Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
focusman

Hello everybody!

So, I finally decided to treat my acne and well, what better place to start than google! Which then led me here so HI!

A little about myself. I am an asian american male that just turned 22. I am pursuing a degree in business accounting and am currently attending CSUS. I have had acne for for maybe about 3-4 years which seem to have started right after high-school. I am what they call an organist? Meaning I dislike medication because I think it evil! So any type of drugs or liquids (including alcohol and bad drugs) were religiously rejected. I work out about 5 times a week, usually 2-3 hours of basketball with an occasional 100 pushups/sit-ups every other day. I shower with hot water and wash my face with dove soap every morning and night. Nothing else on the face. I would say I eat semi health since I do not have a sweet tooth (no candy, cake, soda, etc.). Although I feel that I have always had a super high stress level, it seems its peak this year as i am reaching a critical point in my life. My acne is now worse then its ever been, luckily, its only on my face.

In the past I never felt the need for acne treatment because i just didnt care what i looked like. I guess i was busy focusing on more important things like trying to move my family out the projects. I love my family dearly, and this is why i am here today. My mom thinks acne is the "main" reason why i dont have a girl friend. She said she would rather have me with kid than for me to buy her a house. Therefore, she made me promise to get my face treated. I too feel that i am at the age where I need to step up my game with a more professional level of presentation, so its is a win win.

What I want to know is where do i start. Having read my infro, what would you recommend for me with my preferences. Whats good for me and whats not? I did a lot of searching and found retin A seems to be the end all treatment. Yes? No? What do you think?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day.

If you are interested in Retin-A you will need to see a dermatologist. If the people on this forum had the answers to your skin problems than they would have no reason to be here because most are seeking the same information you are. But here is my two cents.

I am 44 and I have suffered from acne on off since I was a teenager. In my experience, natural remedies do not work. Acne does not develop because of "toxins" in the body or any of that new age nonsense. Stress can cause acne, acne can be caused by hormones but in the end it is really a matter of over productive oil glands leading to clogged pores and meeting with bacteria on your skin and leading to inflammation. Treatments will address one or several of these factors at once. Usually derms address the inflammation and bacteria first. If one's acne is resistant the final treatment will address the oil production through topical or oral Vitamin A.

A lot of people with severe acne waste a lot of time and money buying over the counter products that don't work and feeling hopeless. It is really best to go straight to a derm - the best treatments require a prescription. It is also best to educate yourself before seeing a derm.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I am still doing a lot of research and it seems I fall under the category of "my skin over produces oil with the addition of too much stress". I made a appointment to see a dermatologist in a couple of weeks but before then I would like to gather all the info i can so that i can give the dermatologist the most accurate description of my side-effects. I want to do it right the first time because i dont want to be stuck as a lab rat... I hate pills! SO PLEASE HELP if you know anything that might be beneficial to me.

BTW do you think me not using lotion could be a factor? I shower in the morning and im out, dry face or not.

Question, Do you think it would be OK to try Dans regimen before seeing a dermatologist? I really like the reviews and want to start ASAP. Thanks

Question, Do you think it would be OK to try Dans regimen before seeing a dermatologist? I really like the reviews and want to start ASAP. Thanks

it's a great method that works! my acne is mild so it works very well for me, i know it doesn' work on severe acne.

it's a great method that works! my acne is mild so it works very well for me, i know it doesn' work on severe acne.

You "know it doesnt work for severe acne"??? From what i read, it seems to work for most acne... Maybe we have a different meaning for "severe acne"??? To me server is having it on your back, i just have it on my cheeks.

Well i am pretty much sold because the before and after pictures looks promising.

I just want to know if its a smart move to go with this over what the doctor might recommend. I have a feeling they are going to put me on a pill which is something i will not do.

Thanks for the reply.

You "know it doesnt work for severe acne"??? From what i read, it seems to work for most acne... Maybe we have a different meaning for "severe acne"??? To me server is having it on your back, i just have it on my cheeks.

Well i am pretty much sold because the before and after pictures looks promising.

I just want to know if its a smart move to go with this over what the doctor might recommend. I have a feeling they are going to put me on a pill which is something i will not do.

Thanks for the reply.

I've read many posts on how the regimen didn't work for severe, cystic acne. I've never experienced it because that's not my case...I'm just sharing what I've heard/read on this board.

I guess ill do a little more research just to be sure. I really appreciate the feedback kc01cxt, and i hope everything works out well for you. Thanks and i wish you a good day.

Here are some pictures a semester back. It is worse now but im not really tripping, i mean how can i??? Look at her!!! My niece = my new motivation.

hey bro u seem like a real cool cat.

heres my advice :

Drop the dove soap, shit is harsh chemicals.

get your hands on some benzoyl peroxide and a decent face lotion, basically the acne.org regimen. I personally havent used any of the products so I cant vouch for them...

Depending on how much dough you want to cough up...

For starters as a cleansers I recommend Dr. Bronners soaps. U can get them at most health food type stores. I got the peppermint kind. it smells good, cleans well and leaves ur skin feeling nice.

For benzoyl peroxide i use proactiv lotion. Just bought it by itself out of the proactiv machines they got around the malls these days.

For a moisturizer i got some expensive shit that costs like 20 bucks but its the best moisturizer i ever used and ive prolly used like 20 different kinds. its by La'Roche an its called tolarian fluid. Yeah wierd name but it works great.

So yeah basically im recommending a modified version of the regimen on here.

I dont got much hope for your dermotologist. Most of us have been to one and aside from anti-biotics they will prescribe harsh creams like retin a. I had a bad experience with that so I am biased.

Thanks for the replies. FYI, I am now on the acne.org regimen (or similar, the base is BP) with no noticeable changes. I know it doesn't work over night so ill will update accordingly. Thanks again.