Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bassguy695

Immunization to perscription acne medications

I have been suffering with acne since fourth grade. I have hated avery minute of it. About a year ago I went to a dermatoligist and he gave me differn gel and Clindamycin pads. Every since a couple months ago I have asked him to put me on something stronger...he never does. He always replies this is as good as it gets, while my brother got acne free from accutane on the first try. Yeah I'm only 13 but still, can't I take something stronger. And now after taking the same medications for a year my acne has gotten a lot worse. We are going to be going to a new dermatoligist soon, but if you have any tips to explain that I would like a higher dose of something please help. And out of curiosity I was wondering that after a while does your face become immune to a certain medication. I know that happens to people with abtibiotics, but can it happen with acne meds.? Please give me some tips. Thanks a lot.

nope its considered imposible to become immuine to tropics... although some people say they have not sure if thats true but the thory is its impossible as your body does not combat it as it does with interal intresions such as antiboitics.... he may not be putting you on accutane for several reasons not everyone can take tanes without become critically ill or your acne is not bad enough accutane is not just precribed to anyone who wants it.... in some cases some derms dont believe in tanes

You can definitely become immune to clindamyacin. I used it for two years in high school and it worked well until I became immune to it. My Dermatologist told me specifically that I was immune to it. I think clindamyacin and certain other topicals are actually topical antibiotics and thats why you can become immune. Don't hold me to it though lol. But other topicals like Benzoyl peroxide I know you don't become immune to. Probably if your skin has worsened your derm will change you prescription but don't count on accutane to be next. Usually they want to try you on other things first. I can tell you from experience that while accutane works it is only a permanent solution for some. It has a higher success rate with males because they don't have as many hormonal problems with acne as women. If other things don't work for you then you probably will get accutane eventually. Good luck.

I have been suffering with acne since fourth grade. I have hated avery minute of it. About a year ago I went to a dermatoligist and he gave me differn gel and Clindamycin pads. Every since a couple months ago I have asked him to put me on something stronger...he never does. He always replies this is as good as it gets, while my brother got acne free from accutane on the first try. Yeah I'm only 13 but still, can't I take something stronger. And now after taking the same medications for a year my acne has gotten a lot worse. We are going to be going to a new dermatoligist soon, but if you have any tips to explain that I would like a higher dose of something please help. And out of curiosity I was wondering that after a while does your face become immune to a certain medication. I know that happens to people with abtibiotics, but can it happen with acne meds.? Please give me some tips. Thanks a lot.

Clindamycin, like all antibiotics, doesn't work indefinitely. The Differin takes a long time to yield results, and if you don't pop and pick, it can be very effective for people after a few months of continuous nightly treatment. Of course, there are always patients that it won't work for.

Isotretinoin (Accutane) is the most potent acne-fighting drug out there and has always been regarded as a last resort. It depends on the dermatologist, but you usually have to have nodular and cystic acne to get a prescription for it. I've seen some ridiculous cases where a person with a mild to moderate case somehow gets their dermatologist to knuckle under. If I were you, I would ask about Differin 0.3% and Retin-A Micro before even considering the idea of isotretinoin. Exhaust all the other possibilities first. Believe me, I felt the same exact way as you do now. I wanted the iso-, and I'm glad I didn't end up taking it because the retinoids, after many months, really helped me a lot.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :)