Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey,everyone!

I am 12 years old and I have mild acne,currently 1 zit between my eyebrows and a pink one on my cheek,and a few scars. I used to have moderate acne but it has healed(most of it).

Anyway,right now I'm using a wash that my doctor prescribed to me(Lavoclen 4% Benzoyl Peroxide to be exact).It's working well.I'm getting happier everyday! :dance:

On Saturday,my mother suggested that I should go back to Proactiv again.

It worked well,I don't know why I stopped though.

When I did,I did not break out much,just a few pimples,like 2 or 3.

But...I'm scared to go back.

I've heard all these things like,Proactiv only works for like 5 months and then looses its effectiveness.(I'm scared this will happen to me).

Or it makes you age faster.

Well,anyway I want to know what has happened to you.

Share away!

Hi Sydneii!

I am currently using Proactiv Solution. Where do i begin...there are so many pros and cons!

Some of the good things about proactiv (at least in my opinion) is that the toner does not contain alcohol. It contains glycolic acid, which i love! And the benzoyl peroxide is 2.5% strength, which most people say is a good amount. Also, the products claim they contain skin-soothing ingredients as well, which may help.

Some bad things about proactiv is that the cleanser can be too harsh. Also the price is kinda expensive when you really think about it, plus the shipping and handling charges can get ridiculous.

Overall, i think proactiv is ok. BUT...at around the same time i started using it, i also eliminated dairy from my diet (dairy is said to trigger acne), i started using Dan's AHA+ at nights, and i began taking a zinc supplement. So as you can see, i have no idea what caused my acne to clear up. LOL. I just ordered Paula's Choice products last night because i've heard so many good things about her products. Check out her website if you're interested.

Personally, i dont think you should get proactiv. If your face wash is working, then keep using it. And you say you have mild acne, so any product may help. And remember to eat healthy, exercise, try not to use too much makeup if you even use makeup, and be happy!!! :) You're only 12 years old, so have fun and enjoy being young! I turn 20 in a few days and i already feel old. Good luck!

Worked for 3 months and then quit working at all.

It broke my heart, to be perfectly honest. And cancelling my "subscription" was a pain in the ass, took 20 minutes to finally convince the sales lady that yes, I really did want to cancel.

Yes, Elsewhere is right! I called customer service yesterday to cancel my membership account, and it took so long and they kept telling me to stick with it. So frustrating! That's another thing to think about...

Proactive- does it really work? I read SO many mixed reviews...but here is mine.

I only used the BP lotion because from everything I read, the cleanser and toner were useless. Unfortunately it is pricey but I figured it was worth it. I used it for about a year with pretty good results, but off and on results (still would breakout here and there). I decided to try Dan's BP because it's cheaper and seems to be more gentle. Plus the reviews are much higher for his then for the Proactive (you can read reviews at makeupalley.com too, if you are interested- reviews are under acne.org)

Only been using it for a week but my skin has seemed to improve. I'm going to start AHA again- the Alpha Hyrdox brand- sorry Dan, but used it in the past with good results so going to stick with that.

If I were you, I would just bypass Proactive and use Dan's. Why pay more if you don't really need to?

Good luck...

I worked for me. I used get like a pimple every month so it wasn't bad. It would usually be kind of small so it didn't matter. But I quit using it because it was too expensive for me and I can't afford it right now.

I think I'm going to stop using bp at the moment (will only use it a spot treatment). Mostly because I have a lot of red marks right now and I've read that bp makes the healing process for red marks slower. Which I believe since from the time started using proactiv(BP) my red marks seem to never go away. Before they used to go away within two months or so. Now I have red marks that have been there for like 10 months.

Hi i have used Proactiv since i was 13 (i'm 26)and it works really.Though it doesnt clear up the oil from within but it helps my breakouts dramatically and heals existing ones.

The products I have used were Clean&Clear Advantage(big mistake), and some Clearasil products.(They were okay)

How much is Dan's kit?I've read reviews.

It worked for me and still working =] What I can tell is that its Repairing Lotion really works! If i use it continuously for a week all my pimples will be gone. But the thing is, dont rely only on Proactiv to fight acne. Change your diet! Take sugar out of your diet + proactiv = clear skin ^^

Good luck :dance:

I haven't used proactive myself, but my best friend did for her acne which was pretty mild. I saw her face go from a couple of pimples to pretty broken out! Hers was in control without a derm, but she had to go get perscription cream.

When I was 17, I developed moderate acne: pustules on the chin/forehead were not common (yet not rare, either), but my biggest issue was my cheeks. I had big, deep, painful red pimples which were so stubborn and would not leave for any OTC cleanser. Proactiv cleared me up completely within a couple of months - barring red marks and some "friendly" leftovers.

I don't think Proactiv will work for severe acne. I know mine was/is hormonal, not genetic or anything like that. Overall I have a mild case, since my chest and back have always been completely clear.

I used Proactiv for a good 2 years. I stopped using it for two reasons: One, it was too expensive, and two, I felt that I didn't need such an intense regime anymore, since my face is clearing up by itself (again, I'm pretty sure I have hormonal acne).

i just started using proactiv 2 and a half weeks ago..

and its helped clear me up a lot.

it stopped all my actives zits and i havent gotten any since.

however, i broke out kinda bad for a week...and my skin got extremely dry, i even stayed home from school because it was so dry it hurt to talk.

after that, i stopped using the cleanser twice a day (i find it a little to rough to use twice a day)

and i just use water in the mornings...and continue on with the rest of the proactiv set (toner + repair lotion + moisturizer)

i personally LOVE the refining mask..

i put it on my bad spots over night, and it has dramatically reduced my red spots and stopped active acne from getting bad.

i love that stuff..

ive heard it stopped working, and im a little scared for that,

but so far, so good.

best of luck to you.

i just started using proactiv 2 and a half weeks ago..

and its helped clear me up a lot.

it stopped all my actives zits and i havent gotten any since.

however, i broke out kinda bad for a week...and my skin got extremely dry, i even stayed home from school because it was so dry it hurt to talk.

after that, i stopped using the cleanser twice a day (i find it a little to rough to use twice a day)

and i just use water in the mornings...and continue on with the rest of the proactiv set (toner + repair lotion + moisturizer)

i personally LOVE the refining mask..

i put it on my bad spots over night, and it has dramatically reduced my red spots and stopped active acne from getting bad.

i love that stuff..

ive heard it stopped working, and im a little scared for that,

but so far, so good.

best of luck to you.

I hope it continues to work for you, but 2 1/2 weeks is not enough time to be on it. Good luck

I used Proactiv for about a year and half. I always had clear skin since I was your age, all the way through high school. Then for some reason when I was between 18 and 19 my face just broke out. I had never experienced anything like it before, but I had an older sister who did. She was having some success with Proactiv, so I tried it. Right away after using it I started to see results. Slowly my acne cleared up. It worked for about I would say 3 to 4 months than it just got less effective. So I continued using it anyway because it still kept my acne at bay. Well about a year in I decided maybe something else will work since Proactiv just seems to be getting less and less effective. I switched to Murad Acne Complex. Now that was a mistake! Yikes! In the first 3 days my face broke out like crazy! I went online and checked out what other people were saying, and they were getting the same results. I wish I would of checked the web first before ordering the wash. Regardless I gave it a valiant effort and continued use for about 3 more weeks. After the 3 weeks when my face was broke out worse than it has EVER been I returned to product for a full refund. That was a complete waste of time! So I just decided it was time to see a dermatologist. He suggested I use this new soap called Joesoef Anti-Acne Soap. It has 10% Sulfur in it. Than he gave me some antibiotics to take daily. Along with BenzaClin in the AM and Differin in the PM. We'll see how it goes. But overall Proactiv worked at first, than got less and less effective. So GOOD LUCK! :D

I started proactiv when I was 12 or 13. My mom decided to buy it for me because my skin was getting out of control. Ever inch was covered in big pimples! (thank god it's not THAT bad anymore) I used it for about 5 months to a year, it worked great and I was clear as far as I remember. After a while I noticed it completely stopped working, like my skin had become immune to it. After that I was on and off over the counter medications and one doctor prescribed. I have finally found something that makes my skin pretty decent.

I'd just like to add that ProActiv is a good product. Honestly I don't use the bottle that has the stuff with beads and the toner because it's too much work. What I do is put the BP that came with it all over my face, like shaving creme and then take the sulfur mask and cover the problem areas. In the morning the problems are gone, just a little red mark.

Now the bad part. I called and canceled my ProActiv because I had like 4 bottles and didn't need any more. The sales person tried to make me keep on, but I told them that I did not need anymore. A couple days later I check my mail and there it is ProActiv. I called them stating that I did not want it and that I was sending it back. The lady tells me to keep it for free, that it was a gift to try to get me to come back. I said thanks. Few months later I get a letter in the mail that I haven't paid, and that they were reporting me to a bill collector.

So, good products, bad company.

Proactive made me break out and made my skin all red and irritated, and I don't consider myself as having very sensitive skin or anything either.