How long have you h...

Notifications
Clear all

How long have you had acne

MemberMember
(@bandito)

Posted : 09/25/2008 10:03 pm

I turn 22 in 5 days and I've had acne everyday since age 13.

i think every single pore on my face has had acne at some point. I currently have about 50 active on my face and 15-20 on my back and chest.

It has gotten to the point where it has completely ruined my life. If i knew I wouldn't be hurting my family so much I would kill myself right now. I would take my car, and drive 120 mph of a cliff.

I cannot go through one more day of this pain. I wake up every morning wishing I was dead.

MemberMember
(@okcuser)

Posted : 09/25/2008 11:43 pm

I'm 20, have had it since 15 years old.

It's destroyed my life. Has made me a socially awkward recluse.

MemberMember
(@mrvonzippy)

Posted : 09/25/2008 11:51 pm

Turned me from a confident and happy person, to a bitter person avoider. Depressed, hurt, angry, and scared are the only feelings i feel.

MemberMember
(@austinsanity)

Posted : 09/26/2008 12:44 am

I was 13-14 when it first started, and now I'm nearly 24 and still dealing with moderate acne. I used to develop a nodule once in awhile (classified as severe I guess), but haven't had one of those in a long time. I've had widespread pustules, papules, and blackheads all over my face at countless points in the last 10 years.

I felt the same way about it as all the previous posters for awhile. I wanted to hide and avoid people. I don't know exactly how I got over it, but one day I honestly just decided to suck it up. Part of that had to do with the fact that Differin has been working for me for the past year, and I think the other side of the coin is that I stopped picking and popping. That always made me look at least 10 times worse. I almost literally looked like I had been through a meet grinder after a picking/popping binge. I still have acne (25% of the time I'm clear, the other 75% I'm either breaking out or healing), but it's not nearly as noticeable if I just leave the lesions alone and let them run their course.

Eventually, somewhere down the road, acne goes away. If it doesn't, you have to realize one day that it's a reality of life that has to be dealt with, and you can't live your life locked in a dark room. I probably would have punched myself for saying anything like this 6 months ago. As an official acne sufferer, I'm here to let you guys know that things will get better. A lot of that is up to you.

MemberMember
(@short2003)

Posted : 09/26/2008 12:57 am

I've had it for almost 8 years.. It really is debilitating and no one understands unless they suffer from the same thing..

I am the ONLY one of my friends who has it and they never understand when I have a few cysts I don't want to go out.

The last time I had 3 cysts in a triangle and I canceled dinner with a few girlfriends one of them was really mad at me. It's so frustrating to me that it controls my life..

I never leave my house without make-up and sometimes I put off grocery shopping and other pretty important things because I dont feel like going through the process of putting on my "mask" Honestly, if I didnt have to I probably would never leave my house but I do since I have 2 kids and take them to school and activities.. Plus I work but I have missed work a few times b/c of skin/acne issues..

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 09/26/2008 1:46 am

I turn 22 in 5 days and I've had acne everyday since age 13.

i think every single pore on my face has had acne at some point. I currently have about 50 active on my face and 15-20 on my back and chest.

It has gotten to the point where it has completely ruined my life. If i knew I wouldn't be hurting my family so much I would kill myself right now. I would take my car, and drive 120 mph of a cliff.

I cannot go through one more day of this pain. I wake up every morning wishing I was dead.

Ive had acne since I was twelve or thirteen. Honestly, I dont recollect which but nevertheless that is too long! Im 24

MemberMember
(@badradical)

Posted : 09/26/2008 2:12 am

Is it a good or a bad thing that I have no idea? I don't see how anyone can remember how long they've had it. I sure couldn't.

MemberMember
(@enough-already)

Posted : 09/26/2008 5:27 am

Since 13, I turn 21 in January. It's turned me into a social retard that has never been on a single REAL date in my life. I have sex with my house furniture to relieve my frustration and weep like an obese girl whose date ran away during the prom, most nights. My mum is responsible for cleaning up my mess I leave, but only when I'm home outside of uni term time. I just say it's toothpaste and it works usually. She hasn't asked why I brush my teeth in the front room yet though...

MemberMember
(@short2003)

Posted : 09/26/2008 12:14 pm

Is it a good or a bad thing that I have no idea? I don't see how anyone can remember how long they've had it. I sure couldn't.

I remember b/c it was when I got pregnant with my first child.. He is my constant reminder of when/why my acne started :) ...

MemberMember
(@loyaltydeath)

Posted : 09/26/2008 3:57 pm

I think my acne started when i was 16-17 i'm not quite sure my acnes been really mild all these years with a couple of pimples here and there until i broke out pretty bad last year, but since then i've totally eliminated fried/spicey foods and dairy products but i can't seem to be totally clear...yea its annoying...

MemberMember
(@knopper67)

Posted : 09/26/2008 4:11 pm

I started getting cystic acne when I turned 13. The cysts stoped when I was 14 1/2. And then a lot of pimples from 15 and up. Now I'm 3 days till my 16th bday and I'm practically clear.

...but a shit load of scars remain.

EDIT: a lot of people from Canada in this thread...including me :D Hello fellow Canadians!! lol

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 09/26/2008 5:51 pm

*hug* It's such a pain and I empathize with you.

I had cystic acne for 12 years. I'm finally clear and...wow...I can't explain the good feeling, but I'm also scared. I'm always thinking it'll come back tomorrow. I hate acne.

MemberMember
(@makeitmakesense)

Posted : 09/26/2008 11:00 pm

I developed acne out of nowhere 3 months ago and it has absolutely destroyed my confidence.

MemberMember
(@badradical)

Posted : 09/26/2008 11:10 pm

I remember b/c it was when I got pregnant with my first child.. He is my constant reminder of when/why my acne started :) ...

Haha, yeah, well that's a given.

MemberMember
(@eat11)

Posted : 09/26/2008 11:20 pm

Funny I was actually thinking this earlier this morning. I started with a few pimples here and there when I was 11 by the time I was 12 I had severe acne. I remember how horrible it was, every inch of my face was covered in pimples. My mom decided to buy me Proactiv before I started grade 8 and luckily it worked. I had a few pimples here and there throughout grade 8 but nothing to serious. As far as I can remember throughout grade 9 my acne was doing pretty well, not picture perfect skin but it was decent. Then during the summer before grade 10 my skin started doing horribly not as bad as when I was 12 but it came out on my cheeks a lot, and has been ever since (that was 3 years ago)

My skin has had it's ups and downs lately but right now it's a real downer :(.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 09/26/2008 11:22 pm

Since 13, I turn 21 in January. It's turned me into a social retard that has never been on a single REAL date in my life. I have sex with my house furniture to relieve my frustration and weep like an obese girl whose date ran away during the prom, most nights. My mum is responsible for cleaning up my mess I leave, but only when I'm home outside of uni term time. I just say it's toothpaste and it works usually. She hasn't asked why I brush my teeth in the front room yet though...

lol the situation isnt funny but what you wrote is

MemberMember
(@short2003)

Posted : 09/27/2008 12:59 am

I developed acne out of nowhere 3 months ago and it has absolutely destroyed my confidence.

I read one of your posts when I first started posting on this board and I just wanna give you a hug..lol.. Acne takes so much out of a person, mentally, physically and emotionally.. It's like getting your identity stolen.. I get quite upset when I look at pictures of myself previous to about Feb 2008 because that isn't who I am now.. I am not "her" anymore, she is a different person.. We don't look the same, we don't think the same, we don't act the same.. It really is like I died on the inside but Im still here physically

MemberMember
(@stu2u)

Posted : 09/28/2008 6:40 am

I've had acne for 31 years now, it started when I was 12, I'm 43 now

I have mainly had moderate to servere comedonal acne, even 7 years on Accutane has failed to stop the sebum production.

I work hard at keeping my skin clear and must now have spent over a year of my life in front of the mirror squeezing blackhead outs.

MemberMember
(@makeitmakesense)

Posted : 09/28/2008 5:20 pm

I read one of your posts when I first started posting on this board and I just wanna give you a hug..lol.. Acne takes so much out of a person, mentally, physically and emotionally.. It's like getting your identity stolen.. I get quite upset when I look at pictures of myself previous to about Feb 2008 because that isn't who I am now.. I am not "her" anymore, she is a different person.. We don't look the same, we don't think the same, we don't act the same.. It really is like I died on the inside but Im still here physically

Aww..thank you, that was really sweet. That's exactly how I feel and I'm glad someone understands. It has not been a pleasant experience that's for sure. I've come a long way since thst post and slowly but surely, things are getting better and I really hope they are for you too. Thank you again.

MemberMember
(@jim-davidson)

Posted : 09/29/2008 2:26 pm

Hi guys,

Been a lurker here for a while and often drift in here when my acne flairs up for some moral support! Had mild/moderate acne since about 17ish and it's been a bumpy ride, I can totally empathise with all the emotions that fly around your head. The mirror is a great foe of mine that I have epic battles with, I often avoid eye contact, find it awkward buying clay masks in Boots, sometimes blame my mum for my genes, envy my sisters clear skin..blah the list goes on..

Please DO NOT drive cars off cliffs/drink bleach/nail yourself to a cross/listen to peoples derogitory comments/pass your displeasure to others. DO remember that it is human nature to question/doubt/lack confidence/cry/see no end. OUR 'problem' is one of a myriad that plague people everyday and can manifest itself in any form - it just happens to be more visible! Trust me the people who grief/bully/criticise are not only socially inept anuses of society but more insecure and simply want that bit of power over you.

Right I won't bore you with anymore of the motivational feel good bouncy friend shit. He's how I combat the shit storm that I often get caught in (this is my storm you will have to learn to combat your own through your own means).

1. I grew some balls and faced people- this was was similar to ramming knives into my eyes facing stares from people. People will expect you to look away and have preconceptions how you will react, what could be better than to buck this?

2. I got angry, very, very, very angry. Silverback in a cage style - I have never felt so much anger in my life and I'm a relatively passive easy going person. My solution was the gym and smashing the shit out of that aggression everyother day. Maybe this is slightly egotistical (self centred, wanting recognission from peers) BUT it has made me feel great and I will never look back.

3. If you don't already find a great set of friends. My bunch are great they NEVER put me down and we have goodtimes. Yes I have had those mates who are complete obnoxious morons - ditch them that's the bottom line. Who wants friends who put you down? (See point 1)

4. Pick GOOD POINTS - I can hear you all gasping in disbelief (well some :)) we all have them wether they be physical, social, hairy, shaven. Go on give it a try..

5. PERSISTANCE, I cannot emphasise this anymore. It's going to be hard, nothing worth anything is easy.

Oh and one last thing! DANCE TO YOUR OWN BEAT! It's an extremely attractive trait

That's me done please do give it a read and at least a think

Maybe not your cup of Earl Grey but rings true for me

:

Edit:

I'm 23..

MemberMember
(@littlelake)

Posted : 10/01/2008 9:32 am

Since I was 13, now I'm 25, been through accutane and everything else you can think of, completely and totally has shot my confidence. I think was is even worse, is accutane worked for me for 3 years, and it was the first time I EVER FELT NORMAL and beautiful. But I had a reaccurance now, and everything is the back to the way it was before.

It hurts know what it feels like to be confident, knowing that I can't have that again because of the emotional drainage that comes along with acne, I always feel like I'm barely sliding by socially. I force myself in social situations, but I can say I rather enjoy being home alone, on my computer, rather than being outside. On top of that, my passion is being a musician. How the hell am I every supposed to play in front of people?

LOTS of makeup, and a will. Still felt like shit but at least I did it.

MemberMember
(@scoligirl)

Posted : 10/01/2008 7:49 pm

I think since when I was about 12 or so. I'm 21 now, so right around 10 years. But periodically I would have a couple months that I would be decently clear, then it's like I would get too confident and I would be knocked down by a breakout that was so incredibly painful and red and all over my face that it hurt to smile. Luckily I had awesome friends in jr high, high school, and college, so it helped with the embarassment a bit, but it was always terrible when everyone else was going out on dates and had boyfriends while I was just tagging along or whatever. *sigh* Well hopefully in a couple months here...

MemberMember
(@kc01cxt)

Posted : 10/01/2008 10:37 pm

I started getting it when i was 21...I'm now 23. Never had a pimple iduring puberty! Something just switched off in my body....it's very upsetting. I wish i had this when i was a teenager rather than now.

MemberMember
(@dennisleon)

Posted : 09/08/2020 1:49 am

The acne starts at the early age or when your start become adult. It develop when hormones starts changing.

I was reading a blog which explained and gave a good products for treating acne.

[removed]

Thanks

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 09/15/2020 9:06 am

40 years here, and I'm not kidding! I haven't been on in 4 years! I think that I'm onto something B-I-G here! It unfortunately may not apply to everyone, forthcoming SOON! I hope might help someone out there!