RatherBeSkating

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regret taking accutane?

• No, it was great!
    • Yes, worst decision ever!
    • Didn't really bother me

bluefordmustang: yer dang right im being cavalier about this, thats the only way to be. and i could care less about the poll results as well lol, i have no idea why you pointed that out to me when i can see them for myself, and it has nothing to do with what im talking about anyways.

the people that should go on accutane should be the ones who are greatly affected by their acne. IMO. people should do their research, and realize the risks, but then decide for themselves if its worth it. lots of people regret taking it, but it was their decision to take the dangerous drug in the first place. since ive repeated myself plenty of times im not going to say it anymore.

bluefordmustang: yer dang right im being cavalier about this, thats the only way to be. and i could care less about the poll results as well lol, i have no idea why you pointed that out to me when i can see them for myself, and it has nothing to do with what im talking about anyways.

the people that should go on accutane should be the ones who are greatly affected by their acne. IMO. people should do their research, and realize the risks, but then decide for themselves if its worth it. lots of people regret taking it, but it was their decision to take the dangerous drug in the first place. since ive repeated myself plenty of times im not going to say it anymore.

I posted it because 1 out of 4 people who took accutane said it was their worst decision ever. And since you are a cementhead, and dont care, my replies are not directed to you, but to others who are on the fence about taking it. :wall:

I get what you're saying, I mean, I agree, some people have minor acne but they're constantly being depressed over it and whatnot.

But still, it's important to remember that when you're in the midst of searching for a quick answer to perfect skin, Accutane's risks don't exactly get filtered through your logic, especially when you're in the age group of being a teenager to a young adolescent. And it's also important to remember that the majority of teenagers who have mild to moderate acne don't suffer from very bad depression and "life ruining" thoughts due to acne. I mean, there are more kids who just go through mild acne like "everyone else". It's the minority that have a really hard time dealing with minor acne.

I remember, I begged and begged my parents to let me take Accutane when I was at the worst part of my acne, and at that moment, I did not give a single care whether I might end up with any of the side effects.

But now that time's passed and I achieved good skin w/o it, I realize how sometimes when you're in the midst of desperation, logic doesn't always work for you. True, if I had gone on Accutane, I might have reached perfect skin w/o side effects, but at least I didn't have to roll the dice.

And I think that's what's so important, because once you lower the level of Accutane down to being available to mild to moderate acne patients, anyone who starts getting annoyed by their acne might want to go on Accutane. And sure, they'll probably go through some research, but usually in the end, when you're very eager to overcome acne, you don't really look at things from a distant point of view.

And going by your words, those people shouldn't deserve any sympathy because it was their fault.

But I can't really agree with that, because like I keep on saying, when you're really desperate for clear skin, it's easy to jump the gun and not think things through.

That's why once again, I find myself sticking to my original thought:

If Accutane's directions be followed, we'd already be w/o a lot the misery that's around here.

asiaxiah - i see more of what you are saying now. and i didn't mean the people that decide to take it and have a bad experience don't deserve sympathy. i just think they shouldn't put all the blame on the drug itself and roam the internet warning people about it.

im still going to stick to my original thought as well, although you did make some good points.

Accutane should be given to anyone with persistant, scarring acne. Severe or mild/mod. True mild acne obviously doesnt cause much damage and is usually treated easily. Not being allowed to take tane simply because you do not encounter cysts is ridiculous. I'm glad that the derms make the decisions, not some of the ignorant people on this site.

I tried every medication under the sun. OTC and prescription. Natural, organic, diet related, hormonal. Burned my skin with every single topical out there. Do you really think that if I (or any other mild/mod acne sufferer) hadnt tried everything that the derm would even give me/them tane? Its ONLY given when you have exhausted every possible option. My skin was being ruined by my acne AND the prescription topicals etc, accutane was the only thing that saved my skin. Its perfect now.

To whoever said "If you have mild-mod acne, there is a solution out there for you....you just need to find it"- I'm sorry that youre either ignorant or idealistic... but there was only one cure for me- accutane.

I said it.

And I stand by it.

Great, it worked for you. But your risk did not equal your reward. Had you wound up with liver damage, or all your hair fell out(or even just spot balding) or you had some other debilitating effect of the drug, you would be here saying you regretted it. Having mild acne is certainly better than some of the very serious side effects this drug produces. I dont care how much of an ass you want to be about it, thats the fact Jack.

I was on Accutane in 2003/2004. I don't regret taking it, but I would not take it again if my acne got severe enough. I've been clear for nearly 5 years, but I have very minor acne now... which is why I have come back to the site.

During my time on Accutane, I had severe lower back pain that made it nearly impossible for me to walk. I didn't tell anyone about it though because I didn't want to be taken off of it. I also had to go on a diet because my cholesterol got too high. I still get chapped lips when it gets cold outside, which is something I never got before being on Accutane.

All in all though, it was great because it cleared me up, I just wouldn't want to go back on it.

As BlueFordMustang said '1 in 4/5 people' regret taking it my the results on THIS board alone. So, when people start quoting the 1 in 10,000 figure as the expected frequency of those who experience life-altering side effects, look again at this board designed and dedicated to acne sufferers.

I have just got back from Ibiza. Great time, despite the chronic joint pain that literally dehabilitates me everyday, I had to leavge most clubs early (never done that before) and struggled to get up many a time on the beach. As 25 years old I feel about 90. All this for a guy who was ultra fit and healthy before.

It's just the most stupid and arrogant thing I ever did - I hate accutane.

I said it.

And I stand by it.

Great, it worked for you. But your risk did not equal your reward. Had you wound up with liver damage, or all your hair fell out(or even just spot balding) or you had some other debilitating effect of the drug, you would be here saying you regretted it. Having mild acne is certainly better than some of the very serious side effects this drug produces. I dont care how much of an ass you want to be about it, thats the fact Jack.

I didnt have just mild acne, Jack. If i felt i had to prove anything to you, i would show you just how bad my moderate acne was. I had mild (as in about 7 actives daily) acne in the in between times of major moderate acne flare ups.

I knew the side effects, my derm had been wanting me to go on accutane for 2 yrs prior. I was afraid of it, until i was at my wits end. I was made aware of all the percentages and possiblities, none of my derms other patients had experienced anything like the few stories people talk about here. Everyone I've ever known who went on it were completely fine as well. I'm not afraid of taking chances, especially when its such a small possiblity of experiencing anything major, and the possiblity of being healed is great.

My reward absolutely surpassed my risk. Since I, like so many others, are perfectly fine and my skin is healed. My derm said my chances of complete remission are higher than those with cystic because mine is not as severe. And if say, in 8 years i need to take it again, I will. Also, if my oil etc. does end up coming back, my derm said Spiro will probably work wonders for me now.

But it's pointless to keep discussing this, so take it or leave it. I come here for fun, to encourage and offer any ideas/help i can to people who's situation i used to be in. Not to deal with the bitter people that continually post here.

I said it.

And I stand by it.

I didnt have just mild acne, Jack. If i felt i had to prove anything to you, i would show you just how bad my moderate acne was. I had mild (as in about 7 actives daily) acne in the in between times of major moderate acne flare ups.

I knew the side effects, my derm had been wanting me to go on accutane for 2 yrs prior. I was afraid of it, until i was at my wits end. I was made aware of all the percentages and possiblities, none of my derms other patients had experienced anything like the few stories people talk about here. Everyone I've ever known who went on it were completely fine as well. I'm not afraid of taking chances, especially when its such a small possiblity of experiencing anything major, and the possiblity of being healed is great.

My reward absolutely surpassed my risk. Since I, like so many others, are perfectly fine and my skin is healed. My derm said my chances of complete remission are higher than those with cystic because mine is not as severe. And if say, in 8 years i need to take it again, I will. Also, if my oil etc. does end up coming back, my derm said Spiro will probably work wonders for me now.

But it's pointless to keep discussing this, so take it or leave it. I come here for fun, to encourage and offer any ideas/help i can to people who's situation i used to be in. Not to deal with the bitter people that continually post here.

You still don't get it... you think you are fine now but the effects of accutane linger for a very long time if not forever. Do you SERIOUSLY think it has only improved your skin by genetically altering the activity at your sebacious glands? Do you think it doesn't touch all the other tissues in your body? Ofcourse it has had some detrimental effects, weather you see them yet or not. You can't expect to rid yourself of acne permanenetly without some kind of trade off.

I said it.

And I stand by it.

Yeah its pointless because you are a moron.

You dont gauge your risk/reward odds AFTER you have your result!!

I cant even believe Im wasting my time replying to your dumb ass.

now now no need to start calling people dumbass or morons, you realize your making yourself look bad. (and im sure you wouldn't want that)

to shannon: i totally agree with you, but i wouldn't waste your time arguing with a couple of these people because it seems they may dwell on their past for the rest of their life. yes, you may see them here 25 years from now.

I checkback here ALL the time yes. But so what? I'm not dwelling on anything, i haven't been able to leave the house due to my severe flushing/rosacea in a long time. (you won't even begin to undeerstand what the worst form of rosacea can do to you).

Anyway i am back at uni for my final year of my degree, starting monday. I am actually seeing some amazing improvement in my overall health the last few days. I am being treated as if i have lupus (yes from accutane).

I will always pop back to try and put people off where possible though, it doesn't mean for a second i am dwelling on my bad decision to take accutane. Get over yourself thinking you know me and others here.

Haha, i'm sorry but people on messageboards dont quite get to me enough for me to call them names like that. Maybe i just have a higher threshold of anger, i dont know. haha. I mean, honestly, lets be mature, civil people here.

Youre all free to think of me however you want :) Its funny, people here told me "be afraid of tane! you'll get terrible side effects!". I took tane and was completely fine. Now they say "be afraid of tane! You WILL get terrible side effects later on!". good lord. All my major organs are functioning properly people. All the minor ones as well, i'm sure. :rolleyes:

To crackrocker, you're probably completely right, sadly. And I'm not arguing anymore, what i said up there was more of a statement, not directed at anyone particularly. I probably wont even come to the tane board anymore, these people always ruin it. This kind of stuff really is a waste of my time, now that I've actually gotten a life. I hope the certain other people do as well...

Shannon. You need to appreciate both sides of the story. I'll summarise it as SIMPLY as possible for those who find it difficult to understand.

You may of been fine whilst on Accutane. I was. You 'may' not be fine after your course 6-12 months down the line when side effects creep in then like so many others have experienced. I sadly hit the latter category and if I knew I would of quit tane immediately. Simple as.

Nobody IS saying you WILL get side effects during or after your course. But just don't lay on your backside, you are NOT out of the woods yet. In fact, I would say you can only judge accutane success 5-10 years down the line if you still feel healthy and are not crippled by other side effects.

Shannon. You need to appreciate both sides of the story. I'll summarise it as SIMPLY as possible for those who find it difficult to understand.

You may of been fine whilst on Accutane. I was. You 'may' not be fine after your course 6-12 months down the line when side effects creep in then like so many others have experienced. I sadly hit the latter category and if I knew I would of quit tane immediately. Simple as.

Nobody IS saying you WILL get side effects during or after your course. But just don't lay on your backside, you are NOT out of the woods yet. In fact, I would say you can only judge accutane success 5-10 years down the line if you still feel healthy and are not crippled by other side effects.

Sheefa, your side effects that you say are from Tane are most likely from you taking online Tane, not through a doctor. Online pharma stores are not regulated and you never know what you are putting into your body.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Buying-Ac...35#entry2413535

Sheefa, your side effects that you say are from Tane are most likely from you taking online Tane, not through a doctor. Online pharma stores are not regulated and you never know what you are putting into your body.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Buying-Ac...35#entry2413535

Susan, I have no doubt that is a possibility, but I experienced the same success and no other side effects whilst on it so I also find it hard to believe if you see what I mean.

Cheers.

I'm currently starting my 4th month so I will let you know after I'm done...So far it hasn't been a regret

Good luck Mike. Just monitor the effects very carefully. What effects have you been experiencing?

I'm currently starting my 4th month so I will let you know after I'm done...So far it hasn't been a regret

Almost half way through second month here, and today I'm getting my hair cut, then off to the city centre shopping, and I can't wait for all those people to see my lovely new skin :)

Not checked this thread in a while, seems to have got quite aggressive haha, angry people make me smile ^_^

I get what you're saying, I mean, I agree, some people have minor acne but they're constantly being depressed over it and whatnot.

But still, it's important to remember that when you're in the midst of searching for a quick answer to perfect skin, Accutane's risks don't exactly get filtered through your logic, especially when you're in the age group of being a teenager to a young adolescent. And it's also important to remember that the majority of teenagers who have mild to moderate acne don't suffer from very bad depression and "life ruining" thoughts due to acne. I mean, there are more kids who just go through mild acne like "everyone else". It's the minority that have a really hard time dealing with minor acne.

I remember, I begged and begged my parents to let me take Accutane when I was at the worst part of my acne, and at that moment, I did not give a single care whether I might end up with any of the side effects.

But now that time's passed and I achieved good skin w/o it, I realize how sometimes when you're in the midst of desperation, logic doesn't always work for you. True, if I had gone on Accutane, I might have reached perfect skin w/o side effects, but at least I didn't have to roll the dice.

And I think that's what's so important, because once you lower the level of Accutane down to being available to mild to moderate acne patients, anyone who starts getting annoyed by their acne might want to go on Accutane. And sure, they'll probably go through some research, but usually in the end, when you're very eager to overcome acne, you don't really look at things from a distant point of view.

And going by your words, those people shouldn't deserve any sympathy because it was their fault.

But I can't really agree with that, because like I keep on saying, when you're really desperate for clear skin, it's easy to jump the gun and not think things through.

That's why once again, I find myself sticking to my original thought:

If Accutane's directions be followed, we'd already be w/o a lot the misery that's around here.

You make some very agreeable and valid points, but I just have to say that moderate acne, at least in my experience, has totally ruined my life up until this point. Now I'm getting it back, and am really happy. To be honest, I thought I would probably grow out of it, but after reading plees for help from people in the mid to late 20's who have acne similar to mine, I decided to just end it before it totally screws my future and my career up.

I agree though, that mild acne shouldn't be given tane, as long as it is actually mild. I have a few friends with mild acne, and it's unnoticable until you look really hard. Some of my closest friends have slightly mild acne,and it's a massive shock when I occasionally notice it.

I don't regret taking it, as I have no lasting side effects aside from a dastardly patch of eczema that is refusing to go away completely. My acne is gone, and I've got a grand total of 1 pimple in the 3 and a half months since I finished.

However, if, 5 years from now, I needed to take it again, I wouldn't. I have no regrets of taking it, but I also have no intention to willingly go through the short-term side effects again. I had some bad ones.

All early days for a lot of people.

This poll should of been altered to say those who HAVE taken it, not currently on it, and those who took it 1 year + ago.