Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thekevster

What can I use instead of BP in the regimen?

I am allergic to BP I just found thats why I have been sick for 3 weeks... I need something else that works just as good as BP but not the same thing... I still am going to use the cleanser and moistrizer...? Please help what can I do?

A lot of people have had success with salicylic acid, far more gentle. If you want something stronger I know people use BHA and AHAs such as mandelic acid, or you could go more natural and use tea tree oil.

For an OTC product I found a 10% mandelic acid to be pretty good. Like BP, you want to increase the amount slowly. You also don't want to use quite as much. Nucelle is the brand I used, and there's a lot of threads on it in the general acne forum.

For a prescription, retin-a has been great, and is best used when introduced slowly and without use of any other topicals.

BP, mandelic acid, and retin-a are the best topicals I've ever used for my inflammatory acne. Tea tree oil, SA, and other OTC topicals have never done much but irritate my skin at most.

Even though I am currently off BP, Dan's regimen taught me that a gentle cleanser, one medicated topical, and a good moisturizer (with AHA as a plus) is the best way to treat acne topically in the long run. Whenever I use too many products at once, my skin suffers for it.