Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snood11

Snood's Log

Hello Everyone--

Well, after spending quite a bit of time on this board I figured that I would start my own log to chart my experience with the DKR and to get some feedback along the way! I just turned 26 (ouch) and for the first time in years my face is out of control. I had problems with my skin in high school and then I turned to ProActiv for years. I think I have a much more idealized vision of what my skin was like during that time, but all I know is that it has never been this bad. The last two years it was especially good because I went on Yasmin, which controlled my hormones.

However, this fall I started to experience some skin problem. At first my forehead broke out in these tiny little bumps and then slowly over the winter I would get more and more large pimples....not usually more than a couple at a time, but still it was very discouraging.

Well, fast forward to about a month ago. My boyfriend had just been in town for a week, and out of laziness (and because I didn't necessarily want him to see me without makeup...I know, I know, but it was at the beginning of the relationship), I went for several nights sleeping in my makeup. Several time I wouldn't wash my makeup off until the next day or afternoon.

Anyway, after he left my face completely got out of control. It just kept getting worse and worse. I was at a loss of what to do. Also, it just felt completely raw (I now blame this on the fact that I was probably scrubbing extra hard with the ProActiv face wash). Anyway, I tried to switch some things up, but that probably only made it worse. I really think that cetaphil lotion made me break out worse than ever!

So after my face didn't get better for weeks I have decided that it is time to try something new. A part of me wishes that I would have just stuck to my normal routine for weeks after he left to see if my face would have gotten better, but I guess that I am just using this as an excuse to try something new....I would love to stop shelling out money to the ProActiv corporation. Any thoughts on this decision?

Anyway, I started the full regime about one week ago today. I am using all DKR products, and I have been trying to follow his instructions to a tee. So far I think that I am doing a fairly good job. Since I had been using a decent amount of the ProActiv BP I started with about 1/2 of a pump of BP and for a few days I have been increasing the amount. I am now almost up to a full pump. I am a little concerned that I started to fast (any thoughts?), but the only side effects right now are drying and peeling (also, I am visiting CO - so that extreme dryness doesn't help). At first my face really hurt, but that has subsided a bit. The moisturizer really helps and you can't really see the dryness or peeling after I put it on. I am a bit concerned about the dryness and flakiness clogging my pores - so I just started to use the jojoba exfoliation method. unfortunately, it didn't seem to help. boo.

I guess I started this blog today because I am hitting a frustrated point. My face looks like shit and it just isn't getting better...sometimes it feels worse. I keep thinking, ok so at this point it is just healing...but then I start to feel a new one and within a day it is a huge whitehead. I know that I am not supposed to pop them - but I am doing it the correct way and sometimes I do think they heal faster that way. Anyway, I guess I was hoping for faster results :( I have several zits along my eyebrows and the other problem area is around my mouth. On the right side above my mouth I had a bad outbreak a couple of weeks ago so that area is all red - and recently the left side above my mouth is bad. Also, I had to pop one right below my lip today and lower on my jaw yesterday. The weird thing is that I have been getting zits in places that I normally do not - like by my jaw. I can't remember the last time that a zip popped up there. This is the only thing that makes me doubt this regime - why am I getting zits in places that I never had before!!! Did this happen to anyone else?

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, but I figure this is a good place to do it :) I keep trying to keep up a positive attitude - which is usually aligned with me thinking it is getting better. Just sometimes this is so frustrating. I am a hard worker, so usually when there is a problem I will just work hard enough and it can be confronted. However, with this there is just not enough hard work that will do anything. Sometimes I feel like crying/screaming/laughing at the situation. What an emotional rollercoaster! I can't believe how much less attractive I feel now than I did a month ago.

Oh, and lastly, my doc put me on doxy a little over 2.5 weeks ago - but it has not had any impact at all. He only gave me a 30 day prescription and I am pretty sure that after that I will stop it. I DO NOT want to be on antibiotics in the long term. I wonder whether this could have been making an impact as well. Hmmm.

Well, I will try to keep y'all updated on my progress.

Ugh I know how you feel. After day 3 of Dans reg my face was really clear I think you commented on my pic if memory serves me right. But now I am going thru that week 2 breakout and my skin looks like shit! I have three scabs from zits that were there last night and discovered two on my cheek that are red but still kinda under the skin. I have heard on dans reg it gets worse before it gets better like in your situation. I am sure you will see improvement soon. Ugh mine got worse then really clear then back to the start. AGH! Its so frustrating. Just keep doing dans reg relegiously! I'm sure things will get better soon.

Thanks for the support! It really helps!

Did you guys have problems with drying and flaking at first? If so, how long did it take this to subside?

It sounds like both of you are doing really great...I am sure that you will just keep getting clearer and clearer!

Day 8 ---

Thanks again guys for the support!

To EyesLike Mine - I read your post and I think I remember my sister stopping using BP during her pregnancy. I don't know if there is any concrete evidence either way, but I guess it is better to be safe than sorry. However, on a positive note, she said that her face was the best it has ever been when she was pregnant. Must have been the hormones!

King - Thanks for the advice about the flaking. I hope you find a solution to your moisturize problem very soon. Let us know what you find!

Well, I woke up this morning and it is a beautiful day and I feel like I should not be even worrying about this issue...oh but I am. Last night I also really started to think about the fact that I was on Dioxycycline. My doctor put me on it about 2.5 weeks ago now, and I have been taking it ever since. He gave it to me because he knew that I would be traveling and perhaps not being very good with my topical stuff...which I actually was.

Anyway, I am angry now because this doctor doesn't know what he is talking about. I am student and so I have to go to the Student Health Center to a doc (not a dermatologist) that has to see like 100/patient hour. I have done just a little bit of research and already I know that he was giving me misinformation. He said that I should not experience a worsening of the acne at first, which after reading a bit I know to be true. Perhaps that has added to my bad breakouts over the last several weeks???? Also, now I am afraid to come off of then for fear the acne will get even worse than before. I feel like stopping taking them right now, but then if they really have been causing my breakouts I would be reaping all of the costs of the medication and none of the benefits. I am thinking about continuing to use them for a total of about two months to see what happens. At that point I can wean myself off of them to hopefully avoid a bad backlash. It says on this board that most people should see results in 4-6 weeks. Also, I was reading online some journal articles about it (ok, ok, I am a total dork and I prefer to actually read the articles the doctors publish rather than anything else), it was saying that your body begins to produce more antibiotic resistant acne bacteria, which is why long-term antibiotic therapy is both not beneficial and potentially harmful. However, I figure if I just do it for 2-3 months and then make myself stop this should not be a terrible concern. A part of my just wants to STOP now. Any thoughts?!?!? Sorry for how long winded this is.....WOW, I just realized how absurd I sound. haha :)

Other than that my face is doing ok. I had a minor panic attack last night when I realized that the red area that had been developing around my eyebrow was actually hard to the touch. Could this be a nodule? Oh please say that it is small and I only have one. Has anyone else experienced anything like that? I really don't think that I have, so it is quite worrying (we have a theme here...haha). Also, last night two little white heads were brewing around my mouth on opposite sides and of course they are more pronounced today. They don't hurt as much as usual though, and as of right now they are a bit smaller....so hopefully that is a good sign of things to come. It is so strange, it actually seems like the rest of my face is clearing up....there are fewer small bumps and it feels smoother. However, my problem areas just suck - which are above my eyebrows and around my mouth. I am really going to try not to pick at or pop these little whiteheads. I just feel like they are sirens on my face. Any thoughts on popping vs. just letting them be. I know that the common knowledge is to just let them be, but sometimes they just take FOREVER to heal this way.

Also, my face is a bit dryer this morning. It really isn't getting that red or feeling irritated anymore, it is just the extreme dryness. Seeing as I struggle with dryness whenever I come to this climate, doing the beginning of the regime here just makes it worse. Oh well, more moisturizer I guess. Is it bad to put moisturizer on several times a day?

I really am sorry for sounding so negative and down today. It is really funny because usually I am a very positive and upbeat person. This just really brings the sourpus out in me. Wow, did I just use the word sourpus. hahaha.

Good thing is your face isn't bright red or irritated which tends to happen early on in the regimen. Some people use moisturizer multiple times a day or just add jojoba oil around the flakes. The directions say it's okay to reapply the moisturizer.

Day 11--

Well, hopefully I can get some advice here because I am starting to get very frustrated...

First, of all, I stopped taking my antibiotics because I just couldn't bear the thought of having medication in my body anymore. Also, it is just a fact that the effectiveness wears off so it was just like delaying the inevitable. Anyway, I am hoping that taking those antibiotics for a few weeks and then just stopping them is one of the reasons I am breaking out so bad.

I guess I also am in Week #2 now, and they say that people experience a breakout during this time...right? Well, it actually seems like a lot of my face is clearing. I a couple of small little bumps on my forehead and on my chin, but I am not too worried about those. Other than that I have two larger bumps above my right eyebrow, but those are just healing at this point, and one little whitehead in the middle of my forehead. I had several little whiteheads above the left side of my lip, but those are also healing now. The area that I am very frustrated with is on the right side of my mouth - I have like four or five whiteheads brewing there. It is so disgusting. I have never had so many there at one time. HELP! What do I do? And then last night I was kept up from sleeping because I feel another one brewing right below the right side of my lip. Why are they all so concentrated in one place? It is so weird.

I am hoping that it is the acne bacteria's last stand against the antibiotics and also the second week breakout rolled into one. FINGERS CROSSED! I am really trying to not pop these guys though, cause I am afraid the acne bacteria just spreads in that area. DIE BACTERIA DIE :) Is not popping them best?

I tried the Jojoba Oil exfoliation technique yesterday morning and loved it. However, by afternoon my face was still shedding like a mongoose again. When will this dryness end? I am hoping that one day I will just wake up, do the exfoliation technique and see shining, glowing, soft, smooth skin. I keep trying to visualize it. It is difficult not to go to a negative place with this whole ordeal, but I am trying to keep my head up. Thinking about having clear skin again makes me want to cry. It is so funny that you never appreciate fully what you have until it is gone. I can't believe that only a few months ago I would panic about just one zit. This really puts things in perspective. I still cannot believe how weird it is that all of this popped up so quickly. Out of nowhere I have acne all over my face when only a few short months ago there was none. I keep trying to think of any explanation....the only thing that I can think of was that sleeping in my makeup for a week started some king of nasty cycle, and then I introduced in new products, and then I went on antibiotics (which I think really started the worst of this), and now I am here. Just hoping that this regime works. I am trying to put a positive spin on this...maybe all of this has actually given me an excuse to stop giving money to the evil Proactiv corporation, because honestly I probably would have been giving them $600/year for the rest of my life. Ick. I really hope Dan's Regime works. I think this company is so great, I love the supportive and caring environment that these boards provide, and I would love to support Dan and his selfless mission. Right now I am at a very rough patch though. I think this is the worst that my skin has been. Isn't it supposed to get better, not worse?

Also, yesterday I added a few drops of Dan's Jojoba Oil to the moisturier and that really helped with the flaking issue...I am just a little weary of this because several people have said that tooo much jojoba oil broke them out. Anyone else add Jojoba Oil to Dan's Moisturizer?

Well, sorry for the loooong post again. This just provides me an opportunity to rant. Hope everyone else is succeeding with the regime and on their way to clear skin!!! I am sending positive thoughts your way....

Well since we're about the same age I know how you feel. Tough to even leave the house on the weekends. I guess all I can say is keep up on the regimen and try to think long term. Just focus on how good you will look and feel in about a month or so. I really feel for you and hope things take a turn soon for ya.

Thank you so much for your kind words King. They really mean a lot! I am not quite sure how to articulate this, but just knowing that someone else has or is going through this (and especially is now clear!) really helps. Hope you are doing well!

Good Luck with your regimen... Although it might seem like an all time low.. you just have to have the attitude that it can only go up from here.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I am trying to switch up my attitude a bit. I just read over my previous posts and the negativity is a bit overboard.

I feel better about everything today. I am just going to keep plodding forward and tackle this problem head-on. Also, I bought Zinc, Probiotics, and Fish-Oil yesterday, so hopefully that will help. After all of the antibiotics I have been on I am sure that my body needs some good bacteria.

This morning I did the jojoba oil exfoliation technique again and so much stuff came of my face. However, oddly enough, it seemed like after I put the BP on and was waiting to put the lotion on my face was drier than ever. It looked like I had a dry skin/flaky beard. I am almost to two weeks with the regimine, so I figure that using one pump in the morning and night is where I should be at. Should I reduce my dosage at this point? The weird thing is that my forehead doesn't get that dry...it is mainly around my mouth. Ick. It seemed like the jojoba oil exfoliation didn't do anything at all. Weird. I am not sure if I should continue to do this, but I definitely need some technique for getting off all of the dead skin and flakes. Any suggestions?

Also, I have decided to really try to follow the what to expect guidlines posted by Kim. I keep getting all panicky everytime I find a new zit, which totally doesn't help with the problems. I just have to come to grips with the fact that I will probably get new zits for awhile...hopefully they will become fewer and smaller - but I just have to deal with them when them come. Also, right now my face just isn't a pretty picture because of not only the acne, but the drying and flaking. However, I know that will subside as I get more used to the BP and figure out my personal regimen with dosage and how to use Jojoba Oil, etc. I will keep you all posted! Good luck everyone!!!!