Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tired princess

on accutane, rash on hands?

tried to research a lil bit, just curious if anyone else had this symptom?

i'm on my 2nd month of accutane, just up'd my dosage, and all the sudden i have this bumpy red rash on the top of my hands. like inbetween where my thumb and finger are? and it's sore, esp. when i wash w/hot water.

i'm putting aquaphor on it? does this help?

This has shown up on my the tops of my hands and wrists as well. Its kinda rough and scabbed like and dry. I've been washing my hands with cold/lukewarm water and have been completely avoiding hot water at all costs. I've been putting extra lotion on the area and it seems to help. I would also like to know what else could be put on it. Anyone??

Guest missyjean130

My sister had those (shes on tane too) and eucerin lotions helped her

a lot of people also get cream from their derm if its eczema

Its normal tho!

Guest missyjean130

Use cold water always and avoid washing ur hands too much as well...

I wash my hand often as a hygiene habit and its hard to cut down ,lol

yea I had that aswell, got it quiet bad on my left hand especially. Found that if I just moisturied my hands often id died down after a couple of days and hasny come back since, good luck with everything!

Wow I thought I was the only one. It started on my fore arms, it was red and itchy after a few days it became really dry, skin was peeling off. Then it moved to my hands and arms. It weird not sure if it's the same thing as you guys, I have an appointment tomorrow, I'll ask wtf is going on.

Wow, thank got for this forum! I got this on my hand on Thursday, was really annoyed because just as my IB and flakey skin was starting to calm down this rash on my right hand appeared! I'm seeing my Derm on Wednesday so will ask him about it then.

What is weird tho, my mum had acne when she was young (she says it cleared when she had children) but then when she went through the menopause she started to get excema (similar to this rash on my hand) on her hands and feet! So maybe our skin relies on the oil production and then can't cope when it goes away? Makes you wonder what we are messing with sometimes.

I went to the derm on Tuesday and he confirmed that it was eczema. He said to avoid harsh soaps and hot water when washing hands.

So I talked to my pharmacist and she recommended a Eucerin Lotion alternated with an Aveeno Lotion on my hands throughout the day and then to take my own soap to work. It had calmed down a lot before seeing him on Tuesday but has calmed down more since using these products. She also Aveeno has an oatmeal bath that is really soothing for eczema.

I got the exact same thing. My derm told me it was accutane induced eczema and gave me a cortisone type prescription cream, said to avoid hot water, and to make sure to moisturize

yes! i have that.

my dermatologist gave me desonate and its gotten rid of just about all of it.

it had started on my hands and spread up to my arms.

I think someone else was recently given desonate, too. I had it on the top of my hands and a little patch on one of my arms. I rubbed a bit of aquaphor on it every time I put some on my lips and it cleared up in like 2-3 days. Plus it was something I already had around. lol Someone else mentioned part of it was caused by how dehydrated you can become while on accutane, some I'm making an effort to drink more water. Worth a try if you won't be seeing your derm for awhile.

Wow, well good for you for drinking that much water! I wish I could do that. I'm getting better since I know I need to keep myself hydrated while on this stuff, but seriously, that's awesome! Your kidneys must love you. :)

You should try the Aveeno Oatmeal Bath. The pharmacist told me to use it if the eczema spread further on my body than just my arms. It is supposed to be for people with eczema and it really soothes the skin.

thanks for this post!!! i woke up saturday morning and was itching my hands like crazy (particularly my left hand) i have a red bumpy rash on my wrist and top of my hand...does it go away? i am a hairdresser and i am in hot water all day..my hands are always wet..ggrr

When I was younger, I had eczema on my feet and next to my nostrils. Hydrocortisone helped it a lot. And since my second month of Accutane started, I've been getting flareups on my hands. I applied hydrocortisone and the rashes basically disappeared.

OMG! I GOT THAT TOO when i took accutane. My derm said my skin was just reacting to the med...but it didnt feel right. it hurt, my hands were really dry, and i could barely wash my hands without crying. Moisturize moisturize moisturize! Thats all you can really do

has any1 got a rash on their legs just above their feet? I seem to be the only one with this lol... it's not bumpy at all, just really red, kinda like a sunburn and swollen wtf is this :(

I also had a rash on my hands, i believe its called eczema....nothing serious. the only way you can prevent it is by moisturising as much as possible and by avoid hard soaps (like when youre washing dishes or w.e, try putting on gloves or just use a very mild soap.

Anyone know if neosporin would help for this kind of rash? I have it on the top of my hands and it's very painful.

I guess I answered my own question, put some on last night and this morning they are much less red and painful.

The key is to moisturize religiously. When the rashes broke out on my hands, forearms and shoulders in early month 2, I had to moisturize 2x day. It went away and now I moisturize 1-2 times per day. I use a body milk lotion by La Roche Posay. Find something extremely hydrating. Good luck.