Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dropdeadacne

the things i heard about benzoyl peroxide, and was the last straw for me

i've heard many bad things about long term use of benzoyl peroxide:

-if you quit down the road, (months/years later), you will break out severely because your face has adapted to benzoyl peroxide

-BP may cause cancer

-it can make your face worst then it was before

-it can stop the process of growing out of acne as you get older

when i read these, it was just the last piece of information i needed before deciding to quit for sure. i know some of you think i am quitting too early but i jsut don't want to risk having mass breakouts in my 20's when i am suppose to grow out of it and want to quit the regimen.

i've been on the regimen for 3-4 weeks, and it sucks!, i've developed pimples in places i never did before like on my cheeks and hair line, and my chin is worst then before. the areas around my pimples are so red and inflamed. i am soo upset and depressed because i wanted to go into my second year of university with clear skin. ive had such high hopes for this regiment to cure my acne within the 3 weeks like it said, but my face only seems to be getting worst. i start school on thursday.

i did proactive a few years back and it was the biggest waste of money, as i feel this is.

i've also spent hundreds of dollars on medications in the past to help with my acne and none of them were successful.

i choose not to continue with the regimen because although it may take up to 3 months for it to work, i do not want to waste my time and avoid looking for other options while i can now if it doesn't end up working.

i was using spectro jel for cleanser and their 2.5% benzoyl peroxide formula aswell as spectro jel salicylic acid pads (this cleared up my blackheads amazingly) and complex 15 moisturizer (which i love)

starting tomorrow i'm going to use the spectro jel cleanser and pads and the complex 15 moisturizer to see if there is any improvement without the BP because atleast i know the salicylic acid in the pads will not break me out if i decide to quit those aswell.

any comments/feedback/opinions are welcome

Good move dropdeadacne. I was on my 8th week of the regimen and my face did not show any improvement. In fact, it got much worse and I lost my self-esteem. I also couldn't stand the fact that i need to slap 2 full pumps of bp onto my face for the rest of my life.

Just take it easy, you'll eventually find your solution!

I've been using bp for about 4 years now, and it's been the best thing ever that's cleared my skin. Yes, your skin does get worse before it gets better, - for example your skin has to get used to the cream so it'll burn and itch for a week or two...then once you get used to it, your skin starts to clear up. I guess it's patience and persistance, because nothing works like magic right away, everything takes time. I've seen people on these boards who have had really severe acne, and it's cleared up with such a simple regimen like dan's.

Some people's skin takes longer to adapt to the cream, you said you have gotten pimples in areas you never have before, but as long as the burning and itching has stopped, then at least you're not allergic to it.

I think it would have been good to keep going with the regimen for a bit longer than 3 to 4 weeks just to see how it works out for you. Let us know how things go with the spectro jel though.

Also, the reason why the acne comes back after people stop using BP, is because it doesn't CURE acne, it prevents it. Even Dan said when he stopped a pimple or two popped up. It just shows, you've got to stick to a preventative method that works for you. If I stop, my pimples come back too. It's just the fact that we still have the acne, the only thing is we're stopping it from popping up. And the cancer thing, that's a myth too.

Man, if BP can cause cancer, i wounder WHAT THE HELL Accutane can cause.

At least we use BP externally....

So what? Sun can cause cancer, Mc Donalds can cause cancer, everything can cause cancer...

i hate to hear things like that.

And EVERY active acne treatment WILL WORSE your acne if you dont complete it.

Its like an Infection. If you stop the medicine so soon, it will return much more stronger.

if you look in the FAQ section, the latest study done in the 2000's says that there were no causation of cancer with the use of BP. There was a study done a while ago with rats that raise a POSSIBLE correlation w/ BP and cancer, but this latest study dissproved it. Also, the earlier study was done on ONLY rats, and as we all know our genetic makeup cannot be deemed THAT similar to rats. Your acne will persist whether you use BP or not, my friend. SA makes me breakout like MAD and IMO is not that much better for you than BP. Either you live with your acne and dont use any form of topic solution and "pray" you grow out of it. Or you stick with the regimen and prevent acne until you grow out of it. BTW, if you quit BP a while down the road, just dont do it cold turky. Slowly minimize your dosage and you should be fine. Cheers.

Its ridiculous to claim that bp can cause your acne to persist into adulthood. There is absolutely no evidence of this besides someone stopping the regimen for a few days and then having a breakout. I doubt that said person was using the regimen from puberty (13-18) to complete adulthood (23+), when most of you can't even stay on it for even a month without losing faith.

-if you quit down the road, (months/years later), you will break out severely because your face has adapted to benzoyl peroxide

The way I see it, any drastic change you make to the chemicals on your face will cause you to break out. This applies to both adding and taking away products. It may be why some people break out when stopping the regimen cold turkey, it is probably why most people's acne gets worse when starting the regimen.

I agree. BP removing the skin's natural ability to grow out of acne is ludicrous. Are you trying to tell me that an antibacterial peeling agent like BP can alter genetic makeup? If that was the case it wouldn't be on the market. It's a preventative agent that's all. Suddenly stopping using it may be a shock to your skin and hence cause a breakout, but if you have grown out of your acne this should dissapate. Trial and Error.

A few of my friends and I are 24 and 25 and we still have acne. We had a good laugh about it because when you are younger, everyone tells you you will grow out of it. It wasn't the case for us at all. Some women actually get acne for the first time in their early 20s. So just be sure to focus on controlling your breakouts (with SA or whatever you like) rather than hoping for the day when you grow out of it. That's my experience anyway. Good luck. =]

A few of my friends and I are 24 and 25 and we still have acne. We had a good laugh about it because when you are younger, everyone tells you you will grow out of it. It wasn't the case for us at all. Some women actually get acne for the first time in their early 20s. So just be sure to focus on controlling your breakouts (with SA or whatever you like) rather than hoping for the day when you grow out of it. That's my experience anyway. Good luck. =]

thats easy to say when u are a girl and u can put on make-up.... ;)

i've heard many bad things about long term use of benzoyl peroxide:

-BP may cause cancer

when i read these, it was just the last piece of information i needed before deciding to quit for sure. i know some of you think i am quitting too early but i jsut don't want to risk having mass breakouts in my 20's when i am suppose to grow out of it and want to quit the regimen.

i've been on the regimen for 3-4 weeks, and it sucks!, i've developed pimples in places i never did before like on my cheeks and hair line, and my chin is worst then before. the areas around my pimples are so red and inflamed. i am soo upset and depressed because i wanted to go into my second year of university with clear skin. ive had such high hopes for this regiment to cure my acne within the 3 weeks like it said, but my face only seems to be getting worst. i start school on thursday.

i did proactive a few years back and it was the biggest waste of money, as i feel this is.

i've also spent hundreds of dollars on medications in the past to help with my acne and none of them were successful.

i choose not to continue with the regimen because although it may take up to 3 months for it to work, i do not want to waste my time and avoid looking for other options while i can now if it doesn't end up working.

i was using spectro jel for cleanser and their 2.5% benzoyl peroxide formula aswell as spectro jel salicylic acid pads (this cleared up my blackheads amazingly) and complex 15 moisturizer (which i love)

starting tomorrow i'm going to use the spectro jel cleanser and pads and the complex 15 moisturizer to see if there is any improvement without the BP because atleast i know the salicylic acid in the pads will not break me out if i decide to quit those aswell.

any comments/feedback/opinions are welcome

Why are you applying the bp to places on your skin that don't normally break out? I think somewhere in Dan's instructions he mentions that you should only apply the bp to areas of your face that always break out. If you're applying bp to clear parts of your skin, I'm sure you would have some irritation. (ie, I never apply bp to my forehead because that's the one place I don't get acne. )

I was a long term BP user, for about 10 years. It definitely helped me while I was using it, but never really controlled my acne completely (at least not on its own)...I will say that after using it for so long my skin was pretty damaged, red and very flaky. BUT several months after I stopped, with some tender loving care, i think I've reversed most of the damage. So, I don't personally believe BP is extremely risky in that way. Yes, it might make your skin look red and dry, but that just means it's time to stop using it and baby your skin.

In terms of the whole cancer thing, I think BP might make you more sun-sensitive and therefore make you more prone to skin cancer. If you're really worried you should wear sunscreen daily (In fact you should probably do that regardless). Also, BP oxidizes your skin which can be damaging I guess...well, acne can be pretty damaging too, so pick your poison ;-)

Personally, i love my BP. I've only been on it for about a month or 2 and i have seen VAST improvement in my skin. The left side of my face is completely clear (only very occasional small spots) and i see improvement on the right side of my face now, where i still get cysts.

For the first 2-3 weeks or so the BP dried my skin out like crazy, and i was actually more upset about the flaky texture than the actual acne, but my skin eventually got used to it and now i just make sure i moisturize daily, both day AND night (when i use BP) and the texture of my skin is basically back to normal.

People always say that you should try BP for at least 3 months to see if it's working but mine has already had effect on me so that's good right? i still get systs on my right cheek though and occasionally smaller ones on my forehead (1 or 2 at a time but mostly it's clear). I hope that with time i'll be 99% clear if i keep this up >.<

Oh and i had moderate cystic acne. Oh and i should probably mention that my skin's still slightly reddish, specially around the eye are but i'm fine with that - just some foundation and voila! lol

Man, if BP can cause cancer, i wounder WHAT THE HELL Accutane can cause.

At least we use BP externally....

:clap:

Nice point....I think there is more discussion on the real (& imagined...) side effects of BP on this board than the side effects of the far riskier accutane (often heralded as the no fail cure...."just get accutane" :rolleyes:).

IMO, BP is the most effective & affordable OTC treatment for acne. If you can't afford a derm, I think the regimen is the best bet for many.

Also, any acne treatment that will work for the longterm will take time to become effective. If you're looking for something to magically clear you up in a few weeks, you will never stop looking.