Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Displaythis

Accutane failed me. Im so down and discouraged

i have been suffering with acne for 12 years and after going to so many doctors one finally prescribed me accutane on January 2008. I finished a 5-month course and finished at 1,000mg above my cumulative dose and i thought that was it. I mean, i stopped breaking out for two months while on accutane...but my skin wasnt dry then so i knew it didnt work.

Surely, 3 weeks after accutane my face started to get oily and 2months post tane i started to get little white heads....and now almost three months post-tane and im getting pimples; i just popped one since it was a giant whitehead and it was gonna explode any day any way.

Im suing BP right now and my acne has calmed down a bit but i still get them. My oil is 50% less than before i started accutane but its only a matter of time it will come back full blown. I hate this!

im gonna go to my dermatologist in two weeks and request for accutane again. I dont know if she will prescribe me again since she was adamant the first time

sigh.

You should ask for solodyn.....it works great! I'm not on it at the moment (thts why my acne came back) beacuse I'm switching to a different derm. (one thts not and hour awaylol) ii worked for me and i have moderate to severe acne

A lot of people need second courses. If Accutane did clear your acne for a time, I'd definitely consider a second course as a possible option. Whatever you do, I really hope you finally clear up.

yes, keep using BP and wait a couple of months. Then get on a second course. This is more common than you may think. Don't lose hope.

Sorry, the accutane didn't work out for you. I was on accutane and had to stop the first time due to muscle pain (side effect). I tried it a second time and was on it for 5 months -within 2-3 weeks my acne returned.

What worked best for me was doxyclycline and minocycline. The mino gave me hyperpigmentation which is still slowly fading off. I will say that I do regret going on meds since they only worked for me while taking it...within a month or two my acne always returned. And than I would remember how clear my skin was and it was very discouraging.

For my facial acne (mild-moderate) I use Dan's BP, but as my cleanser I use baking soda and water. This has been the only thing that works for me. After applying the BP I use a little AHA and moisturizer. (I started added AHA after a few weeks.) For body acne (which was severe) I use Nizoral in the shower and than Thai Crystal Deodorant Mist (salt water spray). I'm about 90% clear on the body - better than meds. and my face is almost 100% clear.

My lifestyle is VERY healthy. Eating, exercising, and cleansing. (I've done colonics, and liver flushes - over the last 3 months.) All of this combine is what KEEPS improving my skin, however, I've always had a pretty healthy lifestyle and 16 years of acne - until now!

Sorry to hear it didnt work for you as well as you hoped! Im on my second course now and a lot of people need more than one course so theres def hope! Just use your current regime for a bit then u can try going through it again

Good luck!

My derm told me that about 80% of accutane users don't need a second course (and the rest of 20% need more than one course - and few per cent of them don't find a cure from accutane).

I still absolutely hope you will find the best cure for your acne and I think you should try (as you're trying) another course.

Cheers,

Zech

i'm on accutane atm and my skin isnt dry anymore, although ive also stopped breaking out. its basically just less oily - the normal oilyness that a person without accutane has.

does that mean its not gonna work for me once i stop???

i'm on accutane atm and my skin isnt dry anymore, although ive also stopped breaking out. its basically just less oily - the normal oilyness that a person without accutane has.

does that mean its not gonna work for me once i stop???

I'm in the same boat as you. My face was a grease pot before I started and now the oil is pretty much gone...but my face isn't like dry skin, not peeling either.