Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hodget17

hydroquinone

sorry if this has been asked before, but ive read a lot of posts and not come across the question...

i was just wondering if anyone knew if hydroquinoine can actually damage the pigment cells, so that they can no longer produce melanin. anyone heard about this?? :eh:

Guest missyjean130

Idk about that,but it can cause skin cancer i hear!

Not too sure but for me it almost seems like its doing the opposite. And that is it makes my skin red and because im brown the inflammation seems to cause more darkening but then again I havent used it for that long. But I just hate the redness it can cause.

No thats the thing, my skin is normal and not sensitive. Its just the way hydroquinone works, its penetrates deeply. Also I was using obagi clear which contains lactic acid so I am not sure if it caused the redness or whether thats the way hydroquinone works. The thing is inflammation on brown skin is more scary than on caucasians as we are prone to hyperpigmentation. So this is a sort of double edges sword in that until I dont continue for atleast a month I wouldnt know for sure if the hydroquinone would be helping but then it could go the other way in that time and I may have made things worse then now. Its the risk I dont really want to take. I am a little stuck in terms of what to do and even time seems to be doing little as I have had some of these marks for several months with little to no fading..

On real terms I dont think I can live with them, I dont want perfection but I do want to be clear (which I am) with an even skin tone on my face. Body marks (which I dont have) wouldn't really bother me but my face does!