Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anl

Isotretinoin Actavis log

Hi there.

I'm a 31 year old danish bloke who has suffered from acne more or less half of my life. It has never been what you would call severe acne, rather it has been 'fluctuating' between mild to moderate. Unfortunately in the last couple of years it has gotten increasingly worse, slowly but surely, and I'm just sick of it. I'm sick of having my day ruined when I get up in the morning and take the first look at my face. I'm sick of having to avoid social events because I have a bad 'acne-week', of doing everything I can to avoid businessmeetings, of not having the guts to talk to certain women. It has been affecting me more and more psychologically and I'm just thinking about it all the time. When I break out badly, I try not to draw attention to myself. When I sit down I often put my elbow on the table and let my hand support my head, and try to cover the part of my face that breaks out. When I take the train or bus I always pick a seat so that the part of my face that looks worse is closest to the window, so the other passengers only see my best side, so to speak.

I read about medicin containing isotretinoin years ago, but I never really had the guts to try it out. The sideeffects just seemed too scary. But now I'll take the chance. I have tried pretty much all other products on the market, and they all had either no or only temporary effect.

Well, this is it, then. I must admit I'm a bit worried, but hopefully it won't be too bad, and in a couple of months I can look back and smile at it (with a handsome face, mind you).

I took my first pill today. I've been put on 40 mg/day for the first month (I'm 77 kg/ 170 lbs). I guess my dermatologist will up the dose a bit if I'm not reacting too bad.

I'm sure a lot of us, including myself can certainly relate to many of the ways that acne affects your everyday life.

I've been on accutane once before and started it again yesterday, so we're going through this together.

Good luck man, hopefully by Christmas we'll both be lookin' great and well on the road to 100% clear skin.

Hi there.

I'm a 31 year old danish bloke who has suffered from acne more or less half of my life. It has never been what you would call severe acne, rather it has been 'fluctuating' between mild to moderate. Unfotunately in the last couple of years it has gotten increasingly worse, slowly but surely, and I'm just sick of it. I'm sick of having my day ruined when I get up in the morning and take the first look at my face. I'm sick of having to avoid social event because I have a bad 'acne-week', of doing everything I can to avoid businessmeetings, of not having the guts to talk to certain women. It has been affecting me more and more psychologically and I'm just thinking about it all the time. When I break out badly, I try not to draw attention to myself. When I sit down I often put my elbow on the table and let my hand support my head, and try to cover the part of my face that breaks out. When I take the train or bus I always pick a seat so that the part of my face that looks worse is closest to the window, so the other passengers only see my best side, so to speak.

I read about medicin containing isotretinoin years ago, but I never really had the guts to try it out. The sideeffects just seemed too scary. But now I'll take the chance. I have tried pretty much all other products on the market, and they all had either no or only temporary effect.

Well, this is it, then. I must admit I'm a bit worried, but hopefully it won't be too bad, and in a couple of months I can look back and smile at it (with a handsome face, mind you).

I took my first pill today. I've been put on 40 mg/day for the first month (I'm 77 kg/ 170 lbs). I guess my dermatologist will up the dose a bit if I'm not reacting too bad.

Hello! It sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I'm a 23 yr. old female struggling with mild to moderate acne...im on day 68/40 mg a day. When I read your post I almost laughed because I do the exact same things you do! I want to sit on a certain side of the car/bus, put my hand in front of my face when I talk, and avoid all social situations if i'm having a bad skin week! Crazy. Honestly, the side affects really aren't anything terrible. I know everyone reacts differently. But because the dosage isn't too high, I didn't experience any terrible breakouts. Just dry skin (and hair!! get a good conditioner) my lips are wicked dry too (but not cracked). My face isn't even red. In fact, although Im still getting breakouts they disappear quickly and you can't even see any blackhead or pores on my face. It's soo much smoother. I know it feels like a kind of long road, but I always keep myself motivated by the end result...gorgeous skin and confidence!

MustangBlue:

Thanks alot for the kind words. And yes, hopefully around christmas we'll have put all this behind us once and for all. That would just be amazing if that could happen.

lba2008:

I guess we all have various tricks to hide ourselves at times. Just this saturday I called my friend who had invited me to a dinnerparty, and said I wouldn't be able to make it after all. I came up with an excuse, but the main reason was that I was breaking out badly. It's great to hear that you don't suffer from bad sideeffects. I hope I can avoid that too.

So this is Day 5 on Isotretinoin, and I think I have gotten the dreaded initial breakout pretty much right away. Usually my chin and the area around my mouth is where the trouble is, but this time there is also something on my cheeks and along the jawline, and even a bit on my forehead, which normally never breaks out. My normal problem area is by far still where it is looking worst. Really red and inflamed, and I must have gotten at least a dozen whiteheads since I started. That sucks.

Fortunately, according to the note in the medicin package, it usually gets better after 7-10 days. I can't wait for those days to pass. Usually the spots I get leave a red mark for 1-2 weeks, so I don't know if is realistic to hope for at prettier face within the first 7-10 days on this stuff.

I have noticed that my skin has become quite oily in the last couple of days. Usually I have pretty dry skin, so it almost feels nice for a change. When I got out of the shower today, I also noticed that my face is quite red in the area around my cheekbones and nose. Also my forehead is pretty red. However, the skin around the eyes is really white in comparison, so it looks like a have been tanning with sunglasses on. I can also see some very small and subtle red threads on the side of my nose, like tiny blood vessels. I hope they stay small and subtle.

But still... it's nothing I can't handle. I just really look forward to seeing my face again without all those cursed spots.

That's all for now. Have a nice day everyone.

Day 12

I don't know if the IB coincided with a breakout I would have had anyway, but frankly, I don't think my acne has ever been any worse than it is right now. Every day I get between five and ten whiteheads, and my jawline, chin, and area around my mouth is looking dreadful. I must have something like 20-30 really red spots at the moment. Every time I shave, it just looks so horrible I want to put a bag over my head. I haven't been outside for three days.

I can't wait til it gets better.

The sideeffects aren't too bad, fortunately. My skin is dry and my lips are chapped, but that was to be expected. Also I'm pretty tired. Usually I get around 7 hours of sleep at night, but these days I sleep at least 8 hours and I still have to take a nap late in the afternoon. On a normal week I will probably exercise 4 times - weighttraining twice, swimming once and maybe some other cardio like cycling once aswell. But since I started on Iso, I have only trained once, and that was just some very light weighttraining. I don't have alot of energy at the moment, but I definately have to do more exercise. At least twice a week from now on!

Day 17

Finally some improvement :D

I think my acne pretty much peaked as I wrote the previous post. I remember looking at myself in the mirror and felling down about the whole thing, but a mere 2-3 hours later I looked again, and I could see drastic improvement! It was almost like the Iso won the big, decisive battle right there, and now only smaller fights remain. You could almost see those red spots shrivel and dry completely. The improvement has pretty much continued ever since, slowly... ever so slowly, but it's improvement none the less. My skin still doesn't look good by any means, but finally I feel like it's going in the right direction.

I get maybe one or two small whiteheads a day, and all the red marks are graduately fading. I only have one active/painful spot at the moment compared to a dozen last time I posted.

Still things flare up alot when I shave. That's nothing new I guess. I always shave in the evening anyway, so that my skin will have the night to recover somewhat. But the flaring seems a bit worse now that I'm on Iso.

Also I have noticed alot of really small blackheads on the sides of my nose. They almost appear to be pushed out by some strange force. Looks weird. But I've read about similar things in other tane logs in here, so I guess it just means that the medicin is doing its job.

The sideeffects are pretty much the same. Skin and scalp are somewhat dry but less itchy than before, thank goodness. Lips are very dry (Vaseline was definately a good investment as normal lipbalm/chapstick, or whatever it is called in english, doesn't seem to do alot). I seem a bit fresher these days. Maybe it's because my mood is up a notch. Also the weather has been beautiful lately - that usually helps on my energy level.

Oh... and I drank my first beer while on iso the other evening. I was the stadium watching a football game (we won 2-1, Yay!) with my brother, and we usually have a beer or two during the game (unless it's cold, then we have coffee). As long as it is just one beer, and I don't do it very frequent, I guess it won't do much harm.

That's all for now. Have a great weekend everyone.

Day 21

Things are still improving! :D

I don't have any active ones at the moment, only fading red marks from old ones. Actually, my skin looks pretty good right now. By no means perfect, but soooo much better than a week ago. I am definately feeling alot better about myself already. The other day this über gorgeous woman smiled to me in the elevator, and all of a sudden I remembered: hey, I'm actually not a bad looking guy. I seem to have forgotten that in the last couple of years. But I guess it's no surprise that confidence and self-esteem are some of the first things to go when acne really sets in.

I hope things will continue to go in the right direction.

Side effects are still the same. Dryness and a bit more tired and sleepy than usual, but so far it really hasn't been too bad.

I'm going to my derm this friday. I suppose he'll up my dose if blood tests turn out allright.

That's all for now. Take care everyone.

That's awesome that you are seeing improvment! I hope at my 21-day mark I'll be in the same boat. :) Just need to get through this week...

That's awesome that you are seeing improvment! I hope at my 21-day mark I'll be in the same boat. :) Just need to get through this week...

Hi scoligirl,

thank you for posting. Yes, I am quite happy about the way things seem to be going at the moment. I really hope you will experience the same improvement in the next week or so. So far the medicine has worked wonderfully, and my only regret is that I didn't try it out years ago. The sideeffects haven't really been a problem for me, so if they don't get alot worse than this, all my concerns seems just to have prevented me for actually getting clear skin for years.

Day 24

Skin is still looking good. Perhaps even better that last time I postet. I haven't had a single whitehead since then, but the red marks seem to take their time disappearing. But it really isn't that bad. Actually, I can't remember when my skin looked this good. I'm like 90-95% clear right now.

For the last... god knows how many years, I have used a coverstick on the spots before going outside among people. Now, I've never felt particullary macho about using this sort of... well, make-up basically, but I definitely don't have a problem swallowing a bit of pride when it comes to looking and feeling better about myself. I have gotten completely used to just having it in my pocket, if an "emergency" should happen. But in the last days I have neither used it nor brought it with me. Actually that's a kinda big thing for me. It just occured to me: maybe I won't ever need it again. Maybe it'll never look any worse than this.

I really, really hope so.

Sideeffects:

Dryness is still at the same level, maybe even more dandruff. Also, I am still sleeping a bit more than I would usually - maybe -1 hour more per day. The last couple of nights I have noticed a little bit of back pain. It's like only the first 10 minutes after I go to bed, then it goes away, and it's only a little tiny bit sore. So it is definitely not a problem yet.

As I have mentioned earlier, I swim once a week. It's not exactly at a very high level, but I think I would like to start doing some triathlon in a not to distant future, so I need to improve my swimming technique ALOT. Anyway, I recently joined a club and my team only train once a week, which suits me fine. The last two weeks, however, I didn't show up for training, and in all honesty, it was due to my nasty IB. I just didn't feel like being around other people. But yesterday I showed up again. Our coach made us do a short relay race (I think it is called) towards the end of the session. My team won, twice :dance: Yay for us. Then the session was over and I went for the shower. I passed a mirror in the shower and noticed I had blood in my face. Oh, crap, I thought, it must be nosebleed from sprinting 100%. I haven't gotten a nosebleed since I was like 13 (football kicked hard in the face) but I have read about many in here getting it from the medicine. Anyway, I washed the blood of my face and went for the sauna. After a couple of minutes in there I noticed blood on the floor under me. I looked at my right hand and it was bleeding from three places - the first joint on my middle-, ring-, and littlefinger. It looked like it had been sliced with a knife :boohoo: . Many people complain about the skin being very weak while on this drug, and I guess I must have hit the edge of the pool somewhat hard when finishing the race. There wasn't any pain at all, but apparently it was enough to break the skin in three places.

Also, when our coach gives us instructions in the one end of the pool, I tend to have my swim googles in my forehead. That way it's easier to have eyecontact. Well, just before going to bed, I noticed a quite distinct impression of my swim googles on my forehead. Not just a mark, it wasn't really red or anything, but it was deep! When running a fingertip across my forehead, I could clearly feel that the surface was lower or deeper where the mark was. And it was like 6 hours after I had been swimming. Also I don't think I had my googles in my forehead more than 2-3 minutes during the whole training session.

I guess your skin really gets weak and loses some elasticity on this stuff.

Oh, and I was at the derm yesterday. He just prescribed some more iso. He didn't say anything about dosage, but apparently I'll stay on the same dosage (40 mg/day). That's what the prescription says anyway.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Over and out.

Congrats on your progress. I have been doing the same things as you since my skin took a turn for the worst. I have fortunately been blessed with a nice head of hair so when I go out I tend to wear it down and let it hide any bad breakouts on my cheeks and temples. My dermatologist even pointed out that she noticed I do it- and that it works! :P It just sucks that we have to do things like that to begin with. It is horrible on the self esteem. Many people don't understand how bad it feels emotionally.

I am really happy for you and hope that all of us can see results like you are seeing. You seem to have a really good positive outlook about it and I'm sure that probably helps as well. Good luck with the remainder of your course. I'll be checking this thread regularly :)

Congrats on your progress. I have been doing the same things as you since my skin took a turn for the worst. I have fortunately been blessed with a nice head of hair so when I go out I tend to wear it down and let it hide any bad breakouts on my cheeks and temples. My dermatologist even pointed out that she noticed I do it- and that it works! :P It just sucks that we have to do things like that to begin with. It is horrible on the self esteem. Many people don't understand how bad it feels emotionally.

I am really happy for you and hope that all of us can see results like you are seeing. You seem to have a really good positive outlook about it and I'm sure that probably helps as well. Good luck with the remainder of your course. I'll be checking this thread regularly :)

Thank you for your post, ohigyuz. Yes, all those things we have to do really suck. The most scary thing about it, however, is that I have pretty much grown accustomed to them. Staying home eventhough you want to go out, coming up with lame excuses for not meeting your friends and family, spending hours on problems because you don't wanna leave your own office and go upstairs and just ask some colleagues for help (in particular hot female colleagues :blush:). It almost seemed normal to me. It's so stupid. I didn't use to be like that, but the last year or so, my skin has just looked awfull and it has been affecting me alot. Way too much, actually.

But yes, now things are looking better, and hopefully they will continue to improve. I hope you will expericence the same quick results I have.

sounds awesome keep up the work mate

Thanks alot, mate. I'm almost afraid of saying it due to hybris, but so far the medicine has worked excellently and the sideeffects are minimal. I had really tried to prepare myself mentally for half a year of pure Isotretinoin induced horror, but so far it's been easy peasy.

All the best to you.

Day 28

Not alot to report. Skin is looking pretty much the same. I got a mediumsized zit just below the jawline the other day. I popped it and it seems to be fading nicely. The other red marks haven't really changed, unfortunately, but as long as the overall condition doesn't seem to worsen, I'm quite happy about it. I went to the pharmacy the other day to get a new round of Iso, but they were all out. They told me they could have it in a couple of hours. Since it was my day off, and the weather was absolutely beautiful, I decided to go for a long walk and then pick up the medicine. Well, I did go for a long walk and enjoyed it immensely, but as I was sitting on a parkbench enjoying the warmth of the sun on my face, I suddently remembered you're supposed to use sunblock while on this stuff, otherwise you'll get a sunburn really easily. Oh crap, I had been out in the sun for 2-3 hours, and I had completely forgotten to apply sunblock before going out. But fortunately, my face only got a teensy weensy bit red.

Sides: Lips are even more dry these days. I think I'm applying vaseline around ten times a day. Also I'm a bit more thirsty. I drank around 1.5 liter milk shortly before going to bed yesterday. Guess who had to get up during the night. I was so thirsty.

I haven't had any back soreness since my last post, but I still decided to avoid heavy lifts when working out anyway. So there will be no deadlifting or really heavy barbell rows til I'm off the Iso. I'll just do some hi-rep stuff instead.

Have a nice day, everyone.

have u tried cutting out cow milk and dairy products before isotretinoin? i was still getting acne after isotretinoin. turns out cutting out all cow milk and dairy stopped my acne for good. its the androgen hormones in milk that cause acne, not the milk itself. i know danes are heavy on the dairy products. one reason that you are all so tall.

Hi Anl,

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your course.

I have suffered from severe acne nearly half my life also, I am 21 and have had this disease for 9 years. I am on day 10 of my accutane course.

If you ever need to chat let me know and congratulations on your progress.

Carmen

have u tried cutting out cow milk and dairy products before isotretinoin? i was still getting acne after isotretinoin. turns out cutting out all cow milk and dairy stopped my acne for good. its the androgen hormones in milk that cause acne, not the milk itself. i know danes are heavy on the dairy products. one reason that you are all so tall.

Hi mooshoo,

I have heard that milk could cause acne before, and I did actually cut out milk and dairy products completely from my diet for... I can't remember exactly how long, but I think it must have been around 5 or 6 months. That was about a year ago. But it did not have any positive effect on my acne whatsoever. Actually, it pretty much escalated in that peroid. Some 4-5 years ago I drank grotesque amounts of milk a day, and during that period my skin looked pretty good. So I don't think the milk has anything to do with it.

I have also read that milk can contain traces of hormones, medicine, and toxins. However, that is, as far as I know, mostly in non-EU contries that they have these problems. I know that in the EU in general, and Denmark in particular, the milk is tested thoughroughly and there are strict limits to what the milk is allowed to contain.

But it's true, we are heavy on dairy products. I happen to love milk and I drink at least half a liter of ecological low fat milk a day. I think it's a great source of protein and calcium. And it tastes great too :drool: I would hate to give that up again.

Hi Anl,

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your course.

I have suffered from severe acne nearly half my life also, I am 21 and have had this disease for 9 years. I am on day 10 of my accutane course.

If you ever need to chat let me know and congratulations on your progress.

Carmen

Hi Carmen,

Thank you for the kind words. Well, you're a couple of weeks after me then. I really wish now that I had started on this medicine when I was at your age. I spent far too much time in my twenties feeling crappy about myself because of my skin. Hopefully you can avoid that. Best of luck to you too.

Day 30

Minor setback. I woke up to three spots just below my lower lip this morning :dry: Damn it, I was just starting to like my mirror image. They are not huge or anything, but I'm pretty annoyed by their presence none the less. I'm having a small birthdayparty this weekend, and I was sort of looking forward to seeing my family with a clear(-ish) face. My new friends seem to have run out of juice though, so with a little luck they will have shrivelled somewhat during the next 36 hours.

When I was in the shower after swimtraining today I noticed that my face was pretty red. I then headed for the sauna and spend around 10 minutes in there. Then I got out, and as I passed the mirror in the lockerroom I noticed that my face nolonger was "pretty red" but VERY red, and kinda shiny aswell. My face looked like a waxed apple. Maybe I should skip the sauna next time.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Anl, don't get discouraged- just keep thinking about how much progress you've already made!

Keep posting and keep positive... we're all here to support each other :dance:

Anl, don't get discouraged- just keep thinking about how much progress you've already made!

Keep posting and keep positive... we're all here to support each other :dance:

Hi styles,

Nah, it was just a minor bump on the road to clear skin. I'm still very happy about the results so far.

Well, I haven't posted here for some weeks now. I think this is day 53 on Isotretinoin and there is not too much to report. I still get one or two pimples a week, but they are pretty small and disappear quickly. So basically I'm almost clear these days, but then again I'm not. I don't have any active ones but I still have quite a few red marks and patches that just wont go away. Actually a couple of the marks are from before I started on iso. I don't know if it's realistic to hope they'll disappear while I'm on this stuff. But again, I'm pretty happy about the result so far. I know alot of people have it far worse than I do while on this drug.

Sides:

Pretty much the same. I still use alot of chapstick and vaseline on my lips, but to tell you the truth, I think my skin is less dry than it was pre-iso. I know it sounds strange but it sure feels like it's less dry than before. My shoulder has started making some crunching noises when I lift weights, eventhough both volume and intensity are much, much lower than usual, so I have started doing some rotator cuff exercises aswell. Most people who lift weights regularly know the importance of rotator cuff exercises to stay injuryfree, but I haven't given that much thought lately as my training has been neither heavy nor frequent for quite some time.

Also I have started on a six week pushups program that promise I should be able to squeeze out 100 reps at the end. We'll see how that goes. In that way I don't do any heavy lifting involving my shoulderjoint, and still do a minimum of exercise anyway.

Oh, and think I have gotten a wrinkle on my left cheek. I haven't noticed it before so I'm pretty sure it is an iso-induced wrinkle. Also my 'worry lines' on my forehead seem a bit deeper now. Maybe it'll go back to its normal level once I go off this drug, maybe not. It doesn't really concern me. I don't think anyone but me has noticed, as it is really a quite subtle change.

I ran out of pills this friday but tomorrow I have an appointment at my derm and will get a new presciption there. I have taken 40 mg/day for two months now and it has worked wonderfully so far, so my guess is that he'll keep me on that dose. That is sort of what I hope anyway, as the side effects have been minimal or at least much, much less than I had anticipated/feared.

Take care everyone.

Hi there,

Well this must be day 80 or something... almost 3 months into the course and almost half way through. My derm has kept me on 40 mg/day - he said that the normal dose for someone my size is either 40 mg/day for 6 months or 60 mg/day for 4 months. He would usually recommend the former as the side effects are less noticeable. It is my impression from reading logs in here, that the normal dose given (at least by american derms) is a lot higher. But I'm glad I'm on a lower dose, as the side effects are few and results are still great.

Status is pretty much the same - actually even a bit better, which is awesome. I get maybe one zit every 2-3 weeks, but it will fade and disappear quickly. I still have a few red marks and redish areas, but it's no biggie. I may not have perfect skin, and I maybe never will, but this is definitely something I can live with. In general I'm very, very happy with the results. I definitely feel way more confident these days than a mere couple of months ago. Even right after shaving my skin still looks good. I can now shave in the morning before going to work, and not worry about bleeding and flaring up terribly.

Sides:

Lips are a bit dry, nothing major. I have gotten completly used to applying chapstick every other hour or so. A great thing about the side effects is, that I don't have to wash my hair very often. Usually I would do it every day, but now it's only twice a week or so. My scalp really appreciates it. Back and shoulders are a bit sore every now and then. Again, nothing major.

I was a bit suprised in the beginning of the course when I found out that my level of cholesterole was a bit high, albeit within the "normal interval". At the second bloodtest, my cholesterole level had risen a wee bit, which meant that I now am above the normal level. Whether it is due to the Isotretinoin is impossible to say with only two tests, but it's a good thing to have in the back of ones mind. Maybe I need to change my diet a bit.

Still, as I have stated before, I am very happy about the results :D

That's all for now. Take care everyone.

I am so happy to read accutane is doing it's job and you are seeing good results. The complete accutane course can be a real roller coaster ride, but well worth it in the end. I hope it continues getting better for you and never comes back. Enjoy your clear skin and best of luck.

Blue Strawberry and Persisted:

Thank you guys for kind words. Isotretinoin is definately a winner in my book.

A short update:

It has now been 4 months and 10 days since I started on iso and things are still going great. There isn't really that much to add. My skin looks pretty good eventhough I still have a few small red marks left. I also still get a minor zit every 2-3 weeks, but it'll fade and disappear quickly (as in 2-3 days or so). So my skin isn't perfect yet, just pretty good, but I'm still overjoyed with the results.

One thing I forgot to mention in this log is my backacne. It never bothered me too much as I used a cream called Skinoren, which took care of it completely, it just had no effect on my face. Anyway, I haven't used Skinoren since I started on Isotretinoin and the acne on my back hasn't returned. Yay! Usually it would return graduately after one to two weeks if I stopped using the creme.

Concerning sideeffects, things are also the same: dry lips and every now and then minor joint pain. No biggie.

So... less than two months left on this drug, my confidence is up again, got a new and wonderful girlfriend. Life doesn't seem too bad a the moment :)

Hi Anl,

how did this story end? I begin taking Iso 20 mg/day in two days, and am quite scared by all the terrible side effects I have read about! How did it work for you in the long run?

Hope everything is cool with you! :)