RatherBeSkating

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regret taking accutane?

• No, it was great!
    • Yes, worst decision ever!
    • Didn't really bother me

Even some cases of severe acne can be cured by doing something as minimal as cutting farmed dairy products from the diet and switching to organic only.

That whole natural approach to acne is wrong. It can work but are you really going to potentially just eat bananas, salad, black beans, water, etc. Until you reach 45 years of age?

Let's get real.

Isotretinoin is naturally occurring and is part of vitamin A. It's just the isolated part of vitamin A that shrinks oil glands.

Isotretinoin isn't stored in the liver like vitamin A. This is why the safety profile of Accutane is better than mega doses of actual vitamin A. It's also the safest all all oral retinoids!

Accuatne is used not just for acne but for lung cancer treatment as well among other treatments.

Many side effects can be minimized is doctors would simply limit the dose to 10mg per day for moderate acne causing permanent scarring. Then, 20mg per day for Acne Conglobata. Sometime Acne Conglobata needs the highest strength of 2.g per 1 kg of body weight. But, 3 months is usually the most thats needed then 20mg per day to maintain the results.

Recent low dose studies are indicating that 10mg once a week for moderate acne, and 20mg once per week for more severe acne can maintain the results with next to no side effects.

Many problems arise when people don't take some precautions on Accutane like taking these five affordable supplements:

1. Natrol Take One Iron-free Multivitamin (w/iron only for mentruating women) . Take 1 tablet with 1st meal.

2. NOW Foods Quercetin 500mg. Take 2 Vcaps per day. (1 with 1st & last meals)

3. NOW Foods Magnesium Malate 150mg. Take 2 tablets per day. (1 with 1st & last meals)

4. NOW Foods Vitamin D3 1,000 IU & K2 45mcg. Take 1 Vcap per day.

5. Swansons Flaxseed oil with Lignans. Take 4 softgels per day. (2 with 1st & last meals)

I took many many vitamins and really looked after myself.

Maybe that is why i dont suffer as much as some :)

maybe it should be made aware! I was also told to take 40mg a day, but took 20, and only did 2/3rds of course... and I am clear.

I had moderate acne, but at one point i had 25 papules on my face :(

x

I don't know if vitamins has anything to do with it, maybe it did. I was very healthy and took certian vitiams too and looked after myself. It still affected me in a negative way. I have things that don't run in my family hx.

I think doctors give too high of doses and sometimes keep patients on it too long and downplay the med, or give it to people who really don't need it.

Which makes me wonder does everyone really need to hit a cumaltive dose? I always wondered why they had me on such a high dose and well I won't go into thier answer.

Iam assuming u didn't hit what they call a cumlative dose and ur still clear. Goes to show that w/accutane u really don't need such a high dose or have to be on it that long to stay clear.

(I am sure there might be some exceptions)

Yeah :) i still get "some" spots, just not as bad as before!! But i do look after myself, i never used to...

I used to go chat to my derm and I think I used to shock him how much i knew, he normalyl couldn't tell me, n i wud go back n say summet to him the next time.

I made a conscious decision to only take 20mg instead of 40, but didnt tell him... then he wanted to up me to 80, but still only took 20, i did that for 3 months... then i started to lapse in concentration, after that and with exams coming up, i decided to make a conscious decision to come off it, but it did clear me up... i did get some joint pain but drinking lots of water alleviated it.

im not really for or against it, it did its job... i can see why it fucks people up and why they are so angry, but i can also see the plus sides :)

what did they say when u said about culmilative dose?

xxx

I believe for acne congblata or serious scarring painful cysts, I don't know if I would of still ingested it even if my docs were honest. I am not for accutane, but I will say if people are going to take it, they should do low dose at least then if you are feeling sides hopefully they are more then likely to go away.

I got worse acne from accutane then previously with the three cysts I had before accutane.

archangel-I know how u feel, I had the most thickest prettiest hair till accutane, I miss it very much.

"It's imperative to understand that stopping Accutane doesn't necessarily mean that the user is in the clear. There are hundreds of reports by people who claim that some of their side effects, particularly the worst kinds, didn't emerge until years after they have stopped Accutane.

This drug is proving to have a chronic latent effect on peoples bodies, which is also how it permanently cures their acne. My impression is that there are thousands of people out there with really bizarre and unusual chronic health problems as a result of their exposure to Accutane, but they just haven't investigated and made the connection yet."

I will be happy to take another poll in a year or two, It seems many of the advocates for Accutane have recently finished their course or are in the middle of their course.

People need to read over the FDA warning label to just look at the potential side effects of accutane...It's literally unbelievable how much we trust doctors without using our own critical thinking and risk-assessment skills. Educate yourself, read that shit, then make your own decision. But for the love of God, at least know the potential, lifelong side effects you risk by taking accutane. You owe yourself that much!

my man, well said

If I was to vote on this thread a couple of years back I would have voted for Accutane but now after 3 years of tane its truth is coming out.

I am 26 now and have been fighting with acne for about 10 years. Had long spells of antibiotics ranging from doxy to mino and 2 courses of Accutane. Today the fact is I not just have acne, but accutane induced hair loss, Crohn's disease and many more....

Throughout my life I have learnt lessons after committing mistakes, but this mistake was a bit too expensive. No dermotologist would agree to this fact, but accutane does have a certain link with IBD.

In my whole family and distant relatives no one have any symptoms of IBD, but me at 26 have. It f***** sucks when I can no longer eat my favourite food, when I can no longer do what i want to and above all I can't have peace of mind.

If I was to live all those years again I would never choose tane and would prefer to live with acne. I know acne effects your self-confidence but what tane could come with is much worse. You never know if you could be one of those unlucky ones.

I am now probably living with this life long disease and don't know how long my life is but I would suggest you all from the bottom of my heart, please weigh all these high risks very seriously before taking accutane. And avoid these high doses. I was only on 20-30 mg/day but still stuck in hell.

Today acne doesn't bother me coz I have many other severe problems to worry about.

God bless you all and take care of yourself.

Accutane was great while I was on it. I just wish my Dr. would have been more upfront with the fact that the acne would come back once I went off of it. My Dr. said that Accutane is supposed to kill the cells that cause cystic acne and they shouldn't come back. That was not the case. Once I went off of it, my acne came back. And my Dr. also said that he didn't want to put me on it continuously because of the health problems it can cause. So, temporarily, it was great.

archangel-I know how u feel, I had the most thickest prettiest hair till accutane, I miss it very much.

Yep

Also depression of having problem hair is worst then having acne.

Accutane was great while I was on it. I just wish my Dr. would have been more upfront with the fact that the acne would come back once I went off of it. My Dr. said that Accutane is supposed to kill the cells that cause cystic acne and they shouldn't come back. That was not the case. Once I went off of it, my acne came back. And my Dr. also said that he didn't want to put me on it continuously because of the health problems it can cause. So, temporarily, it was great.

With up to 20mg per day long term doesn't normally cause any side effects except chapped lips. It's called chapstick. Big deal.

With up to 20mg per day long term doesn't normally cause any side effects except chapped lips. It's called chapstick. Big deal.

Come back in a couple of years after your 20mg a day course and then we'll see.

Come back in a couple of years after your 20mg a day course and then we'll see.

Sheefa is right, Low dose long term can cause bone problems down the line, In fact I just posted the Roche online document and a thread link from here on it in a recent post. I wouldn't be so niave to think low dose long term has no sides or problems.

rash decision for me and the initial breakout really caused problems which I dont think would have happened if I had never taken it.

On top of that I have lasting sideeffects - dry scalp, sensitive skin, fucked eyes, cracking peeling lips. but those dont come close to the problems the drugs left on my face to remind me of the severe fucking breakout.

I took accutane about 3 1/2 years ago. Best decision for me. I understand that might not be for everybody.

BUMP - CAN ALL USERS WHO HAVE POSTED IN POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE PINNED THREADS VOTE HERE.

NOTE: 22% of people regret taking accutane. Many people will say these are people where the acne has come back or they have had negative experiences - but this is not the case. I'm sure many people have left these boards who have had both positive and negative experiences. I for one get mad about all the pro-accutane posts and feel like I'm being driven away as a minority but I refuse to go as I truly believe people need to hear these stories again and again, not just a glance over. I am sure many people in my situation would of left the message board by now and will be posting on the survivor, victim and action forums. But I'm still here along with the likes of Navpro, Lamarr, Molly, Oli Girl, Pity26 etc etc.

That's 1 in 5 people then that WILL have serious side effects and REGRET their decision. Not great odds is it.

Like the positive & negative threads .... this poll should not be considered scientific or statistical evidence of anything, one way or another. It is not a controlled study in any way.

NOTE: 22% of people regret taking accutane.

Most people taking Accutane don't know that very simple things like lip balm (buy SPF 15 Lip Balm at Trader Joe's for $3 for a 3-pack) 24/7 including before bed & upon waking. Plus, simply putting "Fragrance-Free" Curel with Time Release (buy at Wal-Mart for $6 for 20oz.) on arms and hands after the shower. Avoids the rashes! This Curel can even be used on the face.

If you have scalp issues use: Head and Shoulder "Intensive" shampoo with selenium for five minutes a night. Plus, Pantene "Ice Shine" Conditioner afterwards.

Bottom line: 3 very cheap and effective items everyone should use on or off of Accutane.

BUMP - CAN ALL USERS WHO HAVE POSTED IN POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE PINNED THREADS VOTE HERE.

NOTE: 22% of people regret taking accutane. Many people will say these are people where the acne has come back or they have had negative experiences - but this is not the case. I'm sure many people have left these boards who have had both positive and negative experiences. I for one get mad about all the pro-accutane posts and feel like I'm being driven away as a minority but I refuse to go as I truly believe people need to hear these stories again and again, not just a glance over. I am sure many people in my situation would of left the message board by now and will be posting on the survivor, victim and action forums. But I'm still here along with the likes of Navpro, Lamarr, Molly, Oli Girl, Pity26 etc etc.

That's 1 in 5 people then that WILL have serious side effects and REGRET their decision. Not great odds is it.

As lionqueen said there is no way to tell the numbers. Even if people did suffer from severe side effects as you state it does not mean that they stayed with them long term. I understand that some people do get side effects that do stay with them long term, but no one right now knows the numbers. An internet survey is in no way accurate and it takes a much larger sample size to draw conclusions.

Took Accutane at 18. 24 now.

Accutane made me depressed ( I actually wanted to die), my joints hurt etc and my eye sight worse.

Only the eye sight was really pernament.

The depression was kind of on off over the years (although I have never taken a single anti depressant) after (5-6 years since i finish the one 4-5 months course) and I think my memory has been somewhat damaged.

But, after reading about bad experiences I live in fear of whats in store for me, and regret taking it (my acne came back after 6 months anyway) as I could effectively be a vegetable by the time im 40.

And as I did notice bad side effects and the 1 in 5 odds displayed on this poll. It doesnt look good for me in the long term.

I would take my current situation, but I doubt ill be that lucky.

NOTE: 22% of people regret taking accutane.

Most people taking Accutane don't know that very simple things like lip balm (buy SPF 15 Lip Balm at Trader Joe's for $3 for a 3-pack) 24/7 including before bed & upon waking. Plus, simply putting "Fragrance-Free" Curel with Time Release (buy at Wal-Mart for $6 for 20oz.) on arms and hands after the shower. Avoids the rashes! This Curel can even be used on the face.

If you have scalp issues use: Head and Shoulder "Intensive" shampoo with selenium for five minutes a night. Plus, Pantene "Ice Shine" Conditioner afterwards.

Bottom line: 3 very cheap and effective items everyone should use on or off of Accutane.

I doubt somehow people would post a regretful experience on the few side effects above. We're talking more serious here like severe hair loss, joint pain, IBS etc.

I doubt somehow people would post a regretful experience on the few side effects above. We're talking more serious here like severe hair loss, joint pain, IBS etc.

Again, you all should be taking the following things even healthy not on Accutane like:

1. Vitamin D3 to raise Vitamin D levels lowered by Accutane causing depression. Plus, Source Naturals Magnesium Malate tablets. (Get Bio-Tech "D3-5" at lifespannutrition.com use coupoin code 2bucksoff at checkout) (Magnesium Malate Tablets at iherb.com use referral code only on first order on shopping cart page: DUJ828)

2. To help fight dry skin: Swanson's Flaxseed oil softgels with Lignans & NOW Black Currant Oil softgels. Three of each daily with first meal. (Get Flaxseed oil softgels with "Lignans" at swansonvitamins.com) (NOW black Currant oil at iherb.com)

3. To fight joint pain: MRM Glucosamine & Chondroitin capsules (iherb.com). Three caps daily with first meal.

4. To fight hair loss & joint pain: Natrol Biosil liquid drops (put 12 drops into empty Vcap daily), NOW empty Vcaps, Natrol Take One "iron-free" Multivitamin. (Biosil liquid, NOW empty Vcaps, & Natrol Take One iron-free Multivitamin are all at iherb.com)

Take all these with breakfast and take accutane only with dinner. Remember to avoid any food just water within 3 hours of laying down to prevent GERD or at least sleep on left side.

Edited by Daniel J

Again, you all should be taking the following things even healthy not on Accutane like:

1. Vitamin D3 to raise Vitamin D levels lowered by Accutane causing depression. Plus, Source Naturals Magnesium Malate tablets. (get Bio-Tech D3 at lifespannutrition.com) (Magnesium Malate Tablets at iherb.com)

2. To help fight dry skin: Swanson's Flaxseed oil softgels with Lignans & NOW Black Currant Oil softgels. (get at swansonvitamins.com)

3. To fight joint pain: MRM Glucosamine & Chondroitin capsules (iherb.com)

4. To fight hair loss & joint pain: Jay Robb Vanilla Whey, Natrol Biosil liquid drops, Natrol Take One Mulitivitamin. (get whey from jayrobb.com / Biosil & Take One at iherb.com)

Sigh, yes all of those will really help or have helped my chronic condition.......not.

Honestly, I can safely say that Accutane is one of those things that is different for everyone. I had an incredible experience with Accutane. I had horrible acne on my back as well as the typical annoying stuff on my face. Within a few weeks the acne on my back was completely gone. That is amazing. The dry lips were something that I could put up with, and to this day I always carry chapstick after getting in that habit while I was taking it. The dryness is a serious side effect, but walking around with painful acne, and having low self-esteem is also pretty serious. It's a harsh drug, and they tell you that when you sign up. You do it when absolutely nothing else is working, and the acne is getting in the way of you living you life. In the end it's your personal decision. How badly do you want to get rid of that acne? What are you willing to do to accomplish that?

I stopped taking Accutane 3 years ago, and I haven't had a single pimple/cyst on my back since then. I have had some acne appear on my face but I apply BenzaClin to my face once a day, and it kills the little guys better than any other topical cream I have ever seen. Again, this medicine dries out your face, but it seems that those are the only kinds of medication that work. No pain, no gain. Also, I have heard that a lot of people smell some horrible odor when they use BenzaClin. I think it is probably the least "smelly" acne medication I have ever seen. I thought ProActive made me want to vomit everyday when I rubbed that stuff on my face. But hey, if it works for you, go for it.

(I also would like to suggest that people begin taking this when the air is less dry, because dry skin is already an issue during the winter. It might help to deal with the worst 2-3 months when the weather isn't drying you out as well.)

I am 2 weeks from completing my five month course. Its done wonders. Though I only had mild acne to begin with it shrunk my pores immediately, my face is far less oily, my laugh lines are invisible now and overall i think having no alcohol and lots of water was a great bonus.

I am happy with my results and will report back two months afte ri am off to see if they stick

I haven't read this whole thread as it's very long but I just wanted to add my positive experience. I did a course about 19 years ago, it worked but I relapsed after the birth of my daughter in 2003. By 2009 it was out of control and I need another course.

I'm 32 years old, female and I'm on day 107.

I'm very happy with my results and I'm not even done with it yet. It has made such a difference to my life. Would I do it again? - YES!!!

People need to remember that the people on Acne.org are the people *with skin problems*.

My first Accutane date is in my sig here - I haven't logged into this site in *years*. I started on Accutane, my acne went away...I had no reason to post here. So I didn't.

The people who had great success with Accutane aren't here. They are somewhere else. I had no acne for two years after taking Accutane and then very mild acne for a few months. My acne is still very mild, but I'll probably go back on Accutane. If my skin remained perfect; I'd never come back here to check the box about how awesome Accutane was.

The fancy phrase for this is 'sample bias'

I feel bad for the few people who had side effects, BUT if it weren't for those scare mongers. I would've gone on 'tane when my derm wanted me to, and I wouldn't have had hardly any scarring.

My only lament is that I listened to the scary stories and not the good one's. Accutane is a miracle drug.