Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey everybody. i've had acne for four years now. i've been on two courses of accutane! hahah. well anyways. i got off my second course of accutane in june, right when the summer starts and the sun comes out here in seattle. the ENTIRE summer i had super clear skin, because i would always be in the sun and it would help my skin! some times i wouldn't go in the sun for like a week or two and i would get mild pimples though. ANYWAYS. now that the winter is coming, the sun is gone again and my acne is returning! is there anything i can get?? like some sort of light? or a cream that emulates the effect of the sun? or something haha. thanks! this is really a problem going into a junior year of highschool and don't have time to deal with acne haha.

EDIT: oh by the way. i have asian skin. so the sun doesn't irritate my skin whatsoever! It just makes me darker hahah.

This is exactly my case. I have done EVERYTHING to treat my acne with no avail. Basically the only cure for my acne is sunlight. For a lot of the summer I tried to stay outta the sun because I had been acne clear for over 8 months and thought I was done. NOPE haha. After about 3 weeks of less than 15 minutes a day of sun I started to break out and here I am back on these forums. The only thing I know of that can mimic the sun's rays are tanning beds and those aren't the safest things around as far as acne treatment goes. But if you are willing to get reg sunlight to treat acne maybe a tanning bed is a route for you? I have never tried a tanning bed to get rid of acne, but I will probably end up hitting a few up during the winter months.

Sounds like you guys might have a vitamin D deficiency - should talk to your doctor about getting tested, deficiencies can be a pretty big cause of acne.

As for tanning beds it's not really a good idea. The sun and a tanning bed will emit UVA and UVB rays - UVB is the good one since all your vitamin D is made via this. Tanning beds emit 95% UVA light which doesn't really do anything for your body except maybe increase the release of endorphins which will make you happier:)

BUT a tan will blend the acne in a little more to the point where you really just don't see minor imperfections just the big ones.

i don't really think i have a deficiency. i think my skin has the habit to produce acne and the sun kind of fights it back and stops it? but now with no sun there's nothing fighting it and its breaking out all it wants! is tanning beds the only option to try??

i don't really think i have a deficiency. i think my skin has the habit to produce acne and the sun kind of fights it back and stops it? but now with no sun there's nothing fighting it and its breaking out all it wants! is tanning beds the only option to try??

I have to agree with lemonsandlimes about the vitamin D. It is worth looking into

You get vitamin D when you're exposed to sunlight. So supplementing with vitamin D is a good idea. Take 1,000 to 4,000 I.U.

The sun can definitely be great for acne but if you have red/brown spots it'll make them worse, especially if you're using a BHA, AHA or any type of exfoliation product. I notice my brown spots get much worse when I go out into the sun, especially since I started exfoliating with BHA, so sunscreen is now essential for me as much as I hate dealing with it and putting it on.

i do not think its related to vit D deficiancy.

the sun is clearing up your skin because its hamful to the bacteria that causes the acne ( p. acne)

some people claim tanning clears the spots evidence do suggest this but i don't reccomend since skin cancer is worse tha acne.

there is a treatment available called red/blue light therapy which has been proven to kill the bacteria by targetting certain receptors. its basically a lamp that shines specific wave lengths of red and blue light; this is also present in sunlight and this treatment has no (if any prolly very minor) side effects. only downside is you have to stay still for 15 minutes a day.

you give it ago see if it effective for you

Sun helps at the beginning but for myself whenever i tan a little bit, my skin gets really oily within a week resulting in breakouts

Have you considered the fact that it may be this alternative hypothesis:

The Acne gets worse after you have spent a lot of time in the sun causing more skin damage, so when there is less sun, you have worse Acne after you had more sun earlier, so you attribute the Acne to you needing that level of sun exposure again. Then, when the summer comes around, your skin has healed up a bit more for 1, and you are clearer, and for 2, the sun can do things locally with bacteria on the skin?