Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Makeitmakesense.

Can I possibly eliminate this without the use of Accutane?

I developed nodular acne appoximately 3 months ago. It was a very, very sudden outburst.

Ihave taken pictures of both sides of my face and they are extremely close up (sorry guys). The rest of my face such as my nose and forhead are pretty much clear. My question is, considering that my acne is fairly "new", do you think I need Accutane? I'm currently taking 100mg of Doxycyline which I've been on for about 3 weeks now. I've seen some improvement but I think ACV, Metrogel .75%, and Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion are probably doing a better job then the pills. I've never had acne this bad before and I'm not sure what to do. Do you think it's too early for the Doxy to have begun working? I'm not exactly willing to use BP but I'm open to any other suggestions. I do use SA though and am going to start using Paula's Choice AHA %2 when I get it in the mail.

Things I've tried prior to Doxy:

Murad (Which caused the severe outbreak on the cheek where I have the most acne :cry: )

and

Dermalogica (Did nothing for me, didn't make it better or worse)

The reason I don't use BP: Simple, it's too drying, too irritating, and makes the redness linger for too long.

Im also on BCP Ortho Lo and take Flax Seed and Zinc Chelate and a multivitamin

If anyone can offer suggestions, tips, advice, that would be extremely helpful.

Your honesty and input would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

post-81804-1220146529_thumb.jpg

post-81804-1220146553_thumb.jpg

post-81804-1220146529_thumb.jpg

post-81804-1220146553_thumb.jpg

Yes its possible.

If you want faster(but not definitive) results, try some antibiotics from the Cycline family: Minocycline, Tetracycline etc.

Consult a dermatologist before you do that. Normally they prescript those for 40 days.

I recommend Adapalene (Differin), its less irritating and much effective.

I never could use Accutane and when my acne started, it was much more worse than yours. I started with Tetracycline for 45 days.

You will solve this! but you will really needs to be patient.

Best luck!

;)

You might want to try to ask this over on the hormonal forum. Yaz and/or Spiro may be better choices for you than Ortho Lo and it's certainly not as much of a commitment as Accutane will be. A lot of women on here have great experiences with Spiro.

Yes its possible.

If you want faster(but not definitive) results, try some antibiotics from the Cycline family: Minocycline, Tetracycline etc.

Consult a dermatologist before you do that. Normally they prescript those for 40 days.

I recommend Adapalene (Differin), its less irritating and much effective.

I never could use Accutane and when my acne started, it was much more worse than yours. I started with Tetracycline for 45 days.

You will solve this! but you will really needs to be patient.

Best luck!

;)

I'm currently taking Doxycycline 100mg which is part of the Cycline family. So did you beat acne without Accutane?

I developed nodular acne appoximately 3 months ago. It was a very, very sudden outburst.

Ihave taken pictures of both sides of my face and they are extremely close up (sorry guys). The rest of my face such as my nose and forhead are pretty much clear. My question is, considering that my acne is fairly "new", do you think I need Accutane? I'm currently taking 100mg of Doxycyline which I've been on for about 3 weeks now. I've seen some improvement but I think ACV, Metrogel .75%, and Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion are probably doing a better job then the pills. I've never had acne this bad before and I'm not sure what to do. Do you think it's too early for the Doxy to have begun working? I'm not exactly willing to use BP but I'm open to any other suggestions. I do use SA though and am going to start using Paula's Choice AHA %2 when I get it in the mail.

Murad (Which caused the severe outbreak on the cheek where I have the most acne :cry: )

and

The reason I don't use BP: Simple, it's too drying, too irritating, and makes the redness linger for too long.

THANKS!

I don't have nodular acne, just cysts once in a while, but I think you're using way too many products. First things first, get the eff off antibiotics, they do more harm than good in the long run for your body and your acne is not worth risking your well-being over. Second, when I used to supplement with zinc chelate and a multivitamin, that really made me break out, so I have since stopped doing that. I would say continue with the ACV...as far as products I reccomend through perscription, try clindamycin. I'm not sure how good it is on nodular acne, but it cleared up my acne for 2 years, but it of course returned when the antiobiotics got resistant. But clindamycin would be a good medicine to use, it generally clears up a lot of people. I don't think you should try accutane at all; check out the holistic forum and try one of those approaches. The path will take much longer, but perhaps it will be more satisfying. The most important thing to remmeber for you is that "after the rain comes the sunshine", and I've been in your shoes before where the acne randomly got really bad, but the thing is, it always clears sooner or later, just take the necessary precautions. And stop using so many products.

and

THANKS!

I don't have nodular acne, just cysts once in a while, but I think you're using way too many products. First things first, get the eff off antibiotics, they do more harm than good in the long run for your body and your acne is not worth risking your well-being over. Second, when I used to supplement with zinc chelate and a multivitamin, that really made me break out, so I have since stopped doing that. I would say continue with the ACV...as far as products I reccomend through perscription, try clindamycin. I'm not sure how good it is on nodular acne, but it cleared up my acne for 2 years, but it of course returned when the antiobiotics got resistant. But clindamycin would be a good medicine to use, it generally clears up a lot of people. I don't think you should try accutane at all; check out the holistic forum and try one of those approaches. The path will take much longer, but perhaps it will be more satisfying. The most important thing to remmeber for you is that "after the rain comes the sunshine", and I've been in your shoes before where the acne randomly got really bad, but the thing is, it always clears sooner or later, just take the necessary precautions. And stop using so many products.

Thanks. I'll look into Clinamycin. I stopped taking the vitamins while I am on antibiotics but I'll keep what you said in mind about them. I don't think the antibiotics are helping much with the acne so I might just stick with topicals.

Thanks for the advice!

Your skin doesnt look THAT bad bud. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) I would place it in a 7ish area. I would only recommend accutane for people with 9.9999999999. U will be fine. My acne was like that when i was 16 and now it's nothing like that.

That happened to me too. One day I was fine, then over the course of a week it got worse and worse and worse and i never had cysts or nodules until about two months ago.

The cyclines and stuff never helped me, so accutane was the last resort. The thing with this kind of acne, is that it takes months to go away, and will just come back.

I'm on accutane now, just started really, and already have had tons of improvement. My acne looked a lot like yours, too.

That happened to me too. One day I was fine, then over the course of a week it got worse and worse and worse and i never had cysts or nodules until about two months ago.

The cyclines and stuff never helped me, so accutane was the last resort. The thing with this kind of acne, is that it takes months to go away, and will just come back.

I'm on accutane now, just started really, and already have had tons of improvement. My acne looked a lot like yours, too.

Yeah, I had the feeling the Doxy wouldn't work. How long did it take for you to see improvement? I guess I'll be going on it soon as well. I'm not looking forward to it.

Yeah, I had the feeling the Doxy wouldn't work. How long did it take for you to see improvement? I guess I'll be going on it soon as well. I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm on about day twenty now, so it hasn't been long at all. It really isn't that bad. I hardly know that i'm on it besides having dry lips, all you do is take one or two little pills every day and your good to go until the next day

Thanks for putting my mind at ease a little, I'd like to avoid having to take it if I can though. I have an appt on the 18th and have about a weeks worth of Doxy left, if by some miracle it kicks into gear and starts working then I'll stick with it for a little while longer. I'm experimenting with diffrent things do bring down the inflammation because I think that's what makes it look worse than it is. Thanks for the advice

i dont have severe acne but i would recommend clindmycin aswell. it completely cleared up my pimples and you get results pretty quick, like 2-3 weeks. its my favourite.

i dont have severe acne but i would recommend clindmycin aswell. it completely cleared up my pimples and you get results pretty quick, like 2-3 weeks. its my favourite.

I've been thinking of requesting that on my next appt. That's if I don't end up on Accutane...

Hi ChordinHeart,

Have you asked your doc if it's some kind of staph infection? Just this last april I broke out the worst I've ever been, and much worse than yours but it sort of looked similar. My primary doctor perscribed sprio 25mg, doxy 100mg (2x's day), and some meds for a staph infection. She said the bacteria had been spreading and it was only getting worse. I have pictures at home so I will post them up for you. I don't remember what the medication was called, but I can put in a call to my doc in the morning. Like you, I am avoiding Accutane at all costs! April was by far the worst, and I am currently semi-clear (could be a number of things and a combination of a number of things. ugh). Anyway, I will let you know what I find out. :thumbsup:

post-81086-1221191419_thumb.jpg

post-81086-1221191419_thumb.jpg

i would def go on accutane . Ur acne seems pretty aggresive and since it only started 3 months ago who knows where the road ends... But not to discourage u but those clusters seem pretty vicious and i would get on accutane to prevent as much scarring as possile. Just my oppinion. DO not use so many products either. Plus when u wash ur face or apply anything , make sure u barley touch ur face. SA is garbage so stop using that. Use a 2.5 percent BP and wash gently.

i would def go on accutane . Ur acne seems pretty aggresive and since it only started 3 months ago who knows where the road ends... But not to discourage u but those clusters seem pretty vicious and i would get on accutane to prevent as much scarring as possile. Just my oppinion. DO not use so many products either. Plus when u wash ur face or apply anything , make sure u barley touch ur face. SA is garbage so stop using that. Use a 2.5 percent BP and wash gently.

Thanks for your input. Still holding off for my doctors appt. However, since this post, my acne has for the most part been under control. The nodule on my cheek has significantly diminished in size and I've managed to reduce the inflammation considerably in comparison to how it was just a few weeks ago. I think the Doxy is starting to finally kick in. I'm considering another 4 weeks of doxy before Accutane because I am seeing some significant improvement and no new break outs. Unfortunately, I am still quite a ways from being clear and that's probably what bugs me the most. I'm thinking if I do get clear taking doxy it will probably take the same amount of time as if I was taking Accutane. I didn't get an IB taking Doxy and my skin is neither too dry nor too oily. I take it my acne was caused by stress and hormones solely. I dunno though....

Still kinda weighing the options. If anyone would like to add their 2 cents. I'm all ears til my appt. date.

Thanks!

The SAME thing happened to me right around the time I was your age.

I had moderate acne without cysts growing up then when I was 23

I got cystic acne out of the frickin' blue.

A few months later I was diagnosed with endometriosis and had to have cysts removed from my ovaries, along with a DNC to clean everything out to start over.

The cystic acne was obviously hormonally related.

They put me on BC (which helped but didn't clear it) which I had to discontinue as it made me perpetually depressed.

I tried spiro for a while but again, it helped but didn't clear things up.

The antibiotics might help given some time, but they work by destroying your body's bad AND healthy bacteria. Without any bacteria to feed on, clogged pores don't lead to infection/acne.

That being said...be sure to take a good acidophilus like Jarro or

Green Vibrance (lots of pre and pro biotics, along with a hefty dose of the best herbs and green veggies, all in one scoop!) mixed with a low sugar juice. Kombucha also helps to keep your good bacteria and your PH in check.

Take the probiotics a couple of hours after your antibiotics or your meds will kill them.

Just know that if you don't do the probiotics, once you get off the antibiotics, you'll have a bacterial rebound and overgrowth of bad bacteria that will cause another

flare up unless you replenish the healthy bacteria through probiotic therapy.

Hi ChordinHeart,

Have you asked your doc if it's some kind of staph infection? Just this last april I broke out the worst I've ever been, and much worse than yours but it sort of looked similar. My primary doctor perscribed sprio 25mg, doxy 100mg (2x's day), and some meds for a staph infection. She said the bacteria had been spreading and it was only getting worse. I have pictures at home so I will post them up for you. I don't remember what the medication was called, but I can put in a call to my doc in the morning. Like you, I am avoiding Accutane at all costs! April was by far the worst, and I am currently semi-clear (could be a number of things and a combination of a number of things. ugh). Anyway, I will let you know what I find out. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I thought about the possibility of it being a staph infection as well because they're so clustered together. The Doxy seems to be kicking in gear and it's clearly up somewhat. I will definitely ask my doctor if he thinks that's what it is though. I haven't had any new breakouts for over a week which is a while considering how I used to get them everyday almost. I've recently started applying tea tree oil which helps a lot and it is an anti fungal so who knows....

Keep me posted.

The SAME thing happened to me right around the time I was your age.

I had moderate acne without cysts growing up then when I was 23

I got cystic acne out of the frickin' blue.

A few months later I was diagnosed with endometriosis and had to have cysts removed from my ovaries, along with a DNC to clean everything out to start over.

The cystic acne was obviously hormonally related.

They put me on BC (which helped but didn't clear it) which I had to discontinue as it made me perpetually depressed.

I tried spiro for a while but again, it helped but didn't clear things up.

The antibiotics might help given some time, but they work by destroying your body's bad AND healthy bacteria. Without any bacteria to feed on, clogged pores don't lead to infection/acne.

That being said...be sure to take a good acidophilus like Jarro or

Green Vibrance (lots of pre and pro biotics, along with a hefty dose of the best herbs and green veggies, all in one scoop!) mixed with a low sugar juice. Kombucha also helps to keep your good bacteria and your PH in check.

Take the probiotics a couple of hours after your antibiotics or your meds will kill them.

Just know that if you don't do the probiotics, once you get off the antibiotics, you'll have a bacterial rebound and overgrowth of bad bacteria that will cause another

flare up unless you replenish the healthy bacteria through probiotic therapy.

Thanks for posting! I know what you mean about BC because they make me feel the same way, the doctor said that it takes about three months for your body to adjust to hormones and that I should expect mood changes and subtle side effects. I'm ok so far, I get depressed a lot but it's not exremely serious or anything. I agree about taking probiotics but I don't know where to get them. Is it also a perscription you get from the doctor. I'm going to look into what you recommended for bacteria restoration and PH. Thank you for your help.

I think the only thing that will cure that is accutane.

I'm on day 50, and nothing in my life has really changed, except my acne is getting better. The side effects are WAY WAY WAY over-hyped by scaremongers, in fact, it's probably better for you than anti-biotics.