Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AllanB

How do you cope with social interactions?

Mentally and socially...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How do you cope?

• You're as confident and social as ever
    • Fairly confident but more socially reserved.
    • Self-esteem is down and you're socially reserved
    • Very depressed. Social Hermit.

Are ppl really capable of looking beyond physical imperfections?

Maybe looks really matter. Surely evolution has biologically wired us to adhere to this rule. The only way our species survived was by partners picking the most 'appealing' mates.

Let's face it, having glacial scars and volcanic mounds of pus on your face simply bites.

I'm very positive about my life in general...got a great job/wily sense of humor (so I'm told :shifty: ) & I'm in great shape....but I'm now just trying to be realistic about other aspects of my life...tired of getting my hopes up only to go out and get the "let's just be friends" line and have ppl stare at me etc.

How do you cope with your acne on a social and mental level?

Honestly, I use avoidance as my main coping mechanism. If I absolutely have to venture outside the house during a breakout, I fake it until I make it. People will think twice about their judgments if you appear unaffected.

When my skin is clear - Confident and social as ever

When my acne is mild - Fairly confident but socially reserved

When my skin is moderate - Self esteem is down and socially reserved

When my skin was at its absolute worst - Very depressed, social hermit

At the moment Im fairly clear but my face is full of hyperpigmentation and scarring so Id say Im on the lower end of - Fairly confident but socially reserved

At the moment Im fairly clear but my face is full of hyperpigmentation and scarring so Id say Im on the lower end of - Fairly confident but socially reserved

Yeah that pretty much sums up how most people feel

I try not to let it affect my social interactions unless I have a particularly bad time.

However, talking to girls is a different story. Acne ruins my confidence there, because otherwise I know I would have it. When I consider talking to a girl, the first and only think running through my mind preventing it is acne, nothing else.

There is no direct correlation between my acne and my social behavior.

Self-esteem is down and you're socially reserved. <-- That's me no matter what. Granted, I do feel a bit better about my appearance when my skin is clearer.

I dont let acne bother me anymore. I stay on the regimen i get clear then come off to see if my acne is gone but i normally have bad outbreak 3 or 4 weeks after stopping treatment.

Rignt now i have a bad outbreak on the lower part of my face. Yeah it annoys me but i refuse to let it stop me from living my life anymore.

Tonight someone at work is leaving so there are leaving drinks for that person.

I have party to goto tomorrow night.

Meeting up with an old friend Sunday daytime, and then going cinema sunday night.

Now all the above was arranged today out of the blue. A few years ago i would have said no to all of the above with an outbreak on my face. But at this point in my life, being 24 i REFUSE to lose anymore of my life to acne. At the end of the day i have a good personalilty and i can make anyone laugh.

My advice for everyone is to go out and meet new people don't got out look to hook up with a girl or guy lol. A lot of my anxiety used to come from that mind set. Go ouy with the attitude of making some new friends and then come home. It works great.

There is no direct correlation between my acne and my social behavior.

Self-esteem is down and you're socially reserved. <-- That's me no matter what. Granted, I do feel a bit better about my appearance when my skin is clearer.

Now all the above was arranged today out of the blue. A few years ago i would have said no to all of the above with an outbreak on my face. But at this point in my life, being 24 i REFUSE to lose anymore of my life to acne. At the end of the day i have a good personalilty and i can make anyone laugh.

That's a great outlook you've got there Nick. Much envy. I also feel a bit too old to be worrying about social interactions...but I'm not quite there yet.

But doesn't the constant 'emotional yo-yo'-ing get a bit tiring?

Nicky i so agree with you, though i still have to work at actually applying that kind of mind-set to my everyday life. It's getting better though.

I don't want to go through my entire life worrying about my skin, that's far too much time wasted away for something so superficial.

Yeah it's hard not to let it bother me, and i think about it everyday but you know what it's usually never even as bad as you think it actually is and not everyone is so shallow that they can't look past your imperfections. Plus, there is a solution for acne - it takes time and devotion and finding the right products/treatments etc, but we'll get there :)

That's a great outlook you've got there Nick. Much envy. I also feel a bit too old to be worrying about social interactions...but I'm not quite there yet.

It just takes time. I wish i knew what I did to get where i am. I spent 2 years in depression, barely steping outside of my room and for what? I have red lumps and marks on my face. I just one day said to myself there are millions of people out there far worse off than me and they just get on with it.

I think the turning point for me was when i was out one day and i see a very pretty girl with one arm. I looked over at here and she was happy, laughing, joking and enjoying her life. There i was complaining about acne when this girl lost her arm and she was going about her life like nothing was wrong. It kind of put into perspective for me.

Nicky i so agree with you, though i still have to work at actually applying that kind of mind-set to my everyday life. It's getting better though.

I don't want to go through my entire life worrying about my skin, that's far too much time wasted away for something so superficial.

Yeah it's hard not to let it bother me, and i think about it everyday but you know what it's usually never even as bad as you think it actually is and not everyone is so shallow that they can't look past your imperfections. Plus, there is a solution for acne - it takes time and devotion and finding the right products/treatments etc, but we'll get there :)

It is easier said than done. Even now sometimes i feel crap and don't want to go out but i push myself to go out.

I come to accept a long time ago there is no cure for acne, we can only treat it and control. Once i just accpeted that i have acne it just got easier for me.

Yes it will take time, and you will have low points but it will get better and you wonder what the hell you used to worry about. I am such a different person from the guy i was 5 years ago. I will never go back to that depressed young person i used to be.

Well I have been B, C, and D at various times. Here's how it works:

You're as confident and social as ever -Never

Fairly confident but more socially reserved. -When acne is mild

Self-esteem is down and you're socially reserved -When acne is moderate

Very depressed. Social Hermit. -When acne is severe

It's all quite simple really.

Well the thing is, its not really yo-yo-ing as you put it. Ive only really had acne twice in my life. The first time it was moderate and I was a teen (lasted 2 years or so), cleared that up with Vitamin B5. The second time I got it it was horribly severe and lasted a long time not including the aftermath.

So its not like one week it will be mild, then the next it will be severe, then the next it will be clear. My skin is pretty consistent in terms of severity I suppose.