Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had acne since 16. I'm now 40 and still suffered from it until a week ago.

My problem was mostly due to severe reaction to sugar intake. Yes, yes, I'm sure some dermatologist would tell you there's no coorelation. Well, sugar promotes inflammation so why wouldn't there be a coorelation.

I did a lot of research on my problem and always came up frustrated. I had success becoming a vegetarian. It would clear up my acne considerably. But being a vegetarian is too difficult. I also discovered a way to control blood sugar by taking bitter melon pills. By taking it after a high sugar meal, I brought sugar blood level down and that reduces inflammation. Bitter melon pills can be bought at a vitamin shop.

If you're the types who would have severe breakout after enjoying a can of coke, you can now enjoy it right away. Just make sure you have some bitter melon pills nearby after you enjoy the soft drink. These pills are very dangerous because taken at a large dose, it lowers your blood sugar so much that you can go in shock, coma, etc. Be very careful.

You see those two solutions I described above are hard to implement. The bitter melon pill is only a temporary fix. It basically administer plant insulin to help absorb the sugar.

About 4 weeks ago, I tried vitamin A. I understand the risk of mood change and vitamin A poisoning so I started out with about 10,000 IU of cod liver pill twice every week. After 3 weeks, I started testing it. I started drinking soft drinks, OJ, eating candies, ice cream etc. I had a couple of breakouts but the situation was definitely improving. I'm sitting here after chugging down a V-8 Fusion (sugar ladden) and chewing gum.

Life is definitely good with sugar!

So I think the drastic difference before and after vitA is a definitive sign that I'd like to share. Hadn't I taken vitamin A, I would be blessed with at least 30 large and painful penny sized pimples by now. I had to dig the needle deep in there and relieve the pressure or it would be so painful. I couldn't do much about the ones under my hair and behind my back. I'd have sleepless night because I couldn't sleep on top of a breakout. It would hurt so bad.

As of the last few days, I'd started 10,000 IU daily. Why does vitamin A work? It's said that vitamin A reduces inflammation. What does inflammation have to do with acne? I think bacteria can coexist peacefully as long as the body immune respond doesn't rigorously fight it. By invoking an inflammatory reponse, the body makes the situation worse.

So, take a low dose of vitamin A to be on the safe side. Consult a doctor to monitor the situation. Twice a week 10,000 IU to be safe, the increase if needed. Be patient...Give it at least 3 weeks. Actually, you should start your enjoyment of sugar after 2 weeks. I was just being conservative.

Also, be alert for the mood change. You can go from being a monk to a road rage maniac with vitamin A just like that. Don't want anyone here to be convicted of murder... :))))))

About 4 weeks ago, I tried vitamin A. I understand the risk of mood change and vitamin A poisoning so I started out with about 10,000 IU of cod liver pill twice every week. After 3 weeks, I started testing it. I started drinking soft drinks, OJ, eating candies, ice cream etc. I had a couple of breakouts but the situation was definitely improving. I'm sitting here after chugging down a V-8 Fusion (sugar ladden) and chewing gum.

I'm happy that you've found something that works for you, but I wish it wasn't something dangerous. The only safe way to supplement with vitamin A is to get it through plant foods in the form of beta carotene, which your body will safely convert what it needs into vitamin A. I'd love for you to give green smoothies a try, which are full of beta-carotene and let us all in the thread know if you get the same positive results! There's a link in my signature. Regardless, I wish you well! It sounds like you really suffered before, but I'd hate for you to also suffer through vitamin A toxicity. :(

Vitamin A problems

A recent study indicates that vitamin A intake dramatically weakens bones. A recent meta analysis of 20 studies indicated that vitamin A (retinol) intake—whether from diet (cod liver oil and animal livers) or from supplements—was negatively associated with bone density. As more vitamin A was consumed, hip fractures went up accordingly. The conclusion was that vitamin A supplements should not be used in any dose. Your body can make all the vitamin A it needs from the natural carotenoids found in fruits and vegetables.1

1. Crandall C. Vitamin A intake and osteoporosis: a clinical review. J Women’s Health 2004: Oct.13(8):939-53.

Source:

what would be the safest dosage of A then? :rolleyes:

I think the starting dose of 10,000 IU twice/week is very safe. After 3 weeks, if nothing changes, you should reassess the situation to see if vitA is working for you. To be sure no damages are done, you go to a doctor for regular blood test. If any sign of liver damages, the blood test and the baseline test would definitely show. I'm just tired of having needles up my arm.

Liver toxicity is very dangerous.

en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

I think I instill to much fear with my posts. In general, vitamin A deficiency is not a good thing either.

Also, the previous post alluded to betacarotine form of VitaA. I thought I read that the water soluble betacarotine (from vegs, eg, carrots) is more toxic in large doses than the oil soluble form (cod liver).

Regardless vitaA toxicity is noticeable by its outward effects. The arctic explorers died horribly eating livers.

en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

If you want come up with a safe dosage, you can probably start eating livers. Look for those lower in vitamin A.

Also, the previous post alluded to betacarotine form of VitaA. I thought I read that the water soluble betacarotine (from vegs, eg, carrots) is more toxic in large doses than the oil soluble form (cod liver).

Both beta-carotene and vitamin A are not safe when taken in supplemental form. However, it's safe to obtain beta-carotene from foods sources. I get mega doses of it, safely, when I drink my daily green smoothie consisting of blended leafy greens and fruit.

Ingesting vitamin A or beta-carotene in isolation—from supplements, instead of from food—may interfere with the absorption of other crucially important carotenoids, such as lutein and lycopene, thus potentially increasing cancer risk.1

Source:

ABG fairy, Vitamin A in retinol is perfectly safe, as long as you supplement Vitamin D along with it. No studies have found any adverse effect from supplementing both vitamins.

Read this, for an analysis of different studies: http://westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitaminasaga.html

Scroll down to "The Myth of Vitamin A Toxicity", and you'll also probably be interested in "Are Carotenes Safe, Too?".

ABG fairy,

I completely agree that it's best to eat to a healthier life, acne free. It takes extraordinary effort and a lot of discipline to abide by the healthy formula, not to mention sacrifying taste. The message is simple and ancient, "you are what you eat". Let me qualify that a little bit. You're what you eat. The "what" and how much of that what is a matter of determination and continual fine tunning. Certain regiment may work if we go back to a simpler life, no stress, no over exertions, etc. If anyone reading my messages want to try your method, I'd urge them to do that first. I urge the majority of people try that first. It's difficult for people to trust the pills because not too many have the understanding to make the conviction for themselves that something is good or bad.

When I discovered the temporary fix in term of bitter melon to control inflammation, I loaded up and ate everything in sight to test it. I ended up with a heart attack because I ate too much ice cream and upped my cholesterol level sustantiably. I then reverted that method and went on strict vegan with supplements. Both methods worked well. I was all cleared up. I consider myself a person of great discipline. I'm a very ascetic person.

As far as the link between cancer and supplements, I have to disagree. I consider myself scientific and well adjusted. I will make the assertion that vitamin A of all forms, as long as the chemical formula is the same, will produce the same effects. Too much of vitamin A according to your regiment should kill too. That's all that is.

I continually warned people of vitamin A toxicity because I think the word vitamin somewhat connotes safety. I need to talk about vitamin A deficiency. If I want to take the extreme case, vitamin A deficiency causes heart attack and strokes via inflammation. Inflammation within blood vessels cause blood clogs...you can derive the rest of chain of events from there.

Both beta-carotene and vitamin A are not safe when taken in supplemental form. However, it's safe to obtain beta-carotene from foods sources. I get mega doses of it, safely, when I drink my daily green smoothie consisting of blended leafy greens and fruit.

Ingesting vitamin A or beta-carotene in isolation—from supplements, instead of from food—may interfere with the absorption of other crucially important carotenoids, such as lutein and lycopene, thus potentially increasing cancer risk.1

Source:

ABG fairy, Vitamin A in retinol is perfectly safe, as long as you supplement Vitamin D along with it. No studies have found any adverse effect from supplementing both vitamins.

Read this, for an analysis of different studies:

Scroll down to "The Myth of Vitamin A Toxicity", and you'll also probably be interested in "Are Carotenes Safe, Too?".

what is the IU equivalence of two spoon of cod liver? When did you last have your liver function test? Just wondering...

BTW, people abuse their livers all the time by binging alcohol. Be nice to your liver!

You guys bring up good arguments, but nonetheless, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in this case. :) I still think it's best to not take supplements of isolated vitamins, and I believe that we're always safe obtaining vitamins from plant foods.

rakbs,

Thanks for the article. Weston Price has a lot of good advice, so I don't want to do discount them as a whole, but sadly, they site many articles of studies that were poorly done - studies that aren't comprehensive, credible or even peer-reviewed. If you are serious about following the advice given by the Western A. Price foundation, I urge you to read the following article by Dr. Fuhrman, who is the most credible medical doctor I know of, and to thoughtfully consider what it says. http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/dr-fu...-elsewhere.html. :)

When you say retinol is safe in conjuction with vit D, do you mean like in cod oil where it has both, so taking C.L.O. will give you both at the same time,

OR can you get some sun exposure during the day, then later on that evening eat a large amount of liver without ill-effect?

Or is this just nit-picking?

rackb: the study that showed vitamin d offsetting the negative effects of vitamin a was actuallly done on turkeys. I don't think we can say anything to0 certain about this relationship between the two vitamins....

Read this, for an analysis of different studies: http://westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitaminasaga.html

Bitter Melon sounds very interesting

Just off a quick google search people are saying it dropped their blood glucose 50 points in 4 days

Bitter Melon sounds very interesting

Just off a quick google search people are saying it dropped their blood glucose 50 points in 4 days

they say it purifies blood as well.

Yeah I would like to know more about this bitter melon too. Strange that we haven't heard about it helping acne before.

The only thing that has me concerned is the fact that he said he had a heart attack w/ the Bitter Melon after huge sugar consumption

I cant find ANYTHING linking them or any known side effect though

No this is an older person (not a teenager). He said he had a heart attack from eating a bunch of crap, it had nothing to do with the bitter melon. At least that was my interpretation of it.

I got some Bitter Melon pills today! I am gonna put them on the test.yay)) Oh, I haven't eaten anything today at ALL because of the crazy schedule and the only thing I craved was SUGAR. How crazy is that! I totally need to cut down but I am gonna take one pill of Bitter Melon after that. I'll let u know results.

yes, works great still. One or two small zits but otherwise nothing major.

candies ate today: 3 tootsie rolls, 2 small chocolate bars.

soft drink: SunKist

OJ bottle.