Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
csr100

cheilitis driving me mad (dry corners of lips)

The dry corners of my lips are driving me nuts. They are really painful and almost always bleeding and cracked up the sides. After reading the isotretinoin leaflet it seems it is not just the effect of dry lips but of a fungal infection called cheilitis specific to isotrtonoin and accutane users.

Has anyone managed to get rid of this. I have been trying to drink lots of water, up my iron intake and am using daktarin anti fungal cream but still no success. Has anyone had experience with this or any advice.

Cheers. ;)

Yeah its annoying.

The best thing i found for the cracking of the side of the lips is E45 moisturiser. Rub this into the side of the lips and in about 48 hours they will be perfect. Its great because when you rub in this mouisuriser, it means there not dry without looking oily.

I could actually open my mouth without it hurting or cracking

Hope this helps

Ask the dermatologist for a sample of Aquaphor (which does the trick) or just purchase the full bottle.

Havn't tried aquaphor as it isn't a UK thing, but i have lathered the skin with e45, daktarin and even doublebase which is a seriously powerful moisturiser. Thing is, my lips are not dry at all, and are easily manageable with lipbalm, carmex etc. The ONLY prob is the corners. I have read that the only way to get rid of it is to keep the area really dry as that is the only way to stop the fungal infection growing, so it's a bit of a catch 22 really.

Although to be honest i have been taking some antibiotics i had left over from a while back and they seem to have got it under control since the last time i posted, so fingers crossed. It is a mix of a bacterial and a fungal infection so hopefully the antibiotics with an anti-fungal cream will do the job.

Guest mom with acne

:rolleyes: My doctor prescribed HYDROCORT/KETOCON it worked well. It is 2 different meds, they will have to compound the prescription. I had the cracked corners of my lips during my first box of sotret. The med worked, no cracked corners on second box of sotret. Ask your dermatologist.

Dr. Dan's CortiBalm helps my lips when they are cracked. They tend to heal faster. I've started to alternate during the day between the Dr. Dan's CortiBalm and Aquaphor. I'm on 100mgs a day and my lips really aren't that bad for being on day 51.