Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Realme2008

Diet doesn't cause acne, correct?

I heard it was a myth, and I keep telling people this. They think I'm lying. I know eating bad certainly doesn't help, but there isn't correlation between the two is there?

Hahaha.. No it's not a myth... Diet can have alot to do with acne depending on what is causing your acne. Many people on this site have cured their acne through diets and cleanses and supplements. An example of how diet effects MY acne... I cant have dairy... dairy is like a HUGE trigger for cystic acne for me... If I eat it... I am pretty much guaranteed to get cystic pimples... yuck. I think taking dairy out of your diet is usually the FIRST step to trying to figure out how diet effects you. Some people take it out of their diet and that's it! That was their cure.... But it's more complicated for me unfortunately. Try taking dairy out of your diet for at least a month and see what happens.

Do not eat:

-Cheese

-Yoghurt

-Milk

-Cream

-Butter

-Sour cream

And yeah the list could go on but you getthe picture......... do not eat ANYTHING that has or may have dairy in it. You have to start reading ingredients, lots of foods have hidden dairy in it. For instance... lots of soups are cream based... and bread can have milk in it too... You get the picture.

Try it! It may just be your cure... If not... just keep looking, there are lots of poepl here willing to help you out.

The only myth is that it's a myth. I strongly believe that many cases of acne are affected by diet. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for me.

I really dig the passage in your signature section! It's awesome and it made me smile! :D

The only myth is that it's a myth. I strongly believe that many cases of acne are affected by diet. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for me.

I really dig the passage in your signature section! It's awesome and it made me smile! :D

Thanks. I read it over and over again sometimes when I'm getting too caught up in the whole "woe is me" self pity thing... Makes me smile too :)

Well, I think it is all a big misunderstanding. Diet does not CAUSE Acne (it is a contributory factor of course, diet always is), but a change in diet may help it to be healed better.

Having said that, what diet is healthy? Avoiding dairy might not be the right idea...you get my picture? Dairy might be good, it has Vitamin A, and calcium, both very necessary. Who is to say what is the right diet? You could be searching for years...yes...the dreaded word (years and years).

One may need to consider the pasteurization of dairy, which is destructive, and other impurites in the food (not the food itself) might be causing the problems. Also, "As the upper-level ozone layer is depleted and the earth’s UVB radiation levels increase, food supplies are damaged and destroyed. Some crops, such as soybeans, are particularly sensitive to UVB rays and have been proven to produce lower yields as UVB levels rise. Also, some scientists suggest that increases in UVB radiation damage the aquatic food chain by reducing the survival rates of marine phytoplankton, a staple food for many marine animals. Aquatic creatures like fish, shrimp, crab, amphibians, and other animals suffer from increased UVB radiation, particularly in terms of their reproductive capacity and larval development" (AirHead and Center for Neighborhood Technology, n.d.).

AirHead and Center for Neighborhood Technology, n.d., AirHead : Food Chain, Accessed September 2008, http://airhead.cnt.org/Health/food_chain.p...8cc2b9faa19599e.

Well, I think it is all a big misunderstanding. Diet does not CAUSE Acne (it is a contributory factor of course, diet always is), but a change in diet may help it to be healed better.

You are wrong, dairy does CAUSE acne in many people. Like tdot, a glass of milk or bowl of cereal with milk, will result in a breakout in 24 hours tops.

Having said that, what diet is healthy? Avoiding dairy might not be the right idea...you get my picture? Dairy might be good, it has Vitamin A, and calcium, both very necessary. Who is to say what is the right diet? You could be searching for years...yes...the dreaded word (years and years).

Sometimes it takes people a long time to figure out what aspect of their diet triggers acne, so there is fool-proof answer to "what diet is healthy" in relation to acne. A good place to start is to eliminate dairy and gluten, eat lots of vegetables and avoid processed or fast foods.

Yes vitamin A and calcium are both necessary, and both can be found in other foods besides dairy. How do you think vegans survive?

Who is to say what is the right diet? The individual person. I can tell you what the right diet/lifestyle is for me personally to avoid acne, but can I tell you what yours is? No, but I can certainly tell you how to get yourself on the right path to figuring it out.

One may need to consider the pasteurization of dairy, which is destructive, and other impurites in the food (not the food itself) might be causing the problems. Also, "As the upper-level ozone layer is depleted and the earth’s UVB radiation levels increase, food supplies are damaged and destroyed. Some crops, such as soybeans, are particularly sensitive to UVB rays and have been proven to produce lower yields as UVB levels rise. Also, some scientists suggest that increases in UVB radiation damage the aquatic food chain by reducing the survival rates of marine phytoplankton, a staple food for many marine animals. Aquatic creatures like fish, shrimp, crab, amphibians, and other animals suffer from increased UVB radiation, particularly in terms of their reproductive capacity and larval development" (AirHead and Center for Neighborhood Technology, n.d.).

AirHead and Center for Neighborhood Technology, n.d., AirHead : Food Chain, Accessed September 2008, http://airhead.cnt.org/Health/food_chain.p...8cc2b9faa19599e.

For me, the pasteurization of dairy doesn't matter. Milk is milk is milk, it will break me out. And "other impurities in the food" is the food itself. That's why it's so important to real and organic food, not processed.

I searched in google if white rice gives acne and i saw that it does... cause is white...

it is gluten free , I know is a high carb which is needed for body builder i think,,

That's what spanish people eat , and ull see lots of spanish people with no acne. :X

For most people, processed, sugary foods will cause breakouts if they are acne prone. Dairy doesn't effect me personally, unless I'm eating highly processed cheese or something but things like milk and cream cheese definitely effect a lot of people. Diet undoubtable plays a role in causing acne and also helping your body fight back against acne, it's just different for everyone in terms of what foods cause it. I can't believe how many skin care lines like ProActive say that diet doesn't effect acne. They just want people to buy their products and not be able to fix it, or at least reduce it on their own. Don't listen to that misinformation though, there's a clear link between acne and diet. Some people are very sensitive to diet and it's the core reason they're getting acne. Some people are just irritating their skin from products or getting hormonal breakouts. Some people just have a genetic exposure to more oil production and get acne from that. It all depends on the individual but a good diet will at the very least help your body fight back against new breakouts, if not completely prevent them from coming.

For most people, processed, sugary foods will cause breakouts if they are acne prone. Dairy doesn't effect me personally, unless I'm eating highly processed cheese or something but things like milk and cream cheese definitely effect a lot of people. Diet undoubtable plays a role in causing acne and also helping your body fight back against acne, it's just different for everyone in terms of what foods cause it. I can't believe how many skin care lines like ProActive say that diet doesn't effect acne. They just want people to buy their products and not be able to fix it, or at least reduce it on their own. Don't listen to that misinformation though, there's a clear link between acne and diet. Some people are very sensitive to diet and it's the core reason they're getting acne. Some people are just irritating their skin from products or getting acne from hormones. It all depends on the individual but a good diet will at the very least help your body fight back against new breakouts, if not completely prevent them from coming.

I drink whey protein isolate which is from cow.... so is dairy

and i don't get break out ;)

we all different , we just gotta find out what gives acne to us to avoid it

right now gonna eat white rice again and if i get acne will avoid it. if not will eat it 3 times a week

Processed foods , white wheat flour , high sugars will give me acne for sure..

even if is fruits... so yes to much fruits gives me acne

I should eat 3 apples a day and i get small acne i avoid it.. and now nomore acne... >_> i get acne in forehead only due to my job.. i sweat :(

You are wrong, dairy does CAUSE acne in many people. Like tdot, a glass of milk or bowl of cereal with milk, will result in a breakout in 24 hours tops.

Sometimes it takes people a long time to figure out what aspect of their diet triggers acne, so there is fool-proof answer to "what diet is healthy" in relation to acne. A good place to start is to eliminate dairy and gluten, eat lots of vegetables and avoid processed or fast foods.

Yes vitamin A and calcium are both necessary, and both can be found in other foods besides dairy. How do you think vegans survive?

Who is to say what is the right diet? The individual person. I can tell you what the right diet/lifestyle is for me personally to avoid acne, but can I tell you what yours is? No, but I can certainly tell you how to get yourself on the right path to figuring it out.

For me, the pasteurization of dairy doesn't matter. Milk is milk is milk, it will break me out. And "other impurities in the food" is the food itself. That's why it's so important to real and organic food, not processed.

Yes... for sure dairy CAUSES me to get acne... so for me it IS a food that causes me to break out... I agree that dairy and gluten are the two foods you should elminate first.

Some of humans' direct ancestors had bigger and more bones than we do, and yet they didn't drink a single drop of dairy in their lifetimes. The idea that dairy is necessary for health is totally wrong.

While that may all be true...not everyone having dairy will break out in pimples! Also, a lack of dairy foods may result in problems in the long term. Dietary avoidance may be as much of a source of ill health, as the diet itself. I am not sure if vegans are the healthiest people around. It all seems to boil down to individual reactions, perhaps dairy is a problem for some (there are reasons why this could be the case), and if someone finds that it is, then it is probably best to avoid it. Unless they find it to be a problem, why avoid it unnecessarily? I do not totally agree that dairy causes acne.

Healthoid:You said this: "4 scientific studies showing diet affects acne", and I highlight the word affects that you used and not CAUSES.

MarsBars:You said that "...a glass of milk or bowl of cereal with milk, will result in a breakout in 24 hours tops", but you are really going against human physiology there, it takes a while for pimples to form, apparently between anywhere upwards of 2 weeks! Besides, in my experience, follicles react to EXTERNAL influences (your skin is an external barrier), as well as INTERNAL influences. What is the more likely cause of skin problems? External irritation, or internal diet, considering that most "toxins" are filtered internally and broken down? You seem to think that "...diet triggers acne, so there is [?] fool-proof answer to "what diet is healthy" in relation to acne. A good place to start is to eliminate dairy and gluten...", why is that a good place to start for everybody? You also said that "...Yes vitamin A and calcium are both necessary, and both can be found in other foods besides dairy...", yes that is true. But do you realise the scope of what people have to avoid if they adopt the dairy free, gluten-free diet? Also, how will you answer them when they probably will still have Acne after adopting that diet? You rightly say this: "Who is to say what is the right diet? The individual person". Therefore, I do not suggest you tell people to avoid dairy or gluten. I do not think those are good places to start...I think that more water, fruits, vegetables and exercise is a good place to start. Really, water is good for you, no-one can argue that. It might be best to go with things that no-one can argue with. Maybe instead of eating breakfast, you can drink 2 litres of water, and have an apple and a banana...but I still think this will not make big inroads in your Acne for quite a while.

I think diet can cause acne in some cases like a food allergies. But in most cases diet is not the CAUSE, rather than the TRIGGER. Diet can't cause acne, it can trigger it. A combination of acne causes and acne triggers can cause acne. For example: hormones (the cause) + diet (the trigger) = acne.

Bad diet doesn't cause acne, it aggravates active acne. So if you feel a bump coming up and you stuff yourself with pizza, congrats.

MarsBars:You said that "...a glass of milk or bowl of cereal with milk, will result in a breakout in 24 hours tops", but you are really going against human physiology there, it takes a while for pimples to form, apparently between anywhere upwards of 2 weeks! Besides, in my experience, follicles react to EXTERNAL influences (your skin is an external barrier), as well as INTERNAL influences. What is the more likely cause of skin problems? External irritation, or internal diet, considering that most "toxins" are filtered internally and broken down? You seem to think that "...diet triggers acne, so there is [?] fool-proof answer to "what diet is healthy" in relation to acne. A good place to start is to eliminate dairy and gluten...", why is that a good place to start for everybody? You also said that "...Yes vitamin A and calcium are both necessary, and both can be found in other foods besides dairy...", yes that is true. But do you realise the scope of what people have to avoid if they adopt the dairy free, gluten-free diet? Also, how will you answer them when they probably will still have Acne after adopting that diet? You rightly say this: "Who is to say what is the right diet? The individual person". Therefore, I do not suggest you tell people to avoid dairy or gluten. I do not think those are good places to start...I think that more water, fruits, vegetables and exercise is a good place to start. Really, water is good for you, no-one can argue that. It might be best to go with things that no-one can argue with. Maybe instead of eating breakfast, you can drink 2 litres of water, and have an apple and a banana...but I still think this will not make big inroads in your Acne for quite a while.

Once again, you are wrong. It does not always take 2 weeks for a pimple to form. Many people on this board will get a pimple within hours of eating a food that causes THEM acne.

Yes I did say the individual person is the best to determine what causes acne for them personally. Why you are saying I should not make SUGGESTIONS to others, I do not know. That is the very way wisdom is passed on. I suggest to people what worked for me, and what I know has worked for MANY other people, and they try it out to see if it works for them. I have no idea why you think this is a bad idea. If a friend of yours went to a restaurant and enjoyed the meal and service, and suggested to you that you try it out because they personally had a good experience, would you be horrified that they are reccomending something to you because only you can decide what you like?

But do you realise the scope of what people have to avoid if they adopt the dairy free, gluten-free diet? Also, how will you answer them when they probably will still have Acne after adopting that diet?

Of course I realize the scope of what people have to avoid if they adopt the dairy free and gluten-free diet. I have been there. I am not sure why you think you are more qualifed to offer suggestions and make statements that make me (and the many others that have found success through diet) seem like inexperienced, unintelligent fools. Please, list your qualifications.

As for your last statement, the only thing I can do is laugh, as I know the large number of people who have had success with this diet, so once again, where is your evidence, that these people "probably will still have Acne after adopting that diet?" I encourage you to back this statement up with evidence.

we all have different skin anyways and blood. :D

some say nuts gives them acne... I can eat like 3-4 handful of cashew raw a day... and that's to much , i don't get acne... also i add almond butter on my whey protein smoothie. :P

many says dairy causes acne.. but i take whey protein 2 times a day and not get break out.

Maybe cause proactiv solution is helping... ;/ I am nearly 22... my dad stopped getting acne around this ages.. hoping it happen to me.

Most people just need to exercise portion control and reduce calories to around what they need whilst eating a healthy balanced diet.

Acne is due to insulin resistance and hyperglycemia.

There are rare exceptions such as gluten and dairy genetically causing problems. Even these are much improved by portion control as the offenders such as bread and milk are consumed in portions the body finds easier to handle. However if someone's genes are very sensitive to the point it could kill them they will obviously know about it pretty fast. That is extremely rare.

People wrongly try to investigate herbs to lower blood glucose and avoidance of certain foods before simply doing calorie and portion control. Portion control is important because overeating in one sitting can overwhelm the pancreas and excess glucose cannot be transported fast enough out of blood. This leads to insulin resistance and acne.

Do you eat more than a fistful of wholegrain cooked rice in a sitting for instance?

I used to polish off about 8-10 is one sitting.

Doesn't matter if it is low GI lentils either.

If portions are huge it will still lead to massive hyperglycemia and acne.

Now it is easy to see why dairy is perceived as leading to acne. It is easy to consume huge portions of a liquid without realizing it is a sugary food. I could polish off a few pints of milk on top of a 1KG bag rolled oats in one night. Again a lot of oats are turned into a lot of blood glucose. That is quite a hit of blood glucose even from the low GI milk and oats.

Green tea and vinegar and alcohol do lower blood glucose BUT they cannot turn a tidal wave of blood glucose away.

When proteins and fats are eaten in excess they still lead to large insulin responses, which again can be overwhelmed if eating too much. So the idea of getting away with eating as much as you want of these whilst low or zero carbing is also wrong.

Many people eats healthy in here and i still see they get acne......

I remember when i used to eat apples , salads with salmon only.. THATS it and still got acne.

I am like screw IT!! went back on using proactive and decided to eat whole grain bread , tortillas

white rice sometime , red meats... , whey protein , Nuts , seeds...

and is Actually helping!! i am getting clear.

:)

Healthoid:You said this: "4 scientific studies showing diet affects acne", and I highlight the word affects that you used and not CAUSES.

That's a ridiculous line of thinking though because if you go far enough...you could say that the root "cause" of acne is life...the cure for acne is simply to end life.

Acne is obviously a multifactorial disease, but the evidence is pretty clear at this point that diet plays a significant part.

If diet affects acne, then changing your diet will affect your acne.

Look at the low GL/GI study for the best example. People changed their diet and their acne improved.

The best place to start would be with this sort of diet. Not "more fruits and vegetables" and "water".

Everyone should start by cutting out all grains, and this especially includes gluten grains. Grains are by far the biggest source of high GI/GL foods in the modern diet.

Look at the low GL/GI study for the best example. People changed their diet and their acne improved.

The best place to start would be with this sort of diet. Not "more fruits and vegetables" and "water".

Everyone should start by cutting out all grains, and this especially includes gluten grains. Grains are by far the biggest source of high GI/GL foods in the modern diet.

That is the Mann study in Melbourne

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/1/107

If you count GL and restrict it to a certain amount over a day it is effectively a calorie and portion controlled diet as it takes grams of carbohydrates into account.

This occured since the study also stipulated the % split between protein carbs and fat.

Since there was no GL or any counting of calories directly or indirectly at all in the other group they ate pretty much what they wanted.

Inevitably the low GL diet group lost weight and their acne improved due to reducing hyperglycemia.

Telling everyone to cut out grains completely rather than limiting their portions just sets people up who like grains for deprivation which can lead to binges and hyperglycemia.

In hospital studies infections have been reduced by portion and calorie control.

Interesting studies on glucose drips resulted in seeing that high blood glucose levels make infections worse. Acne itself is an infection and causes hyperglycemia so sufferers have to be as careful as diabetics with there portions of food at each meal.

In fact acne is diabetes of the skin so the treatment is the same.

Portion and calorie control.