Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I tend to lurk here more than I post. =)

Imagine my horror when - after having lunch with two friends between classes - my face was oily *and* my make-up obviously smeared on my cheeks (I had lab today and had to wear those goggles). I hastily rubbed at the smears with my fingers (after washing my hands, of course) and tried to ignore the brewing zit smack in the middle of my chin, the small clump of smaller zits on my left cheek, the white heads speckled across my forehead, and the red marks doing their own thing.

But then, for some reason unknown to me, I suddenly said to myself "WHATEVER" and marched out of that bathroom and into my last (and lengthy) class. We had to do group work and for a second there I felt anxious but again I chastised myself and threw that garbage out the window, and I was all smiles and friendliness. Driving home, I actually considered not wearing make-up on Monday. I'm too afraid =P but it was a good thought to have! To be honest, I would be better off, because I doubt my skin would be as oily.

Now, I know a lot of posters on here have said how afraid they are of making eye contact. But you know what, I ALWAYS make eye contact, and there are a few reasons why. First of all, it makes you seem interested in the other person, and they'll be more thrilled about your consideration than your skin. Second of all, it makes you seem real intense, focused, and sure of yourself (even if you aren't). And third of all - okay, I'm actually curious to see if people are staring at my newest zit, so by watching their eyes, I can see whether or not they wander. You'll be amazed once you realize that many people will stare back and make eye contact!

Try out the eye contact thing, seriously. Even if you try it out on one person. Even if that one person is your best friend or a family member.

Nice post, a great flourish of true priority!

Eye contact is massively important to people and it can be very hard work but the pay off is immense. I struggle especially when somebody is talking to me for a long time, say above a minute without pause. Looking straight into their eyes I eventually fail because I start to question whether I am actually looking directly into their eyes, or if I have wondered across to just the one, will they even notice that? It's insane must make me seem even more loopy.

wow you have great confidence! This really inspired me because I am starting a new job in which I am not experienced in tomorrow. I will try the eyes thing. Great post! Thanks for the inspiration!

Nice post, a great flourish of true priority!

Eye contact is massively important to people and it can be very hard work but the pay off is immense. I struggle especially when somebody is talking to me for a long time, say above a minute without pause. Looking straight into their eyes I eventually fail because I start to question whether I am actually looking directly into their eyes, or if I have wondered across to just the one, will they even notice that? It's insane must make me seem even more loopy.

haha i know exactly what you mean. i do that too. for me, the eye contact isn't all that sociallly challenging (i have no idea why not), its just physcially awkward. it turns into me trying TOO hard to keep eye contact and i'm staring at them like they're the last piece of pizza. wow i'm a weirdo :blink:

Now, I know a lot of posters on here have said how afraid they are of making eye contact. But you know what, I ALWAYS make eye contact, and there are a few reasons why. First of all, it makes you seem interested in the other person, and they'll be more thrilled about your consideration than your skin. Second of all, it makes you seem real intense, focused, and sure of yourself (even if you aren't). And third of all - okay, I'm actually curious to see if people are staring at my newest zit, so by watching their eyes, I can see whether or not they wander. You'll be amazed once you realize that many people will stare back and make eye contact!

Try out the eye contact thing, seriously. Even if you try it out on one person. Even if that one person is your best friend or a family member.

I thought I was the only one that did this, its actually harder for me not to make eye contact otherwise Ill start wondering if they are looking at my skin, whereas if I make contact I kind of force them to keep their eyes in one place

Thanks for everyone's replies!!!

wow you have great confidence! This really inspired me because I am starting a new job in which I am not experienced in tomorrow. I will try the eyes thing. Great post! Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for everyone's replies!!!

My confidence isn't that great - the class room lights are always dim because we have power-point lectures, which helped my mindset. :) But I'm glad to have been of some help! I can also give some advice about your new job - I work retail so being surrounded by people and talking with them is huge, so what helps is boosting my appearance in other ways (hair, outfit) which makes me feel good about myself.

Jezebel - Okay, I know what you mean! But, you can also use your eyes for great expressions. If the person says something funny or sarcastic (general sarcasm, not aimed at you), you can roll your eyes and laugh. Also, if you are asked a question, or if the person is trying to explain something to you and you're deep in thought, glance upwards or even downwards - doing other expressions like furrowing your brow or pursing your lips - and nod along, gesture, etc. You aren't glued to their eyes, but it's also obvious that you're paying attention. Hope I helped!

haha thanks. i'm not quite as bad at it as i described lol its just that if i get to thinking about "look them in the eye" then it starts looking like im trying too hard. just gotta let it come naturally lol