Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have decided to try a fully natural diet and health based treatment for my acne which I have unsuccessfully treated for the last 8-9 years. 10 days ago I stopped a course of accutane after only 5 weeks due to unusually difficult side effects: joint pain, headaches, dry eyes, photo sensitivity, nausea, vomiting, and raised cholesterol levels. I have decided to try a fully holistic treatment and may have found something in my family medical history that could be contributing to or fully be the cause of my acne.

I have acne since right around age 12-13 and have tried an array of treatments. Most recently accutane but previously I have used oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, most OTC and prescription topicals, laser treatments and facials. Nothing has really helped. I have starting extensively researching every possible option and have discovered a lot about diet, my diet history over the last 10 years, and my genetic history of acne.

I became interested in this when I started talking to my uncle who had acne very similar to mine and for a long time before it eventually cleared. He started telling me some of his medical issues that being based around high cholesterol, his diet, and his acne.

My uncle and I are very similar looking, same height, same build, he had similar acne, and he has had high cholesterol since he was my age and I have high cholesterol. (tested 316 on accutane 2 weeks ago) My family has a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol. Now my uncle is having serious heart issues directly due to his high cholesterol. Three years ago his cholesterol levels were 450. This year, four of the main arteries in his heart are 70% blocked with plaque. Now my uncle does not seem like your typical heart patient. He is 50 years old, former olympian, professional athlete, lifetime exercise addict. Never drinks, never smoked, you would never believe how healthy and young he appears.

His doctors want to do heart surgery but my uncle is refusing due to his job which involves traveling, living in a foreign country 6 months a year, physical exertion heart surgery has a long recovery with lifestyle changes. He is searching for a way to live with out western medication or surgery and has discovered research of people reversing the effects of the heart damage with extreme diets, along with various other holistic approaches. When he realized the heart danger and the level of his cholesterol he decided to change his diet. He went on a fully vegan, zero cholesterol, zero saturated fat carefully monitored 6 month diet in an effort to dramatically drop his cholesterol. Six moths later his cholesterol level was 90. His doctors were amazed that he had that big of an impact. This is a guy who never once tested below 240 on a cholesterol test.

He then told me how he thinks that diet and cholesterol could me a cause of my acne. He told me that his acne was very severe. Covered his chest, back, and face and he had it while he was my age which is 22. He said that his acne did eventually clear up on its own because no treatment worked for him. He is now 50 years old and he said up until now he has had very oily skin his whole life. Oily hair, oily face, oily skin. Within 2 months of starting a diet to lower his cholesterol his skin became dry for the first time in his life. He said up until this point he had never moisturized and his skin was always really oily. Now his skin was suddenly really dry and his hair was really dry. He had to start using moisturizer for the first time in his life.

So I started doing some research on diet, cholesterol, acne, sebaceous glands and sebum. I wanted to see if there is any association. I haven't found much directly relating to acne but I have found some very interesting things. I also started looking into my diet history.

I have to say, I thought my diet was healthy, and although I felt good and performed fine I still have had acne. The more I looked at my diet I realized something. I do eat everything that is healthy for you: Fish, fresh vegtables. fresh fruit. nuts, seeds, whole grain bread. The problem is, I also eat everything that is bad for you: cheese, butter, red meat, pasta, cream, pork, sugar. I eat. I eat a lot. I am 6'3" and my metabolism is just way to fast. When I think back of my eating habits, I ate healthy foods and meals such as baked salmon with sweet potatoes, green beans and a green salad. But I would also eat a unhealthy amount of ice cream after words. Maybe with a bowl of cereal or 3, before I go to bed. A healthy breakfast such as some oatmeal with toast eggs and fruit. But with butter in the eggs, butter on the toast, and butter in my oatmeal, along with some brown sugar or maple syrup of course. If I was over at my girlfriends mom's house for example and she offers me cookies, I might eat 20.

I've eaten 8 eggs in one sitting. 1 pound of bacon to myself, half gallons of ice cream, whole boxes of cereal for breakfast. Blocks of cheese for snacks. So basically what I discovered was

although I have always eating all the healthy foods i've also been eating all the bad foods. My cholesterol was tested at 280 before I started accutane, similar to what my uncles was at 22.

So I started researching cholesterol/diet and the association with oil production, sebaceous glands, and sebum. What I found is very interesting especially since I have already talked to someone how said that their cholesterol was directly related to diet, and their body's production of sebum.

"Sebum is produced when the sebaceous gland disintegrates. The cells take about a week from formation to discharge. Sebum is a complex and variable mixture of lipids including:

Glycerides

Free fatty acids

Wax esters

Squalene

Cholesterol esters

Cholesterol

Triglycerides produced by sebaceous glands are broken down by bacterial enzymes (lipases) in the sebaceous duct to form free fatty acids."

So there is at least some relation because cholesterol is excreted in the skin and sebum is partially made of cholesterol.

"Sebum production is under the control of sex hormones (androgens). The most active androgens are testosterone, 5-testosterone (DHT) and 5-androstene-317diol. These hormones and others are made by the sex glands (ovary in females, testis in males) and by the adrenal gland. These glands are in turn under the influence of the pituitary gland, located in the brain.

Androgens are made more active by enzymes in the skin and sexual organs. Type 1 5- reductase acts in the skin and Type II 5- reductase acts in the sexual organs. These enzymes convert less active androgens into the active testosterone and 5-testosterone (DHT). These more active androgens stimulate sebaceous gland cells to produce more sebum."

I have been researching studies that show how diet high in protein in relation to carbohydrates will reduce the activity of DHT.

"The amount of sebum can be altered by disease:

Pituitary, adrenal, ovarian or testicular disorders may increase or reduce it

Prolonged starvation reduces the amount of sebum

Parkinson's disease increases the amount of sebum"

There is obviously some connection to food although to what degree?

"There are two ways to prevent the negative effects of

dihydrotestosterone on your body. Either you have to inhibit the

activity of 5-alpha reductase* or you have to increase the breakdown of

dihydrotestosterone via your liver."

* eventually becomes DHT

I was thinking to take supplements such as Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) to help level my hormones by strengthening my liver along with diet.

Basically when I look at all this and I consider my uncles experience and research I am very optimistic that this will have some effect on my acne if not clear it. Along with smart exercise I am going to start this new diet and keep record for 3 months. If in three months I will check my cholesterol level and if I have seen no improvement maybe i'll consider accutane again.

NO

Dairy

soy

sugar

High GI foods

red meat

pork

processed or refined foods

Low

Gluten

fruit juices

Mostly

fresh fruit

fresh vegetables

whole grains

oats

beans

lentils

Cold water fish ( salmon, tuna, mackerel, trout)

organic skinless chicken/turkey

nuts

seeds

olive oil

green tea

water

Supplements

Multi-vitamin

vitamin a

B- complex

vitamin c

vitamin e

zinc

Milk Thistle

I was also interested in drinking a green smoothie everyday does anyone know a good recipe?

Well what do you guys think. Its worth a try in my opinion. I need to trust my body, and my body was telling me to stop taking accutane. So I am going to try this, if it fails I may consider accutane again in 3 months.

This is a link to another one of my posts if you want to see pictures of my skin.

Photos

Any opinions, advise or similar experiences to share welcome.

I have decided to try a fully natural diet and health based treatment for my acne which I have unsuccessfully treated for the last 8-9 years. 10 days ago I stopped a course of accutane after only 5 weeks due to unusually difficult side effects: joint pain, headaches, dry eyes, photo sensitivity, nausea, vomiting, and raised cholesterol levels. I have decided to try a fully holistic treatment and may have found something in my family medical history that could be contributing to or fully be the cause of my acne.

I have acne since right around age 12-13 and have tried an array of treatments. Most recently accutane but previously I have used oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, most OTC and prescription topicals, laser treatments and facials. Nothing has really helped. I have starting extensively researching every possible option and have discovered a lot about diet, my diet history over the last 10 years, and my genetic history of acne.

I became interested in this when I started talking to my uncle who had acne very similar to mine and for a long time before it eventually cleared. He started telling me some of his medical issues that being based around high cholesterol, his diet, and his acne.

My uncle and I are very similar looking, same height, same build, he had similar acne, and he has had high cholesterol since he was my age and I have high cholesterol. (tested 316 on accutane 2 weeks ago) My family has a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol. Now my uncle is having serious heart issues directly due to his high cholesterol. Three years ago his cholesterol levels were 450. This year, four of the main arteries in his heart are 70% blocked with plaque. Now my uncle does not seem like your typical heart patient. He is 50 years old, former olympian, professional athlete, lifetime exercise addict. Never drinks, never smoked, you would never believe how healthy and young he appears.

His doctors want to do heart surgery but my uncle is refusing due to his job which involves traveling, living in a foreign country 6 months a year, physical exertion heart surgery has a long recovery with lifestyle changes. He is searching for a way to live with out western medication or surgery and has discovered research of people reversing the effects of the heart damage with extreme diets, along with various other holistic approaches. When he realized the heart danger and the level of his cholesterol he decided to change his diet. He went on a fully vegan, zero cholesterol, zero saturated fat carefully monitored 6 month diet in an effort to dramatically drop his cholesterol. Six moths later his cholesterol level was 90. His doctors were amazed that he had that big of an impact. This is a guy who never once tested below 240 on a cholesterol test.

He then told me how he thinks that diet and cholesterol could me a cause of my acne. He told me that his acne was very severe. Covered his chest, back, and face and he had it while he was my age which is 22. He said that his acne did eventually clear up on its own because no treatment worked for him. He is now 50 years old and he said up until now he has had very oily skin his whole life. Oily hair, oily face, oily skin. Within 2 months of starting a diet to lower his cholesterol his skin became dry for the first time in his life. He said up until this point he had never moisturized and his skin was always really oily. Now his skin was suddenly really dry and his hair was really dry. He had to start using moisturizer for the first time in his life.

So I started doing some research on diet, cholesterol, acne, sebaceous glands and sebum. I wanted to see if there is any association. I haven't found much directly relating to acne but I have found some very interesting things. I also started looking into my diet history.

I have to say, I thought my diet was healthy, and although I felt good and performed fine I still have had acne. The more I looked at my diet I realized something. I do eat everything that is healthy for you: Fish, fresh vegtables. fresh fruit. nuts, seeds, whole grain bread. The problem is, I also eat everything that is bad for you: cheese, butter, red meat, pasta, cream, pork, sugar. I eat. I eat a lot. I am 6'3" and my metabolism is just way to fast. When I think back of my eating habits, I ate healthy foods and meals such as baked salmon with sweet potatoes, green beans and a green salad. But I would also eat a unhealthy amount of ice cream after words. Maybe with a bowl of cereal or 3, before I go to bed. A healthy breakfast such as some oatmeal with toast eggs and fruit. But with butter in the eggs, butter on the toast, and butter in my oatmeal, along with some brown sugar or maple syrup of course. If I was over at my girlfriends mom's house for example and she offers me cookies, I might eat 20.

I've eaten 8 eggs in one sitting. 1 pound of bacon to myself, half gallons of ice cream, whole boxes of cereal for breakfast. Blocks of cheese for snacks. So basically what I discovered was

although I have always eating all the healthy foods i've also been eating all the bad foods. My cholesterol was tested at 280 before I started accutane, similar to what my uncles was at 22.

So I started researching cholesterol/diet and the association with oil production, sebaceous glands, and sebum. What I found is very interesting especially since I have already talked to someone how said that their cholesterol was directly related to diet, and their body's production of sebum.

"Sebum is produced when the sebaceous gland disintegrates. The cells take about a week from formation to discharge. Sebum is a complex and variable mixture of lipids including:

Glycerides

Free fatty acids

Wax esters

Squalene

Cholesterol esters

Cholesterol

Triglycerides produced by sebaceous glands are broken down by bacterial enzymes (lipases) in the sebaceous duct to form free fatty acids."

So there is at least some relation because cholesterol is excreted in the skin and sebum is partially made of cholesterol.

"Sebum production is under the control of sex hormones (androgens). The most active androgens are testosterone, 5-testosterone (DHT) and 5-androstene-317diol. These hormones and others are made by the sex glands (ovary in females, testis in males) and by the adrenal gland. These glands are in turn under the influence of the pituitary gland, located in the brain.

Androgens are made more active by enzymes in the skin and sexual organs. Type 1 5- reductase acts in the skin and Type II 5- reductase acts in the sexual organs. These enzymes convert less active androgens into the active testosterone and 5-testosterone (DHT). These more active androgens stimulate sebaceous gland cells to produce more sebum."

I have been researching studies that show how diet high in protein in relation to carbohydrates will reduce the activity of DHT.

"The amount of sebum can be altered by disease:

Pituitary, adrenal, ovarian or testicular disorders may increase or reduce it

Prolonged starvation reduces the amount of sebum

Parkinson's disease increases the amount of sebum"

There is obviously some connection to food although to what degree?

"There are two ways to prevent the negative effects of

dihydrotestosterone on your body. Either you have to inhibit the

activity of 5-alpha reductase* or you have to increase the breakdown of

dihydrotestosterone via your liver."

* eventually becomes DHT

I was thinking to take supplements such as Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) to help level my hormones by strengthening my liver along with diet.

Basically when I look at all this and I consider my uncles experience and research I am very optimistic that this will have some effect on my acne if not clear it. Along with smart exercise I am going to start this new diet and keep record for 3 months. If in three months I will check my cholesterol level and if I have seen no improvement maybe i'll consider accutane again.

NO

Dairy

soy

sugar

High GI foods

red meat

pork

processed or refined foods

Low

Gluten

fruit juices

Mostly

fresh fruit

fresh vegetables

whole grains

oats

beans

lentils

Cold water fish ( salmon, tuna, mackerel, trout)

organic skinless chicken/turkey

nuts

seeds

olive oil

green tea

water

Supplements

Multi-vitamin

vitamin a

B- complex

vitamin c

vitamin e

zinc

Milk Thistle

I was also interested in drinking a green smoothie everyday does anyone know a good recipe?

Well what do you guys think. Its worth a try in my opinion. I need to trust my body, and my body was telling me to stop taking accutane. So I am going to try this, if it fails I may consider accutane again in 3 months.

This is a link to another one of my posts if you want to see pictures of my skin.

Photos

Any opinions, advise or similar experiences to share welcome.

red meat bad???? hmmmmmm.... they are fine to eat once a week ^^ what's wrong with it eating it once a week^^

I didn't read the entire post tbh, but:

low gluten: gluten-FREE would be better. If you have a sensitivity, even a little will hurt.

no red meat: again, ppl keep bashing red meat without much idea as to why. Healthoid reiterates this ALL THE TIME, fat from animal meat is important.

wholegrains/oats/beans/lentils: all this will totally f*** with ur digestion. Seriously. Starch, lectin proteins, possible gluten from the oats/wholegrains.

fruit: should be in moderation. As much as we like to not think it, fruit IS nature's candy. You can concentrate on trying to get fruits low in sucrose/starch but it doesn't mean you should eat alot of it.

EddieE: is it really necessary to keep 'replying' to such long posts?

Did you guys happen to read anything about cholesterol in there, because that was the main subject. Most people suggest no red meat for a cholesterol dropping diet. I don't want any saturated fats. This isn't for life I will tell you that.

Anyway what I meant to say is that red meat has as much to do with this entire post as the period at the end, or a few commas. Not much.

I think your diet and excersize plan is a wonderful idea! My mom has high blood pressure, colitis, migraines, digestion problems all around...plus much much more. She started a vegan diet and after one month, most of her problems cleared up almost completely. Sometimes she has relapses, but for the most part, a raw vegan, gluten-dairy-wheat/grain free diet is the way to go. I have many symptoms of what my mom is going through and I also have acne on top of it. I've started this diet about 2 weeks ago and things seem to be going alright. My acne is still around, but I realize it's going to take at least 6 months to see improvements in that area. As far as everything else, it's going really well. As for your cholesterol issue, I am sure this diet will dramatically change things. Wait it out and see. Our bodies weren't made to digest all of these man-made yummy foods and processed junk. If you haven't seen an EXTREME improvement in three months, give yourself at least another three months. I think 6 months is a fair enough time. I also believe that your choice to stop taking accutane was a good choice. I've taken it once before and it worked really well for about a year and a half, but my acne came back full force so it was sort of like I never took it at all. It was just a waste of effort.

As for your vitamin intake and your diet. If you're willing, you should go completely gluten-free, meat-free, dairy-free, and wheat/grain-free. Try to lessen your sugar intake as well. Fruit has loads of sugar so make sure you ONLY eat fruit in the morning, and try not to eat much of it. It's hard to find things to eat, but in the long run you'll get used to it and it won't be as hard. Brown rice, potatoes, vegetable stir fry made with coconut oil, no eggs, and made w/ brown rice (not white rice) is awesome. Trust me, you'll be eating a whole bunch of vegetables. I personally get pretty gaggy and get sick of eating a salad everyday, so I switch off. I'll eat a bunch of cut of vegetables a lot of the time over a big salad. Cut up zuccini, tomatoes, carrots, celery, spinach, cucumber, broccoli (make sure it's all raw). Try to eat mostly raw. It's better for you. If you decide to eat cooked food, eat it in moderation. For instance, I eat cooked food for dinner because well...it's dinner. But in the morning and afternoon I'll eat mostly raw. I don't know if you have a whole foods market in your area, but they carry these brown rice crackers. They're in an orange package and even though they weigh nothing and they may not have an incredible amount of flavor, they are actually really good. You can put almond butter on them, or hummus. If you want snacks, eat some hummus with vegetables and make sure you drink A LOT OF WATER! Try to avoid caffeine because it's just all around bad for you. If you drink green tea, that's ok. I believe they have caffeine-free green tea, so if you can find it, then get that.

What a lot of people don't realize is that eating right is one thing, but digesting correctly and accurately is another. If you're eating the right things and your cholestrol and acne hasn't cleared up hardly at all, you might want to check into digestive enzymes. They come in pill form, you can take them with all of your other vitamins as well. They help break down your food to make it easier for the body to digest and utilize the food in the right way. Also, try to avoid fruit juices. They'll sneak up on you. I love orange juice and if I have one cup, I'll want another and so on so forth, and it's just not good. The sugar intake is just not worth it. Anyways, sorry for the messiness of this reply...but keep me posted! We're both in the same boat here, slightly different, but keep me posted anyways... I hope all goes well with you. And remember, it will pay off in the long run. It's hard seeing people eating cakes and candy's and PIZZA...but be strong!