Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
That Girl

Looking People In The Eye?!

Does anyone else hate looking people in the eye when you talk to them?

Because you KNOW that a second after they start talking to you their eyes will glance down at your acne??

I HATE this. I hardly make eye contact with anyone for this reason. I know not looking at them isn't gonna stop them from looking at my acne, but I can't stand to watch another person stare at my face while they talk to me :(

Ha - Yeah I get like that too.

I hate it because you don't want to be rude or unfriendly to people - But we feel very very self conscious when our complexion is all messed up...But the truth is that other people are probably not even the tiniest bit concerned about your skin. But that does not make it any easier, I know

I do this accidently sometimes and my eyes wander and start looking at their acne, then notice they notice it and feel bad because I know I'd shit brix if the same happened to me.

EDIT: Nice I'm now a Veteran Member :D

I know it's tough, but you have to look people in the eye. If you don't it's a sign of weakness and generally a conversation breaker. Just pretend you don't have acne. It'll make both of you more comfortable.

especially when ur sitting next to someone, and theyve got their head turned, talking to u...and ur looking straight ahead loll

yeah i do that ..they look beside i look ahead . they look at me . i look down ...pretend i am busy and stuff . or sometimes when you feel they are trying to start about that particular topic ..haha i'll just change those topics

I know it's tough, but you have to look people in the eye. If you don't it's a sign of weakness and generally a conversation breaker. Just pretend you don't have acne. It'll make both of you more comfortable.

Eye contact is more of a sign of hostility unless it's a member of the opposite sex. Having a conversation with solid eye contact is akward an unneccisary. Ever look a dog into the eyes? It'll start growling and become aggressive.

Yea, I hate when they do that. lol What also bothers me is when I'm walking around campus and I try making eye contact with people that are walking towards me, and they basically turn their heads somewhere else, since I guess they're afraid to stare at my skin imperfections or something... I'm not even sure.

I feel exactly the same way. I can't look people straight in the face because I feel like they are judging me, thinking Dear lord, what is THAT?! But in reality, they are thinking the same thing about how they look.

A very wise person once told me that nobody really cares about how YOU look...they are too busy caring about how they look. Thats pretty darn true. I just think about that when I talk to people if I have a particulary gross pimple going on. It helps a lot. :)

Also, I've discovered that when it comes down to it, its not your looks that count. Its the spirit inside the body that really matters. Sometimes its hard for me to remember that, but its true.

Eye contact is more of a sign of hostility unless it's a member of the opposite sex. Having a conversation with solid eye contact is akward an unneccisary. Ever look a dog into the eyes? It'll start growling and become aggressive.

What? That makes no sense. So if I look another guy square in the eye, I'm being hostile? You're comparing humans to dogs?

What? That makes no sense. So if I look another guy square in the eye, I'm being hostile? You're comparing humans to dogs?

Ever been on a subway in NYC?

No I haven't. How is this relevant?

Depending on the time of day (because of what kind of a crowd you could expect to be on the train), eye contact can result in "what the hell are you looking at?"

It's always a great way to scare someone, if it's someone smaller than you that you know would back down, or something with a small ego, try just following them around and keeping constant eye contact without saying anything. They freak out. It's extremely intimidated and it feels like everyone second the person starring you down is going to pull out a knife and drag you to the nearest greyhound.

100%

I hate it though.

Depending on the time of day (because of what kind of a crowd you could expect to be on the train), eye contact can result in "what the hell are you looking at?"

Um....yeah thats totally different. If you STARE at people that you don't even know, then people can get mad and say "what the hell are you looking at."

BUT if youre in a conversation with someone and look at them it's normal and actually a good thing to do.

Perhaps making eye contact with complete strangers in a public subway is a bad idea, but conversations with people you know is completely different! Avoiding eye contact when speaking to a friend is considered rude, shy, and aloof, while meeting their eyes is considered confident and affirming. NOT hostile. And dogs? That's ridiculous! Social science and psychology are determined by studying humans, not members of the animal kingdom!

Uhm, reread what I said.

I was just saying that staring at someone's eyes CAN be a sign of hostility (mainly said it to joke around). I didn't say it always will be.

Hell, I mostly stare at a woman's eyes when I flirt, and I go on and on and on about it.

But in any event, I always look at someone's eyes when I talk to them. It looks dishonest if I don't

Am I the only one that tries to keep eye contact?

I do this because I know if I glance away it gives them a chance to wander around my face, whereas if i keep eye contact it keeps their eyes occupied

Hmm I'm not too bad with looking people in the eye lol, surprisingly.

I used to be really bad at it though, I just try to block out the negative thoughts as much as I can.

Now, I'll tell you what I do hate, going through big crowds of people while alone.

yeah got the same problem i just had an job interview and u suppose to make eye contact but it's really hard for me.

i feel like people straight up eye rape me.

when i'm talking to anybody that intimidates me, yeah. i can't look them in the eye. i've always been shy, acne or no acne.

i try to, though. but i always have to look away some time or another and the other person must think i'm crazy.