Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe1985

Cortisone Injections in the UK

Hey has anyone here had cortisone shots for a cyst in the UK, I don't think I've read about anyone having them here so can you get them? Would it have to be from a derm or could doctor do it? My derm discharged me last month because I was "cured", and now my neck is terrible and Im desperate to do something about it before I go away next month. So any help would be great, cheers

:boohoo:

Yeah I think your going to have to get a derm to do that man, your gp will only really prescribe you medications to combat 'moderate' acne whilst a derm will have more experience dealing with cysts etc. You'll need to visit your gp first though to get a derm referral and they take ages for you to get an appointment in England- however, if you say how depressed and psychologically damaged that you are becoming from acne then they will speed up the meeting.

Yeh I know it takes ages as I had one till a month or so ago! Given my limited time though I am prepared to go to a private derm if that can be done immediately, any idea how much they cost??

Cheers

I got my girlfriend who is a nurse to ask a consultant plastic surgeon at her work here in Australia. He said he had NEVER heard of injecting cortisone :(

Hmm well I went to the doctor and he said it probably wasnt acne but something to do with my hair...I cant remember the name...anyone know what the devil hes on about?

I am also from the UK and I am so annoyed about the process of being able to see a dermatalogist here. It seems in the USA (a vast majority of everyone on this forum) is able to see a derm without a problem and more so they have tons more experience in dealing with procedures like this. Its funny because at the same time everyone in the UK seems to have nice skin, so surely something is up??

Maybe over here you just have to live in Mayfair or Chelsea and be filthy rich to be able to see a provate dermatologist as you please or even get some basic professional advice. The NHS help line has every department except dermatology!

its seems to be same in Australia. No one in Aus knows what/how/do a coritizone shots! i have asked several people, and they are all like, dont do it will make ur cys worst!?!?

ugh easier in usa? are you kidding? it took a week to see my physician, then three months to see a derm and i even called crying my eyes out begging to get in sooner cuz there was scarring and i was severly depressed!!! our medical system is one of the owrst if you ask me. my insurance runs out in less than a year and then i will be forced to either buy my own which will cost a fortune, or pay for all my doc and derm visits and my meds as i go. which two of my meds are fifty bucks a piece and thats not including benzaclin which is sixty. so it's definately not easier here.

but i've heard about these injections as you call them, and they are really just used to calm down an active cyst that's taking more than a month to heal. from what i understand they help to treat keloids. i dont really understand all the technical shit, i just know, they are not a CURE just a way to reduce inflammation due to irritation in an already present cyst.

About your 'hair' problem... did he mean folliculitis? If so, yeah, it's because of your hair, facial hair that is. Similar to acne, produces itchy, irritated pimples, treated somewhat differently. Good if you have it though, cause it clears up fast with the right meds :dance:

Cheers,

:surprised: