RatherBeSkating

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?

Accutane - Do you regret taking it?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regret taking accutane?

• No, it was great!
    • Yes, worst decision ever!
    • Didn't really bother me

i was on accutane and didnt experience that bad of side effects. Saying that i still wouldnt take it over again. Before tane i never got any scars now i still got like 2-3 small scars remaining from tane plus some wrinkles that are fading now from my skin being overdried and flaky. My skin texture was also shittier but now that the oil has come back it will hopefully go back to how it was before. And anybody who says tane doesnt decrease muscle or lower sex drive is on crack hard because it definately rapes your androgen levels.

Dry skin isnt physically attractive at all imo if u look at the people who never get acne their skin usually ages fast as hell and looks dull. Id rather have a couple zits than shitloads of forehead wrinkles and crows feet like most people have.

I just took my 4th pill of Sotret(20mg) today. I really hope that it gets rid of my acne. I have red acne on my back, arms, face, chest, hips, etc.... I hate it, and felt acne was taking over my mind. Whenever I would be talking to a girl, I wwould think about my acne. IT SUCKED! INEED THIS TO WORK....

yea most people who post on here have a negative thing to say about accutane. i think if u can realize that people mostly just post on here because they need help with something and know it might not happen to u, u should be ok. also sometimes people exaggerate or it might not even be accutane related. after the first few months, the only problems ive had were dry lips. :D

I agree most people on here still have acne or are on Accutane, I doubt most really sucessful past Accutane users would still be on here. No acne= no need for acne.org! On to the next phase in life!

(Although I do love acne.org!)

Accutane saved my life. I had such bad acne there were days I couldnt leave the house. I was suicidal. I went to a local dermatologist and he saw how despondent I was and he gave me the accutane for FREE, as I could not afford them. Theres no doubt in my mind, had this not happened, I would not be here....the reason im on this site is I was looking for new products for my GF.

Accutane was the best decision I ever made in my life. i am so happy with my skin, and i dont have to think about it anymore. It so awesome.

I just came back here after being gone for a while. I'm 100% clear but i did kinda miss this place. I'll probably always come here, on and off, just because. My skin really has nothing to do with it anymore

It seems to me that possible side effects are worth the trade in, at least after this I'll have my social life back. I gotta admit, the side effects people describe seem blown WAY out of proportion.

I gotta admit, the side effects people describe seem blown WAY out of proportion.

I gotta admit, you are very mistaken. heres ONE of my side effects let me try and draw a picture. Rosacea SEVERE, OCULAR ROSACEA AND SEVERE FLUSHING. Basically i have intense flushing at any form of heat, dozens of different foods, alcohol, most forms of activity and change in temperature etc etc.

If you don't understand what severe rosacea is like, it looks like i have third degree burns when i am flushed, plus the pain you get along with that. You are meant to avoid flushing as much as possible, so you can imahine when anything sets you off it is impossible, so the disease just progresses.

The we have the ocular rosacea, which is almost as bad. My eyes without lacri lube and a topical anti inflammatory twice per day, get so dry that the lids scare along the surface of my eyesballs and all i can do is lay in bed with my eyes closed if i dont treate them.

You really can't imagine what these things are like, i promise you acne is NOTHING compared to even one of my side effects.

The thing is alot of us here are young, you haven't experienced real hardship in life in terms of physical health problems, tane can induce many age related dissorders.

Don't under estimate the sides.

People with mild to moderate acne SHOULD NOT take Accutane! It should be for severe acne and as a last resort.

I didnt give a fuck if the side effects were cancer and AIDS, I wanted to experience, atleast for a short period of in my life, time without this dreaded disease.

It saved my life.

People with persistant mild-mod acne SHOULD take it, also as a last resort. Because their acne isnt severe-cystic, doesnt mean its not as bad. It can leave scarring as well. other treatments dont work, only work for a short time, or I believe topicals can actually damage your skin after years of use (especially if you have sensitive skin to begin with, like i do).

Accutane should be a last resort, whatever your case. But it will save your skin.

And Lamarr, seriously do you insist on scaring every single person? ;) I know you've had a bad experience, i know you blame accutane, but i think everyone understands what you think and feel by now...

Ratherbeskating, they are blown out of proportion. All side effects are. My mother has multiple sclerosis and is on a ton of medications, you should see all those side effects.... good lord, you'd be sure her arm would have fallen off by now or something.

Youre monitored closely while on tane, for the majority of tane users (yes, OUTSIDE of this board even) tane was perfectly fine.

People with persistant mild-mod acne SHOULD take it, also as a last resort. Because their acne isnt severe-cystic, doesnt mean its not as bad. It can leave scarring as well. other treatments dont work, only work for a short time, or I believe topicals can actually damage your skin after years of use (especially if you have sensitive skin to begin with, like i do).

Accutane should be a last resort, whatever your case. But it will save your skin.

And Lamarr, seriously do you insist on scaring every single person? ;) I know you've had a bad experience, i know you blame accutane, but i think everyone understands what you think and feel by now...

Ratherbeskating, they are blown out of proportion. All side effects are. My mother has multiple sclerosis and is on a ton of medications, you should see all those side effects.... good lord, you'd be sure her arm would have fallen off by now or something.

Youre monitored closely while on tane, for the majority of tane users (yes, OUTSIDE of this board even) tane was perfectly fine.

I agree with everything you just said ^_^

Lamarr, I feel for you that you had a bad time on tane, but really, the majority of people won't have any serious side effects, and the majority of those that do probably won't get it as bad as you.

Sorry it was like that for you, it's really helped me so far.

And people who say it should be used for sever acne only - why? You of all people should understand how acne makes you feel, and how crap pretty much EVERY topical is, tane is pretty much the best thing out there.

I totally disagree. If you have mild-mod acne, there is a solution out there for you....you just need to find it. Accutane didnt make me clear, it only got me out of the severe category. Allowing me to leave the house without a bag over my head.

Because there are serious side effects to this drug, it should ONLY be used as a last resort for severe acne. You dont want or need to kill the ant hill with an atom bomb.

If you have not tried atleast 100 different types of medication, lotions, antibiotics etc...then you have not tried hard enough.

Taking accutane is not just popping a few pills every day, you need to have your blood monitored weekly (IIRC) and it is not cheap. You also have side effects when you are on this medication, dry eyes and lips are two. Since I was wearing contacts, it made my eyes dry out even faster, and I constantly had to use eye drops just to keep them in.

There are also studies that say it makes some people depressed....enough for them to commit suicide, are you ok with that as a side effect??

These all must be considered before you decide to take this route.

I agree with everything you just said ^_^

Lamarr, I feel for you that you had a bad time on tane, but really, the majority of people won't have any serious side effects, and the majority of those that do probably won't get it as bad as you.

Sorry it was like that for you, it's really helped me so far.

And people who say it should be used for sever acne only - why? You of all people should understand how acne makes you feel, and how crap pretty much EVERY topical is, tane is pretty much the best thing out there.

I agree that my case is very rare, perhaps 1 in 10,000 people will end up with similar sides to me. But that doesn't mean there aren't many people who don't have life long- life altering side effects.

I just don't see (now that i have seen both sides of the arguement) why it should be used in anything less than severe acne... Most people with moderate acne can quite easily find a substiantial amount of relief. Chances are tane isn't going to clear you completely, for good anyway. You will of put your body through all of that just to go back to using topicals again...

not everyone on here is afraid to take chances. how are you supposed to get anywhere if you dont take a chance? if something goes wrong you have only yourself to blame. NOT the accutane.

to those wondering whether to take it or not: don't listen to the people that warn you away from it on this site, or any site. and don't listen to the people that promote it either. think about it for a bit and do what YOURSELF tells you to do. realize the risks, but also realize you may not get them and in return have clear skin. either step up and spin the wheel or take a different direction and try something else. dont base your decisions off of people on here going on and on about how bad it is. definitely do your research, but make the decision yourself.

if you decide to take it, and something bad happens, then that sucks and i do feel for you. but move on with life, cuz you dont want to be here 10 years from now warning people away from it. everyone knows the risks, if something bad happens its your own fault that you have to deal with. the only people that have a right are people that are lied to by their derms who tell them its perfectly safe and don't tell them about the side effects. but how many people is that?

most people are already depressed about how their face looks anyway.. im thinking about going on the pill. have had acne for a little over 5 years, its time for it go away.

not everyone on here is afraid to take chances. how are you supposed to get anywhere if you dont take a chance? if something goes wrong you have only yourself to blame. NOT the accutane.

to those wondering whether to take it or not: don't listen to the people that warn you away from it on this site, or any site. and don't listen to the people that promote it either. think about it for a bit and do what YOURSELF tells you to do. realize the risks, but also realize you may not get them and in return have clear skin. either step up and spin the wheel or take a different direction and try something else. dont base your decisions off of people on here going on and on about how bad it is. definitely do your research, but make the decision yourself.

if you decide to take it, and something bad happens, then that sucks and i do feel for you. but move on with life, cuz you dont want to be here 10 years from now warning people away from it. everyone knows the risks, if something bad happens its your own fault that you have to deal with. the only people that have a right are people that are lied to by their derms who tell them its perfectly safe and don't tell them about the side effects. but how many people is that?

Its not about taking chances. Its about risk vs. reward. Mild to mod acne does not meet the risk IMO.

Accutane is a serious drug, with serious side effects, for lets say 10% of users. Its fatal to some, with lessening degrees of medical issues on down to losing your hair.

If you are at wits end, and suicidal (like I was) then the risk is justified. If you want to take the easy road to clear skin and thinking that accutane will be a magic pill, then you are unduly irresponsible to yourself. There is not much else to say....this is my opinion, if you dont agree, thats fine, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

bluefordmustang: did you know about the possible side effects before taking the drug?

The dermatologist sat me down and went over the possible side effects. He was very reluctant to perscribe accutane, and only did it in the severest of cases. He had a large supply of the stuff from the mfg. in his office, and told me he would give me(I was broke at the time) the accutane for free, but I had to pay for all the blood work in the process. Being as suicidal as I was, none of the "possible side effects" meant shit to me, it was life or death, as I could not live in the shame and humiliation any longer.

Thankfully it worked enough to stop the severe breakouts, but I still had oily skin and had to use topicals. And thats all I really wanted. I feel a tremendous amount of sympathy for people who suffer this, I feel like an expert on this subject and even considered going to medical school and becoming a dermatologist. I would go out of my way to help anyone with acne, its something only us that have been through that can understand.

bluefordmustang: did you know about the possible side effects before taking the drug?

The dermatologist sat me down and went over the possible side effects. He was very reluctant to perscribe accutane, and only did it in the severest of cases. He had a large supply of the stuff from the mfg. in his office, and told me he would give me(I was broke at the time) the accutane for free, but I had to pay for all the blood work in the process. Being as suicidal as I was, none of the "possible side effects" meant shit to me, it was life or death, as I could not live in the shame and humiliation any longer.

Thankfully it worked enough to stop the severe breakouts, but I still had oily skin and had to use topicals. And thats all I really wanted. I feel a tremendous amount of sympathy for people who suffer this, I feel like an expert on this subject and even considered going to medical school and becoming a dermatologist. I would go out of my way to help anyone with acne, its something only us that have been through that can understand.

so you knew about all the side effects before taking it, and you made the decision to try it out on your own. am i correct? and in the end it got rid of your severe acne, and you stopped being suicidal, right?

so what i dont get, is why you would come here and constantly tell people they should only take it for severe acne only. why not take it for mild or moderate acne if it is affecting you? it's totally up to the person, people are affected by different things in different ways. like i said before, it IS about taking a chance, taking a step into your bathtub is taking a chance too. if your scared about the side effects, dont take it plain and simple. whatever the decision is make it your own so you can't blame other people or things.

so you knew about all the side effects before taking it, and you made the decision to try it out on your own. am i correct? and in the end it got rid of your severe acne, and you stopped being suicidal, right?

so what i dont get, is why you would come here and constantly tell people they should only take it for severe acne only. why not take it for mild or moderate acne if it is affecting you? it's totally up to the person, people are affected by different things in different ways. like i said before, it IS about taking a chance, taking a step into your bathtub is taking a chance too. if your scared about the side effects, dont take it plain and simple. whatever the decision is make it your own so you can't blame other people or things.

The dermatologist was very reluctant, even in my case....does that tell you anything??

If you want chance ruining your life, over something that was not life or death, is that reasonable?

Im not here to tell anyone what to do, just voice my opinions and suggestions. Take my advice, or dont, I dont make any bank on them either way. ;)

The more and more I read these posts, the more I am feeling towards what my friend from high school said: "Accutane works, and it's wonderful."

I am now thinking that Accutane is really awesome, but I still will agree with the people who say that it should be prescribed only for cystic acne. I say that mainly because that's what Accutane says it was made for:

Accutane is indicated for the treatment of severe recalcitrant nodular acne.

Nodules are inflammatory lesions with a diameter of 5 mm or greater. The

nodules may become suppurative or hemorrhagic. “Severe,†by definition,2 means

“many†as opposed to “few or several†nodules. Because of significant adverse

effects associated with its use, Accutane should be reserved for patients with

severe nodular acne who are unresponsive to conventional therapy, including

systemic antibiotics. 149

That's what it says from Roche. And I do think they must have a good reason for limiting its use, because looking at the side effects, despite the chance of getting them being very low, they have a possibility to be so severe. I mean, look at Lamar's case... I mean, sure, 99% chance you won't end up getting the things that he has to deal with, but what if you fall within the 1%?

Statistically speaking, when weighing the degree of severity that Accutane's side effects can cause, I do think it's a smarter decision to reserve it for patients with severe acne. It may be a low percentile, but once you significantly increase the sample size, you start dealing with numbers that get big. I mean, I'm sure everyone who has perfect skin now feel frustrated to see people still struggling with acne when they can just pop the pill and get better, but on the same note, no matter how small the chance, the severity of the side effects are really something to be weighed out carefully.

So in the end, I continue to support my original thought: if we stick to the instructions given by FDA/Roche, we wouldn't be in most of the troubles that we have.

so i guess people who are greatly affected by acne but only have moderate acne should not be allowed to take it ??

to me it doesn't depend on the severity of the acne, it depends on how much it is affecting the persons self esteem and every day life.

so i guess people who are greatly affected by acne but only have moderate acne should not be allowed to take it ??

to me it doesn't depend on the severity of the acne, it depends on how much it is affecting the persons self esteem and every day life.

I agree, if its life or death for the person, its a no brainer...but realize that not every dermatologist will let you on this unless they feel its absolutely necessary. I bet they could get their balls in a sling for perscribing it to someone with mod. acne(not in the medications usage directions, ty AsiaXiah)and that person had serious or fatal reaction.

I think you might be just a little too cavalier about it thats all.

My boyfriend took Accutane like 3 or 2 years ago and is perfectly clear now. He has flawless skin, it's so beautiful, and I am extremely jealous. He only has a few zits on his back now, other than that it's perfect. I figured with his great experience, why the hell not give it a try? Personally I'm not sure what my experience will be, but right now I'm not really leaning either way. My skin hasn't really gotten much better, but who am I to speak since I've only been on the drug for like 50 days.

I agree, if its life or death for the person, its a no brainer...but realize that not every dermatologist will let you on this unless they feel its absolutely necessary. I bet they could get their balls in a sling for perscribing it to someone with mod. acne(not in the medications usage directions, ty AsiaXiah)and that person had serious or fatal reaction.

I think you might be just a little too cavalier about it thats all.

BTW...here are the poll results from this thread:

Do you regret taking accutane?

No, it was great! [ 41 ] [66.13%]

Yes, worst decision ever! [ 14 ] [22.58%]

14 out of 55 people said its their worst decision ever. If you can live with those odds and you can find a dermatologist willing to put you on it, by all means go for it!!! I did and I'm glad, I just dont want others who think its an easy way out get stuck with a bad result unnecessarily. In spite of what you think my agenda might be, if I could wave a magic wand, every single damn one of you would be clear this instant.

From my personal experience taking accutane was the worst decision I have ever made, and I wish that I could invent a time machine and go back to the day the doctor prescribed it to me.

I was prescribed accutane when I was about 14 because I had severe acne. The first time it worked pretty well and I didn’t really have to many side effects other then dryness. Then in about 4 months my acne came back so I went on a second round and this time the side effects became a lot worse. During the course I had severe headaches so I had to stop taking it. About a month later my headaches were gone, so I was thinking this wasn’t so bad right. But then about 3 months later I started to get uncontrollable diarrhea and stomach pains, to make a long story short I was diagnosed with IBS. It was a pretty sudden onset and no one in my family had ever had IBS so my doctor proceeded to conclude that my IBS was caused by me taking accutane. Now I can’t go outside of the house without taking Imodium, I can’t go anywhere where I don’t have access to a Bathroom, I can’t take class in the morning, and I can’t work in the morning, IBS has totally ruined my life, all supposedly caused by accutane. Oh and to top it all off I still have acne.

Now I am not saying that people shouldn’t take accutane I am just telling you my experience.