Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moreno

Antibiotics has it cured anyone in here ?

All ive read on this site is people bashing Antibiotics. Then why do derm prescribe them if they dont work ? So my question is have Antibiotics cured any of you ?

My son's been on minocycline since May along with differin 0.3 at night & he's COMPLETELY clear. Granted it took a good 7 weeks to see significant improvement. He was taking 100mg day/night for 3 months & has been taking only 100mg at night now.

I have cystic acne but I also have Hidradenitis suppurativa, when either of them break out I usually go on flucloxacillin for two weeks then tetracycline antibiotics for 3 months (I have become allergic to tetracycline and cannot tolerate it any more) last year my GP put me on Co Fluampicil 2000mg a day for two weeks and them Clarithromycin 500mg a day for 2-3 months. Last year was the first time I tried this combination the combination worked and I have been free from abscesses since June 2007, I have just recently broke out and I am trying the above combination again fingers crossed.

Although not cured I will take 16 months of no breakouts, no pain, and no scars as a bonus. :think:

Tetracycline has successfully treated my inflamed acne thus far. I also use tretinoin. How long it will work remains to be seen.

There is no "cure" for acne, only treatments.

yes erythromycin did cure me in H.S.

but my docs took me off them after 3 years cuz you can become resistant to them

I tried antibiotics and they didn't change my skin drastically, I still had breakouts. The antibiotics were so harsh on my stomach though I got heartburn and indigestion, it was definitely horrible.

All ive read on this site is people bashing Antibiotics. Then why do derm prescribe them if they dont work ? So my question is have Antibiotics cured any of you ?

Like Nike said, "This is no cure for acne". All antibiotics do is keep the problem under control-they kill the bacteria and also reduce the amount of oil, since they also act as an anti-inflammatory. Along with topical treatments you can usually stay somewhat acne free "but for how long". The only cure for acne is correcting the hormone in-balance that is causing it-That is what is producing all the oil, since these hormones cause irritation to the oil glands causing them to produce excess oil. Researches had manged to straighten out this problem in a test group-90% success rate "how long they didn't include". However, they concluded it was very dangerous, required daily monitoring for a 6 solid months-the big concern was shutting down the adrenal glands in their patients. I wish, I still had the paperwork-I would of posted it. It would never catch on, all derms do is throw antibiotics or accutane at us and/or whatever topical solutions they had some success with. I saw someones mother or father on this thread-glad to see some parents understand what the kid is dealing with.

I have never seen an older person with acne "Makes ya wonder huh". They say, less then 1 % over the age of 50-in my opinion the others have been wiped out from over use of antibiotics and or accutane. I have heard of one gentleman that is 62 and had been using 10mg accutane daily for the past 12 years.

I am using some lymecycline/tetralysal thing an its working fairly well while im using it, but the moment i stop taking it i know it wont have done much for me permanently. You could say the same thing though for anything, its not just antibiotics.

i need to find a way of controlling breakouts without using any prescriptions, that is my aim, not to get on accutane just because its the strongest stuff.

Ive been on Mino for a month and a half ive now stopped taking it. I saw some results the first two weeks but nothing amazing like completely healing it. But I haven't really seen any side effects from stopping

My doctor told me antibiotics would have effect on mild/moderate acne but the only medicine that would have any effect on severe acne is accutane