Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Realme2008

Diet doesn't cause acne, correct?

I think it depends on the individual. I know people who eat horribly and they have clear skin. And here on acne.org, there's people who eat wonderfully healthy, and still have bad skin. For those people, obviously diet isn't a factor. If they're eating well but still get acne, they need to look into other possible causes of their acne, or try a different type of diet.

But if the phrase were to be "NOBODY's acne is caused by their diet" then that's completely untrue. I totally cleared my skin by eating no refined sugars, avoid eating too much fruit, and eating low glycemic foods. Of course, topicals helped, but my diet changed my skin the most. As of right now, I only have three small pimples, and only because I cheated on my diet last night.

Look at the low GL/GI study for the best example. People changed their diet and their acne improved.

The best place to start would be with this sort of diet. Not "more fruits and vegetables" and "water".

Everyone should start by cutting out all grains, and this especially includes gluten grains. Grains are by far the biggest source of high GI/GL foods in the modern diet.

That is the Mann study in Melbourne

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/1/107

If you count GL and restrict it to a certain amount over a day it is effectively a calorie and portion controlled diet as it takes grams of carbohydrates into account.

This occured since the study also stipulated the % split between protein carbs and fat.

Since there was no GL or any counting of calories directly or indirectly at all in the other group they ate pretty much what they wanted.

Inevitably the low GL diet group lost weight and their acne improved due to reducing hyperglycemia.

Telling everyone to cut out grains completely rather than limiting their portions just sets people up who like grains for deprivation which can lead to binges and hyperglycemia.

In hospital studies infections have been reduced by portion and calorie control.

Interesting studies on glucose drips resulted in seeing that high blood glucose levels make infections worse. Acne itself is an infection and causes hyperglycemia so sufferers have to be as careful as diabetics with there portions of food at each meal.

In fact acne is diabetes of the skin so the treatment is the same.

Portion and calorie control.

I agree that portion and calorie control are important, however, portion and calorie control are directly linked to the amount of carbohydrates you eat.

Carbohydrates increase appetite which leads to eating more food.

If you cut out grains, you drastically reduce the number of carbohydrates you eat, lowering your appetite, allowing you to more easily control your portions and calories.

The book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes has a ton of information about this concept. Limiting carbohydrates is by far the best way to limit the amount of food you eat.

Look at the low GL/GI study for the best example. People changed their diet and their acne improved.

The best place to start would be with this sort of diet. Not "more fruits and vegetables" and "water".

Everyone should start by cutting out all grains, and this especially includes gluten grains. Grains are by far the biggest source of high GI/GL foods in the modern diet.

That is the Mann study in Melbourne

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/1/107

If you count GL and restrict it to a certain amount over a day it is effectively a calorie and portion controlled diet as it takes grams of carbohydrates into account.

This occured since the study also stipulated the % split between protein carbs and fat.

Since there was no GL or any counting of calories directly or indirectly at all in the other group they ate pretty much what they wanted.

Inevitably the low GL diet group lost weight and their acne improved due to reducing hyperglycemia.

Telling everyone to cut out grains completely rather than limiting their portions just sets people up who like grains for deprivation which can lead to binges and hyperglycemia.

In hospital studies infections have been reduced by portion and calorie control.

Interesting studies on glucose drips resulted in seeing that high blood glucose levels make infections worse. Acne itself is an infection and causes hyperglycemia so sufferers have to be as careful as diabetics with there portions of food at each meal.

In fact acne is diabetes of the skin so the treatment is the same.

Portion and calorie control.

I agree that portion and calorie control are important, however, portion and calorie control are directly linked to the amount of carbohydrates you eat.

Carbohydrates increase appetite which leads to eating more food.

If you cut out grains, you drastically reduce the number of carbohydrates you eat, lowering your appetite, allowing you to more easily control your portions and calories.

The book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes has a ton of information about this concept. Limiting carbohydrates is by far the best way to limit the amount of food you eat.

I understand in that at home I avoid bread and white rice, not because they causes acne, in the correct portions they do not. It is just that they are very easy to overeat. They also pack a lot of calories for their volume compared to say an apple, orange or even a potato (which rates higher than beef on satiety index).

I find the hated potato with a high GI is very filling, especially cold, same with cold rice (resistant starch and cold foods have lower GI). Adding vinegar also helps satiety.

If I am out socially then I will have a very small portion of white rice or any carbohydrates restricted and leave a lot of it. It is usually the cheapest part of a meal so vendors flood the meal with it. The general rule is that the more refined it is the more care is needed.

Even pasta with its alleged low GI packs a lot of calories in the form of carbohydrates.

The oil in the skin and the acne is due to high levels of insulin not just glucose so even excess fats and protein can trigger it, in fact excess calories.

More and more people have acne, which has increased in relation to portion sizes and refining of foods. Insulin resistance!

EddieE: He said "Many people eats healthy in here and i still see they get acne", He then "...decided to eat whole grain bread , tortillas, white rice sometime , red meats... , whey protein , Nuts , seeds...and is Actually helping!! i am getting clear". I do not see much of a connection between diet and Acne.

Realistically, Acne is caused 50% internally as a maximum, and 50 - 100% of Acne would have an external cause. The skin functions both ways, I would say that the skin needs a good internal environment, and a good external environment in order to function well. I do not think that Acne could be more than 50% internally caused, since the skin seems to designed as more of an external barrier. I therefore think that at most, 50% of Acne is caused by diet. This would be reflected in the fact that in (the one, who financed this study anyway?) low GI diet test, only a 50% improvement was seen.

Healthoid: You said that I had a "...ridiculous line of thinking though because if you go far enough...you could say that the root "cause" of acne is life...the cure for acne is simply to end life". Now, did I say those words, no, you did. People die, therefore life is the root of death, I suppose, because unless you first had life, you would be unable to die (although Jesus says people are not dead, only sleeping). You say that "...Acne is obviously a multifactorial disease, but the evidence is pretty clear at this point that diet plays a significant part", whereas I would not use the word significant at all. You said that "...If diet affects acne, then changing your diet will affect your acne", whereas I am yet to see good proof of this. You highlight the one (yes just the one) "...low GL/GI study for the best example. People changed their diet and their acne improved", and it only improved, it did not clear the acne up fully. Why is "...The best place to start... this sort of diet"? Why is it not "more fruits and vegetables" and "water" that is the best place to start? Why not add better things, instead of taking things out completely. I do not think that people should "...start by cutting out all grains, ...especially includ[ing] gluten grains...", since "...[g]rains are by far the biggest source of high GI/GL foods in the modern diet", because I do not think that doing this will improve Acne at all, and if it would, it would at most improve the Acne by 50% (it might, but I doubt it).

MarsBars: You start off by saying that "...Once again...[i am] wrong. It does not always take 2 weeks for a pimple to form. Many people on this board will get a pimple within hours of eating a food that causes THEM acne". I am saying I do not think it likely, that this is either true or accurate. You say that you "...have no idea why... think this is a bad idea", in passing suggestions to others. I am saying that what you are suggesting may not even affect people's Acne, and that at most, it might improve it by 50%. In fact, I would find it incredible if you saw any benefit from adopting this diet, that could be attributed purely to the change in diet. I can disagree with your suggestion, because I fail to see how it is connected to the health of your skin. Gluten is naturally occuring in many things. You said: "[you are] ...not sure why... think [i am] ...more qualifed to offer suggestions and make statements that make...[you] (and the many others that have found success through diet) seem like inexperienced, unintelligent fools". I never said you were inexperienced or unintelligent, I just think that diet will (at best) only improve acne by 50%, and never clear it. You said to "...Please, list... [my] qualifications", and I have none, except that I know that a special diet will not clear severe Acne, as a result of being able to purely attribute the clearing of the Acne to the dietary change. It certainly did nothing at all for my Acne, and I am suggesting that people perhaps think about avoid going down that path, when it seems to me to lead nowhere. You said that you "...know the large number of people who have had success with this diet", yet I am still not very sure, at all. You also ask, "...where is... [my] evidence"? Well, what evidence are you referring to? Could I do one study, would that be enough evidence for you?

If you have a healthy diet, your chance of having healthy skin improves. Fruit is good for you, and gluten naturally occurs in food. I do not think you will be more healthy by avoiding dairy, gluten or fruit sugars. I do not associate the word healthy with avoiding dairy, fruit or gluten. You might line the gluten-free food producer's pockets though. I think your acne may get worse if you do those things. There has been one study (never replicated) on a low GI, low refined sugar, low dairy diet, improving acne by 50% in 84 days. Just because the diet has changed (during that one study), does not mean that is the only change that has occurred. I think that diet would be at most, 50% responsible, and the other 50% is external, since the skin functions both ways. It actually seems to me that the health of the skin is more likely to be externally influenced than internally influenced. What is the science behind all of this? How does it relate to pore clogging and bacterial infection IN THE SKIN? If you feel unintelligent when I ask this, perhaps it is because I may think that it is a slightly unintelligent way of approaching an obvious skin problem, which is seen from the outside of the skin. What is healthy depends on the individual, and I am saying that no one (myself included) should suggest dietary changes to other people, who can decide for themselves what a healthy way to eat is. That is far better than telling them to avoid dairy, take calcium tablets (making tablet producers wealthier), avoid gluten, fruit sugar, et cetera... I think that a "healthy" diet, combined with good external skin care will have you with clear skin, and one will not function without the other. Furthermore, I disagree that avoiding fruit, dairy and gluten is actually good for people's health. Honestly, it feels like I do not need qualifications to state what seems very obvious to me, which is that there have to be external factors at play as well, since the skin is exposed to these factors your whole life, and the acne is seen on the EXTERNAL side of the skin, and not the internal side. I understand that food allergies can trigger off skin reactions that are seen on the outside of the skin, but perhaps it is the external side that is partly responsible for these as well, since why is there need for people to be allergic to peanuts, for example? If one researched what the external biological needs of the skin actually are, they would be able to easily conclude that these needs are not even close to be being properly met. That is probably why people's skin is so sensitive, with allergies et cetera...because it is just the worn out immune system's reaction to cause an allergy response, and if the immune system was not worn out, there would not be such a bad response. There are other types of milk (cow's milk --> for cow's?) other than dairy. People with specific allergies, once they undergo certain therapy, may not "break out" in allergic reactions due to the allergen anymore, because the immune system can apparently be sorted out. I would then look to the immune system...and not the food triggers. It is just an overloaded immune system, a stressed out immune system, that results in skin problems. Some people apparently deal with their food allergies this way, and they are no longer "allergic" anymore. Acne has been said not to be an allergic disease though. Food allergies apparently can trigger rashes and eczema, but not Acne.

Everybody --> Look to the IMMUNE SYSTEM, not the diet, which triggers it off. The immune system needs to be strong enough to handle things, if you find things that trigger off your immune system response, you can avoid them. Allergic skin reactions would not happen unless the immune system was not so stressed out that it could not handle the extra "toxins". Allergens really tip your immune system over the edge, apparently. Toxins can come from internal sources as well as external sources. Some "toxins" are not really toxins, they are just an immune system response, such as strawberry allergies. A healthy, full functioning immune system is needed, not a stressed out one. If you can find ways to reduce the stress on the immune system...do it. Unfortunately, part of the problem with the skin, is that its external environment is not ideal, and it will always be sensitive. It would be difficult for anybody to have perfect skin.

I agree with 100% with the above 2 posts. Diet is not the end all. It can improve acne, but it won't put a dent on severe acne. I hate it when people with mild acne suggest people with heavy heavy cystic acne to go on the natural route and to not take accutane. It's almost suicide, in terms of future scarring. If you guys look at the study carefully, you'll know that they only suggest diet as a complementary measure, becuase its efficacy isn't strong enough to warrant monotheraphy. Like the poster above noted, only 50 percent improvement was noted. That's bordering placebo, as the placebo effect in acne can be 50 percent. I used to be stubborn and insisted to everyone that diet helped and cured my acne. But when my cystic acne came soaring back without my changing a thing in my diet, I knew that during the phase of clearness, which I attributed to diet, was simply that I was not acne prone anymore. Other than allergies, I do not believe that diet immediately causes or can cure acne. It's like topicals, a way to control acne. If you look at the "clear skin club," I believe that alot of them simply outgrew acne, dare I say. Look at people ages' with the most dramatic results. Many of them were simply teenagers that were bound to grow out of the acne anyway.

Again, diet is great but not the end all. It doesn't cause acne.

With strict adherence I can attest that diet will clear you 100% as Healthoid, Danny and others will also attest.

I have dumped all topicals. Use any shampoo on my face now. Even touch my face, don't care.

Acne is caused by excessive insulin making oil glands produce more and thus feeding bacteria.

I also read that hyperglycemia blocks actions of retinoic acid.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/c...ract/55/12/3326

doesn't diet improve your immune system?

also, what about people coming from Asia to America and they get acne. is it due to stress of a different lifestyle (sleeping late night, environment..)? but could also be diet.

Rubbish: You said that "With strict adherence... [you] can attest that diet will clear you 100% as Healthoid, Danny and others will also attest", but clearly you did not read John1234's response, where he said that thought that it was the diet that was helping with his Acne as well, but then he said that it came back afterwards, and by the sounds of it, it came back worse. Not that we are really scientists here, but an improper diet could be suppressing your immune system by not giving it enough nutrients to function, and then the acne might come back much worse after this. You are saying that "...Acne is caused by excessive insulin making oil glands produce more and thus feeding bacteria", how exactly does excessive insulin make oil glands produce more oil? What role does excessive insulin play in changing the skin pore structure, such as distortions at the surface of the skin like follicle hyperkeratosis? Are you saying that excessive insulin (which not all people with Acne would have, I am not diabetic), causes sebaceous hyperplasia? You also said that "...hyperglycemia blocks actions of retinoic acid", so are you now saying that all people with acne have hyperglycemia? I am happy for you that you cleared your skin 100%, good for you, but I will say it again, I do not think that severe acne can be cleared with a diet. Why? Because a diet does not seriously address many of the external issues in the skin, and I am not even sure that diet can cause oil production all on its own. Perhaps a diet high in vitamins will help your skin, but I obviously can not take back what I said, because I think the issue is more external than it is internal.

AlexGF: He said "doesn't diet improve your immune system?", and it probably does. I was not saying, "do not diet", I was saying, or asking, what on earth are the scientifics behind a low GI, no grain, no gluten, no fruit sugar diet, boosting the immune system? I asked this because I do not see how this can be a beneficial diet for the immune system. I was not saying that Acne would not be helped by a good diet, I was saying that you will never clear your skin, by a dietary change, and be able to purely attribute the clear skin to a changed diet. I do not think I will be proved wrong on that either. You asked "...also, what about people coming from Asia to America and they get acne", and you asked: "...is it due to stress of a different lifestyle (sleeping late night, environment..)? but could also be diet", it is more likely to be due to the stress of a different lifestyle, because changing countries changes a lot of things, other than the diet. Think about the other disruptions when changing countries, far more has changed other than the diet. That is not to say that diet is not a factor, but even the temperatures, climate, humidity, wind and UV factors have changed when you change countries. Also, they have travelled in an aeroplane, and some people can get sick purely because of this! They might even be getting car sick, since in Asia, I think that they historically did not use cars as much per capita.

The reason I said to look to the immune system, is that maybe there might be some kind of internal bacteria or something (Alongside external damages), which the people might get exposed to when they move to a country which has a high incidence of Acne, and the immune system might be tied down with trying to control it...resulting in hypersensitivities, allergies and Acne. Maybe the people coming to new countries develop a lot of "allergies" as well! A lot of what I research about acne ends up with the immune system playing a role. Some (internal) bacteria / viruses can partially / fully disable the immune system, like the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). Some bacteria apparently do their nasty work and hide (from inside the immune system's own cells), making them hidden from most antibiotics. Why would antibiotics work for Acne unless there was something going on along these lines? Also, if you have ever been given antibiotics in the past, you get bugs that form as a result of the antibiotic "therapy", such as cell wall deficient bacteria. I honestly think that although I am not accusing Rubbish and others of being untruthful, people might be disappointed if they try to clear the skin using a diet only, and then it does not work out, or makes their Acne worse. I would not be one of the ones getting people's hopes up and telling them to get rid of the grains out of their diet. The people coming from another country are coming into contact with viruses and bacteria that their immune systems have probably never had before, they use different medicines in Asian countries than American medicines et cetera... Their immune systems are probably in shock when they move, because of the enormity of the changes they are exposed to, with the antibiotic resistance bugs and all of this that has happened as a result of all the western "therapies". When all of this gets considered, a diet seems a little...weak if anything. Would you get someone's hopes up who had cancer, and tell them that a diet would cure them? Probably not, because there is more to it than that.

Xquis3t!

You using a translator or something?

Your stuff reads weird!

Anyway...

Danny and Healthoid and myself have been doing this sometime. We are ALL clear.

Bottom line is the western diet is the problem.

Glycemic load is the real problem.

I agree with Healthoid that grains aren't natural.

I have just adapted grains socially into my diet, very limited that is all, as an equivalent glycemic load.

I avoid them at home.

Our ancestors would have eaten what was at hand.

So for instance a pigeon, a rat, an apple, a potato (digging it up).

They would not have wasted their energy or endangered their lives felling a huge hippo for instance!

Their food was portion controlled in that work still had to be carried out to get them.

Digging up potatoes, blow piping a bird.

They were small and lean portions.

I want a potato now, I can get a whole bag form supermarket.

I want meat, a whole side of fatty farmed cow from market.

We overeat plain and simple.

That is why we get acne.

Portion control and calorie control is the key.

People hate to be told that because food is a pleasing drug.

Look at Aborigines. They ate bats, insects, root vegetables. They were thin and wiry.

Now on western diet obese, diabetic and acne ridden.

Rubbish: Yes, well I was using quotes and incorporating it into my response. I am sure you could have figured it out. I suppose we will have to disagree, we are not cave men anymore, eating pigeons and potatos straight out of the ground. I do not see how this all relates to Acne. I am sure that they got Acne as well, back in those days, more to the point. Cavemen ideas actually bear little resemblence to real history. There might be more to the fact that Aborigines may not get acne as much as white people...aside from the diet. After all, even the ones stuffed full of alcohol do not have Acne. If you have clear skin, purely because of a diet, then for 1, I do not know what to say, and for 2, I doubt it. I would not have thought this was possible, and I still do not think it is possible. How long did it take for your skin to clear up, were you using anything else as well, or was it just the diet? I am sure you did not just diet and clear up your acne this way. I am so sure, otherwise I would not even bother replying in this topic. I do not like to post unless I think what I am saying is right. What you are saying is not right, because I am skinny, and I have acne. Skinny people get Acne. Seriously, are you thinking about what you are saying? We are not cavemen anymore! Those days go way back even before civilisations existed, you would almost be going back to the days of the Garden of Eden. Even straight out of the Garden of Eden, people started building cities, and not living in caves. They were apparently not eating animals though yet, which may be worth thinking about. Diet is not strong enough to do anything to severe Acne, I seriously doubt you could diet and do much about moderate acne either. I am skinny as, yet my Acne was no different. I just shake my head...you want to go back to caveman days? Would you think that you would have less diseases? I do not think so. People that are cut off from civilisation tend to get dishevelled and dirty, not clean and acne free. Next you will be saying that televisions might be the cause of Acne, in fact...everything modern must be, no, everything modern and Western, like they have no Acne in China. Bah! hehe. My head will not stop shaking...cavemen...what will these people think of next? You want to eat raw pigeons and potatos as your diet? You think this will help your Acne? I do not think so. Water will probably help. Natural foods without chemical additives will probably help too. Having no dairy might help as well. Please show us all before and after pictures of your acne, together with what diet made you clear, tell us that you used nothing externally on your skin, and how long it took for it all to happen, then we can get somewhere. My personal feeling on the matter is that your best bet for a diet to help with your Acne would be a vegetarian one, with fruits, dried fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and loads of water. I would stay away from too much dairy, simply because it is cow's milk, and probably not designed for humans. I would also stay away from meat, because it is disgusting to think about where it came from, and I doubt it is really that healthy. To prove the whole idea wrong would be the fact that Acne is very common in China, just as common as it is in "western" culture. They do not escape the diseases, the whole world is full of diseases! There is plenty of acne...everywhere, in every culture, by the looks of it. Someone said on a discussion board somewhere a phrase "...for all the zits in China", signalling they thought Acne was pretty common in China? Will you blame the "Western" influence for this? It all seems a little anti-Western, would you not agree? How will you take a trip back, using analogies for "cavemen" days that did not really happen in history? History has always had people living in cities, rather than in caves.

Would you and your one study (not to mention you would have used topicals on your skin aside from dieting), like to read the following: "Diets to clear acne are rich in dairy products and whole grains" (ChristiaNet, n.d.). Wait a minute, I thought you said...? Please explain...

ChristiaNet, n.d., Diets To Clear Acne Article, Accessed September 2008, http://www.christianet.com/acne/dietstoclearacne.htm. (Not that a diet will actually clear Acne though, but it might help). The general concensus is that refined foods are not as good as natural foods. However, people that eat refined foods do not necessarily get Acne.

xquis3t

You clearly do nut understand what I wrote.

Refined grains are allowed on a low glycemic load diet it just that the portions must be restricted.

I would rather have something with a lower glycemic index and more nutritious and filling, keeping my blood sugars level in control.

Hyperglycemia causes acne.

Too many calories, stress and infection send blood sugars sky high.

I assure you I used no topicals or any drugs purely portion and calorie control.

I also did not grow out of it, now being in my late 30s.

How many calories do you eat a day, have you even kept a food diary?

Do it and analyze how many calories, carbs, protein and fats you consume.

If you are skinny with acne then you are insulin resistant.

I bet you can eat a lot and not put on weight.

This overloads your body and the excess calories have to be mopped up by bacteria.

They are actually helping you ironically.

Accutane when it surpresses acne can lead to a higher possibility of diabetes as the skin, an organ, is not doing its job of getting control of excess calories symbiotically with bacteria.

Keep a food diary and limit your calories to what you need and spread them through the day.

Not only will your acne subside but you will gain weight as your insulin isn't overwhelmed and can transport what it needs to muscles and if need be fat efficiently.

Rubbish: Before reading your post I had a hunch that my acne (26 years old now, had it for 12 years) was due to overeating. I am in decent shape, bit of a gut, but I have ALWAYS eaten way more than I should at each sitting. Probably 3 times the recommended amount (I'm guessing most people don't know that an 8 oz. steak is far too large a portion, but that's what we're conditioned with now adays with 20 oz. steaks at chain restaurants). 3-4 oz. of steak is a correct portion is about the size of a deck of cards. A portion of rice is the size of a fist, but I'm guessing most people were like me and ate 3 times that amount. I started portion control about 3 days ago and so far my usual breakouts have dramatically decreased in just a few days. I will be doing this for a month and will update with my results. How long did it take for you to get 100% clear Rubbish and may I ask how bad your acne was? I currently have pretty bad back and neck acne, face isn't so bad.

The one thing that's going to be toughest for me is limiting alcohol consumption on the weekends as I love myself some beer. Any suggestions? :)

Rubbish: Before reading your post I had a hunch that my acne (26 years old now, had it for 12 years) was due to overeating. I am in decent shape, bit of a gut, but I have ALWAYS eaten way more than I should at each sitting. Probably 3 times the recommended amount (I'm guessing most people don't know that an 8 oz. steak is far too large a portion, but that's what we're conditioned with now adays with 20 oz. steaks at chain restaurants). 3-4 oz. of steak is a correct portion is about the size of a deck of cards. A portion of rice is the size of a fist, but I'm guessing most people were like me and ate 3 times that amount. I started portion control about 3 days ago and so far my usual breakouts have dramatically decreased in just a few days. I will be doing this for a month and will update with my results. How long did it take for you to get 100% clear Rubbish and may I ask how bad your acne was? I currently have pretty bad back and neck acne, face isn't so bad.

The one thing that's going to be toughest for me is limiting alcohol consumption on the weekends as I love myself some beer. Any suggestions? :)

My acne came about because of a severe breakdown many years ago, depression, insomnia and anxiety. Huge cystic acne developed I also had shit loads of recurring ear and sinus infections.

I was binge eating as well, but my weight plummeted.

Overeating, couple with anxiety both raise hyperglycemia, as does coffee. I was doing loads of bad things, but funnily enough I was tee total then. Insulin resistance means that excess food (blood glucose) is floating around. It is not making you fat just feeding infections and problems.

Fat people who go onto get insulin resistance and diabetes drop in weight and get acne later as their hyperglycemia gradually increases throughout life and then are diagnosed and go on this type of diet and if needed use insulin or supplements such as cinnamon.

Teenagers are naturally insulin resistant in the growth face so very sensitive to excesses in calories.

Back to me, I started to drink a lot of vodka, now I realize it was in an unconscious attempt to control my hyperglycemia as alcohol lowers blood glucose. It also relieved anxiety. My skin seemed better when I drank a lot of vodka with diet mixers but I never made the connection.

I can freely drink vodka with diet mixers and do socially now with no problem. Alcohol reduces insulin resistance. Beer has carbs so does wine so stick to spirits.

Now like diabetics who control their hyperglycemia I find too much alcohol makes me hypoglycemic. So my drinking has naturally halved. This also may be due to having less full stomach to absorb alcohol.

So feel free to have vodka with non-caffeinated diet drinks. Caffeine increases hyperglycemia, although green tea which has caffeine lowers hyperglycemia because of other components.

My acne cleared up very fast I saw improvements week by week and by week 3 was totally clear.

You have to realize that if your acne is very severe then the infection alone increases hyperglycemia so it may take longer.

I notice people on zone diet and low glycemic load and hypoglemic diets report acne clearing up.

It is a tough diet to follow, I loved huge portions of food and miss it.

But this has also made me way healthier.

Thinking back to my most miserable years I can ALWAYS correlate my breakouts with binges now.

Diet can help cure Acne! TRY GREEN SMOOTHIES. The ground up greens are absorbed four times better than eating it. The antioxidants and super absorption of vitamin A worked for me. Check it out in this forum.

Diet can help cure Acne! TRY GREEN SMOOTHIES. The ground up greens are absorbed four times better than eating it. The antioxidants and super absorption of vitamin A worked for me. Check it out in this forum.

Yes green smoothie is good for you :)

Spinach are the best.

I always make whey protein smoothie before i sleep using Spinach and banana.

;)

My acne came about because of a severe breakdown many years ago, depression, insomnia and anxiety. Huge cystic acne developed I also had shit loads of recurring ear and sinus infections.

Overeating, couple with anxiety both raise hyperglycemia, as does coffee. I was doing loads of bad things, but funnily enough I was tee total then. Insulin resistance means that excess food (blood glucose) is floating around. It is not making you fat just feeding infections and problems.

Fat people who go onto get insulin resistance and diabetes drop in weight and get acne later as their hyperglycemia gradually increases throughout life and then are diagnosed and go on this type of diet and if needed use insulin or supplements such as cinnamon.

Teenagers are naturally insulin resistant in the growth face so very sensitive to excesses in calories.

Back to me, I started to drink a lot of vodka, now I realize it was in an unconscious attempt to control my hyperglycemia as alcohol lowers blood glucose. It also relieved anxiety. My skin seemed better when I drank a lot of vodka with diet mixers but I never made the connection.

I can freely drink vodka with diet mixers and do socially now with no problem. Alcohol reduces insulin resistance. Beer has carbs so does wine so stick to spirits.

Now like diabetics who control their hyperglycemia I find too much alcohol makes me hypoglycemic. So my drinking has naturally halved. This also may be due to having less full stomach to absorb alcohol.

So feel free to have vodka with non-caffeinated diet drinks. Caffeine increases hyperglycemia, although green tea which has caffeine lowers hyperglycemia because of other components.

My acne cleared up very fast I saw improvements week by week and by week 3 was totally clear.

You have to realize that if your acne is very severe then the infection alone increases hyperglycemia so it may take longer.

I notice people on zone diet and low glycemic load and hypoglemic diets report acne clearing up.

Thinking back to my most miserable years I can ALWAYS correlate my breakouts with binges now.

Rubbish, I find this very interesting... I am 5"7 and weigh only 110 lbs. And I eat HUGE portions because I NEVER get full. but carbs seem to be the most filling... Seriously I could eat a 20oz steak and some veggies and feel even hungrier than I did before I started!! What's with that?? I dont know if I believe that eating smaller portions will help me gain weight... and I NEED to gain weight so badly. I feel like no matter what I eat or how much I eat I never gain weight. I quit eating gluten for 6 monthsa nd my skin got WORSE!! What's with that? I don tknow I cant figure it out... I have been on this site looking for answers for two years and I feel like I will be looking forever :(.

Rubbish, I find this very interesting... I am 5"7 and weigh only 110 lbs. And I eat HUGE portions because I NEVER get full. but carbs seem to be the most filling... Seriously I could eat a 20oz steak and some veggies and feel even hungrier than I did before I started!! What's with that?? I dont know if I believe that eating smaller portions will help me gain weight... and I NEED to gain weight so badly. I feel like no matter what I eat or how much I eat I never gain weight. I quit eating gluten for 6 monthsa nd my skin got WORSE!! What's with that? I don tknow I cant figure it out... I have been on this site looking for answers for two years and I feel like I will be looking forever :(.

Overeating fats can be just as bad. So portion control needs to be exercised for meat, fats and starchy vegetables. Watery stuff like spinach, lettuce, tomatoes are very low in calories. These should form the bulk of the main meals. A palm of lean meat and a fist of starchy carbs like cooked rice or 1 potato at a meal alongside salad. If starches are cold they are more satisfying because they have resistant starch and a lower GI. So potato salad (without high cal dressings).

So really you need to have the balance I talk about in your 3 main meals.

Half of your plate salad, a quarter lean meat or fish and a quarter starchy rice or potato.

Your snack can be an orange or an apple 2 hours after and before a main meal.

The 3 meals and up to 3 snacks can be 2 hours apart.

So Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack.

This makes your main meals about 4 hours apart.

By staggering your daily calories like this your blood sugar won't be high.

I saw a study where overfeeding fats caused hyperglycemia.

Bottom line is distribute calories in small doses to avoid hyperglycemia and acne.

In the 50s a drug for diabetes was tested on acne sufferers which controlled their blood sugars.

Their acne was significantly decreased.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1830832

This shows how important blood sugar control is.

Cordain refers to this in his paper which describes how high blood sugar and insulin levels are a major factor in acne.

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/138/12/1584

Insulin can be high by eating too much fat.

So don't focus on a particular food group, lower your calories for you daily needs and distribute them through the day, you will also be less hungry.

xquis3t, you seem to be missing the point, which is as follows:

You are claiming diet does not cause acne, and I am telling you are incorrect - it can. It may not cause acne for you, it may not cause acne for Mary down the street, but it could for Joe around the block.

Diet does not affect my acne, because with a proper diet I do not have acne to be affected.

I do not consume milk = I do not have acne.

I consume milk = I have acne.

Rubbish: (I am discussing Acne with Rubbish?, and Rubbish thinks He is right, hmm...) You said that I "...clearly do nut understand what...[you] wrote". You are right there, you are saying that Acne is caused by hyperglycemia? Why then in my case does it seem to relate more to external irritation? That manifests itself in internal symptoms (+ a highly stressed immune system, which the slightest thing can trigger overload in).

Perhaps you treat the symptoms with dietary control. However, I do not see how you can be right, perhaps we are both right, and Acne is external, and internal, and not purely due to either. External issues make the skin hypersensitive, and perhaps tiny bits of dietary problems can help to trigger off the now hypersensitive skin. I think the condition (Acne - that I have) is almost purely external in its cause. I stand by that statement as well.

MarsBars: You can go and have some milk (make sure it is from the most hormonal cow of course) then, and I could pretty well say that I think it would not cause you to have Acne. You will not try it of course, since you would be scared to, so we hit a "brick wall". I am quite sure you could not give yourself acne by including dairy back in your diet.

Here is why I think the condition is external. I will include two pictures. I wore the same high neck collar when going out into the sun and pollution (UV interacts with polluting molecules causing ozone at ground level / smog), and the acne sort of stopped where the collar covered up my skin. This was after 4 months of wearing the same high collar every time I went outside into UV. As you can see, this hardly relates to diet, at all. In fact, this relates to diet not even 1%. Normally I had the collar closed up, zipped up, and the Acne was mainly above the collar, as can be seen below.

Picture 1: http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/xquis3t/100_0432.jpg

Picture 2: http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/xquis3t/100_0431.jpg

Here's a picture when things were worse: http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/xq...8CollarLine.jpg...yah, diet you say...

**Please do not give these photographs to anyone else, they are to stay as links on this acne.org board only, by viewing the photographs you agree that you will just view them here, and not take them anywhere else or do anything else with them** Please respect my wishes.

If you have a healthy diet, your chance of having healthy skin improves. Fruit is good for you, and gluten naturally occurs in food. I do not think you will be more healthy by avoiding dairy, gluten or fruit sugars. I do not associate the word healthy with avoiding dairy, fruit or gluten.

Food allergies apparently can trigger rashes and eczema, but not Acne.

Everybody --> Look to the IMMUNE SYSTEM, not the diet, which triggers it off.

Gluten naturally occurs in food? Erm, not exactly. It naturally occurs in grains, that HAVE to be processed in order to eat safely. Gluten/wheat are added to many, many mainstream products as filler, thickener, binder, texturizer.

Ish. I don't want my food filled, texturized or bound. Furthermore, when I eat gluten my ass blows like Krakatowa, I get a fever, ache all over, vomit. It's horrendous. Know what else it does? Kills the villi in my intestines. Know what they do?

Villi absorb vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from the food you eat. Without villi, the inner surface of the small intestine becomes like a tile floor, and your body is unable to absorb nutrients necessary for health and growth. Instead, nutrients such as fat, protein, vitamins and minerals are eliminated with your stool.

So when my immune system attacks itself, rendering it worthless - the acne reigns freely.

I'm sure you can see the link --->gluten--->allergic reaction--->acne.

MarsBars: You can go and have some milk (make sure it is from the most hormonal cow of course) then, and I could pretty well say that I think it would not cause you to have Acne. You will not try it of course, since you would be scared to, so we hit a "brick wall". I am quite sure you could not give yourself acne by including dairy back in your diet.

Your ignorance is astounding. How can you possibly claim to know what causes me acne? How do you think I came to the conclusion that milk causes me acne? Through experimenting - the same process that led me to conclude gluten does not cause acne for me.

How can you claim to understand how my body works? This will be my last post in this thread since you are clearly incapable of engaging in a healthy debate, rather you just make totally outrageous claims about how you know how everyone's body reacts to diet.

I am simply saying that diet CAN cause acne in SOME. You however are self-righteously insisting you have been blessed with an all-knowing knowledge of how the individual body works of every single person on this forum.

You have no evidence. I, on the other hand, have the evidence of my own personal experience, as do all the others with success stories on this forum. So please, go find yourself a clue, and some respect.

MarsBars: My "...ignorance is astounding?" Perhaps it is, indeed you may be right. You ask "How can... claim to understand how [your] body works? Well, everybody's body works approximately the same way, we are all human. Yes, it "...will be...[your] last post in this thread...", since you run and hide as soon as some facts are brought into it. As soon as something contradicts what you think is right, you then say that it is due to ignorance. Whose ignorance exactly? You also wrongly said that I "have no evidence", have a look at the pictures I showed you above, if you read my post. It shows you did not read my post, or give it "respect" which you seem to so highly esteem. My discussion has nothing to do with respect or disrespect, but facts. There is the evidence you wanted (photographic and not just words like the others so far, including yourself), and you just run away. Maybe my statement that diet is weak is being showed up by your weakness in discussing this issue so far. Will you now get more angry and react in anger towards me because I show you photographic evidence that contradicts what you are essentially saying? Would you have been the one disrespecting me by saying that I have no clue?

ayla: You said "I'm sure you can see the link --->gluten--->allergic reaction--->acne.", but there seems to be a missing link between gluten and allergic reaction, and I am not sure how you formed the link. I would also question to a point, the direct link between allergic reactions and acne, since Acne has never been proved to be allergically related to my knowledge. I am actually entreating your discussion which is dietary related, when I think it is not, to say that I could see how it could affect Acne. I truthfully say that diet has not appeared to affect my "Acne". Acne appears to me, to not be related to the diet, to the extent that some people seem to be thinking that it is. It may not even be related at all. "Allergic" reactions trigger off the immune system. A healthy, strong immune system would not be triggered off by "allergens", but a stressed out (unadapted, overloaded et cetera...) immune system can be triggered off by all sorts of things. That is why I was saying to look to the immune system, and not to the triggers, since a trigger can be strawberries, or peanuts, when I think that this ought not to be. It is the immune system which seems to be more central to Acne.

It could be a "poor analogy" since I am essentially saying that if you got shot, do not look to the bullet (that caused the damage), but look to how the body reacts, and in a way, I am right, if you think about it. You could get shot, and if your body was strong enough (and if it had the right external environment), you would fully regenerate. That is after all, how the body was designed. Would a diet help if you got shot? Attributing all the problems to the diet will not extend your life expectancy much. Why? Because the external environment is not right to support human life as it needs to be. You can not fully attribute Acne to internal things, because Acne seems very likely to be a reaction to things in the skin's external environment, and are for the most part, seemingly uncontrollable...especially with just a change in diet. This is why I believe that changing the diet will have poor results for many people with Acne. There are that many pesticides and chemical additions to food, really why then would it not be these that are causing the problems, and not the food itself? Maybe these chemicals interact in a synergistic way with the food, and that is why a specific food causes problems. It is not like it is just natural dairy, the cows are being fed antibiotics and all of this, the milk is homogenized and pasteurized et cetera...really now, I think it is worth thinking about that, rather than attacking wheat based gluten, dairy food and the like.

xquis3t: What about my "post?" Care to debate my "facts?" Debunk my diagnosis? I won't hide :angel: