Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

Low-protein low-fat diet cleared my complexion in about 10 days.

For those of you who are convinced that your acne is related to your blood sugar levels:

A year ago, I posted that the drug diabetic drug Metformin should theoretically clear acne because it regulates bloodsugar levels.

There was also new research published 2005 that a low-fat diet would reverse diabetes by regulating bloodsugar levels. Quite by accident, it was found that a very low-protein diet might do an even better job. When these two diets are combined, they clear acne 100%. Another member on this forum claimed her acne was gone in 8 days. I tried this diet and my skin's problems stopped in 9 days. Now all that is left is the healing.

So, two people have found that this diet works after approximately 10 days.

Is there anyone else out there willing to embark on this diet for a mere 10 days?

It would probably be easiest for a vegetarian or vegan to try it.

Its a vegan diet but excludes: Tofu, fake meats, lentils, fried foods, avacados, nuts and excessive oils.

Wait guys! If you do this diet, you should tighten down the rules to accurately see if you get results. Believe me, even a small amount of protein or fat makes you break out within 12 hours -- and the break out lasts for 8 days.

If you want to try this diet:

NO beans, nuts, hummus, chickpeas, ALL lentils, tofu, soy milk or almond milk (rice milk is fine), meat, faux meat, eggs, dairy products, avocados, chocolate, caramels, fried foods, oil-based salad dressings, oil, fried chips (baked chips are fine), french fries, veggie burgers.

I have not tested spirulina while on this diet, but I know its a great protein source. During these 9 days, I would suggest avoiding spirulina and if you get the results you want, you could try adding spirulina after the initial 10 days.

Keep meals roughly under 3 grams of fat and 3 grams of protein. Again, this strictness is for only this 9 test only. After that, you can experiment all you want with these numbers.

Safe foods to get you started:

Pasta (not lentil based) & marinara sauce w/ steamed veggies (do not put oil on the pasta -- the marinara does the job)

Subway sandwiches (substitute mustard for other sauces) (stuff if with spinach or bell peppers if you do not like the lettuce)

Cereal & rice milk (Honey Nut, Rice Crispees, Raisin Bran are all safe)

Vegan Vegetable Soups w/ sourdough bread (do not eat LENTILS or CHICKPEAS in the soup)

Baked chips & warmed salsa

Vegetable Sushi (NO avocado, faux meat, fish or cream cheese inside) & Miso Soup

Veggie salads

Fruit salads

Popsicles & hard candy (no ice cream, chocolates or caramels)

Baked potatoes (perhaps add salsa on top?)

Steamed garlicy spinach on toast

Rice

Salad with lemon juice (or any dressing that is fat/protein free)

Mashed potatoes

Homemade indian dishes (the restaurants saturate the meals in oil =( )

All fruits

Mostly all vegetables & breads

Vegan pizza (found in health-food frozen aisle) (cheese-free)

**If you need to add oil to a pan, then buff the pan with oil and make sure there isnt any excess.

These are meals to kick-start your diet. As you become accustomed to it, you'll find more and more foods that work for you.

Tiny quantities (such as 5 chickpeas or a bite of egg) caused flareups.

nutritionally, it looks like a disaster. And besides that, a pure carb diet would have nothing but maybe fiber to slow the glucose spike...isn't this diabetes waiting to happen?

Well, if I remember correctly, the study published in 2005 found that diabetics could eat as much carbs as they wanted AS LONG as they kept their fat intake at under 20 grams per day. By doing this, 90% of the study's participants were able to get off their diabetic medications within 4 weeks.

The study was conducted at Yale(?) and then it was studied at George Washington University.

Further, the Japanese eat a diet mainly consisting of carbs (a bowl of white rice with every meal) and they have one of the lowest diabetes rates in the world and are considered one of the healthiest nations in the world.

You sound strangely similar to Dotty. Do you two communicate over pm or something? You cite the same sources. I'm curious, because Dotty hasn't posted for awhile. Has she cured her acne?

But the Japanese are definitely not low protein or low fat--it's just impossible with the amount of seafood they eat. They have the highest seafood intake in the world.

Well, if I remember correctly, the study published in 2005 found that diabetics could eat as much carbs as they wanted AS LONG as they kept their fat intake at under 20 grams per day. By doing this, 90% of the study's participants were able to get off their diabetic medications within 4 weeks.

The study was conducted at Yale(?) and then it was studied at George Washington University.

Further, the Japanese eat a diet mainly consisting of carbs (a bowl of white rice with every meal) and they have one of the lowest diabetes rates in the world and are considered one of the healthiest nations in the world.

For those of you who are convinced that your acne is related to your blood sugar levels:

A year ago, I posted that the drug diabetic drug Metformin should theoretically clear acne because it regulates bloodsugar levels.

There was also new research published 2005 that a low-fat diet would reverse diabetes by regulating bloodsugar levels. Quite by accident, it was found that a very low-protein diet might do an even better job. When these two diets are combined, they clear acne 100%. Another member on this forum claimed her acne was gone in 8 days. I tried this diet and my skin's problems stopped in 9 days. Now all that is left is the healing.

So, two people have found that this diet works after approximately 10 days.

Is there anyone else out there willing to embark on this diet for a mere 10 days?

It would probably be easiest for a vegetarian or vegan to try it.

Its a vegan diet but excludes: Tofu, fake meats, lentils, fried foods, avacados, nuts and excessive oils.

I eat the exact opposite of that diet, high fat & medium/high protein & low carb, and I cleared my acne in about 4 weeks. I guess different things work for different people, eh?

What about the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins?

Also, did this get rid of blackheads or just pimples, and what type of acne did you have?

No one is arguing the nutritional quality of this diet. The question is and always will be, as long as we troll these forums: does it stop acne?

Nutritional inefficiencies can always be addressed later, getting clear is the hard part. Its definitely worth a try, going on a two week fast from protein and fat won't kill anyone.

Yeah, after the low-protein diet cleared my skin, we've been collaborating on why the diet works =P.

Well, the diet is not completely without fat. At the end of one day, you eat 16 grams of fat. I haven't calculated for protein, yet (been busy!)

Hey apple blossom for you and for Dotty, did this cause blackheads and clogged pores to fall out, or do you still have those? Just wondering if it takes care of the noninflammatory as well as the inflammatory acne???

Japanese eat fish as well and eat very small portions of food.

Their calorie intake is low and they have a good balance of carbohydrates fats and protein.

The fact that they have low incidences of baldness, obesity, diabetes and are short shows that their diet is not anabolic like the west. It is changing slowly in Japan due to western influences on diet.

Low fat diets work with people who usually eat a lot of fat in their diet because it reduces a significant amount of calories.

Do the math on your actual calorie intake, that is the real difference.

The lack of fats and first class protein will also have a catabolic effect.

This diet will be missing essential fatty acids and essential amino acids.

Long term not good.