Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
btn21

Starting with retin-a

Hello everyone.

I'm starting with retin-a (0,1%) today, and thought I could post here once in a while to so everyone can see how things are going/

I have a mild/moderate acne. Mixed skin (oily and dry at the same time).

I'm unsure if I should apply the retin-a one or two times a day. I bought the retin-a prescription free (in Macau, close to Hong Kong. I'm a european living in Hong Kong).

I also bought C&C Foaming Facial Wash and Nivea Moisturising Fluid.

This is what I intend to do...

Morning: Wash my face with the face wash, apply the retin-a, wait 30 mins apply the moisturizer.

After work: Wash my face again and apply moisturizer.

Before bed (around midnite): Wash my face, apply retin-a (not going to apply moisturizer the first couple of days to see how it's going)

What do you think?

if you apply retin a twice a day it WILL NOT work any faster than once a day in fact it will most likely completely burn and wreck your skin and make you incredibly dry. i would suggest using it only at night because you will get a wicked sunburn if you have it on during the day without a lot of moisturizer and sunblock.

Thanks for your advice.

I'll go for nite only then.

I've ready your posts, and it seems very good.

I have actually been on retin-a before, and it did clear up my face pretty well. I guess I should never have stopped.

Anyway.... this is the next morning after I started. No difference I would say.

I think I will refer this day to as day 1.

Day 3...

Man this is a bad day... My face is really flaky and dry. I didn't put on anything last nite and not this morning either. I have been using TONS of moisturizer, and I even bring it to work today.

However, my face is better but I think that is normal healing and not because of retin-a.

It is so embarrassing to go to work when your face is like this... it seems like it's gonna fall off any moment :)

Oh well... hopefully it will be better by tonite.

honestly dont expect your skin to look any better for atleast 2 weeks. at that point you may have a week of slight relief which will then lead to a 3 week period of getting lots of zits. THEN, your skin will get better.

Day 7. Actually 8, but since I started so late on tuesday last week I decided to kinda forget that day... :D

As you can see, I applied the retin-a two times a day in the beginning... I stopped that after the 3rd day and had one day break before I started using it before bed only.

My face is a lot better than the day I started but it seems like my face is gonna fall off any moment... flaking.

I guess I should expect my face to get bad again any time soon... at least from what I see in the other stories on the board.

What I usually see, is that my skin is much better in the morning and gets worse during the day... It just because my zits looks more red during the day and not that I got any more.

And it hurts like HELL every time I apply the moisturizer!!!

My face looks like a big red lightbulb after I apply it!

Does anyone have any experience with the moisturizer I'm using?

(Nivea Moisturising Fluid)

Thanks for your input :)

Though I'm not using moisturizer after I've applied retin-a in the nite... I only use the moisturizer during daytime to prevent too much flaking.

using retin A requires a lot of patience, my acne cleared up after 3 months and i was left with nothing but clear skin. Just apply a thin layer nightly and don't forget to use sunscreen spf 30+ during the day. good luck!

sandy69 - for you it took three months for your skin to clear up on retin a micro?? how long was the irritation and breakout period?? i am on week nine of retin a micro 1% and my skin is still really bad!! :)

Day 13

Well... I almost don't have any on for forehead... and I used to have most zits there.

Overall, my face has improved VERY much since I started though I'm fearing that I will get a breakout soon.

I haven't experienced the major breakout people usually get when they're on retin-a... rather it has gotten gradually better with a occational new pimple here and there. But they disappear very fast again.

The scars seems to get much better too... they used to be pinkish but now they have normal skin color and not as deep as they used to be.

And I don't mind going to work since my face isn't flaking so much either.

I'm just waiting for the moment where my gf tells me how nice my face has gotten :)

Anyway, I'm happy with the results the retin-a have done for my skin so far.

All I have to say to those of you on a retin-a cure... go on with it even if you have used it for 2-3 months. Some have fast results, some have slow results. But it works in most cases (at least those derms I've talked to say so). :shock:

Good to hear it's working. Keep at it and you will see results. I have been on it for six months now and I swear my skin has never looked better! I can even go out without any (and I mean ANY make-up) and I am clear. People are amazed. Not to say that my skin was bad before, it just looks extra good. (excuse the grammer!) I would even go so far as to say it looks better than people with "normal" skin. Just keep at it. It took about 4 months to be completely clear. And the thing is you have to use it for the rest of your life practically because it's preventative. I also use BP 2.5 during the day underneath my sunscreen. And as for moisturising, when it got really dry I had to moisturise right after applying the retin-a. Try Neutrogena Sensitive Moisturiser. It doesn't burn as much as others. The flakiness is part of the whole experience I think! But as you can tell from everyone's input, this stuff really works!

Day 24 (I think)

Well... it seems to me like it is pretty much like last time I posted.

I have one pimple between my upper lip and nose, but it's pretty small though (can't really see it unless you're close up).

I have some red spots and the scars are kinda rosy.

However, my skin have been EXTREMELY oily the last week! I've used almost a full pack of blotting paper just this week :D

Hope it will stop soon.

But my skin is definately getting better!