RatherBeSkating

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regret taking accutane?

• No, it was great!
    • Yes, worst decision ever!
    • Didn't really bother me

Am i the only one who had no side effects from Accutane? I have been clear now for 5 years Not Bad But it come back If l know about the side effects i would of been so scared.Maybe being told about the side effects make then happen.I sure paul Mckena would agree

I've had 4 courses of isotretonoin, and waiting to start my 5th. I love the stuff, but just wish it would permanently get rid of them.

About to start my isotretinoin xD 2 days away, woop!

PS. Someone on the 2nd or 3rd page said not to try tane until you've tried at least 100 creams and lotions. Given that you must give it at least 3 months for a clear trial, that is 25 years.

Lets say you get 10 pimples a week, and they take a month to completely clear..

And 10% don't go or stay as scars.

That is 4 a month staying.

48 a year.

+ Your monthly 40 (-4 for the scarring ones)

1236 Pimples will be on your face in twenty years.

Not even accutane can fix that bundle of mess.

I know it is not completely realistic, but come on, neither is trying ONE HUNDRED DIFFERENT LOTIONS.

Take a risk, and get on with life =)

I know it is not completely realistic, but come on, neither is trying ONE HUNDRED DIFFERENT LOTIONS.

Take a risk, and get on with life =)

I completely agree; I think it is enough to try 1-2 treatments from each "group". Eg., BP/SA lotions, hormonal treatment, antibiotics, holistic, should probably all be attempted first. I can't imagine it's necessary to try 100 different types of acne treatments. Really, the ones out there aren't all that unique anyway. You could probably get away with trying less than 10, granted you give them enough of a try.

Exactly =)

I have probably tried 2-3 oral supplements, ive tried the regimen, i've tried 4 different cleansing methods, 2 different moisturizers, etc etc. I dont want to try everything because:

- I will get scars and worsening in the process

- It will be a "maintenance" thing, it won't cure me and let me forget my acne for a while.

So if I was to find something that did work, lets say a topical, I still couldn't chow down on chocolate occasionally and I'd have to constantly be in the "acne" mindset.

I have been off for a year and am slightly breaking out again, but I have been on retin a for a month as well and may be getting an IB from that. I will go on a 2nd course if I need to. My skin cleared up as soon as I started accutane and stayed clear for a year. I have no regrets

If I could turn back time, yes I would not have taken accutane.

I'm 31 now, i took accutane over a year ago, for a 6 month cycle. I seriously believe it messed up some of my internal organs. I blame myself for my situation as well as accutane. I didn't take the necessary precautions and made many mistakes.

I went to my derm, but she said my liver enzymes level was little high so I couldn't get accutane. She said lower it and she will give me accutane. I was furious and impatient, so I decided to get some online. That was mistake number 1. While taking, i noticed i would get bloody stool sometimes, i would just lower the dosage slightly to remedy this, but i kept taking accutane because i was so sick of acne. That was mistake number two. While taking, i would sometimes get pain in my upper right stomach area, but it would go away eventually and didn't last long. Ignoring this was mistake number three.

Now these pains have been occurring more often and frequent. I never had any similar pains before taking accutane. First time had this pain was while taking accutane, around 4th month of cycle. It seems it may be gallstones in my gall bladder, I need to get it checked out. No family history of similar condition. My parents are 60+, healthy.

I know how bad you may want to take accutane and you may never experience side effects like me. I registered to this site in the hope I can prevent someone from making similar mistakes.

Just so you know, I had severe acne as a teen, left me with some major scars on my chest and back. My face never got too bad, but I did get some on my face as well. Was suicidal back when i was a teen, didn't even know about accutane then. Now i think i have internal organ damage and still have some acne, worst decision ever.

Edited by anonymous78

Accutane has cleared me up entirely and it's been three weeks and I'm still clear. When a zit appears, it's gone after a day.

The one thing is that it's left me with bad acid reflux... I get all sorts of digestive problems as a result, as well as inconvenient discomfort etc. etc.

But no, I don't regret taking it if these results continue-- it really did the trick!

It legitimately was the decision I most regret in my life to take it, almost 3 years later and I still have dry skin, lethargy, and weakness in my joints. I was fine with being uncomfortable for a few months but being like this the rest of my life for clear skin is not a good trade. Some people have good experiences on it, I can't condemn it but using it for standard teen acne would not be a good idea in my opinion.

Use it if you've exhausted all other options and have REALLY severe acne. My acne was bad but not severe to the point it warranted Accutane imo, unfortunately I was younger at the time and didn't really know what I was getting myself into. I knew the side effects were bad and handled it, but them being permanent is what I did not count on.

Edited by brian99

i didnt work for me, as it all came back within 9 months

but i'm glad i did it... so i could tick the box that at least i tried, so can happily (or miserably) move onto the next thing to try and cure this horrid affliction

To be honest, people who had success with accutane will say that they don't regret taking it and, as for people who didn't get the result they wanted or people who suffer from permanent side effects will say that they regretted taking it. No right or wrong, just human nature.

Edited by Max-

i didn't get the results i wanted but i defiantly don't regret taking it. thats why i picked the last vote. i never cleared 100% but my acne changed. i no longer got cysts. my acne went from moderate to mild/hormonal. but it was still annoying enough for me to have to return the derm and go on other medicine. but the medicine is working great! accutane wasn't a cure and didn't clear me all the way, but it made my acne manageable. before tane, NOTHING would clear it, but now just a topical and pill do the trick! i won't ever go on it again, but i don't regret it. and i defiantly didn't get the results i was hoping for.

I just gave my first urine sample today for my first pregnancy test, and in one month I get my blood drawn for my second, and once they call it in, I can get my first month.

This is the third dermatologist I've gone to since I was about 16. I've gone through Benzeclin, Differin, prescription sulfur face wash, doxycycline, Proactiv, Murad, and I'm currently on the regiment which isn't performing as well as I'd hoped it would by month 3.

After listing these to my dermatologist, she examined my cheeks (my primary location of my nodular/cystic/insanely painful acne) and said that I was the perfect candidate for a lower dosage of Accutane... specifically Clavaris. She said it was the best bet to stop permanent scarring and clear me up. She said the most common thing would be dryness, chapped lips, and maybe nosebleeds. She told me to keep her informed if I had any stomach-related issues or violent mood swings immediately. She said call at any point during the day. Even the nurse gave me her name and personal line with any questions.

I felt like I was in good hands... like finally a dermatologist actually wanted me to be clear. My last dermatologist was a cranky old man who would cleanse my pores and leave HORRIBLE scars. She said that was the worst possible thing he could have done for my cysts. Thanks, asshole.

I've been reading and reading and reading ALL day on here about good stories, bad stories, and looking at pictures and getting tips for how to deal with side-effects and what not to drink/eat/take while on the medicine.

I'm taking the plunge and hopefully coming out completely acne-free for the rest of my life!!

first off accutane did clear my skin, i finished a month and a half ago and i have no zits. even without the zits i have some scarring,my skin pigment seems to be off, and i just feel like my face is different than before the whole ordeal. one thing i will say though is NEVER and I mean NEVER take prednisone, it make me gain like 10-15 pounds, made my face fat, and made me look pudgy as hell, big regrets with that drug, avoid it. anyway my face broke out, out of nowhere i had litterally 20-30 zits that were huge i had really bad cystic acne. the past 8 months have been the most painful and difficult months of my life. I cant say it was just the accutane causing this because acne itsself can cause anxiety and depression and stuff like that. (backtracking) 6 months prior to the breakout i had no acne, i considered my self very good looking, girls would come to me. I've always been quieter than most people, kept to myself and had a unique personality that i liked about myself, I still had a good group of friends and knew a good amount of people despite being somewhat quiet..... then my football career ended in november after that was just a downhill spiral of crap. a month later the acne came. january 29th i believe i started the accutane. so during feburary I was living with severe cystic acne on my face and accutane and prednisone in my system. I felt like the biggest piece of sh*t. I didn't want to go to school, i didnt want to be seen in public, i had a horrible time communicating with people. yet every month i would answer 'no' to my doctor to being depressed on the drug. as time when by i would leave school everyday for lunch just because i didnt want to be seen in the lunchroom. my 2 closest friends pretty much became my only friends. i didnt want to go to parties or go out i just wanted to hang out with one or two people or by myself. i had a really hard time seeing positives in life. now adding to my already somewhat shy self i became probably one of the shyest kids in the school and i feel like ive lost myself as a person, i dont even know who i am anymore and i mean that seriously. i feel like ive lost alot of my personality. to try and put your self in my shoes i basically would sit in class hoping no one would talk to me or look at me because my face was destroyed and then at lunch i would go to my car with one of my two close friends and leave. so now every time i go in public i face a ton of anxiety and it takes a toll on you. i can say though that things have gotten a little better and i hope they continue you too i just want to be the person i once was. im not the type of person that likes to say stuff like this or vent my mind about shi* like this but this is by far the farthest ive gone into detail about this. like i said i dont know if it was the accutane or just the acne but i was on accutane for 6 months during this living hell. other than messing with my mind i dont play sports anymore so im not sure if my bodies got weaker but i did lift weights while on accutane.