Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deGuru

SOY IS BAD!!!! Unhealthy!

oh and can I just point out that people often recommend birth control pills to control acne, which contain artificial estrogens and progestins in a much higher concentration than any reasonable dietary amount of soy. BCP is a whole lot worse than soy in my opinion...

For those of use that use hormonal BC for general hormonal symptom regulations, it is a Godsend- unless 10+ days of misery out of every month like I used to have is something you're interested in- you know, searing migraines, crippling cramps, etc. The thing with hormonal BC is that its effects are more well-known than phytoestrogens. Studies on phytoestrogens are inconclusive. For many, soy can be a migraine trigger. The benefit of hormonal BC is that it keeps hormones regulated and steady, while an addition of soy can put things out of whack.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the reason that soy is so terrible for people with acne: It is one of the most mucus-producing foods for the body. That's right. Let's think about what other foods produce a high amount of mucus in the digestive track and glands. There's dairy and wheat, both of which are widely accepted as acne triggers. The more mucus, the more candida and parasites can hide in the digestive track which disrupts the beneficial bacteria and leads to leaky gut.

Secondly, does anyone know the amount of time it takes to cook soybeans. It takes 3 hours. That's three times as long as it takes to cook other beans. The cook time is important, because it demonstrates how difficult it is to convert soy to a "digestable" form. Imagine how long it takes the body to digest soy. It stays in the digestive track relatively long compared to even grains!

Finally, there's a reason that the cattle industry has turned to soy to fatten cattle. It's the cheapest feed and lasts the longest in the cows gut. It's all about profit and soy-feed leads to the biggest profit for farmers. BTW, the cheapest form of feed is usually not the most healthy. Grains are cheaper than most vegetables and fruit, and they are not healthier than either. People in China claim that they don't consume a lot of soy, but really their entire cattle industry is the based on soy-feed. (China has become the largest importer of soy, and parts of the Amazon rainforest are actually being destroyed by Brazilian farmers to produce soybeans to export to specifically China--not to feed people but to feed cows.)

oh and can I just point out that people often recommend birth control pills to control acne, which contain artificial estrogens and progestins in a much higher concentration than any reasonable dietary amount of soy. BCP is a whole lot worse than soy in my opinion...

For those of use that use hormonal BC for general hormonal symptom regulations, it is a Godsend- unless 10+ days of misery out of every month like I used to have is something you're interested in- you know, searing migraines, crippling cramps, etc. The thing with hormonal BC is that its effects are more well-known than phytoestrogens. Studies on phytoestrogens are inconclusive. For many, soy can be a migraine trigger. The benefit of hormonal BC is that it keeps hormones regulated and steady, while an addition of soy can put things out of whack.

I hear ya, that's no fun. I was on BCP for a while for irregular and somewhat unpleasant periods (not nearly as bad as what you describe)...it never helped my acne and I decided to come off of it when I developed (benign) breast cysts...I can't say for sure that the BCP caused the cysts but they have shrunk considerably/almost gone away since I've been off of it. I haven't changed anything else aside from switching from dairy to soy...so at least from my experience it seems like soy does not effect me in the same ways as BCP...

Anyway, I think there are some cases (like yours) where BCP is almost necessary, but don't be fooled, it doesn't balance your hormones. As soon as you come off of it, you'll be more unbalanced than you would have otherwise been. There is also a strong link between BCP and breast cancer, but no one wants to admit it because the drug companies are making a nice profit. But I understand that in some cases when nothing else works to make things bearable, it might be worth the risks. However I personally don't think it's a good solution for acne (esp. if you don't have other bad symptoms), but if it works it works I guess.

I know that plant based hormones are different from the artificial hormones in BCP, but my impression was that they were actually weaker and less harmful. Can the poster who mentioned this point explain why they might be more harmful than BCP?? Also, soy is not unique in it's phytoestrogen content, what about flax seeds, chicpeas, lentils, nuts, wheat, berries etc?

The point about digestion and mucous production is interesting, but I still have to say that in the almost 8 months that I've been consuming soy on a regular basis, I can honestly say it does not contribute to my breakouts while dairy DEFINITELY does (I've tested it a couple of times)...I guess everyone is different. I definitely agree that it's not a good idea to consume a ton of soy, but I still can't see why a cup or two a day will hurt me given other healthy lifestyle choices.

Soy does get a beating hear and there, but just like the organic and processed food argument, comes the debate if it is healthy or not. Soy is fine if it is not hydrogenated. Same thing goes for milk. If milk is really untouched by any processing means, then milk is actually beneficial. I'll give that organic foods definitely have a higher grade of quality, but the other 50% of the time its a big scam.

Soy does get a beating hear and there, but just like the organic and processed food argument, comes the debate if it is healthy or not. Soy is fine if it is not hydrogenated. Same thing goes for milk. If milk is really untouched by any processing means, then milk is actually beneficial. I'll give that organic foods definitely have a higher grade of quality, but the other 50% of the time its a big scam.

Big scam for the environment? The workers who deal hands on with it? For us and our bodies? Do some research, please.

Big scam for the environment? The workers who deal hands on with it? For us and our bodies? Do some research, please.

I would like to give my reply and opinion on this soy thing. soy is not bad in my opinion. If used in excess i think it can cause imbalances in your body. anything processed can . or herbal or natural. we all need balance. balance is healthy. anyhow Asians

may not eat alot of soy. the amount is based on an individual basis. we eat it for flavor and baking. the milk is not always consumed at least in my house as we dont favor the breakfast that is sweet like a cereal cuz my family never cooks that stuff. we just eat left overs at lunch if we are hungry or tea and eggs or something. i think if white people who eat soy are breaking out maybe u are eating sugary soy milk or eating with a sweet or wheat cereal, like many of my friends do. also the soy milk at our market is not sweet like the other kinds at vons . some may have an allergy. that could be why.

or eating too much.

also high meat consumption , im saying meat all the time with every meal is linked to many cancers, diseases and heart attacks. many many studies indicate this. even breast cancer is influenced by meat. even lean meats. the best way is to eat plant based foods that are high in natural vitamin a . also small amounts of meat in the diet as to a condiment.

another thing....being taller is not always better as the tallest man in the world died an early death. shorter people may be optimal for their habitat. anyhow what Asians are doing is living without more cancers and living much longer than there us friends. yes. what we eat mostly is seafood. and rice and carbs. the fish in my diet heavily influenced my acne for the bad. when i stopped eating so much seafoods my skin cleared up alot. and now i only have a few pimples on my chin instead of all over my face. soy if personally have a problem with soy it is bad for u. maybe not for everyone else. like fish was bad for me , but maybe not for others.

This is totally false.

If you go onto the internet you can find articles dicussing points of view on anything.

I have found medical articles saying that meat is unnatural for humans to eat in this day and age, ones that say that the body only needs 17g of protein a day compared to others saying 70g.

I am a vegan and have been for the past 2 years, yes I have acne but I had it before I became vegan, I live off of soy products and I havent been sick at all

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the reason that soy is so terrible for people with acne: It is one of the most mucus-producing foods for the body. That's right. Let's think about what other foods produce a high amount of mucus in the digestive track and glands. There's dairy and wheat, both of which are widely accepted as acne triggers. The more mucus, the more candida and parasites can hide in the digestive track which disrupts the beneficial bacteria and leads to leaky gut.

You trying to start your own school of medicine?

Secondly, does anyone know the amount of time it takes to cook soybeans. It takes 3 hours. That's three times as long as it takes to cook other beans. The cook time is important, because it demonstrates how difficult it is to convert soy to a "digestable" form. Imagine how long it takes the body to digest soy. It stays in the digestive track relatively long compared to even grains!

Our digestive system doesn't heat up to 100+'C. It's more intricate than that.

Finally, there's a reason that the cattle industry has turned to soy to fatten cattle. It's the cheapest feed and lasts the longest in the cows gut. It's all about profit and soy-feed leads to the biggest profit for farmers. BTW, the cheapest form of feed is usually not the most healthy. Grains are cheaper than most vegetables and fruit, and they are not healthier than either. People in China claim that they don't consume a lot of soy, but really their entire cattle industry is the based on soy-feed. (China has become the largest importer of soy, and parts of the Amazon rainforest are actually being destroyed by Brazilian farmers to produce soybeans to export to specifically China--not to feed people but to feed cows.)

You just wrote a paragraph on cows, well done.

I'm not here to promote soy in any other way but just like everything else, it should be consumed in moderation.

And no, asians don't eat soy 24/7. Just every now and again actually.

Not even the Japanese eat tons of soy, like many claim that they do. Most of their soy intake is in the form of soy sauce, tempeh, and other fermented soy, not the soy protein isolate and soy flour that Americans eat. I lol at vegans who seriously think their soy burgers are healthy...

I love ezekiel bread and cereals .. they added soy beans.

guess i will eat this stuff sometime. , >_> makes my stomach bad.. or it could be whey protein

I having bad gas. :(