Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bakrsdzn

Thinking of going to nothing but a cleanser...

I'm on Dan's regimen right now, and I am getting tired of the twice daily routine. I've been on some form of BP (Benzaclin, Benzamycin, Dan's BP) for the past few years. I'm very tempted to just drop everything and go back to washing with a mild cleanser. Applying all these creams just feels so unnatural.

Has anyone tried this that can tell me about their experience?

Yep, and my skin looks smooth. Only three bumps at the moment, and they'll go away sooner or later. Your skin will get worse before it gets better though, so there's your only warning. Flaking will eventually go away, as will having to moisturize. I only moisturize like 2 dabs as I only have an area or two that is still dry, the rest of my face is perfectly fine.

It's worth the plunge, but it also depends on family history and what not. If your family is not really known to have REALLY BAD acne and most of them haven't used any treatment for it, then this method will likely benefit you more than not. Often times, my acne was the victim of my own "cleaning", which actually only made it worse.

Check out my log or just PM me if you have any questions.

Yep, and my skin looks smooth. Only three bumps at the moment, and they'll go away sooner or later. Your skin will get worse before it gets better though, so there's your only warning. Flaking will eventually go away, as will having to moisturize. I only moisturize like 2 dabs as I only have an area or two that is still dry, the rest of my face is perfectly fine.

It's worth the plunge, but it also depends on family history and what not. If your family is not really known to have REALLY BAD acne and most of them haven't used any treatment for it, then this method will likely benefit you more than not. Often times, my acne was the victim of my own "cleaning", which actually only made it worse.

Check out my log or just PM me if you have any questions.

Did you quit BP over a period of time, going from full application to less to none at all? Or did you quit outright?

I think I gradually toned it down to not using it every other day to start off, and then after a week of doing that I just said "eff it" and just stopped using it completely. I don't really regret it, because the skin does take a while to get accustomed to not using BP. I mean, I still have dry patches on my chin, but it's much less than what I had when I was on BP, so no biggie.

However, my skin looks much, MUCH, smoother now than it used to. However, the breakouts I had in July were pretty bad, I won't lie. In fact, I had to quit my summer job like 2 weeks earlier than I wanted to because my acne went absolutely crazy to the point that it started hurting just to smile. However, that might have also been due to the fact that I started taking like 50 supplements at one time 2 weeks after I quit BP. I'm not sure what it was, but I stopped using all supplements after that breakout, and I haven't used BP since, and my skin is now coming along really nicely. Still a few red marks and what not, but it looks normal for the most part.

I think you'll get a breakout either way (not to scare you), but that's just the skin going back to its natural state after YEARS of abuse, so I guess it takes it a while to get accustomed. Another thread on this board by a guy doing the "basic survival kit method" (as I call it) said that after 4-8 months on this regimen, your face basically goes back to normal....but then again, this all depends on how your face used to be before you started putting on repetitive medication and how bad your family acne history is.

Not too much acne in the family. Both my parents said they had it during adolescence but grew out of it. My cousins had it, but they grew out of it by about 20.

My acne's never been that bad. Biggin's don't pop up too often, and when they do they never occur in groups. My acne was probably worst last year when I was using Benzamycin "paks." I would break out along the jawline and on my cheek bones. Stopped that, started Benzaclin again, worked for a while but I got sick of shelling out 60$/25g. That's when I started DKR. I've noticed an improvement in my skin, but it's still not perfect. I really only have one active right now (and it's already dying) + hyperpigmentation from old acne. BP is ruining my clothes, wreaking havoc on my face, and taking about an hour out of my day while I sit and let it dry. But I suppose it has helped (at least relative to my face while I was on Benzaclin and Benzmycin). It's been so long since I've been med free that I can't really say how good/bad my acne was on my med free face.

If you're only getting one pimple while you're on BP, that means your acne's not bad, for starters. Second, if your family history is to have mild acne with people that grew out of it, you need to stop taking medication period. It's your choice in the end really, but your skin is pretty treatable WITHOUT medication, from the sound of it. Think about it....how do you know if treating your skin with just water wouldn't help you? By all means, use a cleanser at night, but that's all you need. You've been using products for forever now so you don't even remember what your face was like before acne, right? I think you should give it a shot, you don't have much to lose....but you just need to be patient with it and stick through it. Maybe for you, it won't get worse? I got big bumps on my face when I had the breakout, but the funny thing is, since I've only been using water, the scars have like completely disappeared on my cheeks, and some of these pimples had left DARK scars like as little as 2 weeks ago.

Be aware though that I'm also using ACV and turmeric internally, and I work out about 5 times a week. Give it a shot for sure though, because it really, really sounds like your medication needs your acne (which in turn causes it), and not vice versa. If your family history isn't bad, there's no need to be doping up on large amounts of BP, you're doing more harm than good IMO. Too bad it took me 6 years to figure that out.

Awesome. Excpect your skin to be exactly how it was when you used BP for 2-3 weeks atleast. It'll get worse the 2nd month in, but keep us updated!

It's been about two weeks.

I haven't had any major pimples pop up. However, I have have had lots of small ones that aren't too noticeable. Maybe this is just my skin reacting to the drastic change.

It's so nice not having to worry about applying medication. Because I'm not doing it, I don't think as much about my appearance.