Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoin (Retin A) .025 & Doxycycline 100mg - Log

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/12/2008 1:23 am

Hey guys, I have been browsing these forums for a while, just haven't posted much. Today (or tonight I should say) is my first try time for Retin A and Doxycycline. I really hope this works, but I am already dreading the initial breakout

I have a case of mild to moderate adult acne (I am 24) so I am hoping this is for me. I think the hardest part about this is trying not to be too self-conscious and depressive about the breakouts I will be getting. Its been a good while since my acne has been debilitating for my life, especially now that I am going to a real university full time. I can't mess up by not going to class though. I spent 5 years in community college (messing around most of the time) and I transferred to a 4 yr university. Couldn't have picked a better time to start retinoids...

I was never afflicted with real acne like this until a year or two ago. Strange things our bodies do... I had the occasional pimple and such in high school and early college, but nothing like this. I hope they figure out how to cure acne once and for all in my lifetime, maybe not for me, but for the coming generations so they don't have to deal with this affliction.

Anyways, I would like to hear any success stories from people who have been on Retin A (or more like Tretenoin in my case) to help me further the cause.

============================================================

Morning

Cleanse w/ Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (in shower)

Moisturize w/ Dove Sensitive Essentials Lotion

Treat w/ Dan Kern's BP

Night

Cleanse w/ Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (in shower)

Moisturize w/ Dove Sensitive Essentials Lotion

Treat w/ Tretenoin .025% gel

============================================================

Day One 9/11/08

About 5-6 papules that are now flattened out and healing on my chin. 3-4 papule/pustules in between my eyebrows. Cluster of small pimples and tender red skin on the upper right of my mouth. Same thing on the upper left of my mouth, but less pimples and skin is not tender red. Couple of healing red spots on my left and right cheeks. Random small pimples here and there around the center of my forehead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day Three 9/13/08

No peeling or irritation noticed. 3 active whiteheads. Existing pimples healing, but still noticeable Nothing big forming. Got to stop picking at my face though. Mirrors are deadly...

I am starting to use BP during the day now as well on inflamed acne.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day Four 9/14/08

Most of the blemishes on the chin are now starting to heal, except for 1 or 2 stubborn papules. Upper lip has noticed much improvement, but still red by the corners of the nose and small papules that will turn into whiteheads in a day or two. The 3-4 papules in between my eyebrows are starting to heal as well, except two of them. One of them is starting to look like a cyst, but it got smaller. Small whiteheads around the forehead area. Since I started this regimen already broken out, it seems like progress is being made early. I think the BP is helping with the purging process. Although, I do believe I will hit a pretty bad initial breakout. Will deal with it when it comes.

Skin is starting to peel around the mouth area, where my breakouts have been though. It is probably because of the existing acne there that the skin is tender and prone to peeling first. There is a burning sensation from when I apply the tretinoin, but it subsides quickly. I hope this IB comes quickly instead of later, and that the BP in the daytime helps keep it under control.

Day Five 9/15/08

Face looks pretty terrible, especially during the day (the sun is not my friend). Getting more flakes and peeling. Just doesn't look healthy. Couple of new small formations around my mouth and right cheek, which will probably turn into whiteheads soon (I hope). Although my face does look quite dry and flaky and nasty, the red spots are slowly fading on my chin. It was really bad before on my chin. I would look close in the mirror and most of my chin would be red. Now it is just patches of red. The "cyst" in between my eyebrows is shrinking and getting less inflamed. One papule left which I can see the head of in the same place as the cyst. Other than that there is a whitehead which is crusting up right above my left eyebrow.

The whiteheads that turn hard turn a slight yellow color, which is gross so I picked off two of them today. They were fairly big in size and they took a good amount of skin with them, which made them bleed slightly. I just hope this whole process is my initial breakout because I have noticed my skin being thinner. I can also tell more stuff is being pushed out of my pores, but the bad part is that most of the stuff being pushed out is already that hard waxy stuff. Amazing how many closed pores I had prior to this.

I skipped class today because I didn't want to face life. Felt pretty down earlier in the day and still kind of do. I hope I am in the purging period right now, but it seems way too early for that. One can only hope though... My doctor also let me know there was something wrong with me that was indicated from my blood tests. I hope it is something that is related to the causation of acne so that he can prescribe me something else to take care of the root problem.

Day Six 9/16/08

More flaking today as usual. A shower gets rid of most of them while rubbing circles around where the problem areas area. Just trying not to rub too hard or it will make the red areas more red. Popped 4 pimples that were ready to pop. I can feel a lot of new small blemishes around my mouth, but they are not very visible, thankfully. Overall it is getting better, just need days to heal the existing breakout. I think the tretinoin has taken a few layers off and is in the purging process. At least I hope because that is what it seems like. Its weird because from reading other peoples logs, some of this stuff doesn't happen for at least a week or two. Maybe my face is responding quicker than the average.

More stinging and burning when the tretinoin was applied, more so than the previous days. I also feel a tingle when it is applied. That is a good sign for me. It always makes me feel better when you think something is working. Didn't apply BP today as it always dries my skin out, and I don't wanna be the flake master. Lips have been really dry lately, been using Burt's Bees lip balm everyday. Was being more self-conscious today. Really trying to conquer the mental aspect of acne more so than the physical. It is very debilitating for me, especially when I am at home. Trying to stay away from checking myself out in the mirrors.

Day Eight 9/18/08

Got a few new small pimples that popped up, but they already seem to be healing. Things seem to be going away quicker now. I can feel my pores that are in the process of exfoliating cause while I wash my face I can feel small little bumps. I wouldn't even call them bumps though, its more like little pricks. The upper lip area is finally starting to recover, got a bunch of small whiteheads up on the corners. The redness is starting to go away too. My chin still looks like a warzone, but it is healing as well. My nose is really smooth now, but I can still see the blackheads there. The area between my eyebrows is in the healing process as well. All it takes it time I guess...

It is good that I see progress, slow and steady. I can tell my facial skin is thinner and getting smoother by the day. Not as much pronounced burning when I applied the tret (I'll be using that for the abbreviation for tretinoin). I did not apply BP in the daytime as well. I guess I am just letting everything heal naturally. There really isn't many people in my classes that have noticeable acne. Maybe like 2-3 at most. It is really depressing to know you were the unlucky one.

Day Eleven 9/21/08

Still getting numerous whiteheads around my mouth. They turn from a red spot to a whitehead in a day or two. Still got some blotchy red areas though, but they look decently better than before. Got a few red spots on my left cheek that appeared today. Hopefully they will just go away, but I suspect they will turn into a whitehead soon enough. I did minimal picking to my face today cause I want everything to heal faster. I was reading though stoppickingonme.com and it helped me with the realization that picking is only a temporary solution.

The peeling has subsided to be pretty much non-existent. Also, the burning sensation has gone away as well. I guess this means my skin is starting to accept the tret. I think I am starting the IB phase as well. My left cheek was clear as can be, but few red spots have started to show. I hope this is the IB... the sooner the better. No social contact today, so I wasn't that self-conscious. I am trying to not pick, not look at mirrors, and not be self-conscious. That will be my goal from now on.

Day Thirteen 9/23/08

I am pretty sure I have started my IB as I have various papules forming. A new one on my right temple, 2 on the left side of my mouth and one in between my eyes. Skin condition looks pretty terrible. Still breaking out with small whiteheads around my mouth with new ones everyday. As long as the tret is doing its job, I try not to worry too much. Some red marks on my right cheek are still there.

Some peeling and flakes around my mouth, where the major breakout has been. I figure areas that have been hit with acne are more prone to peel because the skin is damaged. Here's to another day of progress to clear skin....... I hope.

Day Fifteen 9/25/08

Seems like most of my pimples are healing pretty good. I can feel bumps that haven't turned into full blown pimples yet, but they are coming. Got about two on my chin, 1 on my right temple, and two between the eyebrows. Not many whiteheads, but I have been guilty of popping them. Only the ones they look ready to be popped. Red marks are still existent. At least the breakout around my mouth is finally starting to settle down in the redness. I had blotches of red and it just looked terrible. The blotches are becoming smaller and less red is better.

Not so much flaking today or peeling for that matter. Wherever there was a recent pimple that died, I can see dead skin protecting that area by morning. I have a habit of pulling it off, but I am sure it is not helping it. I would think it is better if I let it run its course and just flake off when it is ready, but sometimes I am just anal retentive. I guess it comes with the territory. I have hopes for clear skin by the 5th week (only a guesstimate though).

Day Seventeen 9/27/08

I missed a dose of doxy and tret yesterday due to a heavy night of drinking. Got a couple of new pimples formed, mostly small ones. I think overall I have been progress on the existing breakout around my mouth. A lot of redness has subsided into small patches.

No burning when applying the tret. Some peeling still around my mouth, but nothing severe. Got a lot of small invisible bumps that aren't red, which I believe is the IB. If this is what consists of the IB, then it shouldn't be too bad. Blackheads still on my nose, but starting to come to the surface. They seem to be really rooted deep in there, so it will probably take another week or two for them to be removed. I think heavily drinking makes me skin quality worse.

Day Eighteen 9/28/08

Got many small red spots on my cheeks and around my mouth. They are mostly noticeable if I look up close in the mirror, but I bet they are noticeable in the daylight as well... A couple of small whiteheads around my mouth that look like they will disappear overnight. Still have two decent size pimples between my eyebrow, but I popped one today because it was already in the process when I got out of the shower. I think there are less blackheads on my nose (maybe not though, I didn't count how many there were... ).

No burning when applying the tret and minimal peeling. Feeling tingly on various places on my face after I apply the tret. Doxy is doing a good job of keeping big inflamed pimples to a minimum. Nose and forehead is pretty damn smooth. I hope what I am experiencing is the extent of the IB. It is bearable and so far isn't as bad as I thought, but who knows it maybe get worse as I am only nearing the 3rd week...

Day Twenty 9/30/08

Well now... whatever posts I made about peeling were way off. After my nightly shower, I looked in the mirror and said "what the hell?!" Around my mouth and in between my eyebrows, it looked like I shed a layer of skin off like a snake. I can only hope that it won't continue to be like that, but I know it probably will. Got a few new small pimples that formed on my forehead, but they are already gone by nighttime. The formation on my right temple gained a friend, but the one that was existing is a cyst. The cyst has gone down considerably over the last few days and should be gone real soon. That was my first cyst since I started the treatment; although, I never got too many before. Everything else is healing slowly, but still getting small whiteheads around my mouth which is my trouble area.

Slight burning when I applied the tret that went away in a second. Skin is smooth in certain areas. I think I am just starting my IB and I can only hope it won't be that bad. I don't mind the peeling so much as having a whitehead on my face. Or red marks for that matter. I'll just tell people I am shedding my weekly layer

Day Twenty-Five 10/5/08

It has been a while since I updated cause I have been very busy. Haven't experienced any peeling lately, only minor flaking here and there. Not many whiteheads anymore, and when I do get them, they are quite small. The area around my mouth is still healing. Got a lot of red marks, but they seem to get lighter everyday. Been getting small random pimples in different areas that were clear so I am sure this is part of the IB. It has been very bearable so far. Cheeks are healing for a small breakout, if you can even call it a breakout. It is those ones where you get a small patch of redness, but nothing ever forms. Overall skin quality is getting better. Still got blackheads on my nose, but not as much as before. I think I will be clear of all pimples in a week or so. After that, it will just be leftover red marks.

Day Thirty-Two 10/12/08

Well it has been exactly a week since I last updated. Let me say I have been breaking out quite a lot on my forehead and cheeks. Areas around my mouth still have a lot of red marks and just needs time to heal. Got some decent size inflammations between my eyebrows. It is a cluster of 4-5 pimples, which I popped (not a good idea). Looks like I am still going through my IB. I thought it was going to be all clearing up, but not yet. The breakouts of my cheeks have been small ones, but lots of em. My forehead has many, but a lot of them are healing now. It has been hard for me not to pop whiteheads, but I will continue to try to let everything heal on its on. Skin is overall smoother and less blackheads on my nose. I hope this will be over soon

Day Thirty-Eight 10/18/08

The breakouts have started to subside. No new formations as of late. Areas around my mouth have finally started to become flesh color again instead of being littered with red marks. There is one cyst in between my eyebrows. Skin is definitely smoother overall. I am still "exfoliating" from the tret as I can feel the little bumps on my cheeks when I wash my face (these bumps aren't really visible unless you look up close). Less blackheads on my nose, but still not clear yet. I haven't been popping or touching any active pimples and they have started to heal a lot quick. Things are starting to turn for the better.

Day Forty-Two 10/22/08

Today I start my 6th week into Retin-A. I honestly thought I would be rid of this pesky acne, but I am not completely clear yet. How do I compare to when I first started? A world of difference is what can be said. Granted I am not clear yet, I am happy with the current results.

I have some dying pimples on the corners of my forehead. My right cheek has a cluster of red marks that look like they will turn into whiteheads sooner or later. Chin has two small pimples that are almost gone. There is one cyst between my eyebrows that is getting smaller by the day. Left cheek is pretty clear minus brown spots. Lots of brown spots in areas where the major breakouts were before (chin, cheeks, bridge of nose). This IB takes a long time. According to the Retin-A instructions, improvements should be seen after 6 weeks. I think I will start to see big improvements in two weeks, but I am not making assumptions so I won't be disappointed if I don't. My whole face is really smooth and just recently I have been flaking in certain spots. Also, I figure since my skin is thinner, it is more prone to have pore blockage which I have seen. The Retin-A clears up these small ones overnight. I had to refill my prescription of Retin-A this week. I obviously have been using too much everyday and still trying to master the pea-sized amount you are supposed to use.

Day Forty-Seven 10/27/08

Ughhh. Still breaking out on my forehead... don't know why it won't stop :( The cyst on the bridge of my nose is going down, but had an inflamed whitehead sucker form up next to it. I keep breaking out on the right side of my forehead, but my left is clearing up and is mostly redmarks. I have about 5 pimples on the right side forehead and it is really annoying that I keep breaking out there. Left cheek has some brown marks and no active pimples. Right cheek has the cluster of marks, which some turned whitehead. They are small though and is clearing up much faster than the corner of my forehead. I am running out of doxycycline and the bottle says no refills. I am going to go back to the doctor to see if I need to continue on the antibiotics, if needed, but I don't think the p. acnes is under control yet.

Day Fifty-One 10/31/08

Still breaking out... After one starts to go away, another pops right up. Right cheek not looking so good. Have one big whitehead that I hope goes away by tomorrow. Forehead keeps getting new pimples one after the other. Left cheek gets these small inflamed pimples. Face is still smooth, minus all the bumps. Two small pimples on the bridge of my nose, which have been there for a while. Ugghhh... don't look so good. Area around the mouth is still pretty clear though. I am kind of disappointed at the results so far, but of course I am going to stick it out. I really hope it does work in the end.

No peeling at all, but flaking if I rub my face. Mostly happens around my mouth area. I refilled on doxycycline after emailing my doctor. Got a 200 pill count so that will last me 100 days. If/when I clear up completely, I will continue to use the doxy for a couple of weeks just to make sure the p. acnes is under control. I hope to continue Retin-A for years, if the doctor will think thats a good idea.

Day Fifty-Six 11/5/08

A lot of the big pimples have been healing at a good rate. Get a few new pimples per week, but they are really small inflammations. Lots of red marks, I mean lots. Overall, I feel I am still progressing.

I don't know if its the red marks, but it looks like my face is raw in places where it has current acne. The skin is smoother, but it has a wierd tone to it. It could be all in my head. I hope to see continuing progress past the 2 month mark.

Day Sixty-Four 11/13/08

Not much other to update, still get a few breakouts throughout the week. Skin is very smooth all over, except for my cheeks (especially my right). It still has a breakout patch if that makes sense. It is like a cluster of small red/brown marks that turn into really small whiteheads, if at all. Got a recent pimple in between my brows and a couple on my forehead/sideburns area. Been getting slight peeling still, but it is unnoticeable. Still hoping for better progress as I go through my 9th week.

Day Ninety-Seven 12/16/08

Still making slow and steady progress towards being completely clear. Couple of small pimples, but they are not inflamed. Still got the brown spots on my cheeks and on the bridge of my nose. Still flaking, dunno why. My skin has become sensitive to flaking, but only when I rub it. If I rub an area, small flakes can be seen. I wonder if I should start chemical exfoliation. Oh, and I changed my routine by only moisturizing in the daytime and not at night. It is making my skin noticeably drier, but I am trying to get used to it. I might go back to moisturizing at night if my skin starts to become too dry and flaky.

Day Hundred-Seven 12/26/08

I stopped dosing on doxycycline last week. I think it its making me breakout a little on my cheeks. The breakouts aren't that big, but there are a lot of little ones. I have also converted back to moisturizing twice a day again cause my skin was getting way too flaky. I am starting to use BP during the daytime as well now to see if that can counteract the breakouts. I am also thinking about exfoliating once a week now with a face wash. I will decide to do that if the BP doesn't stop the breakouts. Lots of redmarks still :(

MemberMember
(@soapybubbles)

Posted : 09/12/2008 11:22 am

Hey!

I'm just starting this whole tretinoin (retin-a) thing, too. I started on Monday and have not had anything close to an initial breakout yet, although I am dreading it by the minute, believe me. I find myself in a similar situation to you, having just transferred from another university to the one I am now attending. What a great time to make your face go bonkers. I'm hoping it won't be that bad?

*crosses fingers*

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/12/2008 2:20 pm

Yea I will hope for the both of us that our faces don't explode. I really think its if we have underlying acne that would have popped out anyways, just at different times. You can post here for your ongoing log, I don't mind. Has your skin started peeling? I didn't apply that much yesterday.

MemberMember
(@soapybubbles)

Posted : 09/12/2008 11:47 pm

yeah, I'm not peeling really at all as of now. Actually, I'm on day four of the tretinoin, and I really haven't received any new pimples except for a really, really small unnoticeable one on my cheek. The previous blemishes I had prior to taking the medicine are already getting much smaller! I'm also on erythromycin topical and BP in the mornings though, so it could be because of that...:/

From reading all of these accounts, most people say that you should use the smallest amount possible that can still cover your face. Most people recommend to use a pea size and then add more if there are places of your face it you couldn't reach with just the pea size. This is supposed to help minimize irritation and painful peeling.

Personally, I'm just bracing myself for the initial breakout. I heard it comes at like week 2 to week 4 if you use the medication every night and not every other night. Keep me posted on your progress as well, it's nice to have someone starting it at relatively the same time.

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/13/2008 2:56 pm

Updated log. The gel seems like it never covers a lot of area, but I have been using the pea-sized amount as directed, plus a little more to cover the area between my lips and nose. I figure a lot of people go overboard on using too much of the stuff and that is why they peel a lot. Also, I have read people using AHAs or BHAs as well, but in my experience those dry me up and make me flake if I use it too much. Therefore, I would recommend not using any exfoliating during tretenoin treatment. Just my .02.

Been researching Candida and Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS). I only have a small portion of the symptoms listed on there. If this doesn't work for me in the coming months, I will get myself tested for Candida.

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/15/2008 2:25 am

Updated for day four. Mental aspect of acne is starting to be accepted by myself. Just believing the 'don't give a fuck' attitude towards it. It is hard when you notice people look back multiple times though...

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/16/2008 1:34 am

Updated. How are you coming along Soapybubbles?

Anyone know of a good sunscreen that isn't too dry and covers redness well? I think for the flaking I might pick up some Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel.

MemberMember
(@soapybubbles)

Posted : 09/17/2008 1:00 pm

Hey MisterTwo,

I'm doing alright. This past weekend has been stressful for non-face reasons, so I haven't really been paying attention to my progress. Lets just say I lost a boyfriend but gained a kitten. Personally, I'm adjusting to life right now, lol.

It's about day 8 of my regimen, and some days I think I'm clearing up, and then the next day I'll have new ones that replace the old ones and my face will be super sensitive. I feel like some days I won't be sensitive at all, and other days I'm really itchy and red and gross feeling. My face has been really clear for like two years now, so I'm not really used to having problems around my chin area until now. Anyway, no new guys today. Hopefully they just keep on leaving. I can't tell if this is the initial breakout or not. Since my acne was not that bad to begin with I don't know if my 'initial breakout' is secretly just 'staying the same', with new pimples replacing the old, instead of the mayhem most people describe.

I guess only time can tell. Also, I left the cap off of my tretinoin for a night. Did that ruin the medication?

also, as for sunscreen, I don't know one that gets rid of redness. Eucerin has a lot of products that contain slight green enhancers, which do combat the red in your skin, but they're kind of expensive, like 15 dollars or so. I'm sure they have some with spf. however, if you're really active outside I suggest using neutrogena dry touch sunblock because the spf is higher. My derm recommended it, but it has fragrance so it makes my really sensitive skin burn.

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/19/2008 1:44 am

Sorry to hear about the breakup Soapy. Hope your not feeling too down. Life goes on though...

I think your tretinoin should be ok with the cap off. Don't quote me though, I'm no doctor, or pharmacist for that matter.

I have been using the ultra sheer dry touch from neutrogena and it works well. I just wish it had a tint to it so it would cover up the redness.

MemberMember
(@max101)

Posted : 09/20/2008 3:28 am

Hey Mister 2, good luck with you're regimen I just want to say that when i started Tretinoin 0.1% i had very similar results. AND In my opinion, those little bumps you see after your dead skin is being peeled off are actually the Initial Breakout. SO don't expect anything big.

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/21/2008 12:46 am

Thanks for the comments Max101. Good to know what I am experiencing are normal. I really hope my IB won't last too long even though it isn't too bad considering I was dealing with a breakout before.

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/22/2008 12:44 am

updated.

MemberMember
(@soapybubbles)

Posted : 09/22/2008 9:18 am

I'm embarking on my third week, and this is when things are supposed to be at their worst. MisterTwo, I read in one of your other posts about you explaining that if you had a breakout before starting the treatment, you will just keep on breaking out in that area. I totally agree! I feel as though i've been continuously breaking out on my chin, which is the exact place my breakout was when starting the treatment. I actually think that area is starting to clear up though (not quite close to clear though), and my forehead is almost clear as well as my nose of blackheads and little bumps! I hope that those areas stay relatively clear instead of getting worse.

P.S- if anyone here is on topical erythromycin be prepared for MAJOR burn-city after you put it on. Right now, it's 9:17, my face is on fire and I have class at 10. I really hope I can avoid looking like a tomato, lol.

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/24/2008 1:32 am

Doesn't it suck Soapy to just keep breaking out in the same area? It makes it look like you have permanent acne in that area

It just sucks to keep hoping it will clear up in that area, but it doesn't. At least not for now. So would you say you are on the last stages of the IB, or do you think there is more to come?

It sucks I have social events coming up... turning 24 in 2 days Won't wanna be in any pictures...

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 09/24/2008 12:57 pm

just wanted to say thanks for support in my log and good luck with your regimen! oh and happy almost birthday!

MemberMember
(@soapybubbles)

Posted : 09/24/2008 7:55 pm

LOLZ!

Initial breakout almost over?! I don't think so. My face played this hilarious trick on me today where it looked pretty darn good in the morning, but when I got home, it was like scale-city on my chin. So, I began trying to get rid of the peelies, and when I did, behold a whole bunch of hidden guys.

That sounded really gross. But although it didn't look super gross, it was SUPER disappointing. I don't have as many cysts on my chin now, but who knows how long this breakout is going to last. I think my IB has started... but I don't know if it's at its worst yet. I was definitely in hopes of clearing up this morning, and now I don't know how I feel.

Well, no matter what your face looks like, I'm sure you'll have fun on your birthday. Just hang out with a bunch of your friends. Real friends don't even care what your face looks like, as lame as that sounded. Do you feel as though you've made any improvement?

MemberMember
(@priyankazaverihotmail-com)

Posted : 09/24/2008 7:58 pm

ommmmyyyy god i hated my intitial breakout. be ready for scars and terrrrreeible blemishes. but i did get clear. just my blemishes wont go away. im not kidding..they wont. good luck :]

MemberMember
(@max101)

Posted : 09/24/2008 9:14 pm

ommmmyyyy god i hated my intitial breakout. be ready for scars and terrrrreeible blemishes. but i did get clear. just my blemishes wont go away. im not kidding..they wont. good luck :]

hahaha you're right! and no theyre not blemishes they're red marks. blemishes are active pimples

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/25/2008 12:17 pm

Ahhh damn. I thought it was signs of an IB... guess I was wrong

I keep getting progressively better in the breakout that was there when I started the regimen. Been getting various papules that turn into whiteheads in about a day. They have been appearing on my forehead, in between eyebrows, and mouth area. As for improvement, I guess if you can call healing from an existing breakout improvement, there is. But, overall facial skin is thinner and I feel I haven't purged much yet. Hang in there Soapy, were in for quite a ride I guess.

I guess I will have quite a lot of red marks after this is done. They fade eventually though. Sometimes it takes a year I hear, but mine never lasted that long in the past.

MemberMember
(@kushndrank)

Posted : 09/25/2008 5:02 pm

Yo man whats up

Today I just hit my 3rd week using RAM .1% and 100mg doxy a day. It seems like all 3 of us are goin through the same thing. I'm awaiting this shitty IB thats gonna come anyday x_X Anyways just wanted to say good luck to you guys..hopefully this is the last few months well have to endure until we finally have clear skin.

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/26/2008 4:42 am

Hey kushndrank. We can only hope the end result is going to be good. Sooner the better!

I was thinking about it and was wondering what we will do when we are completely clear. Will we continue Retin A for the long term? Just afraid it will all come back after we are done with the treatment. Maybe apply it once a week instead of everyday?

MemberMember
(@soapybubbles)

Posted : 09/26/2008 6:20 pm

MisterTwo, I was on tretinoin for two years and was basically completely clear. I went off of it for like 5 months (I though my acne was gone)... and now I'm back to square one. I would definitely recommend staying on it and using regularly as you are now for as long as it works for you. Plus, it REALLY helps with anti-aging, and once your skin gets used to it, it keeps you looking fresh. My mom uses it (as many older ladies do) to get rid of sun spots, and help combat aging. Her skin looks 10 years younger than it really is.

also, when do you take your shower... in the morning? or do you take it at night and moisturize before you put the retina on?

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 09/27/2008 1:19 am

you know, i agree with soapy bubbles

not a cure, just controls it, so you gotta keep doing it i guess

but maybe less often would be a good idea once your clear

i wonder what the effects are long term, though?

MemberMember
(@mistertwo)

Posted : 09/27/2008 12:51 pm

I have searched google and haven't found too many studies on long-term effects of retin a. From what I gathered, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects of using it for a long time. I shower twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I moisturize after every shower and yes, I put the retin a on after moisturizing. I figure if your gonna strip the layers of the skin, might as well keep it healthy and moist.

I missed a dose of doxy and tret yesterday. Drank wayyyy too much and crashed at a friend's place. Just got home with a massive hangover... gonna go pass out.

MemberMember
(@laindenver)

Posted : 09/27/2008 1:01 pm

Just wanted to put in my two cents and say that my derm told me when my skin got clear I could try only using retin-a 2 or 3 times a week. Also you moisturize first? Is that working alright because I always heard that you needed to wait 30 min after putting on the retin-a and then moisturize. Hope your skin get clear quickly:)