Notifications
Clear all

Does drinking alcohol the night before help acne?

MemberMember
(@pimples-titus)

Posted : 09/20/2008 10:34 pm

This may sound kinda extreme, but i noticed the few times that I drank lots of alcohol the night before, my pimples improve alot the next morning. Has anyone else had this experience?

Usual Treatement Plan:

Proactive Renewing Cleanser

(Sulfur Mask twice a week)

Proactive Revitalization toner

2.5% BP (or proactive repair lotion if i go out)

Alcohol before Bed once a week

MemberMember
(@alvin)

Posted : 09/20/2008 10:37 pm

i got trashed a last night at my friends. woke up busted out on my chin and cheeks. wierd.

MemberMember
(@glamorbomb)

Posted : 09/21/2008 8:34 am

In my case, it never helps my blemishes.

Why?

Because I usually pass out before I remember to wash my face before I sleep! :(

Interesting theory, though.

MemberMember
(@rubbish)

Posted : 09/21/2008 8:50 am

This may sound kinda extreme, but i noticed the few times that I drank lots of alcohol the night before, my pimples improve alot the next morning. Has anyone else had this experience?

Alcohol lowers blood glucose levels, so if you drink after a sugary meal it counteracts hyperglycemia.

It can only do so much though.

Usually when you drink you also have carbs in beer or sugary mixers or high cal kebabs.

If you just stick to vodka and diet mixers and avoid all snacks (sugary or fatty) then the effect is more pronounced.

Diabetics are encouraged now to have an alcoholic drink but limited as it helps blood glucose levels, however if they are using insulin they have to be careful of hypoglycemia.

Hyperglycemia can cause acne. Basically overeating.

MemberMember
(@mr-a)

Posted : 09/22/2008 3:30 am

I have gotten so messed up, that I forget Im ugly! :D

MemberMember
(@kimmyloz)

Posted : 09/23/2008 8:23 pm

well when i get plastered, and i will say i'm a beer drinker myself, it seems to reduce the inflammation! and the next day my skin is a little dryer. but later that week i get another breakout so no, i dont think it really works that well. alcohol may have some dehydrating effect that dries out your skin, but when your skin returns to normal, your acne will come back with a vengence! i once discovered this same thing and started drinking two beers every night to reduce the inflammation of my pimples, but in the end, i just broke out more! hahaha lol! but seriously, love the enthusiasm! what's your drink of choice?

MemberMember
(@mikedt)

Posted : 09/24/2008 8:35 pm

I drink usually on the weekends and have noticed my skin to be drier and blemishes drying up a bit. As for helping breakouts, I'm not sure.

MemberMember
(@kc01cxt)

Posted : 09/24/2008 10:03 pm

Alcohol cannot be good for your skin, lol I drink every weekend....i'd be ecsatatic if it actually did something for my skin, lol

MemberMember
(@beck444)

Posted : 09/24/2008 10:53 pm

If I drink high quality vodka, gin or rum(straight shots, no fruity/sugary mixed drinks) I seem to wake up with clearer skin, marks faded and oil production decreased. It must be the alcohol drying up sebum or something. I have no clue why my marks look better too. Could be something to do with blood flow to the face? No idea.

But if I drink a lot of beer, wine or cheap liquor my chances of breaking out seem to increase.

MemberMember
(@delanes)

Posted : 05/15/2012 12:15 pm

Sorry if im bringing this post back, but I had to comment. For the summer vacations (dec,jan,feb, here in south america) I probably drink 4 - 5 days a week, a lot. In this 3 months I didn't had a single breakout. Now back to university (and colder weather) I only go out 2 times a week and I have a moderate case of acne. Left cheek gives me problems, everything else its alright, except I get some in my forehead or a one cystic acne a month in another part of the face.

So, yes, I could say that alcohol seems to do great for my acne.

MemberMember
(@gonnariseup)

Posted : 07/23/2012 5:18 pm

I have found same thing. I look better the morning after drinking a lot. Its happened on more than a few occassions so I'm starting to think drinking does help acne. I only drink about once a month, or less so that may have someting to do with it. I think we look better because we have a good time, feel happy, unwind and blow off some steam so it reflects on our appearance.

MemberMember
(@naturalog)

Posted : 02/16/2013 6:19 am

came here because i was searching for a reason why my acne seems to appear better when i drink. my acne also seems to look less inflamed and smaller when i drink.

For example: I am drunk right now and after washing my face I noticed this giant pre-cyst puss-filled nastiness is much smaller and almost flat! I've been noticing this about my overall complexion recently whenever i drink. I think it may be being dehydrated..smoked alot of bud and have cotton mouth so i know im deathly dehydrated lol. whatever reason, im likin it heh

that took alot of effort to type...didnt want to seem like a total idiot lol

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/26/2013 5:30 pm

came here because i was searching for a reason why my acne seems to appear better when i drink. my acne also seems to look less inflamed and smaller when i drink.

For example: I am drunk right now and after washing my face I noticed this giant pre-cyst puss-filled nastiness is much smaller and almost flat! I've been noticing this about my overall complexion recently whenever i drink. I think it may be being dehydrated..smoked alot of bud and have cotton mouth so i know im deathly dehydrated lol. whatever reason, im likin it heh

reservetarol in red wine is a powerful anti oxidant and can help acne in some cases

MemberMember
(@haeley)

Posted : 02/26/2013 6:32 pm

Wow! Whenever I drink without fail I always get a big acne cyst within the next day or two. Even if it is just one drink, no matter what type of drink it is. You are all very lucky if it helps you, apparently my body just does not like alcohol at all!

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 02/26/2013 10:55 pm

It helps me I think I drink 12oz ( one can )

Daily.

MemberMember
(@imcrimson)

Posted : 03/01/2013 6:01 am

I have to confirm drinking does help my achne, I was actually looking up why it works lol I first noticed it when I was 17. (I had terrible achne from the age of 12-18/19) I came home from a party was pretty drunk and woke up to most of my pimples being smaller. I tried replicating it and had success, Ive found that if you take 1-2 shots of hard liquor (I use vodka) about 5-10 mins before I go to sleep my achne is drastically reduced by the morning I still apply this today when necessary.

Ive been battling achne since i was about 12, im 23 now. Ive found these are the methods that have gotten me clear skin for weeks at a time.

1. replace your pillow case daily (all that dead skin and oils clog your pores so keep that cover fresh)

2. take 1-2 Shots of hard liquor before bed when you have break outs

3. DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE! your hands produce lots of oils, touch your face as little as possible.

4. Add high anti-oxident juices to your diet, it worked very well for me.

5. When washing your face start with warm water and finish with cold water, the warm opens your pores and allows dirty to leave, finishing with cold water tightens your pores and allows less dirt in and has give if it does get cloged so you can clean it before it becomes a pimple.

6. Over heat yourself while you sleep(if possible) step 2 helps alot with this one, this has to do with increasing blood flow and sweating.

Hope this helps people!