Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunrise25

Accutane and hair

Hi everyone

Just wanted to see what people who were on accutane and started noticing hair loss did? Did your derm advise you to stop the drug, lower the dose or just continue since its likely to be temporary?

I had previously mentioned that Ive been losing more hair than usual with accutane. Im seeing my derm on the 15th so will discuss it with her but wanted to get your input please!

I experienced some hair loss on my first tane course (not as much as this time though) and my last derm had told me not to worry about it and that its temporary. I know dif doctors think differently so any input would be much much appreciated!

Thank u :)

Hi DB! I hope it resolves quickly too :) I can live with it for clear skin if it doesnt get worse and is hopefully temporary. I dont want to stop accutane!

Im using Nioxin conditioner right now as well as that Kerastase hair mask for dry hair. My hair does feel dry (also because I blow dry it straight a lot -- should prob lessen that but its what Ive always done so I dont wanna be sporting the curly frizzy look)

So many derms say its temporary :pray: so I wanted to get a feel from people who've experienced it if thats really the case and also know what other derms are saying

I have thick hair that naturally sheds quite a lot. I find brushing it out after it has air-dried a bit (as opposed to when my hair is very wet) can reduce the amount my hair sheds. I also let it air-dry as opposed to blow drying it, but only because I'm lazy, haha.

I know a lot of Accutane users do get this side effect, and pretty much all of the ones I've talked to only experience this effect while on Tane. Chances are, it'll resolve when you're off Tane - or even before then - but your best bet would probably be to talk to your derm to be positive.

Hopefully someone who's experience this side effect first hand can offer some advice. ;)

Deadbeat, not trying to put you on a downer but i would say if you get hairloss from accutane you have a 50:50 shot of it ever resolving. Now you PROBABLY won't end up bald but your hair will constantly shed at a much higher rate giving you very thin hair.

I had the thickest head of hair ever and after two years of shedding it is still as thick as your average joe, because i treat my tane induced hairloss with topical steroids. The long term hairloss you can get from accutane is a diffuse form of alopecia areata and can rarely result in baldness even in females.

Chances are if it resolved last time it will this time. So again i am not trying to scare you. I recommend to anyone who notices hairloss on accutane to lower their dose instantly and consider finishing the course early depending on how far along you are. You can always restart accutane but if you induce heavy hairloss there isn't much you can do to EVER stop it, other than hope for the best.

I know males and females who have hairloss over a decade since taking the drug.

Trust me on this.

Lamarr, I appreciate your warning and sharing your experience.

I know that everyone's different so one can never know for sure

Im already on a pretty low dose (30mg/day) so cant really go lower. I'll speak with my derm though and see what she says. I unfortunately also have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which does contribute to the hair loss, was hyperthyroid (now controlled) and am also anemic (but taking an iron supplement now). All those factors probably increased my hair loss susceptibility from tane greatly.

Anyone else out there with a positive experience in this topic?

I'm a 21 year old fem. I've done 2 different courses of accutane both times 4 months at 60 mg per day (2 years between courses). The first time I did not notice hair loss but the second time halfway through my course I spent a month in the french alps mid winter. I think the colder climate may have contributed but I definitely noticed my hair was thinner by the end of the course. And I already have naturally thin hair so I was a bit concerned. But I got on a powerful hair/skin/nail vitamin called Hair Formula 37 (you can get it online) and within a couple months I already saw a lot of new growth. About to start a 3rd course of accutane and my new dermatologist has suggested taking a substantial Biotin supplement along with the acctuane to help prevent hair loss. Wish I could take the Hair Formula 37 during my accutane course but it unfortunately has Vitamin A in it. Definitely would suggest it post accutane though. It works fast!

Thanks soo much for the info Kakay!! It gives me hope :)

How much Biotin did ur derm suggest you take?

Also did you experience any eyelash loss or was it just hair on your scalp?

i have the same hair shedding issues. im used to blow drying my hair pretty much everyday but i've stopped that since i started tane. i'm taking biotin and b-complex pills. not sure if it's helping or not. i'm also using Mill Creek biotin shampoo and jojoba conditioner. trying to do the all-natural hair care and i love it. my hair isn't as frizzy and just a bit wavy, which i don't mind. i also massage in pure 100% jojoba oil on my scalp and leave on for about 30min before i wash my hair. i highly recommend the mill creek brand (especially the jojoba cond.) and its pretty cheap (about $7). hope it helps.

Thanks a lot for the info Samj! I should prob stop blowdrying my hair straight all the time. Im sure its contributing to the damage

I recently bought Amla oil -- an Indian product thats supposed to be good. I'll get some jojoba oil too

Sunrise, I thought at first I was losing quite a bit of hair, but I wasn't. It was because of the way I was treating it. Do you have naturally wavy/curly hair? I do. I was combing and brushing. Big no no, especially when it starts to get dry from the lack of oil produced. Try finger combing it while lathered up with conditioner, rinse, and finger comb again once you've towel dried. Don't scrub the hair, just squeeze the wetness out. I noticed less shedding doing this routine. I hope you are not experiencing hair loss and it's just either a routine mishap or your cycle. I say that because all hair sheds in cycles. If it shedded at the same time we'd be bald, y'know? Some cycles have a higher shed rate than others and your high cycle may just be a coincidence with the start of your course. Anyhoo, I'm wishing you the best and lots of good vibes. :wub:

Thanks for the tips Siava! I do have naturally wavy hair and do comb it when its wet. I'll take your suggestion and not do that and just blow dry when its a little drier

I'll try and reduce the times I blow dry it too

I hope this subsides or at least decreases soon. Since im now just starting to experience some eyelash loss, I do think theres something accutane related thats starting this. Im giving it some time at my current dose of 30mg and will see how things progress.

Are your eyes dry, sunrise? Are you rubbing them a lot? I'm just trying to weed out all culprits aside from Accutane that may be contributing to your hair loss. I'd hate for it to be the medicine because I know you've been looking forward to this course.

i vaguely recall reading that looong "accutane hairloss" thread and the consensus is that the bad, irreversible hairloss due to accutane is actually an autoimmune condition.......so it doesnt really matter what you ingest while on tane or what kinda shampoo you use, if it's gonna happen to you, it prolly will?

i vaguely recall reading that looong "accutane hairloss" thread and the consensus is that the bad, irreversible hairloss due to accutane is actually an autoimmune condition.......so it doesnt really matter what you ingest while on tane or what kinda shampoo you use, if it's gonna happen to you, it prolly will?

Spot on, the only real thing you can do is keep your dose of accutane low.

i'm on 40mg and so far my side effects are manageable. my derm wants to up my dose to 50mg next month but i'm really afraid my hair will start to shed more and more. should i stay at 40 or move up?

Nobody can say for sure, samj. EVERYONE, no matter how cliche it seems, reacts differently.

sorry i'm a little late getting back to you-i think the highest doses they sell of biotin are in 5000 mcg per day, which is what my doctor recommended.

and as far as i remember the eyelashes did fall out a bit but i was blessed with a pretty full set of eyelashes so it was never a big concern for me.

really though invest in the hair formula 37 the minute you get off accutane. its pricey but it really makes a difference that ive never seen with other hair vitamins. --this was my experience anyway, everyone's different to be sure--

Hello,

I was on tane for 19 weeks at which time I stopped due to hair thinning that was on July 3 2008 since then I have been taking nutritional supplements specifically for hair. I am happy to say that the shedding is a lot less let me say that again a lot less! Praise God! My skin is clear but I have noticed a little bit of shine.

If your concerned about your hair and are able to stop the tane I would. My doc wanted me to stay on it for about a 6 month period but I said NO! I am glad I stopped when I did.

Siava: My eyes have been dry but I have been using eye drops for that. I even stopped wearing Mascara which I always did before. Ive been crying my eyes out frequently so not sure if this too may be stressing my eyes. I do think its the accutane unfortunately, so wanted to know if this is likely to be temporary or not. Unfortunately, I do know that one can never be sure and that everyone is different. Im hoping that medical professionals can give me a good opinion and advice on appropriate course of action

dingdingding I know theres a lieklihood that you're right. I believe that is Alopecia Areata. How does one know if its this vs. a temporary form of TE? LaMarr, if you have any suggestions about this, I would very much appreciate it.

Roxy Thanks for the tip! Do let us know please what you've used.

hey lamarr, you think it's about how high your dosage is at one time? or does the total cumulative dosage have somethiing to do with it as well?

hey lamarr, you think it's about how high your dosage is at one time? or does the total cumulative dosage have somethiing to do with it as well?

Bit of both, but put it this way. If i was now given the option to do a standard 4-6 months course at higher doses or an 8 month course at a lower dose, i would do the lower dose. Even if they reached the exact same cumulative dose.

Roxy can you name some of nutritional supplements you are taking? Thanks

Hello,

I use the Jason natural thin to thick hair care line of products which is packed full of vitamins and proteins for your hair. They also have a scalp elixer and a styling spray. I use them all. You can order online say at sites such as iherb or check at your local health food store in the health and beauty section.

I take b complex 100 mg 3 X a day with food in capsule form (easier to assimilate than a tablet)

Vitamin C 1000 mg 3 X a day more if under stress.

Green Miracle by Ultimate Living order online a powerful blood purifier and immune system builder

Hair skin and Nail formula by Ultimate living which is high in biotin and sulfur

Coromega fish oil Lime 3 packets a day.

I encourage you to go to a book store in your area such as barnes and Nobles or some other common book store and take out a book by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC title Prescription for Nutritional Healing it is a big white and orange book and go to the section on hair loss page 449 in the fourth edition version.