Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allison12

Antibiotic is making me dizzy!

Hi,

So I just started taking 100 g of Minocycline twice a day. I find that a few hours after I take the pill, I get really dizzy and nauseous.

The dizziness lasts for about 13 hours after it starts, so it's pretty much constant.

Questions:

- Should I talk to my pharmacist (it said this might happen on the med. info sheet)

- What can I do to make the dizziness go away?

- Does anyone know if the dizziness will go away the longer I'm on the pills?

Thanks!

There are specific formulations of minocycline that one can eat with, but I don't know if yours is one of them. Ask your pharmacist.

Make sure you're drinking a FULL glass of water with each pill.

And, you should ask your doctor for guidance anyway as sometimes the dizziness can be a symptom of things that aren't very good but usually the dizziness is accompanied by a headache and double vision. Those can be a sign of serious side effects and you would need to not take anymore pills at all, AND contact your doctor.

Yes, I was told to take food with my minocycline, just no dairy or foods with iron. Is taking minocycline with food better for dizziness? I'd assume it is.

I am drinking some water with the pill - just under a cup. Is that enough, or should I be drinking more?

Whoa, I didn't have any of the headache and double vision stuff. But I will check with my doctor anyway just to be safe. Thanks!

1 cup as in 250ml? Or a measuring cup full? That's not much. Try for at least 8 ounces and make sure you're eating enough with your tablet (a full meal, not just a cracker or two). Food on the stomach while taking a tablet like that will help a lot with dizziness.

And as you're not experiencing headaches or double vision, you're likely fine, but it won't hurt to check with your doctor.

I thought 8 ounces was roughly equal to a cup (I live in Canada, so we don't use ounces at all)?

I was only eating some toast with the pills, I'll try to eat at mealtimes instead.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!