Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm getting lots of flakes in my hair. i have really dry hair anyway, so its gotten worse pretty fast on accutane. head and shoulders does not work. what do you recommend?

Guest missyjean130

How often do you wash your hair?

If its not oily,just rinse it out with cold water.(for dirt and w/e)

I'm looking for a good moisturizing treatment myself

How often do you wash your hair?

If its not oily,just rinse it out with cold water.(for dirt and w/e)

I'm looking for a good moisturizing treatment myself

i wash it daily. and i know that's really bad, and you're not supposed to. the reason i do, is because i am hispanic, so i have verrrry thick, frizzy, curly hair. so i wash it to get the product out that i use to hold the curl during the day :/

i have a bottle of jojoba oil and it says its good for your hair & scalp, as well as your skin. i'm just not sure how to go about using it on my scalp.

my scalp also flakes. i wash my hair 2-3 times a week with Mill Creek biotin shampoo (supposed to strengthen hair i think) and the same brand jojoba conditioner. trying to do the all natural hair care and so far i like it a lot. i also massage in pure jojoba oil about 30min before i wash and that seems to help with the flaking. i really like the jojoba conditioner. it keeps my normally frizzy hair pretty tamed. i'm on day 60 of tane and hopefully my hair wont get too dry as my course continues.

Nizoral, Head & shoulders and other commercial brand shampoos will be too harsh for people who are on accutane. Try Thera Neem Oil Shampoo instead. You can purchase it in the internet.

I rub olive oil into my scalp and hair and leave it for about an hour before I wash it, it really helps with the dry scalp and also stops my hair from becoming to dry from the accutane. I also only wash my hair twice a week to stop the irritation.

To be honest though I only found it a problem for the first month or so of accutane. I'm now in my third month and my scalp is a lot less sensitive.

I also have really thick, curly hair that was normally dry before accutane. It's such a pain to try and keep it under control during the day. I also put olive oil in my hair for about an hour, then I shower and leave me conditioner in my hair (I only wash it like twice a week). I then put a shower cap on before bed to hold in the moisture. In the morning I just spritz it with a little water, use my product (glossy hair serum) and my hair is a LOT less frizzy. Even my friends commented that my hair looked great...maybe this will have to be a new regime for when im off the accutane! Hope this helps :)

thank you so much. i'm definitely gonna get a jojoba conditioner & i'll use olive oil on my hair. lba2008- i'm gonna try the same thing you do, it sounds really great!

Dry scalp has been the worst side effect so far for me. It wasn't just dry and flaky, but tingly and itchy. I actually found that mixing the olive oil with honey and milk (all equal parts), massaging it into hair, then covering it with saran wrap has done amazing things. Not only is my scalp not irritated, there are no flakes, and my hair is shiny. I think it might work better than olive oil alone. Good luck!

thank you so much. i'm definitely gonna get a jojoba conditioner & i'll use olive oil on my hair. lba2008- i'm gonna try the same thing you do, it sounds really great!

Dry scalp has been the worst side effect so far for me. It wasn't just dry and flaky, but tingly and itchy. I actually found that mixing the olive oil with honey and milk (all equal parts), massaging it into hair, then covering it with saran wrap has done amazing things. Not only is my scalp not irritated, there are no flakes, and my hair is shiny. I think it might work better than olive oil alone. Good luck!

ooh that sounds like it would be amazing. how long do you leave it on for? and do you rise it out with just water, or shampoo it out?

To tell you the truth, i dont remeber the last time i washed my hair with shampoo. Because when i did, it would be the worst day ever. All i use now is conditioner and it works wonders. I still wash my hair every night too

yeah, i've actually come to really like it. i put it on my (dry) hair as soon as i wake up, and leave it in while i eat breakfast and check email, etc., until i get my shower. that's usually about an hour, but i would guess that thirty minutes would probably do the trick.

one tip: even though the honey keeps it more or less in place, some of the oil will sometimes imperceptibly trickle down, so i'd suggest either doing it sans chemise (i.e., without a shirt on) or with an old shirt you don't care for. also, when wrapping in saran wrap, it's good to make yourself a hood by wrapping the roll around your head a few times. not only does it keep the stuff from dripping, it also keeps heat in, which i presume helps the oil seep in.

hope it works--let me know if it does...

ooh that sounds like it would be amazing. how long do you leave it on for? and do you rise it out with just water, or shampoo it out?

PS: Yes, I use a mild shampoo; it's enough to get all the goop out, without getting too much out.

yeah, i've actually come to really like it. i put it on my (dry) hair as soon as i wake up, and leave it in while i eat breakfast and check email, etc., until i get my shower. that's usually about an hour, but i would guess that thirty minutes would probably do the trick.

one tip: even though the honey keeps it more or less in place, some of the oil will sometimes imperceptibly trickle down, so i'd suggest either doing it sans chemise (i.e., without a shirt on) or with an old shirt you don't care for. also, when wrapping in saran wrap, it's good to make yourself a hood by wrapping the roll around your head a few times. not only does it keep the stuff from dripping, it also keeps heat in, which i presume helps the oil seep in.

hope it works--let me know if it does...

i use neutrogena tgel with menthol for the flakes/itch, and head & shoulders dry scalp care conditioner. also, i only wash my hair every couple of days. works for me, so far (at 2.5 months)!

Everybody's hair is different - so accutane and various treatments will work differently on everyone.

My hair is very thin, very straight, and (used to be) very oily. I was really concerned about how dry my hair was getting, so went to my hairdresser this past weekend. She said that it was really not so dry, just really dry for what I'm used to. She suggested using a product called kholesterol on my scalp at night if was worried about it, but I really didn’t need it. Haven't tried it yet, so this isn't a reccomendation - just passing along a suggestion!

Apparently, which I didn't really understand before, hair is oily from the scalp, not from the hair. So if your hair is dry from accutane you need to treat the scalp, not the hair itself.

I rub olive oil into my scalp and hair and leave it for about an hour before I wash it, it really helps with the dry scalp and also stops my hair from becoming to dry from the accutane. I also only wash my hair twice a week to stop the irritation.

To be honest though I only found it a problem for the first month or so of accutane. I'm now in my third month and my scalp is a lot less sensitive.

I used to have normal, non-oily hair. Since being on Accutane my scalp has become drier and lots of flakes. I am going to try olive oil. I wash my hair once a week.

It gives me hope that you only had this problem for the first month. I've been on it for 1,5 months now.

Edited by kiaora