Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remag42

Best antibiotic for cystic acne to go with BP?

Don't mess up your internal system for a temporary solution. Acne antibiotics are simply temporary solutions. Read the reviews on acne.org (type in "minocycline review" on google)...it might clear you up, but your acne will come back worse if you keep on taking it. Plus it kills the good bacteria inside of you. If you're trying to solve your acne from the inside out, focus on holistic approaches on top of using BP externally. Antibiotics serve no purpose other than to take your money and make you more dependent on the doctors, to be quite honest.

That is some irresponsibly unqualified advice. If you are experiencing cystic or nodular acne, there are not many good topical options. Topical treatments that people often find succesful, such as clindamycin or benzamycin, don't provide enough antibiotic penetrance to treat deeper acne. In the United States, the mainline treatment is to use members of the tetracycline family (tetracycline, doxycycline and minocycline), but in my experience patients experience minimal improvement, particularly those with inflammatory acne. The sulfa drugs (septra) can be very effective, but there is a higher incidence of allergic reaction to that class. Accutane (not an antibiotic, per se) is a highly effective treatment, but there are side effects (very dry skin, flaking, increased fragility of mucus membranes, etc) and it is much harder to obtain in the United States. In summary, if you have painful nodular or cystic acne, antiobitics or accutane may be the only effective ways to treat the infection and corresponding inflammatory immune response. You should speak with a doctor about your options. Keep in mind, that you should see a significant improvement, particularly a decrease in inflammation if the treatment is effective. If after 4 weeks you do not see a significant change, you may need to prod your dermatologist into trying a different product. Good luck.

Hey Remag,

I've started having really bad cystic acne over the past few weeks and went to the dermatologist for the first time.

He gave me a prescription for doxycycline by Doryx and it has reduced the inflammation of my cysts REALLY well. Huge noticeable difference in just two weeks. I took this with food because if not, it can make you quite ill, but besides that...it worked wonders...I mean I still have pimples and redness from the cysts...but the huge red, painful,swelling part died down.

you could cleanse with a cleanser called Hibiclens.

IMO hibiclens is better than benzoyl peroxide. but you can use both because Hibiclens is non drying and non irritating, and its antibacterial (chlorhexidine gluconate) is unable to be resisted.

it is used in hospitals for surgery prep and has been for many years without any significant cases of resistance.

just a warning though, if you get it in your eyes wash it out thoroughly until you feel no more pinching/irritation. some people also react negatively to the red dye in it. if you havent had any reactions to cleansers/topicals in the past, you should be OK.

it has one of the highest ratings on this website (4.6), and should compliment you well. its available at CVS and walgreen's for $10 for 8 oz.

i cant say enough good things about clindamycin. ive been using it for over four years and even though some people say their skin became immune to it, it still works on mine. when i travel and forget to bring it after about 4-5 days i break out so it definately is still working on my skin. my skin was moderate, but closer to mild than severe. and it also works amazingly with BP. i would really give it a try before i went on any pills. i use clindets, they are these wipes with clindamycin in them and i use a benzoyl peroxide wash before i apply it. i saw results in 2-3 weeks.