Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zero

Protein and acne

It didnt say anything about protein but it said calories might cause a break out....but I am not going on a weight gaining diet...I want to know if adding alot of protein to my diet will cause me to break out........

absolutly not. when i started this regiman 6 monthes i also started working out, and of course up'd my calorie intake to about 3500-4000, and TONNES of protien. My face cleared up nicely. Are u worried about protien=acne because your starting to workout???

I'd beg to differ. After trial and error over many years. I've found eating a surplus of animal proteins DOES contribute to my acne, Of course chances are it is not likely the sole cause, but it does seem to aggrevate my acne, and most noticeably, When I'm on a high protein diet, whether i'm working out or not, Bacne, and Butt Acne, seems to appear. Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, will help your body better digest protein enzymes. This doesn't mean I'm a vegetarian and don't eat meat, It means my diet is centered around fruits and vegetables and grains, and I don't worry about high protein diets any longer. Most people don't realize high protein diets, and ketogenic diets, are extremely hard on the body's internal organs. Your body (skin included) needs carbs, and lots of them to function correctly (brain being a major organ), Yes, your muscles need protein, but the supplement industry, highly over-exaggerates on how much you actually do need. Trying to lose weight by reversing the bodies chemistry, so that it burns fat (Aitkens Diet, Ketogenic), is simply not healthy for the long term.

After all that's been said, I should also point out that ALOT of athletes eat diets rich in protein, and the majority of them most likely do not suffer from acne. The reasoning behind this (rather then strictly being prone to acne through genetics), is because when you are more active your body is ACTIVELY using the extra protein/carbs/fats you are feeding it, If you are a sedentary individual, your body is taking in alot of extra proteins, which it doesn't need, therefore.. the rest is stored as fat, or can potentially be secreted through the skin as waste.

Cheers

First off, who goes on high protien diets and doesnt workout? Thats very pointless and yes can lead to small health problems. I would agree the body needs carbs, but people who workout by no means do not eat carbs. We eat everything, usually maintaining a 40/40/20 split, meaning 40% calories come from protien and 40% from carbs and 20% from fats, usually EFA (essential fatty acids) I use to think my diet was linked to my acne, but I figured it wasnt after I started dan's routine, and my acne has dissapeared after eating a weightlifters diet, which I no longer think diet and acne are related directly. Of course if you sit on the couch and watch TV all day while stuffing your face with cheeseburgers its going to affect your body, and skin of course is part of your body. People dont realize it but eating healthy is the best thing you can do for yourself. Some people also say Creatine is linked to acne, huge bullshit. I eat about 200 grams of protien a day, most people maybe get 100g. It's pretty simple if you eat alot of protien just eat alot more fruit and veggies, a simple fruit smoothie in the morning and a large salad with your supper is plenty.

Oh and i also strongly agree with atkins being unhealthy, especially for brian. It causes the cells to block out fat, but along with everything else to. Apparently the first 2 weeks of that diet you only eat 20g carbs a day, thats barely a peice of bread... stupid, what ever happened to exercise.

I've been working out heavily for a year now and it had never affected my acne whatsoever. But I usually take the low carb proteins and not weight gainers with heavy calories in them.