Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remag42

Don't risk ruining your life...

Seriously some of you guys come across as children. Realise you don't know what damage you have done until many many years have passed. Dry lips is what you have at this moment.

I know I regret it, even though I have no proof it caused what happened to me it was uneccesary for me to take it. I had stubborn mild acne and I figured this would be it and being aware of the side affects I took it and regret it greatly. Consider it if you are SEVERE acne and really feeling beyond bad about yourself. If you took it like me with mild acne, you and me are idiots, simple as that.

People say "oh every drug has side effects," well duh, but accutane is a much harsher drug. Any drug wear they consider nosebleeds normal is not a good drug. Sure people get lucky and get away clear skin free and are happy about it, don't think you are in the clear yet, wait in the longrun and see what happens. Its not that people with bad experience are the only ones coming back to complain, its that there are ALOT of people with bad experiences. I know if I had clear skin from this I would have came on and posted and bragged about it, but its not what happened.

Just because nothing bad happened to you personally it doesn't make it a good drug. A lot of your are coming on saying its doing good for you nothing bad its a great drug, most of the stuff you get comes in the longrun and im sure you might have your share of problems too. This is why they prescribe it only to SEVERE acne sufferers, people who have no will to even basicly go outside anymore and have tried everything. What you need to basicly decide when taking accutane is if you would rather have bad skin and good health or good skin and bad health, your choice, even though a lot of people get away scott free dont think your special and you will too.

Remag. Don't knock it until you try it. Accutane works great. I have super clear skin and I love it. The only side effect is chapped lips. OH NO!! LMAO

There are several scientific studies to support the long term safety of isotretinoin for the treatment of acne. Perhaps the best study is from Britain which followed patients for a maximum of 12 years post accutane. Over seven hundren people took part in the study so the results are quite representative.

V Goulden, AM Layton, WJ Cunliffe. Long-term safety of isotretinoin as a treatment for acne vulgaris. British Journal of Dermatology 1994(Sept);131(3):360-363

Conclusion from the study: ninety-three per cent of the people taking Accutane reported no long-term side effects. Two percent suffered muscle aches at follow up, and 5 percent suffered from dry mouth. Fewer than one percent claimed that they had dry eyes and skin and joint pains. Higher doses were not associated with more side effects. All side effects were mild.

The authors concluded that their study showed that isotretinoin is a safe drug with no serious long-term side-effects

The second study followed patients for 10 years:

A.M. LAYTON 1 , H. KNAGGS 1 , J. TAYLOR 1 W.J. CUNLIFFE 1

1 Department of Dermatology, United Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, The General Infirmary at Leeds, Leeds LSI 3EX, U.K.

Isotretinoin for acne vulgaris—10 years later; a safe and successful treatment

"We did not elicit any long-term systemic or biochemical side-effects. We conclude that isotretinoin is a safe and effective therapy. It is capable of producing long-term remission in the majority of acne patients, particularly if given in a dose regimen of 1 mg/kg/day, or a cumulative dose of < 120 mg/kg."

Overall, these seem likely highly positive and valid scientific evidence supporting the long term safety of accutane for acne.

Remag. Don't knock it until you try it. Accutane works great. I have super clear skin and I love it. The only side effect is chapped lips. OH NO!! LMAO

There are several scientific studies to support the long term safety of isotretinoin for the treatment of acne. Perhaps the best study is from Britain which followed patients for a maximum of 12 years post accutane. Over seven hundren people took part in the study so the results are quite representative.

V Goulden, AM Layton, WJ Cunliffe. Long-term safety of isotretinoin as a treatment for acne vulgaris. British Journal of Dermatology 1994(Sept);131(3):360-363

Conclusion from the study: ninety-three per cent of the people taking Accutane reported no long-term side effects. Two percent suffered muscle aches at follow up, and 5 percent suffered from dry mouth. Fewer than one percent claimed that they had dry eyes and skin and joint pains. Higher doses were not associated with more side effects. All side effects were mild.

The authors concluded that their study showed that isotretinoin is a safe drug with no serious long-term side-effects

The second study followed patients for 10 years:

A.M. LAYTON 1 , H. KNAGGS 1 , J. TAYLOR 1 W.J. CUNLIFFE 1

1 Department of Dermatology, United Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, The General Infirmary at Leeds, Leeds LSI 3EX, U.K.

Isotretinoin for acne vulgaris—10 years later; a safe and successful treatment

"We did not elicit any long-term systemic or biochemical side-effects. We conclude that isotretinoin is a safe and effective therapy. It is capable of producing long-term remission in the majority of acne patients, particularly if given in a dose regimen of 1 mg/kg/day, or a cumulative dose of < 120 mg/kg."

Overall, these seem likely highly positive and valid scientific evidence supporting the long term safety of accutane for acne.

I just can't say I believe this, there is a reason why they only prescribe it to people with sever acne, theres a reason why the ipledge exists.

It is not safe, if it were they wouldn't be so strict about it.

The main mission of the iPLEDGE program, as stated, is to prevent unwanted pregnancies during and briefly after treatment, since these pregnancies have a 33% chance of ending in some sort of deformities. This is also why the iPLEDGE program is fairly easy to go through for the guys.

This is understandable as we have a drug that is mostly going to be taken by people who are in the very sexually active age bracket, who are more prone to make poor judgments, and who are not as experienced with methods of birth control.

If the drug is very dangerous, then it'd be listed as a Controlled Substance. Morphine, for example, is a Controller Substance Category II, due to its high addiction potential.

WATCH FOR BLACK BOX WARNINGS WHEN TAKING ANY MEDICATION, SUCH AS THE PREGNANCY AND DEPRESSION WARNINGS WITH ACCUTANE. These are the most serious warnings that you should absolutely pay attention to.

Any drug can be dangerous (refer to my aspirin experience). If you buy Accutane off the Internet and medicate yourself then you are a complete idiot. If you are under the guide of a dermatologist who agrees that Accutane can help you, then you shouldn't let the warnings scare you. Do consider, however, the 10% or so chance that you may have some long term side effects. If you are willing to risk that to get rid of your acne, then I say go for it.

And I really don't think the risk of side effects is any larger than the studies indicate. Accutane is no longer a patented drug so no drug company is making big bucks off of it. If the chance of long term damage is any more than those studies indicate, FDA would have discontinued the drug a long time ago.

Want to add a little something for your conspiracists out there. I mentioned that Accutane is no longer a patented drug. Most of the topical medications, however, are. (no generics) This is because drug companies can change the formulation of the delivery vehicle (gel, cream, wash) and re-gain patent. Duac (clindamycin + bp), Retin-A Micro (tretinoin time-released), Brevoxyl (bp creamy wash) are some good examples.

Personally I have moderate acne, but I have had the condition for 10+ years and have been slathering myself with 3-4 differnet types of creams/gels/washes everyday for that duration. I am quite literally sick of it and will take the chance to go on Accutane. My dermatologist did not even hesitate to prescribe it for me.

Now the conspiracy would be, that I wouldn't be surprised if the drug makers of those topical medications would go out there to spread fear about Accutane. They are making big bucks. I was spending ~$100 a month WITH INSURANCE for my acne medications. And have been doing that for 10 years! My dermatologist wasn't complaining because he gets a regular customer who keeps on going back just to get scripts, and I'm fairly sure he gets kickbacks from drug companies. I always see pharmaceutical reps in my dermatologist's office!

This is not to discount anyone on this forum who's had bad experience with Accutane. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I'd just like to share some of my thoughts.

People will lie to themselves to make themselves feel better about being on accutane which is what most people here are doing, I did it and I regret it, simple as that. Most people don't get anything bad from it but saying DON"T LISTEN TO THIS GUY! is just stupid, just be carefull when your on it.

Just take all the right steps before going to accutane, meaning try everything you can and if nothing then go for it. I didn't try everything and I figured oh well all the other stuff won't work for me I think I will just skip to accutane, thats dumb don't do that. Even if its a small chance of bad stuff happening, your really no more special then anyone else and it can happen to you.

Acne - nobody understands the emotional and physical trauma of what you're going through if they do not have acne themselves and tell you 'it's not so bad' all the time.

Accutane - nobody can even comprehend, appreciate and sympathise with the absolutely horrid side effects of accutane treatment, during and post, unless they've experienced these. The trouble is, many of the users on this board are below the age of 50 so they won't have any idea of what severe arthritis joint pain feels like, or Lamarrs extremem facial flushing, or Max' major hairloss, or Mum of Accutane's daughters Diabetes. Just look at some of these side effects! It's a fu*king joke that this is STILL on the market.

Accutane could be the worst decision you ever make in your life. It's like if your hanging out with friends and someone tried to get you to do heroin. Think about it. Think about the risks, versus just living with acne. You need to have really, really bad acne to even consider taking Accutane. There is no safe magic pill, without screwing up your whole life. The fact that Accutane can be a "cure" is a dead giveaway that there are going to be severe consequences. Anything too good to be true usually is. Before you think that your life might get better if you had clear skin, think about the permanent side effects first. Would you risk having those instead of acne? They could be a thousand times worse than acne. I held the ipledge book in my hands, dreaming of having clear skin, but I realized that this drug can destroy the human body physically and mentally. You think your acne is making you fall apart? Try Accutane and see what happens then. Snap into reality people! I read that book and I threw it across the room and said NO, I'm better than this. I have a life, and I wouldn't throw it away because I struggle to deal with my acne. I urge everybody to realize that you are gambling with everything good left in your life. Acne can take away some things, but Accutane just might take away EVERYTHING you love about life. Don't gamble with drugs...STAY AWAY FROM ACCUTANE. Life is hard, and sometimes there is no magic pill, and you just have to be tough and deal with it. Sorry, but you have to accept reality for what it is, or face the consequences. :cry:

Have to stop you there, I took the gamble of using Roaccutane and to this day I say it's the best thing since sliced bread. According to my GP I'm a very healthy individual apart from the college lifestyle, and fortunately I only had one side effect (severely dry lips) but the results were life changing, skip ahead a few years and here I am now enjoying life as much as I can.

Comparing Roaccutane to heroin is extreme, yes there are people who have suffered because they too took the gamble and it's tragic, but unfortunately that's the gamble, and I was told every risk I could possibly suffer from in advance. Clear skin is the light at the end of the tunnel for people and Roaccutane gets you to that light really fast.

I normally stay away from the Accutane message board because I think it's mostly ridiculous, but I'd like to add my two cents here. I found out after I started my course of Accutane that my cousin took the drug when he was around age fifteen. He had very severe acne then--I remember noticing it, and I probably wasn't even ten years old at the time. He played varsity football and wrestled all the way through his high-dose course, and it cleared his skin perfectly. He's now 32, still has clear skin, and never had any lasting side effects. That's seventeen years down the road, folks, and all is well.

If you're worried about taking Accutane, talk to your doctor. If you're on Accutane and have side effects, talk to your doctor. If you were on Accutane and still have side effects, talk to your doctor. If you feel that your doctor isn't listening, find a different doctor. Sure, you can get decent basic advice from message boards, like product recommendations, but don't diagnose yourself or make medical decisions based on these boards.

I normally stay away from the Accutane message board because I think it's mostly ridiculous, but I'd like to add my two cents here. I found out after I started my course of Accutane that my cousin took the drug when he was around age fifteen. He had very severe acne then--I remember noticing it, and I probably wasn't even ten years old at the time. He played varsity football and wrestled all the way through his high-dose course, and it cleared his skin perfectly. He's now 32, still has clear skin, and never had any lasting side effects. That's seventeen years down the road, folks, and all is well.

If you're worried about taking Accutane, talk to your doctor. If you're on Accutane and have side effects, talk to your doctor. If you were on Accutane and still have side effects, talk to your doctor. If you feel that your doctor isn't listening, find a different doctor. Sure, you can get decent basic advice from message boards, like product recommendations, but don't diagnose yourself or make medical decisions based on these boards.

Nothing wrong with that advice!

It just pains me to see people give advice based on their own results, when everyone who takes it will not achieve good results, and some will have horrendous results. Even though, I have myself benefitted from taking this drug, I would not want my hands full of blood encouraging people to go on so damn easily. It must only be for severe cases, anyone who says differently is a fking moron.

I'm all for sticking to "Prescribe Accutane for cystic acne" and being careful not to over use it, but my dermatologists did tell me that a lot of the iPledge / negative media attention over Accutane was actually the cause of a politician (forgot if he was a governor or something) whose son took Accutane and got depressed and committed suicide.

They say that since the son might have been depressed before going on Accutane, just due to acne itself (and being a teenager and whatnot), they don't have true proof that it was due to Accutane that he did that. But I suppose we'll never know for 100% sure.

I would risk running across a six road high way to stop this acne shit. I do not fear anything people say about accutane. It was great it gave me completely clear skin. But I got forever acne and the beautiful wonderful drug that I kneel down at the sight of its bottle can only stop it for sometime and it all comes back why? godam it why?. If it can cause a stroke and death or something else in a very ver very very very very rare case then accutane take me with you. If I have to walk with a cane by 35 years old lets say at least I'm outside.

I would risk running across a six road high way to stop this acne shit. I do not fear anything people say about accutane. It was great it gave me completely clear skin. But I got forever acne and the beautiful wonderful drug that I kneel down at the sight of its bottle can only stop it for sometime and it all comes back why? godam it why?. If it can cause a stroke and death or something else in a very ver very very very very rare case then accutane take me with you. If I have to walk with a cane by 35 years old lets say at least I'm outside.

Taking accutane IS like running out on a six lane highway