Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Molson_Man

Extreme Dry Skin, Despite AHA & Jojoba Oil

I've been following the regimen on and off for a couple years, but just recently started using Dan's products and using large amounts of BP (that is, the amounts suggested by the regimen). I've been following the regimen precisely for about 3 weeks now, and my skin is unbelievably dry. I also got a slight sunburn a few days ago, which probably hasn't helped the situation.

I'm using Dan's moisturizer, so I do have jojoba oil in my regimen. I also apply an AHA lotion every night, so I'm including a form of exfoliation in my regimen as well. I've even been mixing the moisturizer with aloe vera gel for the last couple days to combat the burn and the dryness. All this and my skin is still dry and extremely flaky. I've already been pointed in the direction of the FAQ part of the website where is states what to do about dry skin (reducing BP if you're clear and adding jojoba and AHA). But I've already incorporated jojoba and AHA into my regimen, and I'm not completely clear yet, which makes me hesitant about reducing my BP application. So my question is, what should I do now?

It's really not something that I am willing to just persevere through. My face is covered in flakes only a few minutes after the moisturizer dries. Even after several applications over the course of the entire day (like 4 or 5 full applications of moisturizer and aloe), my face is still flaky and dry (not to mention oily and shiny from all the jojoba oil and product). I start school in a few days and I don't feel like starting the year oily and covered in flaky dead skin.

Should I resort to using a gentle scrub (such as a baking soda scrub) to deal with the flaky skin? Should I stick to the full amount of BP or should I reduce the amount of BP despite the fact that I'm still not completely clear? Should I only apply BP at night instead of twice a day? Should I just keep applying a ridiculous amount of moisturizer or will that cause me to breakout?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't know what to do here. At the moment I'm thinking that my best course of action is to only apply the BP at night, but still apply the full amount. Then I could apply the AHA lotion either in the morning or at night (after I apply the BP).

You shouldn't have added the AHA so early, you were meant to be on the regimen solely for a about a month or more before adding anything else. All I can say to you is just to wash and cleanse for the next two or so days, give your skin a break, in which time you can do a manual exfoliational method such as the baby brush method. There's a massive thread here on how to do it, I highly recommended checking it out.

Everyone has flakiness their first month, but what you're describing sounds more severe than normal. I think it's more than likely that you ramped up to the full amount of BP too quickly and your skin simply can't tolerate so much, so fast.

There is jojoba oil in Dan's moisturizer, but I would recommend that you actually go out and buy some separately. You can get Dan's Jojoba if you like, or just go to a health food store and pick up a smaller bottle. You'll be using the stuff twice a day, but it's measured out in drops, so even a very small bottle will last an extremely long time.

What I would do if I were you is immediately reduce your BP usage, but still do it twice per day. You say you're already using the full amount (which I assume is 2 pumps), but at three weeks into the regimen, that's too much. Starting today, I would cut that in half to give your skin time to recover. Do 1 pump in the morning and 1 pump at night.

If you buy some jojoba oil and want to incorporate it, try doing this: wash your face normally, then wait about five minutes. Carefully squeeze out 4-6 drops of jojoba oil onto your fingers and gently rub them in a circular motion into your flaky areas. The moisture should make the flakes invisible. Wait another five minutes, then apply your BP as usual. If you have the time, I would recommend that you wait half-an-hour after this step before applying your moisturizer, as that really helped me for redness and flakiness, but at least wait ten minutes. If you find that by the time you're ready to put some moisturizer on you can see flakes again, then mix in 2 or 3 drops of jojoba oil with your moisturizer in the palm of your hand and then apply it to your face. I've found that applying the drops of jojoba before my BP application kept my flakes at bay all day until I washed my face again, so after a couple days of doing this, mixing it into your moisturizer should not be necessary anymore.

Follow this for about a week or so and I suspect your flakes will be greatly reduced. Once you feel your face has gotten used to the one pump of BP, go ahead and ramp up to one-and-a-half pumps. You will likely start flaking seriously again when you do. Just wait it out until your flakes reduce themselves again (again, this will likely take a week or two), then ramp up to the two pumps if you're still not clear.

About your AHA -- if you've got a sunburn, even a mild one, cut it out of your regimen for now. It will only make things worse. Once you've recovered, a good AHA will eventually help you with your flakiness, but like the BP, it will get worse before you get better. The AHA is actually breaking down the glue that holds the top layer of your skin cells together, so it's going to cause that whole top layer to flake off before you start to see the new skin underneath. Make sure you're only using it once per day and that you're using an extremely thin layer. You shouldn't be using anywhere near as much AHA lotion as you do regular moisturizer, let alone BP. Also, you didn't say whether you were using Dan's AHA or another sort. If you're using another brand, make sure it's only 10% glycolic -- more than 10% is too much to use every day.

Good luck!

I've been using AHA for a little over 2 months now, so I guess I figured my skin could handle it. I've also been back on BP for the same amount of time, just with smaller amounts, which led me to think that I could get away with continuing to use AHA as I started to follow the regimen precisely. BTW, I'm using Alpha Hydrox Oil Free Formula, so it is just a 10% glycolic solution.

I've decided that it would indeed be a good idea to give my skin a break, so I'm just going to wash and cleanse my face for a few days (maybe 3 or 4), followed by a liberal amount of moisturizer mixed with aloe vera gel. From what I read on the Baby Brush Method thread, it appears that aloe has some antiseptic qualities along with the moisturizing and healing qualities, so at least I still have some form of treatment. I was going to run out and buy a baby brush, but all the stores are closed for Labour Day, so I will have to wait until tomorrow. I do think that I am in need of some serious exfoliation, so hopefully the baby brush will help.

Will applying several layers of my moisturizer/aloe mix a day cause me to breakout? Because my first layer today has just finished drying and I can already feel the need for some more.

I think I may start experimenting with the holistic approach a little more this month, cutting back on my sugar, starch and salt intake, increasing my omega-3 intake, etc. I should probably also start drinking more water again. Perhaps if I stick with a healthy diet and lifestyle, I could get away with only applying the BP once a day, therefore further decreasing any BP-related irritation.

I haven't read all the replies, but my recommendations would be to reduce the amount of bp you are using. Try to find the minimum amount that will keep you clear. And switch to Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

Can I ask why you think I should switch to Cetaphil? I still have some lying around my place somewhere, but I really don't want to use it again. I always thought that it was too heavy and greasy for my skin, and may have even contributed to breakouts. Will using too much of Dan's moisturizer have a negative effect?