Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalSkinCare

Hibiclens- the miracle acne cleanser. that is NOT for face use. but people still use it..

ok so i read about hibiclens on the review portion of this website

so i went ahead and googled "hibiclens acne" and seems like 99.99% of people have success with it its a medical grade antibacterial wash that is meant for people to use on their bodies it even says on the website that its not to be meant for use on the face!

yet people on here use it on their face and so do people on healthboards...

does anyone know about the dangers of using hibiclens on ur face? the antibacterial agent is really strong..

so i went ahead and googled "hibiclens acne" and seems like 99.99% of people have success with it its a medical grade antibacterial wash that is meant for people to use on their bodies it even says on the website that its not to be meant for use on the face!

The webpage I saw says that it's not suitable for the head and face in preoperative situations. In other words, don't put it on your face when it's likely to run back into the eyes when you've been rendered unconscious.

People here have occasionally got it in the eye, and by all accounts it hurts like hell. But not one person has reported any permanent problems from it.

The people that did have problems have all had anesthetics so they couldn't feel it going in their eyes- and yeah, leaving it in your eye for a long period is a bad idea, but the pain will normally stop that from happening.

The webpage I saw says that it's not suitable for the head and face in preoperative situations. In other words, don't put it on your face when it's likely to run back into the eyes when you've been rendered unconscious.

People here have occasionally got it in the eye, and by all accounts it hurts like hell. But not one person has reported any permanent problems from it.

The people that did have problems have all had anesthetics so they couldn't feel it going in their eyes- and yeah, leaving it in your eye for a long period is a bad idea, but the pain will normally stop that from happening.

Do you use it? i wonder how safe it is and if it damages facial skin for the longterm..

the manufacturers specifically state

"s. Hibiclens should not be used for repeated general skin cleansing of large body areas "

using it on ur face would fall under that category..

and not only that i read that even after u wash it off it remains on ur skin

Do you use it?

All the f* time. I've used it for *years*.

i wonder how safe it is and if it damages facial skin for the longterm..

Nah.

"s. Hibiclens should not be used for repeated general skin cleansing of large body areas "

There has been resistance recorded against it. In other words the bugs can adapt to (like most things really). It's not a safety thing. Physicians use it to wash their hands and stuff. You can even drink it, it won't kill you (not recommended due to the other stuff in the wash, but the chlorhexidine definitely won't do you in- it's just not absorbed.)

Yeah, you only have to use it every other day. It's brilliant like that. I alternate with other cleansers. There's very few bugs that can survive multiple different cleansers.

Seriously, nobody has died of this stuff. The only nasty side-effects were in bizarre situations where a surgeon introduced the wrong chemical into their patients eye and left it there- and they ended up needing corneal transplants; but for people washing with the stuff, I've never heard of anyone have a serious reaction here.

Do you use it?

All the f* time. I've used it for *years*.

i wonder how safe it is and if it damages facial skin for the longterm..

Nah.

There has been resistance recorded against it. In other words the bugs can adapt to (like most things really). It's not a safety thing. Physicians use it to wash their hands and stuff. You can even drink it, it won't kill you (not recommended due to the other stuff in the wash, but the chlorhexidine definitely won't do you in- it's just not absorbed.)

Yeah, you only have to use it every other day. It's brilliant like that. I alternate with other cleansers. There's very few bugs that can survive multiple different cleansers.

Seriously, nobody has died of this stuff. The only nasty side-effects were in bizarre situations where a surgeon introduced the wrong chemical into their patients eye and left it there- and they ended up needing corneal transplants; but for people washing with the stuff, I've never heard of anyone have a serious reaction here.

r u completely clear?

i just started on hibiclens only.

was previously on the blotcha regimen.

no new pimples yet, skin looks beautiful (it actually somehow got rid of many marks) and NORMAL now (before i had many visible marks AND acne, now i only have a few dying bumps, hopefully).

if this works, ill be in heaven. its cleared my body acne substantially (2.0% SA did nothing). it is non drying, and i dont need a moisturizer. oil production is at its lowest its ever been (ive noticed that more products = more oiliness).

lets hope it works out. college move in is on the 21st. school starts 25th.

if my skin in two weeks is like it is now, ill be so happy.

edit: oh btw i did extensive research and there has never been resistance recorded against chlorhexidine gluconate. if there was a possibility of resistance, there would be tons of articles about it online, but there arent (going into surgery with infected hands is no joke).

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/166/3/306

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=6870

any article that does talk about resistance says that you "can" develop resistance. i have yet to come across an article that speaks directly about a documented case of resistance (not to mention p acnes are pretty weak compared to other bacteria/fungi).

It's only an antibacterial wash, it's not really a complete acne solution. You can expect it will reduce your acne by maybe 60-70%. If you have mild acne, it might well be enough though.

im hoping it works. ive been clear only three times in my life. once was when i was much younger and had less acne, using BP 10% (antibacterial). another time was with clindamycin phosphate (antibacterial again). the last was using plexion (antibacterial with sulfur).

hopefully this works. it cleared my bacne within 3 days. i had to stop BP because it wasnt good enough once a day, clindamycin because of resistance, and plexion because of resistance as well.

How long did it take to remove your marks? Where were they and how often did you use it?

im hoping it works. ive been clear only three times in my life. once was when i was much younger and had less acne, using BP 10% (antibacterial). another time was with clindamycin phosphate (antibacterial again). the last was using plexion (antibacterial with sulfur).

hopefully this works. it cleared my bacne within 3 days. i had to stop BP because it wasnt good enough once a day, clindamycin because of resistance, and plexion because of resistance as well.

im actually debating if it was the blotcha regimen products (2% SA cleanser and 10% BP cleanser) or this that remove/lightened my marks.

they were mostly along my jaw. i remember shaving about 10 days ago and having a lot. i shaved yesterday and saw a dramatic reduction.

i wouldnt recommend it JUST for marks though. maybe i just got lucky or my skin tinted or something..

I just purchased Hibiclens today and washed my face previously with AHA then used the Hibliclens for 1 minute before rinsing it off. Right now I am experiencing the worst breakout in over 1 year. My acne is resistant to just about everything and right now its nodular and cystic and I have a lot of scarring :cry: . I really hopes this works. Today I skipped dinner barbecue at my boyfriend's house because of the condition of my face, and I hate missing out on so many things...but he totally understands and brought me a plate of food to my house for me to eat :D

BTW, I've tried everything short of accutane.......

Good luck.

One tip: in my experience antibacterials like hibiclens work best with anti-inflammatories.

For example extra-virgin olive oil taken a few times a day seems to help. Get lots of magnesium in your diet, don't OD on the carbohydrates (they're pro-inflammatory).

Good luck.

One tip: in my experience antibacterials like hibiclens work best with anti-inflammatories.

For example extra-virgin olive oil taken a few times a day seems to help. Get lots of magnesium in your diet, don't OD on the carbohydrates (they're pro-inflammatory).

That is a very good tip, i have bad folliculitus of the beard which is resistant to everything. I use both hibicleanse and niacinamide 4%. Very good combo...

Thanks for the advice, I usually take evening primrose oil with zinc but I haven't taken it in a couple of days, I will try incorporating extra virgin olive oil as well. I've used hiblicens twice and I don't notice a difference yet. How long did it take most of you to notice a difference?

Thanks for the advice, I usually take evening primrose oil with zinc but I haven't taken it in a couple of days, I will try incorporating extra virgin olive oil as well. I've used hiblicens twice and I don't notice a difference yet. How long did it take most of you to notice a difference?

Acne treatments like antibacterials usually take a few weeks to really even start to kick in, and they only level off after about 3 months. Hopefully you'll notice *some* change in the next few days to a couple of weeks. But it doesn't do anything for existing spots except help stop them spreading. It only tends to prevents new spots (as with nearly all treatments).

Oh yeah, one important tip. Put it on and leave it to soak in for a few minutes, then rinse. That makes it work sooo much better... You can use it twice a day, but once a day is probably about as good- it's very long acting as it literally binds to your skin.

i just started on hibiclens only.

was previously on the blotcha regimen.

no new pimples yet, skin looks beautiful (it actually somehow got rid of many marks) and NORMAL now (before i had many visible marks AND acne, now i only have a few dying bumps, hopefully).

if this works, ill be in heaven. its cleared my body acne substantially (2.0% SA did nothing). it is non drying, and i dont need a moisturizer. oil production is at its lowest its ever been (ive noticed that more products = more oiliness).

lets hope it works out. college move in is on the 21st. school starts 25th.

if my skin in two weeks is like it is now, ill be so happy.

edit: oh btw i did extensive research and there has never been resistance recorded against chlorhexidine gluconate. if there was a possibility of resistance, there would be tons of articles about it online, but there arent (going into surgery with infected hands is no joke).

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/166/3/306

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=6870

any article that does talk about resistance says that you "can" develop resistance. i have yet to come across an article that speaks directly about a documented case of resistance (not to mention p acnes are pretty weak compared to other bacteria/fungi).

how is it working out for you???

i was worried about my skin getting resistant to it because i read that ur skin can develop resistance to benzoyl peroxide or clindamycin etc.

i was worried about my skin getting resistant to it because i read that ur skin can develop resistance to benzoyl peroxide or clindamycin etc.

Bacteria can't develop resistance to benzoyl peroxide, it's basically a sort of bleach, but your acne could get worse so that it's no longer enough to give you good clearance.

The antibiotics like clindamycin are different- the bacteria can evolve tricks so that the antibiotic no longer works against them.

hey guys. its been a month now since ive been using hibiclens.

im pretty much clear. i have one big whitehead between my eye/nose and some other dying bumps on my face.

ive pretty much figured out how to use hibiclens. you MUST use it every 6 hours without fail. whenever i use it only in the morning/night, i get breakouts. so i basically wash 4 times a day now...

whatever, i dont think my skin will totally ever be clear on hibiclens. its not because of the fact that it doesnt address clogged pores, and not because its not powerful enough, its just that bacteria activity is quite random.

im looking into trying betadine (apparently kills bacteria better, but doesnt last for 6 hours and stains skin and a new one called techni-care, which apparently beats em both but has to be left on...maybe i could use overnight).

anyways, my skin is to the point where it looks totally normal, and no one would ever comment on the severity of my acne. plus my oiliness is at its lowest (more products ALWAYS increases oiliness), so im not sure i should use anything else.

moreover, i dont need to use a moisturizer. my skin is never dry, only a little tight, but in a healthy way. never any flakes either. in fact, the tightness actually makes my skin look a bit brighter...cant really explain but its true.

so yea, i would recommend using it if you respond well to the dye. a lot of people dont, so you have to figure out for yourself. there is no initial breakout if it works properly. you will be clear within 1-2 weeks if its working.

im still debating if the dye is irritating my skin just a tiny bit. i know for certain that certain shower soaps give me acne, so its plausible that hibiclens may be as well. i looked for a 4% solution w/o dye, but it just doesnt exist.

i would leave the hibiclens on overnight, but 1) im scared it may irritate my face and 2) will probably get in my eyes.

another thing...a lot of people are worried that they may go blind or deaf. first of all, you can only go deaf if you have a punctured eardrum and hibiclens gets in your inner ear. obviously you can tell if your eardrum is punctured, so thats not a problem. now, for your eyes, you can feel when any of it gets in your eyes. just wash it out thoroughly if it ever happens.

short term eye contact with chlorhexidine gluconate wont do anything. the warning is only posted because apparently surgeons got some in patients' eyes and it remained in there for several hours since well the patients were knocked out and obviously couldnt tell anyone something was in their eyes.

cheers =)

edit: also i must add when washing your face with it, just keep rubbing for 2+ minutes.

im going to try 4 times a day for 3-5 minutes at a time and see what happens. the possibilities are more bacteria killing and more irritation. hopefully there isnt more irritation...

also, you have to decide for yourselves whether hibiclens will be a "miracle" cleanser or not. only after years of data and personal research was i able to decide this. imagine dropping an entire regimen of cleansers/topicals/moisturizers and just using ONE cleanser a few times a day. sounds scary, doesnt it? well i was confident when i tried it.

how did i know it would work? well the only times i was clear in my life were when i was using antibacterials/antibiotics. clindamycin cleared me totally, but resistance developed. sodium sulfacetemide (plexion) cleared me, but resistance developed. over summer, i tried finacea (weak antibacterial), and it didnt work. then i tried BP once a day and got moderate clearing. then i tried BP washes twice a day and got even better clearing.

it was clear then that the antibacterials were what made all the difference for me. it wasnt about clogged pores and exfoliation.

again, this is only my skin type. thats why hibiclens worked so well for me. you must be your own acne detective and figure out what your problem is exactly by examining what was helped/harmed your face.

and to sum up this lengthy post, i dont think chlorhexidine gluconate can be resisted. there are no documented cases on google, plus its been used in hospitals for years.

thanks for reading. hope you now know everything about hibiclens. ask anymore questions and ill be glad to answer.

edit: popped that fucker. made me realize how gross whiteheads look. and it definitely was an inflamed whitehead since not much stuff came out. fuck bacteria.

Glad it's working. You should try adding an anti-inflammatory as well.

I think niacinamide (I think it was that that people are using) or topical ibuprofen or I've heard reasonably good things about aspirin masks.

Red light treatment (660nm) also is very good.

so i got a bunch of new pimples. i thought it had something to do with dairy or something, but i was wrong.

apparently, you have to scrub with hibiclens for 8 minutes to remove all bacteria according to this chart:

http://www.netpharmacy.de/doc/Compare.htm

so i tried doing that, but it dried my skin a bit because of the prolonged use with the 4% alcohol it has.

also, hibiclens does not penetrate the skin or into closed pores as the chart says. maybe that why i was always getting random new pimples.

anyways, im trying out betadine now. only have to scrub for 3.5 minutes (still a lot, but better than 8), has no alcohol, can penetrate the skin, but only lasts for 3 hours.

i still wanna try the technicare stuff, but i dont feel like ordering anything online right now...

so yea, i would advise you not to use hibiclens anymore. it most certainly can work if you rub it in for 8 minutes, but theres a chance of

1) dry skin

2) irritation; the dye has a 2/5 comedogenic rating and 2/5 irritation rating

3) not working enough because of lack of skin penetration.

so i got a bunch of new pimples. i thought it had something to do with dairy or something, but i was wrong.

apparently, you have to scrub with hibiclens for 8 minutes to remove all bacteria according to this chart:

http://www.netpharmacy.de/doc/Compare.htm

so i tried doing that, but it dried my skin a bit because of the prolonged use with the 4% alcohol it has.

also, hibiclens does not penetrate the skin or into closed pores as the chart says. maybe that why i was always getting random new pimples.

It takes a good three months for any treatment to really work properly. Getting a breakout at about 6 weeks is not uncommon. There's just too many ways that bacteria can hide in/on your skin. Just scrubbing hard is a really bad idea.

You should never scrub, just gently apply it and let it soak in for a few minutes and then rinse. Scrubbing will make existing spots worse, and would be unlikely to make any positive difference. It will also irritate your skin. Irritation/inflammation is thought to be one of the causes of acne, so you're just making it worse for yourself. There's a world of difference to what you need to do when you're looking 3 months out, and when you're trying to clean your hands for the next 30 minutes.

anyways, im trying out betadine now. only have to scrub for 3.5 minutes (still a lot, but better than 8), has no alcohol, can penetrate the skin, but only lasts for 3 hours.

Yeah, but betadine has iodine in it, and it can be poisonous. Also iodine in itself is thought to be a cause of acne in high doses, and betadine can deliver a high dose.