Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
samariah

discovered hydrating, healing new way to clean skin!

ok lately my skin hasnt really been breaking out. however, it has been quite dry and i think its due to cleansing too much with soaps (even though its only made with organic saponified oils). so i was researching and found out a method of cleansing that instead of harshly stripping your skin of oils, it gently removes the dirt while keeping your face hydrated. my face honestly looks so much softer and smoother in just two days. AND after a day, an entire day, my face isn't even greasy at night. its pretty much virtually the same as it was after i washed. and trust me, this has never happened before. usually im oily within a few hours even if i have no pimples. i think its because my skin was being dried out so harshly before that my body rushed to hydrate it by overpdroducing oils.

anyway, here is a link that describes the method in detail. http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

now, i have been using 100 percent coconut oil instead of the oils mentioned on the site but its still working. you could experiment with different oils. basically you just massage the oil into your face for a few minutes. then you get a washcloth with hot steamy water and press it over your whole face. it opens your pores and cleans them out. then i just gently press/wipe away the excess oil. do not scrub or wipe harshly. just dab it up until your skin has just enough of the oil to be clean, soft and hydrated. its wonderful. hopefully this will be my final answer for cleansing. i never used something this great before.

im going to keep it up for a week and update. im hoping it will really improve the texture of my skin (enlarged pores, roughness) and heal my scars faster. im going to try it with some extra virgin red palm oil i have which is loaded naturally with vitamin E and A.

i use organic extra virgin coconut oil. how could that possibly be bad for your skin? its raw and unprocessed.

i was saying how could extra virgin coconut oil be bad for your skin? not simply because its raw and unprocessed.

dont be so pendantic, you know what i meant. i hate it when people use pointless analogies to try and prove something.

extra virgin coconut oil is really quite nourishing for the skin.

No, the reason you had for it being good for skin was that it was raw an unproccessed.

Also, try not to use big words to sound smart when you can't spell them properly.

*pedantic

im human and i made a typo. i dont think its a big deal. i dont pretend to be perfect.

edit: look i dont want to turn this into some silly little fight so i just am curious to know why you dont think this oil is good for the skin? thanks :)

Samariah,

This is really interesting, and I have not yet heard of it. Does it work to remove makeup as well? Also, I would think using coconut oil would be great, as coconut oil is supposed to do wonders for your skin. I will check out that website, thanks! :)

i think its because my skin was being dried out so harshly before that my body rushed to hydrate it by overpdroducing oils.

That's a highly dubious theory, to say the least. I really doubt that there's any scientific evidence in support of it.

i think its because my skin was being dried out so harshly before that my body rushed to hydrate it by overpdroducing oils.

That's a highly dubious theory, to say the least. I really doubt that there's any scientific evidence in support of it.

I'd say that is a highly possible theory. The same thing happened to me and to many other people who did what I did. Once I stopped over washing my face, the oil produced isn't that much the same as before. From what I observe, the oil is now beneath the skin instead of sitting on top of it. =]

I'd say that is a highly possible theory. The same thing happened to me and to many other people who did what I did. Once I stopped over washing my face, the oil produced isn't that much the same as before. From what I observe, the oil is now beneath the skin instead of sitting on top of it. =]

There have been medical studies showing that washing the skin doesn't have any influence on sebum production, and there have been long threads on that very topic right here on the acne.org discussion forums, exploring that issue in great detail. You need to read those threads so that you can understand the medical evidence, and stop repeating what is nothing more than an urban myth.

Oh well, if you really do believe in the science that told you to wash your face with acid and all those things but still you break out and have lots of oil above your skin then so be it.

This is what we discovered ourselves and now enjoying an oil free face without doing anything at all.

There have been medical studies showing that washing the skin doesn't have any influence on sebum production, and there have been long threads on that very topic right here on the acne.org discussion forums, exploring that issue in great detail. You need to read those threads so that you can understand the medical evidence, and stop repeating what is nothing more than an urban myth.

once i stoped washing my face with soaps / cleansers my face became alot less oily

whys that then ?

Poison Ivy is raw and unproccessed

How could that possibly be bad for your skin?

It's only bad for your skin because most people are allergic to it. Most people aren't allergic to coconut and other such oils. And people have been applying them to their skin for thousands of years.

I do this once in a while using any one of several oils I have on hand. Jojoba, almond, olive, etc. plus castor oil. Look for high squalene content when picking an oil.

I've heard a lot of people say that after massaging in the oil for a bit, they witnessed blackheads 'popping out.'

once i stoped washing my face with soaps / cleansers my face became alot less oily

whys that then ?

Unless you tested it scientifically with something like Sebutape test-strips or a Sebumeter, I don't believe you. There are pitfalls associated with casual day-to-day observations of sebum which probably queered what you THOUGHT you were seeing.

I don't notice a change in oil levels personally, but whenever I oil cleanse I always end seeing a bunch of sebum plugs on my cotton balls as I massage and steam.

i used to use this method every night.

i would use extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, grapeseed oil and a bit of tea tree oil.

i think the grapeseed oil actually broke me out worse,

so i stopped using the OCM method.

you really need to experiment with different ratios to find whats perfect for your skin.

it is a good method though, if you have dry skin.