Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My question: I get extremely nervous in social settings sometimes. Usually its in school when I have to speak before an audience. Im kind of stressed right now, because Monday I will have to present a passage from a book. Reading from a book unsettles me more than anything else.

Any advice?

Im already in a speech organization outside of school, which has helped me alot. But lately, school has felt like playing russian roulette bc I never know when I ll be called on to speak and what emotional state I will be in. Sometimes I just flat panic. Especially if I cant see it coming and am asked to speak. Im thinking maybe I should practice reading out loud, but I dont know if it would help bc the audience is what unsettles me not the reading.

I have paralysing stage fright which was a huge obstacle for me bc i really enjoy giving talks to youth. What I've done to overcome that a bit (you could probably see it sneaking through in that video just a smidge) is i'll pick spot behind that crowd and i'll travel back and forth along the plane of that point. Also if you can turn it form a lecture to dialogue between you and the audience (even if its terribly lopsided in your favor) that always made it easier for me.

Guest missyjean130

At my old school, every time I had a project that required me to speak in the front of the room, I'd just take an F. I was way too scared.

Thats not advice though rofl

My question: I get extremely nervous in social settings sometimes. Usually its in school when I have to speak before an audience. Im kind of stressed right now, because Monday I will have to present a passage from a book. Reading from a book unsettles me more than anything else.

Any advice?

Im already in a speech organization outside of school, which has helped me alot. But lately, school has felt like playing russian roulette bc I never know when I ll be called on to speak and what emotional state I will be in. Sometimes I just flat panic. Especially if I cant see it coming and am asked to speak. Im thinking maybe I should practice reading out loud, but I dont know if it would help bc the audience is what unsettles me not the reading.

I used to be so timid I wouldn't even voice my opinion on message boards, yet alone talk in class. I would feel like I was drowning, my heartbeat would go insane. I could still do it but I would have awkward pauses that felt like an eternity (which I know now a second or two pause is NOTHING, watch how your teachers speak. They pause all the time and you hardly notice it.)

Regardless of the degree of anxiety you can overcome it. Just remember everyone hates it. Also you won't remember the anxiety or the speech or the thought of the speech in a week or maybe even a month, so it's not very important. Lastly you think everyone is focusing on you, but how often are you focused on a classmate giving a speech? I know I'm rarely listening to what they are actually saying or if they are messing up, I'm often thinking about my speech or what I'm having for dinner.

Also if you are giving speeches volunteer to go when you are comfortable if I go last I'm terrified, but if I go first or close to first I don't even care. The longer I wait the more I notice things people are doing wrong, and it's frightening to think if I have their tendencies.

I'm currently taking a public speaking course and I've noticed a drastic change in how voluble I am (in and out of school). I also always volunteer to read stuff, ask questions or give a timely opinion. Anxiety of public speaking never truly goes away but the more you practice the more comfortable you will be.

Trust me you won't remember the grade you get for the speech or the classes reaction to your speech or your reading in class. Good luck!

I have really bad social anxiety, but I'm overcoming it. I volunteer at a museum that I've always loved, and I give presentations there, so that helps a lot, even though it was hard at first.

Do something that lets you get a chance to regularly speak about something you love. If it's something you like to talk about and are knowledgeable about, it will be easier to talk about it in public. Also, if you can do something where you're talking to kids, that's a good place to start. Little kids aren't very critical and they're fun to give speeches to.

I'm also currently taking a public speaking course (that's REQUIRED) in college right now. It's a small class, which helps. We had to give introductory speeches wednesday and some girl had a panic attack/seizure before we began. It just goes to show you how much people FEAR speaking in front of others. Even though the fear is irrational and we know it, it's just a natural response.

I used to fear it so much I'd never do it unless required in school. However, lately I've found myself opening up despite my introversion and anxiety. It's really not that hard. Then again, I'd probably be more nervous if say, my skin was worse off like a couple years ago. Because obviously it would be such a distraction to me it would affect my performance.

I didn't really overcome it the conventional way...I basically just tell myself I don't give a shit and just do it. I still get nervous though :) everyone does.

I'm also currently taking a public speaking course (that's REQUIRED) in college right now. It's a small class, which helps. We had to give introductory speeches wednesday and some girl had a panic attack/seizure before we began. It just goes to show you how much people FEAR speaking in front of others. Even though the fear is irrational and we know it, it's just a natural response.

I used to fear it so much I'd never do it unless required in school. However, lately I've found myself opening up despite my introversion and anxiety. It's really not that hard. Then again, I'd probably be more nervous if say, my skin was worse off like a couple years ago. Because obviously it would be such a distraction to me it would affect my performance.

I didn't really overcome it the conventional way...I basically just tell myself I don't give a shit and just do it. I still get nervous though :) everyone does.

They have done surveys and more people fear public speaking than death. Which is sad... It seems terrifying but everyone has the same fear.

I think going over your speech in front of REAL people, ask friends and family to listen, is better than a mirror. But if a mirror is all you have it beats not rehearsing at all.

only way to get over it is doing it, i was the same in the past not liking to stand up in front of people. id have have my chest beating,dry throat and my stomach in knots but as i did it more and more it got easier. i find its best to just think what your gonna say out just before you get up and have a sense of where your gonna go with what your talking about, this helps to stop your mind going blank and doing "the pause" which everyone standing in front of a crowd of people dreads.

if your speaking from a book just be loud and clear, its not that hard.

They have done surveys and more people fear public speaking than death. Which is sad... It seems terrifying but everyone has the same fear.

I think going over your speech in front of REAL people, ask friends and family to listen, is better than a mirror. But if a mirror is all you have it beats not rehearsing at all.

haha yeah I was about to say that most people would rather die than speak in front of others. That's like the first thing we went over in class. :D

I barely prepare my speeches. By that, I mean I write an outline and basically freeball it. I usually do alright for someone who hates doing it, but I'm just too lazy to rehearse. Then again, I'm not looking to become the next hitler; I'm just looking to pass the course.

Envision your audience as kittens. All of them, kittens of various shapes and sizes. Once you've accomplished this, then, and only then, will you overcome the demon that is anxiety.

Kittenssss.

haha yeah I was about to say that most people would rather die than speak in front of others. That's like the first thing we went over in class. :D

I barely prepare my speeches. By that, I mean I write an outline and basically freeball it. I usually do alright for someone who hates doing it, but I'm just too lazy to rehearse. Then again, I'm not looking to become the next hitler; I'm just looking to pass the course.

The worse is reading out loud and pronouncing French / German names, or physiology. Phonetics fails hard with French.... or Tucson, Arizona rolfs.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to inspire fear. If I read out loud and I run into foreign words I'll ask the professor how they pronounce it. Worse comes to worse go phonetically and don't pause and act like you don't know how to say it.

Guest kiwikali♥☼

i'm a performer... violin, piano, and dance... but i have really baddd stage fright. i just imagine no ones there but me. it's simple. and it works :]