Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
*Model.Me

To Dianette Or Not To Dianette, That Is The Question...

Hey guys,

So I've been on Yasmin for 3 months now, in desperate hope to improve the despicable condition of my skin... Not only has this pill not helped my acne, it made me very depressed, made my skin worse somewhat, I went through 3 months of hell - now I have horrible red marks & more acne to remind me of the horrific experience I've had to put up with! My GP decided to switch me to Dianette which will supposedly clear up the problem, especially the cysts on the jawline. I was ok with it when I was discussing it with my GP but now I'm really scared to start it because of all the negative reviews I've read.. I'm really worried that I'm gonna break out madly and become depressed again just before I start university :( I want to be confident in making new friends and my acne isn't going to help the situation... This is such a nightmare, somebody please help!

Hi I have been taking dianette for nearly a year now. I don't have any problems with my skin now but I still come on the site occasionally because I'm conscious dianette is only a treatment and not a cure and I'll have to come off it soon.

I'm guessing you're quite young as you're about to start uni. Well when I started the D my skin did get a lot worse and I think that might be the case with any pill because if you're sensitive to hormones thats what causes acne so in the short term you'll probably break out badly with any pill. It peaked at about 3 months and at around 4 months I was ready to stop taking it and give up. However you need to give it time and it may be that you haven't given your present pill enough time and don't listne to docs cos my doc said there is no way dianette could make my skin worse. But it did. Initially. The bad news is this went on a long time. At about 4 months she prescribed duac which helped a lot. Its difficult to say when it started to get better as I was using duac but I'd probably say 6 months. A year on my skin is trouble free. So I'd say if you have real problem skin ask for an antibiotic or something else initially.

Don't be put off by negative reviews though. It has high oestrogen which is the health concern but if you are young that shouldn't be a problem and people who are happy tend not to leave reviews... so you're only seeing the negative and no way of knowing what any other factors are involved.

The depression is a tricky one but coming off and on a pill causes real highs and lows so bear that in mind because it tends to even out.

I would say you need to give it 6 months and good luck!

Same thing happened to me, only I was on YAZ. It made my skin AWFUL. But now I take zovia 1/35 and skip the placebo week (don't have my period) and I am 100% clear.

I went from cystic acne to clear skin in 2 months.

Seriously, drsp is fucking evil.

I'm wondering if anyone on here actually likes Yasmin/YAZ??

PleeeeeeeeeeasE try spironolactone before diane35. It is much safer and will do the same thing. Most acne is effected more by androgens then estrogen or progesterone so the last two aren’t really required. Sprio will only block testosterone, with the added bonus of less body hair growth, lower sodium levels(live longer), and no risk of blood clots or stroke. You can if you wish then take birth control (not diane35 obviously) which may help additionally. I take 50mg of spiro twice daily.

Hi Butterfly

Just wondering how long you've been on Spiro and when it really started working for you. Ive just finished month 4 and so see improvement but not very significant

Im also on Diane (started it 6 months ago)

Thanks!

Noura

Noura,

How much spiro are you taking? I found that if I take any less then 100mg daily that I will start to get oily and break out in about a week. I've actually only been on spiro for 3 months but I was taking a much stronger form of Diane (Androcure) without the estrogen in it beforehand. I had to switch from that to spiro because I am transsexual and have gone through surgical reassignment to female so I lack the ability to produce testosterone as a male would, so I had to switch to a safer drug for my acne - that being spiro. I started to breakout again without taking any anti-androgen a few months after the operation, but spiro cleared me up again in about a month.

Because you are taking both diane35 and spiro together if you haven’t seen a pretty dramatic improvement I would think that your acne isn't hormone related.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the quick reply. Im on 150mgs of spiro. Have been on it for 4months now (was on 100mg until a month ago though) and on the Diane for 6 months. My doctor said it might take up to 6 months to see results. Im currently definitely breaking out less but have also started low dose accutane 2 months ago (I know so many drugs in my system right now!). Not too sure what is doing what. I did get diagnosed with polycystic ovrian syndrome so my doc believes me acne is def hormonal. When I started accutane at the 2 months mark of Spiro, I was just soo worried that I'd give spiro the full 6 months and be let down and start from square one

Hopefully the spiro is kicking in since I'll stay on it even after Im done with the accutane

Heyy everyone, thanks for your replies..

Butterfly, I was actually considering Spiro before my GP suggested Dianette. I wanted to know if you've had any of the negative side effects on Spiro that Yasmin had given me. i.e: mood swings, depression, sugar cravings etc.. Did you gain any weight? And was there an initial breakout? I think the initial breakout is what I'm most worried about - my skin is actually alot clearer now than it was about 2 months ago. I went on holiday and the sun worked like MAGIC. I think I've been hurt so deeply by this whole acne issue, that if I get an initial breakout, I'll have a breakdown. No joke. I really can't cope with it anymore :(

Suzy, I agree, Yasmin is effing evil - it literally made my life hell for 3 months, changed my personality and wrecked relationships with family and friends. What is Zovia's job? And what are the active ingredients? Do you think I can get hold of it in the UK? I'm happy you found something that works for you girl... :dance:

I hated Dianette- I gained lots of weight, started to feel depressed, and no impact on my skin. It is so strong that it isn't even allowed in the US. I then went on Yasmin and loved it- but I know bc work differently for different people. I've been on spiro for the last 3 years- it is wonderful! It took 4 months to work (and the doctor increased my dosed in between), and since then I've had perfect skin.... I am down to 25 mg a day, from 200 a year ago. I feel wonderful!

I was on Dianette for six months. It helped a lot with my skin, though I was never totally clear...but still, it was a HUGE improvement! I stopped taking it recently because it was having horrible effects on my moods - there were times when I was actually feeling suicidal. My GP gave me a prescription for Marvelon, which I've now been taking for nearly two weeks and my skin is still quite good...perhaps even a little better than it was on Dianette. I know not everyone is affected by Dianette in the way I was so I wouldn't say that you definitely shoudln't try it...but you should definitely keep an eye on your moods and also, give it at least three months to work for your skin :)

i have been put on birth control, yasmin, for my skin, it hasnt really improved, maybe slightly, its been 2 months. it can take much longer for your hormones to balance out though. my doctor told me it would be at least 4 months-ish, so dont give up too quickly, good luck x

have been readng with interest. i am from the UK - never had any acne as a teenager (wish I'd had it out of the way then though). Just had the usual odd spot here and there. Then suddenly 3 years ago, I went to bed, woke up and discovered my whole forehead had 'under skin spots' which broke out a couple of days later. Mortified. my job involves meeting people a lot and I was so embarrassed. Went straight to the GP, they prescribed an antobiotic cream. Used for 2 months, didn't work, and because it had peoxide in it stained all my bed sheets and towels (thanks for that!). Went back again, was prescribed Dianette. Within 3 months my whole face had cleared. Was on it for over 2 years, with just the odd spot that most normal people get every month which I was fine about.

Then i moved house and moved to a different GP. She was reluctant to prescribe me Dianette again and told me of liver problems you can get. I convinced her otherwise and she prescribed it for 2 more months. The next time though she put me on Microgynon. Took it for 2 months, broke out on my chin and lower forehead. Went back puposefully with no makeup on (!) and then got prescribed Yasmin. Been taking it almost 3 months and have to go to the GP next week. My skin is maginally better, but only really in the last week. I have red scars (like little dots - what are they called?) where spots used to be - is there a way to get rid of these?

And should I perservere and get another precription of Yasmin or ask to be put back on Dianette again next week? Any suggestions would be lovely.