Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Milky_Joe

Should i quit BP?

Hi all, i've been using my own version of the regimen for i guess about 5 months now and am thinking of dropping the BP but just thought i'd ask for some of your opinions on this beforehand as i know this leads to breakouts for many...

When i first started using BP it seemed to be making some improvment to my skin, though maybe not as much as i would have liked, probably due to the fact i was only using it night. As my acne was really pretty mild most days BP twice a day seemed a bit extreme. Overall the BP idn't seem to be having much effct at all after a few months, but i continued using it for fear of a breakout. For me the product that really made some noticable improvments was Johnsons Baby Lotion, used as a moisturiser twice a day. The first night i used it i woke up the next morning with no new spots on my face for the first time in quite a while and my skin only seems to be improving with further use. It seems to have pretty much taken care of the whiteheads bigger spots i used to suffer from although it's made absolutely no impact on the blackheads on my nose. For this reson I've recently purchased a 10% glycolic acid night treatment but am wondering whether i should just cut out the BP when i start using this as the combination of both could be a little harsh on my skin. It seems like it should be safe enough to quit the BP as it never seemed to make much of an impact anyway but just wondering what the experiences of other people who have quit BP for other product have been?

For me personally BP did nothing, initially it reduced the size of existing break out but after a couple of months use Inoticed my skin getting considerably worse. Huge amount of deep nodules (i think they are called). I stopped using it a few days ago and my situation hasnt got any worse, slightly better if anything!

I'd say try not using it for a couple of days, see how things go. If you start to break out then you can always go back, but i guess you wont know until you try it? BP doesnt work for everyone, you have to find that works for you.

:o)

When you say your own version of the regimen, what exactly do you mean? Also, have you tried upping the amount of BP? Many times, that's all it will take to get you clear - er....finally. Read through Number1nerd's gallery. She was having issues until she realized that she didn't up the BP enough.

For me personally BP did nothing, initially it reduced the size of existing break out but after a couple of months use Inoticed my skin getting considerably worse. Huge amount of deep nodules (i think they are called). I stopped using it a few days ago and my situation hasnt got any worse, slightly better if anything!

Yeah i got the same thing, number of terrible deep nodules on one side of my chin, left some bad scars too.

When you say your own version of the regimen, what exactly do you mean?

Only applying BP at night and only on the areas where i tend to get acne (chin+forehead). Had a wee read through Number1nerd's thread and yeah probably not using recommended amount but then I'm not using it all over my face either, I'd say I apply quite a lot to the areas where I do apply it.

Overall think I will just try without the BP for a wee bit and see if it has any effect, my main problem the now is blackheads anyway which BP has no effect on but I understand some people have had success with AHAs so I'll just give my glycolic acid a try for now.

Thanks for your advice both of you :)

I quit BP a few days ago and im really happy with my decision so far. My skin has gotten a few shades lighter and is now almost the exact same color as the rest of my body. Also, my face is nice and smooth at the moment. I went to an all natural treatment. I use a cleanser in the morning and a sunscreen with jojoba oil, then at night i cleanse, use witch hazel and tea tree oil, and then use just jojoba oil to moisturize. It takes loads less time than the regimen and im in love with it. I did get one new pimple since i quit, but its no big deal, and its almost gone now, nothing like the huge breakout people warn about when quitting BP. Its been 4 days now, and my face has just gotten better. Plus, BP generates free radicals in the skin, and may lead to future health risks or premature skin again. I loved dan's regimen, it cleared up my face 200%, but im really glad i got off it.

i stopped using bp a couple of days back( i only use it at night).. i couldnt believe how good my skin was after even one day of not using it still cleansing and using aha...however this morning i broke out for the first time in a long time the worse area being the neck ,spots there take ages to vanish :(. Looks like im going back on the bp but ill experiment in using it like every other day and so on.. because i felt great freedom of not having a nightly routine at the time :(