Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redjambluejams

My Generic Roaccutane Log

OK, so I've had acne for six years now, it's deifnitely in the 'severe' stage, has been for about 5 years. I've tried everything and was meant to go on roaccutane back in 2005 but I have a fear of needles, which I have only recently gotten over. So I can do the blood tests now.

Anyway, my doctor gave me 40mg to start with, which i'll take for six weeks, and then after that we may up the dose to 60 or higher. I've been taking it for just over a week now, about half way into the week I started getting very dry lips and tight dry skin around my chin. and for some reason, the skin around my eyelids and eyebrows is very flakey, if i just rub it lots of bits of dead skin fall off. i THINK this is a reaction to the roaccutane, although i can't be 100% since all of these things happen to me anyway from time to time.

ok so, seeing as I do have very severe acne, perhaps it might be interesting to see how roaccutane deals with that compared to moderate acne. I'm also keeping this log because I think it would help me keep things in perspective, maybe in two weeks I could look back and see that actually it's better than it was.

ACH! I just took a photo and realised I've left my cable elsewhere, so I can't upload one just yet. But I will upload it as soon as possible.

Oh well, here goes. This feels like my last chance, so I'm hoping for the best.

Good luck with your course redjambluejams! One thing to keep in mind though is that it'll take time, so in two weeks you may not see much of a difference besides the side effects. During week 2 I had a pretty bad breakout. Things get better though, from what I hear. =)

Keep us updated.

Yeah, I don't expect things to get better by two weeks, but maybe I'll have stopped breaking out so severely by then.

Well I guess this is day 8:

For about the 5th day running, I've woken up to find the area around my chin very tight and my lips very dry and several whiteheads all over my chin. I figure it must have some relation to my chin feeling very dry, because the breakout isn't as severe elsewhere. So I'm moisturizing constantly, and before bed I rub a small amount of olive oil in. But every morning I wake up with horribly dry skin and whiteheads, it's getting frustrating because if this keeps up my skin is going to look the worst it ever has (which would be really something). This is all especially difficult because I've just started university, so I'm having to meet new people a lot which can be so hard. I just have to keep telling myself that it's going to get better.

Hey there, I'm quite a bit further on with the Roaccutane medication than you are. I found your blog on the homepage so i thought i'd drop you a line. I found this on youtube a while back, and when i read that you were using oil i thought of this video. Have a look, it might help change your decision if your worried about an outbreak

Unfortunately, I can't watch YouTube videos on this connection.

Day 11:

Well my skin seems to be very slowly getting less stretched and dry, and with that I'm getting fewer breakouts - although I'm still getting a few each morning. My lips are still as dry as ever. This morning I woke up at 6am with a nose bleed, then at 10am I had another one which seemed to go on forever. I really hope this doesn't become a frequent thing, it's OK when it's just me in my room but if I'm getting nosebleeds in class or when talking to people that's going to get difficult.

Long time w/o an update!

Day 37:

Well for quite a while there my skin seemed to be getting better. I mean, I did still have very severe acne, but I didn't count one breakout in about two weeks. Then last week I got a boil-sized spot on my cheek and over the past few days I've been getting the very dry skin and lots of little white pimples on the chin area. It's so frustrating because I was doing so well, and I have something coming up tomorrow that I really wanted to be at least reasonably good for, not worse than ever. I spoke to my doctor yesterday, he said he's going to put me up to 60mg (from 40mg) for the next 3 months, so here's hoping this dose increase will bring some change. Getting really sick of it all.

ps. I have been taking pictures, but still no way to upload them just yet.

Day 39:

Wow. Things have really taken a bad turn, I woke up this morning with maybe 20 pimples on my chin, this is killing me. As I said, I started 60mg a couple of days ago, so maybe it's that. Words can't explain how frustrated I am that just a week or so ago my skin was looking as good as it has for so long, and I was building a lot of confidence back up, now it's all ruined. On top of that my skin is painfully dry and sore, so I'm having to use vaseline on it which is very shiny, I don't expect I'll be leaving my room much for a bit.

Stick with it redjambluejams! I am almost into my second week of 80mg per day and feel like i am breaking out like crazy. The first week i thought it was clearing up, but then it just kept getting worse and worse. Look at it this way, you're better off getting the breakouts over with within the first two months or so, then have the last portion of the course show improvements! Don't get too discouraged, its only temporary! Before you know it you'll be having to search for pimples!!

thanks! yeah it's crazy to think i've been living with this for so many years and even though i know the end is in sight, it still makes the big breakouts just as bad. i should feel happier but i don't. obviously i will once I get better, but I guess right now it's just the fact that I really thought I was finally on the path to recovery when bam, I lost all of it almost overnight.

But anyway! Day 40:

Gonna be on 60mg for the rest of my course, apparently. i hear some people are on 80 or even higher, and considering my acne is very severe i don't really know why I'm going to be sticking with just 60. Then again I did read online that there is no conclusive proof that a higher dosage of roaccutane will actually make a lot of difference in the long run.

Either way, I think my skin is settling down again. It really went batshit insane for a few days there, and it's still dry and sore but I think that's just because of the intense breakout. This morning I woke up for the first time and only saw one or two spots and they were fairly minor, too. Here's hoping things really start getting better from now on, I mean I'm a month and a half in, I must be over the breakout stage by now?

Day 52:

Well there's definitely some sort of pattern here. Once again I've hardly had any breakouts since my last post, maybe one or two minor spots in the past two weeks. but i'm thinking, am i just going to get another severe breakout in the next week or two? What's worrying me the most is that ultimately, there's no real improvement. Yes I have stopped breaking out but my face is still covered in acne, I can notice the difference but very generally speaking, it's not much different to before. I know I know it can take a while to kick in but I'll very soon be approaching the two month mark and have nothing in the way of progress, are things really going to turn around within the next month? I just can't see that happening. I was told it would be a month before changes began to happen, so I was patient, but it's nearly two months now and I've got nothing of any note to show for it. Have any of you had very sudden turnarounds on roaccutane? I really had my heart set on being moderately clear for the first time in years by christmas but if things carry on at this rate I'm not so sure. Maybe I need a stronger dose? Only trouble is I can't see my derm until the start of February!

This is killing me. I'm not expecting miracles, but if things could just start looking better that would give me something to cling to.

I should point out, I'm not one of these people who go on roaccutane with about 5 or 10 red spots on their face, I have full blown acne. It's very red and it's literally everywhere except my forehead.