Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you already take fish oil, gla from borage oil has some equal benefits for inflammation.

DGLA(made from gla) and EPA(from fish oil) compete with AA for access to the cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase enzymes to produce either anti inflammatory eicosanoids or inflammatory eicosanoids. If epa and gla are present in decent quantitys, AA will not be able to have access to these enzymes resulting in less inflammation.The Concept here is fish oil and borage oil go hand in hand to improve inflammation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EFA_to_Eicosanoids.svg

Im sure someone somewhere has mentioned this before, but i rarely see this emphasized.

Also the delta 6 desaturase enzyme relies on B6, zinc and magnesium to turn linoleic acid into gla so thats one more thing you could do to maximize your good inflammatory response, perhaps increase your b6 intake, although just taking borage oil will do you plenty of good.

Great post Auto! :thumbsup: and I agree that borage oil doesn't seem to get discussed on these boards very often.

I always refrigerate after opening a new bottle to prevent it from going rancid. As you mentioned, I've read that evening primrose and black current oils are good as well be neither come close to the amount of GLA borage oil contains.

I started taking borage oil about 1 year ago, and it has made all the difference in the world. Probably the single most effective supplement I take.

There are also studies that when borage oil (or evening primrose oil, anything with GLA), is applied topically to the skin, it inhibits DHT. Inhibiting DHT can mean a reduction in acne (and can help with hair loss and unwanted hair as well. I should start rubbing EPO on my legs, maybe it will make hair grow in extra slow :P)

bump.

I just want more people to see this.

What sort of dosage would you think is effective/safe? I've read a few differing recommendations so far.

in studies for dermatitis i think they took three grams a day not of gla but of either borage or black current so the whole oil, either way i take six a day for now. Ive read studies where people have taken much higher amounts though its just fat so its pretty safe in reasonable doses, so far as anyone knows at the moment.

Do you think 20 days is long enough to notice a difference? Because I ordered some online but they only had bottles for 20 days (3 capsules a day = 300mg of gla in total) in stock.

I got mine from myprotein.co.uk (it's called starflower oil but it's the same thing)... £5 for 20 days supply of £10 for 60 days supply. Is that pretty cheap? If it is then here is the link - - and you can get 5% off your first order using my referral code - MP61160. (I haven't just posted this to get my referral code in - I think it's pretty cheap anyway and why not make it cheaper still for everyone else!).

I always refrigerate after opening a new bottle to prevent it from going rancid.

Yes, refrigerating a new bottle of any product rich in unsaturated fatty acids is STRONGLY recommended, but for extra insurance, I would also add some BHT and ascorbyl palmitate to it. For example, I do all that whenever I open a new bottle of cod liver oil.

BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) is a powerful synthetic fat-soluble antioxidant that's widely used in foods, drugs, and cosmetics. Amounts as tiny as 0.05% (that's NOT 5%, that's only 5/100 of 1%) will help provide powerful protection against oxidation for oils and fats. BHT is available from various sources, and is inexpensive. I recommend getting it from beyond-a-century.com. I even put BHT in the gas can that I use for my lawnmower, to help keep the gasoline from slowly oxidizing and turning into varnish as it sits around on hot summer days! ;)

Ascorbyl palmitate is the fat-soluble form of vitamin C, and will also help provide antioxidant protection for fats and oils. It should have synergistic effects when used along with BHT.

There are also studies that when borage oil (or evening primrose oil, anything with GLA), is applied topically to the skin, it inhibits DHT.

There ARE no studies showing that the topical application of natural oils (borage, evening primrose, black currant, etc.) inhibits 5a-reductase to any significant extent. And the reason for that is very simple: while there are several studies showing that certain unsaturated fatty acids inhibit 5a-reductase to varying degrees, only FREE fatty acids do that! Fatty acids as they occur in natural oils (like the ones I mentioned above) are almost entirely in the form of mono-, di-, and triglycerides. Free fatty acids generally occur in most natural oils in only trace amounts, like maybe a couple per cent or so. That's why applying most natural oils to your skin has no significant effect at reducing DHT.

I always refrigerate after opening a new bottle to prevent it from going rancid.

Yes, refrigerating a new bottle of any product rich in unsaturated fatty acids is STRONGLY recommended, but for extra insurance, I would also add some BHT and ascorbyl palmitate to it. For example, I do all that whenever I open a new bottle of cod liver oil.

BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) is a powerful synthetic fat-soluble antioxidant that's widely used in foods, drugs, and cosmetics. Amounts as tiny as 0.05% (that's NOT 5%, that's only 5/100 of 1%) will help provide powerful protection against oxidation for oils and fats. BHT is available from various sources, and is inexpensive. I recommend getting it from beyond-a-century.com. I even put BHT in the gas can that I use for my lawnmower, to help keep the gasoline from slowly oxidizing and turning into varnish as it sits around on hot summer days! ;)

Ascorbyl palmitate is the fat-soluble form of vitamin C, and will also help provide antioxidant protection for fats and oils. It should have synergistic effects when used along with BHT.

should I do the same with cod liver oil?

should I do the same with cod liver oil?

I think you should do it especially with cod liver oil! :)

I'm pretty sure that fish oils have even greater levels of the highly unsaturated fatty acids like EPA and DHA than plant oils like borage, evening primrose, black currant, etc.

There are also studies that when borage oil (or evening primrose oil, anything with GLA), is applied topically to the skin, it inhibits DHT.

There ARE no studies showing that the topical application of natural oils (borage, evening primrose, black currant, etc.) inhibits 5a-reductase to any significant extent. And the reason for that is very simple: while there are several studies showing that certain unsaturated fatty acids inhibit 5a-reductase to varying degrees, only FREE fatty acids do that! Fatty acids as they occur in natural oils (like the ones I mentioned above) are almost entirely in the form of mono-, di-, and triglycerides. Free fatty acids generally occur in most natural oils in only trace amounts, like maybe a couple per cent or so. That's why applying most natural oils to your skin has no significant effect at reducing DHT.

Yep you're right, sorry :) I didn't do my research thoroughly before I posted that. After, I reread the study and found out it was only the free fatty form of the oils. My mistake.

i also don't find that ACV pills are discussed much on this forum either.

i hear of people pouring a tablespoon into a bottle water and drinking it,

but that icky smell turns me off of that idea,

so i just consume ACV pills? and they work great.

just a thought.

so borage oil fish oil combo is the best way to go? I'm currently just using fish oil and it's helped alot but I'm not 100% clear I'm trying to decide if I should add borage oil or just up my fish oil. Any help would be much appreciated, thanx guys!

Guest veganwithacne

I am kind of interested in trying this as it is plant based.

Do you think it would be okay to take the oil as liquid and not in pill form? Should it be mixed with a smoothie?

I do not like pills. I have a strange phobia and can never convince myself to take them.

I am kind of interested in trying this as it is plant based.

Do you think it would be okay to take the oil as liquid and not in pill form? Should it be mixed with a smoothie?

I do not like pills. I have a strange phobia and can never convince myself to take them.

So i always have inflammed chin acne. (Hormonal Acne i assume). Has anyone taken the pill form for this that helped with hormonal acne?

Whoa old thread big time. JayQ, i think around two people on this board and like 5-6 of their friends cleared up from borage oil taken with lecithin ages ago. There's a whole thread on it if you wanna read it. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Evening-P...il-t110406.html

In a nut shell, they took 5-6g of Borage/starflower oil with 2,400mg Lecithin. This was taken with a glass of milk or equivalent fatty drink before a meal. This was designed for hormonal acne, cleared me like 95% until i found out the adverse affects of borage oil.

Also hormonal acne on chin/jawline can also be a prominent breakout area from insulin spikes from high GI foods. You may want to try glucomannan before meals. This was another craze that cleared a few ppl as well. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Glucomannan-t192949.html

Sorry to dig up old threads but for some who missed them, they may get you clear. :D

Edited by AussieSmile
Whoa old thread big time. JayQ, i think around two people on this board and like 5-6 of their friends cleared up from borage oil taken with lecithin ages ago. There's a whole thread on it if you wanna read it. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Evening-P...il-t110406.html

In a nut shell, they took 5-6g of Borage/starflower oil with 2,400mg Lecithin. This was taken with a glass of milk or equivalent fatty drink before a meal. This was designed for hormonal acne, cleared me like 95% until i found out the adverse affects of borage oil.

Also hormonal acne on chin/jawline can also be a prominent breakout area from insulin spikes from high GI foods. You may want to try glucomannan before meals. This was another craze that cleared a few ppl as well. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Glucomannan-t192949.html

Sorry to dig up old threads but for some who missed them, they may get you clear. :D

Thanks for the help! Jeez there are so many diff things that it could be and buy to try argh! :S I am so easily convinced to buy the products though because i am willing to try anything that has worked for others to get rid of this curse. I am wondering if i can just do both, borage oil, and the glucomannan?