Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fre3ze

Moderate or Severe ?

Hello Everyone

I reside in India and i have been suffering from Acne Vulgaris for the past 1 year.I have attached a few pics and i need help deciding weather my acne is MILD or SEVERE. I have tried Salicyclic Acid 2% Gel and Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Gel but they don't seem to have helped me much. Can anyone suggest me something that actually works ? Any help would be appreciated....Thanks in Advance :)

A Little bit more about myself:

- I exercise regularly.

- I have a multi-vitamin and Fish Oil daily.

- I wash my face 2-3 times a day.

- Initially i thought my acne was a side effect of all the protein supplements, creatine and nitric oxide boosters i used to consume as a part of my bodybuilding regimen but i stopped consuming them now and i still cant see any change.

post-66930-1220524227_thumb.jpg

post-66930-1220524227_thumb.jpg

Your acne seems moderate to me. Have you tried out the DKR, which is the regimen on this board yet?

Yes i did try out the regimen posted in this board for 2 months but with no much success.

What to do? Well, I suggest you go to a derm and get some sort of prescription drug. For how long did you use SA and BP? You might want to switch to a different brand and see if that works better. Then there's all kind of other natural methods you could try, just search trough the acne.org, you'll find them.

I did go to a dermatologist but she didn't give me a prescription drug. She told me to wash my face twice a day with Salicyclic Acid 2% Gel and gave me a cream containing Clindamycin and Nicotinamide to apply at night. I have followed this regimen for 1 month now but i really cant see any results. And i used BP for 2 months before following my new regimen.

Start washing your face two times a day instead of three. Too much can aggrevate acne and make it worse. Also make sure your multivitamin doesnt contain kelp

Do you pick your face or pop your pimples?

Only if i see a VERY big one because i cant go to college with a big pimple on my face.

Haha ok, I feel ya.

What I would suggest right now, since you are looking for a new regimen I suppose, is to change all your current topical products. If they aren't helpng the situation, they won't in the future.

Find a gentle cleanser that suits your skin(oily, dry, combination etc..), and get a BP for spot treatment or clear up your existing acne. I recommend PanOxyl 10% BP gel. It is pretty strong and drying so I suggest using it once every other day and slowing working it up to once or twice a day. What it does is dry up active acne. I've used the 5% one and when I first used it I applied twice a day, which cause my skin to flake ALOT, but it did worked for me.

Remember not to pick at or touch your face as it WILL aggravate your current situation.

EDIT: Dan mentioned that moisturizing is important but I didn't moisturize. It is up to you, since you know your skin best. ;)

I weightlift regularily and an very well versed in supplements. I can assure you your breakouts are not from creatine and nitric oxide. However, if the protein you are taking is a pure whey isolate, that may contribute to your acne. Try switching to a mass gainer (1:1: protein/carb ratio) but decrease the amount consumed in a day. If you notice a change in your acne AFTER 2 weeks you may have had the reaction as I did (whey isolate is overpriced anyways). Stay away from GNC, their brand is no good I used to work for them. Optimum Nutrition or Allmax make great protein. Good luck buddy.

Haha ok, I feel ya.

What I would suggest right now, since you are looking for a new regimen I suppose, is to change all your current topical products. If they aren't helpng the situation, they won't in the future.

Find a gentle cleanser that suits your skin(oily, dry, combination etc..), and get a BP for spot treatment or clear up your existing acne. I recommend PanOxyl 10% BP gel. It is pretty strong and drying so I suggest using it once every other day and slowing working it up to once or twice a day. What it does is dry up active acne. I've used the 5% one and when I first used it I applied twice a day, which cause my skin to flake ALOT, but it did worked for me.

Remember not to pick at or touch your face as it WILL aggravate your current situation.

EDIT: Dan mentioned that moisturizing is important but I didn't moisturize. It is up to you, since you know your skin best. ;)

When i used to apply Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% gel my skin was really dry and flaky which made my face look much more bad than what it is now. So i feel BP 10% is a bit too much for my skin....

I weightlift regularily and an very well versed in supplements. I can assure you your breakouts are not from creatine and nitric oxide. However, if the protein you are taking is a pure whey isolate, that may contribute to your acne. Try switching to a mass gainer (1:1: protein/carb ratio) but decrease the amount consumed in a day. If you notice a change in your acne AFTER 2 weeks you may have had the reaction as I did (whey isolate is overpriced anyways). Stay away from GNC, their brand is no good I used to work for them. Optimum Nutrition or Allmax make great protein. Good luck buddy.

Yes i used to take pure whey protein isolates with had 40g protein and 24g carbs per serving. The thing is that i want a lean physique and my diet has enough carbs already. So taking a mass gainer isn't a good idea. Btw have u tried any soy protein products ? If yes do they contribute to acne ? If they don't i can switch over from whey to soy.

The acne on your cheeks looks moderate, but your forehead would probably fall under the severe category. I'd say you're a fair candidate for Accutane if it's available in India.

Are you gentle when you splash your face with water > cleanse > apply bp ( or something else ) > moisturize ?

I found that I was being to hard with my skin with rubbing and attacking my face with a towel to dry lol. So when you do your regimen, do it very gently like in Dan's videos.

Good luck!

The acne on your cheeks looks moderate, but your forehead would probably fall under the severe category. I'd say you're a fair candidate for Accutane if it's available in India.

My forehead acne is not that bad. Its the pic thats a bit more focused.

Are you gentle when you splash your face with water > cleanse > apply bp ( or something else ) > moisturize ?

I found that I was being to hard with my skin with rubbing and attacking my face with a towel to dry lol. So when you do your regimen, do it very gently like in Dan's videos.

Good luck!

Yes i am pretty gentle with my skin now....I used to be pretty harsh first but not anymore....

However, if the protein you are taking is a pure whey isolate, that may contribute to your acne.

Why do you think pure whey isolates may cause acne? It contains less lactose and thus is more friendly for acne probe people, than whey concentrate.

However, if the protein you are taking is a pure whey isolate, that may contribute to your acne.

Why do you think pure whey isolates may cause acne? It contains less lactose and thus is more friendly for acne probe people, than whey concentrate.

Dairy has been found to be associated with acne flares - one of the theories behind this is the whey proteins contained in dairy (also the hormones and the iodine).

Hello Everyone

I reside in India and i have been suffering from Acne Vulgaris for the past 1 year.I have attached a few pics and i need help deciding weather my acne is MILD or SEVERE. I have tried Salicyclic Acid 2% Gel and Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Gel but they don't seem to have helped me much. Can anyone suggest me something that actually works ? Any help would be appreciated....Thanks in Advance :)

A Little bit more about myself:

- I exercise regularly.

- I have a multi-vitamin and Fish Oil daily.

- I wash my face 2-3 times a day.

- Initially i thought my acne was a side effect of all the protein supplements, creatine and nitric oxide boosters i used to consume as a part of my bodybuilding regimen but i stopped consuming them now and i still cant see any change.

Is there iodine in your multivitamin?

If you want something simple to use The kit that Acnefree makes- Acnefree Severe- works fairly well for an over the counter. I don't know if they have it in India but I'm sure you could get it online and it's not that expensive. I know a few people it's worked well for. Otherwise I would reccomend going back to your doctor. It seems to me you should be able to go on accutane if you want to. Good luck.

your acne is definitely moderate, not severe.

you can easily keep that under control with topicals or antibiotics.

don't gone on accutane.