Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StandingAlone

I dont know whats left for me..

I'm 21 years old and have had acne for at least 8 years now. I've honestly forgotten what it is to be clear. I've been through many things through this time period but nothing has brought me away from the constant obsession about my skin.

I've tried many things, some worked for a while but most didnt..but now here i sit my face feels like its about to fall off, seriously. my acne has gotten quite a bit worse this past week and i have no clue why. I wish i had a picture to post but take my word for it, my i have acne everywhere on my face.

I'm engaged so she lives with me here at my apt. I've not been wanting to leave my house for a while now. i've even not been to work a couple days this week, yeah its that bad. I know shes getting aggravated but what can i do? i cant just pretend like its not there when i feel it evertime i move my face. I'm just so sick of this shit.

Anyway. I'm thinking very seriously about accutane. Taking into account the horror stories, i just cant see it getting much worse than it already is. accutane is said to be a long-term fix and thats what i'm searching for. someone please give me some feedback on this, i feel i'm going to really need some advice to get my nerve up enough to do this.

Sounds tough at the moment but congrats on being engaged, you may feel like you look like shit but your a lucky guy at the end of the day. I most definitely suggest speaking with your partner if you have not already, she must understand and perhaps she can advise you about the accutane choice. I know next to nothing about the drug other than it being very powerful and risky, whoch you clearly know already. Good luck.

hey man

this is a really big decision... after seeing so many doctors i found an antibiotic that worked to clear me, 100%. while i was on the antibiotic i would be 100%, it was a miracle. and life was amazing. the difference was unimaginable.

however, this antibiotic had side effects. each day i felt quite nausious. i was on the medicine for 1 whole year, i forgot what it was like to have acne (well actually i have gram negative folliculitis, the treatment is different, but basically it looks like acne).

anyway, recently i got really sick and i had to stop the antibiotic. now im completely broken out and depressed. however i wont go back on it. at least with acne i can still get up and move around, do the things i like (even though im so depressed i dont do it, the option still exists).

when i was sick from the medicine i may have been clear skinned but the option to do things was taken away, so i wasnt happy anyway.

its up to you man. all im saying is analyze the risks and the benefits. it depends how severe your case is. for me, when im at my WORST, it is very severe, i dont want to leave the house. however, most of the time its manageable. discuss it with a doctor. but i know how shit acne is, so if yours is severe i would say go for it, goodluck with whatever u choose

i have to add that being clear really made an amazing difference, when i look at myself now with the acne back, i was a different person. if accutane will get you clear then go for it.

all i was trying to say was that with taking strong medicines, if they have side effects that make you sick and you have to stop them and the acne comes back it will be really distressing. once u get clear u wont wanna go back.

i change my mind every day if i wanna go back on the long term antibiotics. every minute lol. but then i remember being in hospital and i know its not an option.

basically i would take a strong medicine as a last resort, i dont know your history. but if u are severe then dont waste time fucking around with stuff that doesnt work, go for it, goodluck

hey man

this is a really big decision... after seeing so many doctors i found an antibiotic that worked to clear me, 100%. while i was on the antibiotic i would be 100%, it was a miracle. and life was amazing. the difference was unimaginable.

however, this antibiotic had side effects. each day i felt quite nausious. i was on the medicine for 1 whole year, i forgot what it was like to have acne (well actually i have gram negative folliculitis, the treatment is different, but basically it looks like acne).

anyway, recently i got really sick and i had to stop the antibiotic. now im completely broken out and depressed. however i wont go back on it. at least with acne i can still get up and move around, do the things i like (even though im so depressed i dont do it, the option still exists).

when i was sick from the medicine i may have been clear skinned but the option to do things was taken away, so i wasnt happy anyway.

its up to you man. all im saying is analyze the risks and the benefits. it depends how severe your case is. for me, when im at my WORST, it is very severe, i dont want to leave the house. however, most of the time its manageable. discuss it with a doctor. but i know how shit acne is, so if yours is severe i would say go for it, goodluck with whatever u choose

I'm 21 years old and have had acne for at least 8 years now. I've honestly forgotten what it is to be clear. I've been through many things through this time period but nothing has brought me away from the constant obsession about my skin.

I've tried many things, some worked for a while but most didnt..but now here i sit my face feels like its about to fall off, seriously. my acne has gotten quite a bit worse this past week and i have no clue why. I wish i had a picture to post but take my word for it, my i have acne everywhere on my face.

I'm engaged so she lives with me here at my apt. I've not been wanting to leave my house for a while now. i've even not been to work a couple days this week, yeah its that bad. I know shes getting aggravated but what can i do? i cant just pretend like its not there when i feel it evertime i move my face. I'm just so sick of this shit.

Anyway. I'm thinking very seriously about accutane. Taking into account the horror stories, i just cant see it getting much worse than it already is. accutane is said to be a long-term fix and thats what i'm searching for. someone please give me some feedback on this, i feel i'm going to really need some advice to get my nerve up enough to do this.

You need to accept that you have a genetic defect that may never go away. Acne is a genetic defect and all we can do is treat it, there is no cure. When one can accept the inevitable one can find peace.

By all means go see the docs an derms and get treatment for this abnormaility in your skin but most of all the battle must be fought in your head. Emotionally you have to accept this. Do you see people that have lost an arm or leg stop living their lives? No we don't they get on with it because they have accepted that this is life for them now.

I don't mean to sound Insenitive, I have been through what you are going through. You are engaged to a beautiful woman, you have an home and a job. You have a lot going for you. You need to focuss on what you have rather than what you don't have. Acne is not life threatening, It will not physically kill you. However it is very mentally destructive so this is where your battle has to be fought. The mind and body walk hand in hand with each other, one cannot survive without the other.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Thank you all for your posts. As soon as i posted this i talked to my fiance about the situation and suprisingly she was very open to it. The biggest battle to me i think is actually going to the docs and sitting there in the waiting room, as odly as that sounds. I have pretty much made up my mind that early next week I will set up an apointment with a local derm that I have been to before..given he didnt really impress me the first time around I will do my best to make him understand the situation.

As far as side effects go, I'm really not worried about feeling sick or anything like that because if its only that, at least I have a logical reason not to want to leave my house..not only that but I'm just so tired of the same old cycle, the pressure of knowing that I may be clear one day then broken out the next. You all have helped me come to my decision and I really appreciate your concern.

I used Roaccutane (Accutane) and I never once regretted the decision as the results were unbelievably astonishing and the effect it had on my self confidence was amazing, but I will say talk it through with your dermatologist first and make yourself fully aware of the risks that you're taking, because going by the stories I've heard from other people it's like playing Russian Roulette.