Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnygirl

Sunnygirl's experience with Tazorac

Wow, thanks for the awesome compliment! It's funny, I was actually going to update today, but put it off until I saw your comment.

Since going back to a very simple routine such as:

1. Take off make-up and wash with cetaphil

2. Moisturize with Aveeno ultra calming day with spf 15/night cream

3. Tazorac at night

My skin has improved dramatically. It took a while for everything to calm down, and I still have a couple of pimples that are healing, but I haven't been breaking out like I have before. Thank you so much for your advice! I had no idea that I shouldn't be using other AHA products while using tazorac. That explains a lot. I think I'll try your advice with the application of taz and see how that goes. I live in Vancouver BC, so it's nice to get advice from someone who is familiar with our climate and region.

Thanks again!

My derm just prescribed tazorac .05% cream (she claims it's stronger than the retin a .025% cream I've been using) but I find it extremely greasy and oily, which is weird because I had no issues with the retin a cream. Do you use the gel or cream version? If you use the gel version, can you tell me what strength and if it's greasy? I'm thinking of asking for the gel version at my next derm appt (about 3-4 weeks from now).

I use the 0.1% cream, and yes, it is greasy. I don't mind since I use it before bed anyways. When I was at a derm several years ago, she gave me a sample of the 0.05% gel and it wasn't greasy at all. You may ask your derm for the gel if the cream version bothers you.

My skin is still improving from the horrid breakout over the holidays. I only have one on my forehead and one that has been there for a while on my right jawline :dance: I was looking at pictures of my vacation that I took a-year-and-a-half ago, and the difference in my skin is amazing. Tazorac has gotten rid of my melasma and made my skin more even tone as well as diminished a heck of a lot of my wrinkles. My skin now looks hydrated and even (despite the few pimples that I have). It took looking at the differences between the photos for me to really understand that taz is making a difference.

Proof is in the photos. In the July 2007 photos you can clearly see the melasma on my forehead and upper cheeks as well as serious eye wrinkles. The photo from late November is before the crazy breakout I experienced in December, and a couple of the pimples I did have are on the other side of my face not visible, but my skin tone is even and my melasma is gone.

P.S. Just so you know, I AM WEARING MAKE-UP & CONCEALER in these photos, so any red spots etc. are heavily covered up.

post-42624-1231891570_thumb.png

post-42624-1231891641_thumb.png

post-42624-1231891570_thumb.png

post-42624-1231891641_thumb.png

Thanks for answering! I think I will stick with the cream since it's winter and so cold. Also, I didn't expect the cream to be so powerful. But I will definitely ask for the gel version once it gets warmer, can't imagine using the cream in the summer.

Are you still using spiro? My derm just put me on it, I'm keeping track of my tazorac and spiro progress. I miss the old days in my early twenties when I could just use a benzoly peroxide wash and get maybe 1 small zit a week. Uggh!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Success-R...ac-t208576.html

I use the 0.1% cream, and yes, it is greasy. I don't mind since I use it before bed anyways. When I was at a derm several years ago, she gave me a sample of the 0.05% gel and it wasn't greasy at all. You may ask your derm for the gel if the cream version bothers you.

My skin is still improving from the horrid breakout over the holidays. I only have one on my forehead and one that has been there for a while on my right jawline :dance: I was looking at pictures of my vacation that I took a-year-and-a-half ago, and the difference in my skin is amazing. Tazorac has gotten rid of my melasma and made my skin more even tone as well as diminished a heck of a lot of my wrinkles. My skin now looks hydrated and even (despite the few pimples that I have). It took looking at the differences between the photos for me to really understand that taz is making a difference.

Proof is in the photos. In the July 2007 photos you can clearly see the melasma on my forehead and upper cheeks as well as serious eye wrinkles. The photo from late November is before the crazy breakout I experienced in December, and a couple of the pimples I did have are on the other side of my face not visible, but my skin tone is even and my melasma is gone.

P.S. Just so you know, I AM WEARING MAKE-UP & CONCEALER in these photos, so any red spots etc. are heavily covered up.

No problem! It's kind of a common idea that the more we use, the faster we will see results. I am really guilty of this myself-- I used to use all kinds of products at once, thinking that I'd get results faster. But often times products interfere with one another and are counterproductive and make progress slower. Also, by using multiple products, you are likely irritating your skin, and when your skin is irritated it will react (breakouts maybe?).

Good luck, and that guy is really lucky!!! You are looking good!

I've now completed six months of tazorac and wanted to give a little update.

My skin is continuing to improve despite a massive breakout I had last week due to my period, but it's clearing up rapidly. Unfortunately, my chin looks like a battlefield though. I changed my cleanser from Aveeno Ultra Calming wash to spectro jel a few weeks ago and love it. I also replaced my Aveeno Ultra Calming moisturizer with organic jojoba oil and I think that's why my skin has been clearing up and healing so fast. Hooray!

In other news I just had another hormone panel done due to some other stuff going on. I also go in for an ultrasound on my ovaries at the beginning of March, so I will know conclusively if I have PCOS or any other hormonal problem going on by mid-March. I'm relieved about that. It's been a long time coming.

Sunny Girl your thread is inspiring! I have been on 0.1% Taz for two weeks. Mild irritation started at the end of week one. The bumps were itchy and red, but the small ones went away when I applied a cool ice pack to my face. Currently I have about 6 healing bumps. :boohoo: I have gotten only one new bump this week. :cool: I am not looking forward to the dreaded initial break out, but so far it has not been worse than usual. BTW my doctor never said to wait before moisturizing. What is the advantage of this? I always heard that moisturizer should be applied while the skin is still moist. Also I do not wait to apply Taz. My regimen:

Mornings: I either rinse my face in warm epsom salt water or if I am in a hurry I use noxzema. I spread on a thin coat of Clenia emollient and avoid make-up as much as possible. Then I use Olay spf 15 non-comedogenic moisturizer for sensitive skin.

Evenings: The wash is the same as above. I also add Clenia and a non spf moisturizer. Then I treat with about 1/4 a pea size of Taz.

I think the reason why certain derms tell you to wait a half hour before applying taz after cleansing is to ensure that your skin is completely dry to avoid any possible irritation. I moisturize right after cleansing with jojoba oil, which I love, and then wait 20-30 mins before applying taz. Sometimes if I'm at m fiance's house I apply taz immediately after cleansing and moisturizing so that I don't have a super long routine before bed. I don't notice any negative effects in my skin when I do that.

My skin is a little up and down right now. I have a few lumps and bumps on my chin. Not many, maybe four in total. Two very tiny bums on my right jawline and two residual bumps left over on my forehead from zits that I popped (Bad I know, but they had to go). Other than that, my face looks great. I have absolutely clear skin on my cheeks and neck which used to be a big problem area for me. I'm pleased so far, but wish my chin would catch up with the rest of my face. I have super bad hyper-pigmentation all over my face from past and present breakouts and hope, with time, that they will fade.

I've been on Taz for about a month a half

and I really don't know what to make of it

My skin is extremly dry and flaky

but for the past 3 days I haven't had any

new breakouts. But today I woke up with 2 new zits

I'm going to give this 2 more weeks.

Yesterday I implemented zinc and fish oil pill to my diet

hoping that it clears my forehead ( I only have mild acne on my forehead)

My daliy regime consist of

1- Washing with murad cleanser

2- I let my face air dry

3- use 5% Glycolic cleansing pad

4- Apply moustutizer

5- Apply Aveeno sunscreen

Take 1 zinc pill

Take 2 fish oil pills

Take Solodyn 135 gm

Night

1-Wash with Murad Cleanser

2-Let my face air dry

3- use 5% Glycolic cleansing pad

4- Apply mousturizer

Take 1 Zinc Pill

Take 2 fish oil pills

take Ortho bc

Drink plenty of water with lemon

I tried the vinegar and lemor for 2 days

The vinegar healed my existing acne

but irritated my skin- So I'm going to give it a rest for several days

Right now I'm not using any type of make up

Almost at the end of seven months. Two new cysts on my left jawline. Two zits on my chin. One zit on my forehead. Red marks like a battlefield all over my face. I'm upset and really sick of it. I'm also wondering if it's an allergy since I consumed milk and oranges last week a few days before breaking out, but can't afford to take an allergy test. I guess I'll try an elimination diet and see what I come up with.

End of month 7: Skin was doing better and then I got my period and my chin exploded in zits seemingly overnight. I'm wondering if taz will ever work. I've also been very sick this past week with the flu, laryngitis and now a vicious sinus infection. Maybe every thing combined caused it, or maybe just my period. Who knows.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for today to check if my ovaries are okay. I had the hormonal blood panel done last month and I finds out the results, if I have PCOS or not, in a couple of weeks. It's a tiring road and I'm very frustrated. I'll give taz a few more months, but if it doesn't improve by June, I have to look into other topicals since birth control and accutane are NOT an option for me due to depression and fibrocystic breast disease.

So my chin is starting to clear up, finally. That was a horrible two weeks of hell. I still don't know what caused it, whether it's a food allergy, the flu or my period. All I can say is that I have four zits on my chin (used to be 10-12) that are clearing up, and I hope by the weekend they will be gone. I just pray that another breakout isn't around the corner. The other areas of my face are clear and look terrific. My chin has always been my problem area for as long as I can remember.

I have noticed my skin is really flakey lately. We've had a last blast of winter here in Vancouver and got snow yesterday. Today is so freezing! I guess my skin is extra dry because of taz and the weather. That's about it for now. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that my chin acne will continue to clear.

Me too! What is it about the chin!?! The weird thing is that I never used to get zits on my chin before I turned 25 or so.. is it that our hormones go crazier as we age?!? I read somewhere that our body has the highest amount of androgens right before our period, which is responsible for hormonal acne and oiliness. Not sure if it's true. My parents didn't have acne when they were growing up so they can't understand why I get spots! Grr.

I just received my test results from my gyno today - I have low estrogen! My estrogen is 97 and she said that it should be around 110. My gyno has assured me that I AM NOT PERIMENOPAUSAL since my other hormone levels are within normal range. She did forgot to include a testosterone test, so I have to get that done in a couple of weeks. My ovarian ultrasound came back completely clear and the hormone tests indicated I DON'T HAVE PCOS. Yay for that, but boo for low estrogen.

My gyno is also concerned that I may have trouble conceiving or maintaining a pregnancy due to low estrogen. I'm getting married in 14 months and she even suggested that we start trying very soon before the wedding. It also explains the list of symptoms I have such as irritability, acne, sexual issues, sleep issues and also night sweats.

So that leaves me to figure out what to do to increase estrogen levels naturally through diet and nutrition. I want to take non-estrogenic herbs/supplements that balance hormones naturally and not by adding photoestrogens that mimic estrogen in the body. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Right now my acne still sucks as always. Maybe it's a little less sucky than usual, but still crap. I have three lumps on my forehead, two zits on my chin and woke up to two bumps forming on my right jawline. Awesome.

Nothing new to report. STILL breaking out. STILL frustrated. Just popped one cyst on my forehead and have another one on the bottom right side of my chin as well as one forming on my right temple. One zit on the left side of my chin under my lip and two small zits on my upper lip on the right side. I am under a huge amount of stress at work and finishing up school not to mention I'm about to get my period any day now. I don't understand why or what I'm doing wrong.

Are you going to try to increase the levels of estrogen in your body? I read a decent book recently about balancing hormones naturally through food and vitamins. It's called "The Hormone Solution" by Dr. Erika Schwartz. I haven't followed it since the spiro and taz seem to be kicking in for me and also it's very hard for me to control my diet right now.. but maybe worth a try?

I was watching Oprah and they said they had natural or bio-identical hormones that are available that are supposedly better than synthetics. Although, the estrogen in birth control is natural, it's just the progestin that is synthetic. I wonder if there is a way to get prescribed just the estrogen that you need?

Nothing new to report. STILL breaking out. STILL frustrated. Just popped one cyst on my forehead and have another one on the bottom right side of my chin as well as one forming on my right temple. One zit on the left side of my chin under my lip and two small zits on my upper lip on the right side. I am under a huge amount of stress at work and finishing up school not to mention I'm about to get my period any day now. I don't understand why or what I'm doing wrong.

Do you get new breakouts every single day like I do?

Hi Molly!

(beginning month 9)

Thank goodness that breakout is over and my skin is quickly healing and looking decent again. I only break out really bad the week before my period now. I still break out the rest of the month, but only 2-3 zits a week. The week before my period I can get 2-3 pimples a day. It's sooooo frustrating, but I remember it used to be very bad and now it's much better. I still have a tremendous amount of red marks though.

Before tazorac I remember I wouldn't leave the apartment during some weekends because I would have like 10 or more cysts all over my face. I remember this one time I had a horrible cystic breakout and had so many cysts on my chin, this girl was intensely staring at me in the Safeway line up. It made me feel inhuman. Now, I don't feel I have to hide anymore. I let my fiance see me without makeup on now - my goal is to someday only having to wear a little concealer and powder. A girl can hope, can't she?

Hi Sunnygirl :)

Just stopping by to wish you luck! I hope one day you will finally have the clear skin you deserve but in the mean time you are absolutely stunning regardless!!!! I too have the same dream that one day a dash of concealer and Im out the door! I have hope for both of us :)

Love Frida.k

I think the reason why certain derms tell you to wait a half hour before applying taz after cleansing is to ensure that your skin is completely dry to avoid any possible irritation. I moisturize right after cleansing with jojoba oil, which I love, and then wait 20-30 mins before applying taz. Sometimes if I'm at m fiance's house I apply taz immediately after cleansing and moisturizing so that I don't have a super long routine before bed. I don't notice any negative effects in my skin when I do that.

My skin is a little up and down right now. I have a few lumps and bumps on my chin. Not many, maybe four in total. Two very tiny bums on my right jawline and two residual bumps left over on my forehead from zits that I popped (Bad I know, but they had to go). Other than that, my face looks great. I have absolutely clear skin on my cheeks and neck which used to be a big problem area for me. I'm pleased so far, but wish my chin would catch up with the rest of my face. I have super bad hyper-pigmentation all over my face from past and present breakouts and hope, with time, that they will fade.

Hey I am new here and just thought I would say hi. I am currently using Tazorac Gel .01% and I have done a lot of research about it. From what I read the Tazorac is more potent when applied to wet skin. I read that a moisturizer is just used to protect the skin, and increase your skins natural protective barrier since Taz is so harsh. I also read that once you get used to the Taz optimally you can use it on unmoisturized skin because it works better. Now I don't know if this is true but thought I would throw it out there. I don't think I could do that though because my skin is already red and itchy, flakey. There is nothing worse than a sore flakey face that get greasy during the day. It feels like you have saran wrap on your face or something. Also, my derm recommended this moisturizer to me several weeks ago. I kept stopping the Taz because my face would get a sort of chemical burn look to it after maybe a few good nights of using the Taz. Then I would stop and wait and somtimes just stop altogether. So she recommended Cerave Cleanser and Moisturizer. You can get it at Walgreens or CVS. It is amazing. I recommend you try it and maybe continue using it forever if you like it.

I still have so many clogged pores though. Like flesh colored bumps under the skin. I thought this stuff was supposed to get rid of them but I keep waiting and it seems like it has somewhat and the texture of my skin is a little better.

Ok well have a nice day! You are beautiful by the way.

Holy, I haven't posted in a month. Time goes by so fast! I've been off from work for a month now and catching up on my sleep, reading, running, cooking and just life in general. I have another month-and-a-half before returning to work. My fiance has also been staying with me for a few weeks now, which makes updating a little bit more difficult.

This past month has been a little weird. I'm now experiencing periods of great skin and then wham! Breakouts again. I am happy to say that my forehead and cheeks are beautiful...no zits at all. Like always, my problem areas are my chin and neck. My neck was totally clear a couple of weeks ago and then broke out recently. It looks totally gross and I hate it more than the acne on my chin. As for my chin, the good news is that I only get regular pimples now. No more cysts. I thank tazorac for thats. It's so frustrating when all I want is clear skin. It's especially hard with my fiance here as well because I want to look good and I have about eight zits on my chin and red marks everywhere. It always seems like where ever I go, I'm the only one that has acne. :wall:

I'm still using spectro jel to cleanse and jojoba oil to moisturize. I recently switched my makeup from Revlon Colorstay foundation and L'Oreal powder to Cover FX concealer on the spots and an organic mineral makeup that has no chemicals, fillers or preservatives. So far, so good. No cysts.

Good luck to you all in your battle :angel:

I always read your log when I poke around here, and wanted to just drop a note to wish you luck. Also to let you know that I am now on my 10th month of RAM (not the same, I know, but both are retinoids), and after maybe three months or so with a week or so of clear skin interrupted by dreaded cysts, I FINALLY, just this month, had a completely cyst free month, including at ovulation and before my period. (My usual bad times). So much for full results after three months, but better at 10 months than never. Anyway, I hope things get better for you too!

Hi Amorfati!

I follow your log as well. It's nice to know that we are so similar with our skin issues and experiences with our topicals. I too break out during ovulation and my period, and this last bad breakout was during mid-month. I was so hopeful this month because I barely broke out during my period. Needless to say, two weeks later my face is a mess and slowly starting to recover now.

It's been a long go with tazorac...I'm staring my tenth month as well (I started at the beginning of August) and although my skin is way better than when I started, but I'm still so frustrated that I'm not perfectly clear! I'm hoping by the summer, and a year into treatment, I'll see significant improvement. This is still the best treatment I've tried so far, and I've been on accutane four times, so I'll stick with it. :D

Hi Molly!

(beginning month 9)

Thank goodness that breakout is over and my skin is quickly healing and looking decent again. I only break out really bad the week before my period now. I still break out the rest of the month, but only 2-3 zits a week. The week before my period I can get 2-3 pimples a day. It's sooooo frustrating, but I remember it used to be very bad and now it's much better. I still have a tremendous amount of red marks though.

Before tazorac I remember I wouldn't leave the apartment during some weekends because I would have like 10 or more cysts all over my face. I remember this one time I had a horrible cystic breakout and had so many cysts on my chin, this girl was intensely staring at me in the Safeway line up. It made me feel inhuman. Now, I don't feel I have to hide anymore. I let my fiance see me without makeup on now - my goal is to someday only having to wear a little concealer and powder. A girl can hope, can't she?

Im glad your skin is improving Natalie. Thats so mean of that girl to stare at you. I wouldve said something to her

Hi Amorfati!

I follow your log as well. It's nice to know that we are so similar with our skin issues and experiences with our topicals. I too break out during ovulation and my period, and this last bad breakout was during mid-month. I was so hopeful this month because I barely broke out during my period. Needless to say, two weeks later my face is a mess and slowly starting to recover now.

It's been a long go with tazorac...I'm staring my tenth month as well (I started at the beginning of August) and although my skin is way better than when I started, but I'm still so frustrated that I'm not perfectly clear! I'm hoping by the summer, and a year into treatment, I'll see significant improvement. This is still the best treatment I've tried so far, and I've been on accutane four times, so I'll stick with it. :D

Hi. :D I stumbled across this log today. I'm not really active in this forum much, but occasionally I would to check out information I want to read. I started Tazorac (0.1 Gel though) in the beginning of August 2008 too! And I'm still on it. This is my 10th month as well!

One thing you might find inspirational is that Tazorac has given me an intial breakout that lasted for a month or two. But since December, my acne has been basically dead. Except I had two or three pimples every now and then on my forehead or between my nose and mouth. Before I used Tazorac, I would have acne between my eyes, around my hairline, under my chin, and many other places, but since using it, I'm pleased with the results. I only had one massive breakout since using it, but that was from a pill I took for allergies. The entire breakout healed in a week.

My regimen is the same as yours, except I use different things.

In the morning:

- CeraVe Cleanser to wash face

- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion to moisturize

At night time:

- CeraVe Cleanser to wash face

- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion to moisturize (2 minutes after I cleanse)

- Tazorac 0.1 Gel (10 minutes after I moisturize)

I find that making my regimen more complex than that can make things bad. I read over the three pages of your log, and one thing I want to point out is that dairy (milk) has affected many people in this forum in terms of acne, and it has affected me as well.

If you have any questions about my regimen or acne condition, I'll be happy to answer :D

I wish you the best of luck with Tazorac